PDA

View Full Version : All-time top 10 worst NBA contracts

Scoots
01-19-2016, 05:03 PM
The worst contracts based on what the team got for the deal, not on if they were great then got injured or whatever. Just what the team got for their money after it was signed.

The first one that comes to mind for me is Eddie Curry but he's almost certainly not the worst all time.

Thoughts?

Chronz
01-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Brian Grant duping Riley into a huge extension was so bad that it kept the Lakers out of contention until it was off the books.

valade16
01-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Allan Houston's was so bad I believe they created the amnesty rule specifically with his contract in mind.

Gander13SM
01-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Gilbert Arenas? They only stopped paying him last year despite the fact he stopped playing in 2012.

Scoots
01-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Wasn't Arenas VERY productive for at least a couple years of that contract? I can't remember.

tredigs
01-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Gilbert Arenas? They only stopped paying him last year despite the fact he stopped playing in 2012.

He was one of the premier players in the game at the time of that contract though. Any team with space would have given him that.

tredigs
01-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Anyway, Kobe.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Rose's current contract with the Bulls
Brian Grant and Arenas as someone said
Erick Dampier
Grant Hill considering what he produced after signing the contract
Rashard Lewis
Tim Thomas

Then the Knicks. Houston, Curry, Jerome James, Marbury.

IndyRealist
01-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Given that we're ignoring injuries you have to exclude Grant Hill and Derrick Rose. If uninjured they were worth the money. Rashard Lewis is a great example.

Gotta throw Jermaine O'Neal out there. Even aside from the injuries he just wasn't worth the 7yr max. Then you have Starbury, Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, Rudy Gay. Basically, any guy in the last two decades who signed a deal and was immediately called "untradeable". Of course, most of those guys got traded anyway....

LOb0
01-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Well everyone named the really bad ones. Garald Wallace 40m was outrageous. Ben Wallace getting 60M from the Bulls was also terrible.

Pfeifer
01-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Big Country Reeves.

Scoots
01-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Given that we're ignoring injuries you have to exclude Grant Hill and Derrick Rose. If uninjured they were worth the money. Rashard Lewis is a great example.

I meant that injuries were no excuse. It's about what the player produced for the team's money not what they COULD have produced.

Gander13SM
01-19-2016, 07:44 PM
He was one of the premier players in the game at the time of that contract though. Any team with space would have given him that.

Right but that doesn't change the fact they were paying him millions 3 years after he left the team.

That's a bad contract. Any way you cut it. He was broken and lazy about a year into that deal. Played horribly for most of it.

Also, when you take taxes into account Joe Johnsons actually makes more than Kobe. So I'll go with J.J as well.

Vinylman
01-20-2016, 12:27 PM

He had already been hurt and wasn't near his peak when he signed his last deal... Washington took a huge risk and failed miserably

As for kobe's last contract... I agree that it was horrid one but it was driven by the TWC deal so it didn't hurt the Lakers financially plus it was only 2 years...

KnicksorBust
01-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Allan Houston's was so bad I believe they created the amnesty rule specifically with his contract in mind.

And then the Knicks didn't even use it on him. :laugh:

Tony_Starks
01-20-2016, 01:27 PM
It wasn't the worst ever but I still remember the hilarious laughter I got out of David Kahn giving Darko a 20million dollar deal and claiming he was going to have a allstar awakening like Webber did when he came to Sacramento....leaving C Webb to say "lets not put me and Darko in the same sentence!!" lol

JasonJohnHorn
01-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Worst contract EVER was EASILY Danny Ferry's contract with the Cavs. Rookie contract paid him more than HOF legends. in 94/95, he was making more than: Jordan, Ewing, Hakeem, Dikembe, Hill, Stockton, Malone, Miller, Rodman and Richmond, among many others, and in some cases was make more than two or three of them combined!

Can you imagine?

And the contract was for like 10 years! He's the reason they wanted to put a cap on how long a contract could be, ad was one of the reasons they pushed for a firm cap on what rookies could make.

That ate up their cap for a decade and made it impossible to build around an amazing core.

WORST CONTRACT EVER!!!