PDA

View Full Version : Predict ESPN's Inevitable TOP-10 Centers list

Chronz
01-16-2016, 09:22 PM
Not a list of who you think should be selected but given what we've seen thus far from the voters, who do you think they will select.

Im going :
KAJ
Wilt
Russ
Shaq
Hakeem
Moses
Walton
Robinson
Ewing
Reed

Hawkeye15
01-16-2016, 09:32 PM
It should be:

KAJ
Wilt
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Robinson
Malone
Ewing
Walton
Reed

but they will probably value winning chips on the most stacked team in the history of sports, and move Russell up some.

J_M_B
01-16-2016, 09:39 PM
KAJ
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
Russell
Robinson
Moses
Ewing
Reed
Walton

flea
01-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Walton seems awfully high in Chronz's, but looks like a good prediction. I'll say:

KAJ
Wilt
Russell
Shaq
Hakeem
Moses
Robinson
Ewing
Walton
Reed

Raps18-19 Champ
01-16-2016, 09:54 PM
You guys forgot George Mikan. ESPN would eat that **** up.

Hawkeye15
01-16-2016, 09:57 PM
You guys forgot George Mikan. ESPN would eat that **** up.

they will

HandsOnTheWheel
01-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Russell over Shaq?

ewing
01-17-2016, 12:56 AM
How long was Bill Walton's prime?

ewing
01-17-2016, 12:58 AM
where do you guys rank Hank Gathers on the all time SF list?

mrblisterdundee
01-17-2016, 02:39 AM
1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
4. Shaquille O'Neal
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Moses Malone
7.David Robinson
8. George Mikan
9. Willis Reed
10. Patrick Ewing

Shammyguy3
01-17-2016, 12:52 PM
1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
2. Bill Russell
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Shaquille O'Neal
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Moses Malone
7. David Robinson
8. Willis Reed
9. Patrick Ewing
10. Bill Walton

my prediction

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 03:36 PM
If I was picking to start a team it would be

Robinson
Hakeem
Shaq
Ewing
Moses
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Laimbeer
Thurmond

LOb0
01-17-2016, 03:42 PM
If I was picking to start a team it would be

Robinson
Hakeem
Shaq
Ewing
Moses
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Laimbeer
Thurmond

Reported.

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Reported.

why? What is wrong with having a 29-11-5-4-2 at Center for number one. Also he's the most versatile of all the centers.

I'm reporting your post

LOb0
01-17-2016, 03:56 PM
why? What is wrong with having a 29-11-5-4-2 at Center for number one. Also he's the most versatile of all the centers.

I'm reporting your post

You think that Ewing is better than Kareem?

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2016, 06:56 PM
I think they'll go

Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Moses
D-Rob
Ewing
Mourning
Parish

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Why does everyone think Kareem was the most versatile center? there were better centers than him. He was just tall.

ManningToTyree
01-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Why does everyone think Kareem was the most versatile center? there were better centers than him. He was just tall. the NBAs all time leading scorer was only good because he was tall?

LOb0
01-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Why does everyone think Kareem was the most versatile center? there were better centers than him. He was just tall.

lmao he was just tall. You're the worst poster that has ever lived.

valade16
01-17-2016, 07:36 PM
How long was Bill Walton's prime?

Essentially 2 incomplete seasons.

But in those two seasons he won MVP, DPOY, a title, Finals MVP, All-D 1st and All-NBA 1st.

It's a shame he got hurt because he was piling on the accolades.

flea
01-17-2016, 07:39 PM

Now I know you didn't watch any of the 80s Lakers, if thinking Rambis was a major contributor wasn't enough. Kareem: just tall. Hehe okay dude, guess I'm the hood rat for seeing his elite all-around game (and I haven't even seen much of his prime).

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 07:41 PM
the NBAs all time leading scorer was only good because he was tall?

He's good, you took it out of context. I'm not saying he was like the 100th best center. I'm saying that there were better centers than him that were just as tall and more athletic. More versatile too. Like Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson.

Also remember Olajuwon beating him everytime and remember Moses always beating him and even sweeping him a few times.

Also remember Kareem never really winning a title without another HOF PG.

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Now I know you didn't watch any of the 80s Lakers, if thinking Rambis was a major contributor wasn't enough. Kareem: just tall. Hehe okay dude, guess I'm the hood rat for seeing his elite all-around game (and I haven't even seen much of his prime).

I watched his entire career. He wasn't a great high leaper off two legs. Also played in the era when the league was the worst. ABA had most of the best players back then. The league was better even in the late 60's.
Then by the 80's he wasn't anything as close to Magic Johnson. That was Magic's team and the game plan was built around Magic. So stop pretending that was Kareem's team. That is a bold faced lie.

Stop pretending that Kareem was as versatile and athletic or as strong as someone like SHAQUILLE ONEAL
David Robinson the Admiral or Hakeem the Dream. Also Kareem couldn't hit a shot outside of 15 feet to save his life like Ewing could.

Kareem was good, but why all the robots putting him first? Oh because he played for the Lakers Franchise and rode Magic to 5 rings.

flea
01-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Better scorer than all of them, better passer than all of them, better shot blocker than all but maybe Robinson. Owned the league in prime, won at least 4 titles as his team's best player. Yeah, "just tall."

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Better scorer than all of them, better passer than all of them, better shot blocker than all but maybe Robinson. Owned the league in prime, won at least 4 titles as his team's best player. Yeah, "just tall."
He wasn't the best shot blocker, nor was he the best scorer. Shaq averaged more ppg. Nor was he the best passer, Olajuwon, Wilt, and even Shaq were better passers. Nor was he the best player on his team that won. Magic was the leader of all those Laker Showtime. They didn't become Showtime until Magic was there. Infact kareem was missing the playoffs each season without Magic.

Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, and Mutombo were all better shot blockers.

He wouldn't stand a chance against Shaq. Shaq is way too strong for him in the post.

DavidGrant
01-17-2016, 08:26 PM
It's not just as simplistic as just simply looking at it and seeing who played for the Lakers so he's the best. That is how an idiot looks at it and that is what all the robots are doing.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2016, 08:35 PM

I'm reporting your post

any list that doesn't start with Wilt/KAJ in whatever order is already wrong...

Hawkeye15
01-17-2016, 08:36 PM
I watched his entire career. He wasn't a great high leaper off two legs. Also played in the era when the league was the worst. ABA had most of the best players back then. The league was better even in the late 60's.
Then by the 80's he wasn't anything as close to Magic Johnson. That was Magic's team and the game plan was built around Magic. So stop pretending that was Kareem's team. That is a bold faced lie.

Stop pretending that Kareem was as versatile and athletic or as strong as someone like SHAQUILLE ONEAL
David Robinson the Admiral or Hakeem the Dream. Also Kareem couldn't hit a shot outside of 15 feet to save his life like Ewing could.

Kareem was good, but why all the robots putting him first? Oh because he played for the Lakers Franchise and rode Magic to 5 rings.

KAJ in the 70's, was only rivaled by MJ's 90's dude.

flea
01-17-2016, 08:49 PM
He wasn't the best shot blocker, nor was he the best scorer. Shaq averaged more ppg. Nor was he the best passer, Olajuwon, Wilt, and even Shaq were better passers. Nor was he the best player on his team that won. Magic was the leader of all those Laker Showtime. They didn't become Showtime until Magic was there. Infact kareem was missing the playoffs each season without Magic.

Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, and Mutombo were all better shot blockers.

He wouldn't stand a chance against Shaq. Shaq is way too strong for him in the post.

Kareem averaged 3 more PPG than Shaq in his prime playoff run when he was a #1 winning rings. Any way you slice their primes, even most favorably to Shaq, Kareem scored more. He was the best scorer at the C position, you're in the minority if you disagree.

As to passing, he was way better than Dream and easily better than Shaq. The "Shaq as elite passer" is only peddled by Lakers homers, which I assume you are now since you want to credit Magic for everything Kareem did. Shaq had more turnovers than assists for his career in the regular and postseason. He only had a positive differential 4 times in the postseason - Kareem 6 and they didn't even track turnovers until he turned 30. He was a dominant inside passer, Shaq was merely good at passing out of doubles.

But ya know, you're welcome to your opinion of the facts I suppose.

xbrackattackx
01-17-2016, 08:55 PM
i watched his entire career. He wasn't a great high leaper off two legs. Also played in the era when the league was the worst. Aba had most of the best players back then. The league was better even in the late 60's.
Then by the 80's he wasn't anything as close to magic johnson. That was magic's team and the game plan was built around magic. So stop pretending that was kareem's team. That is a bold faced lie.

Stop pretending that kareem was as versatile and athletic or as strong as someone like shaquille oneal
david robinson the admiral or hakeem the dream. Also kareem couldn't hit a shot outside of 15 feet to save his life like ewing could.

Kareem was good, but why all the robots putting him first? Oh because he played for the lakers franchise and rode magic to 5 rings.

not a list of who you think should be selected but given what we've seen thus far from the voters, who do you think they will select.

im going :
Kaj
wilt
russ
shaq
hakeem
moses
walton
robinson
ewing
reed

k. Way to get mad at everyone for you not reading OP.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2016, 08:58 PM
KAJ had 6 MVP awards in the 70's. SIX! 2 Finals MVP's. 15 times all NBA. 10 times all defense. Number 1 in all sorts of scoring categories. He made the all NBA team as a rookie for christ's sake.

To me, only MJ is better. I can take a Wilt argument, but get the **** outta here with the Shaq nonsense. Let alone Dream, Ewing, Robinson, or any other center not named Chamberlain.

ewing
01-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Essentially 2 incomplete seasons.

But in those two seasons he won MVP, DPOY, a title, Finals MVP, All-D 1st and All-NBA 1st.

It's a shame he got hurt because he was piling on the accolades.

Yeah, he was before my time. he seems like a fundamentally brilliant player but he definitely didn't do it for long enough to be a top 10 center.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Yeah, he was before my time. he seems like a fundamentally brilliant player but he definitely didn't do it for long enough to be a top 10 center.

Walton broke his foot riding a stationary bike. Yeah, he was that guy

DboneG
01-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Top 10 Centers of all time

1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Russell
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem
6. Moses
7. Robinson
8. Ewing
9. Reed
10. Walton

kingsdelez24
01-19-2016, 01:31 AM
I don't see why people put Shaq in front of Hakeem. Shaq himself even admits that Hakeem was better than him, "I could never break him" he would say. Hakeem dominated Shaq in the 95 finals as well

Chronz
01-19-2016, 03:43 AM
I don't see why people put Shaq in front of Hakeem. Shaq himself even admits that Hakeem was better than him, "I could never break him" he would say. Hakeem dominated Shaq in the 95 finals as well

He said that in comparison to the plenty whom he could intimidate, he would say the same thing about Duncan in the coming years. Thats him holding them in high regard, not higher than himself.

Hakeem didn't "dominate" anyone, I dont know why people cant just say a PRIME Hakeem outplayed a YOUNG Shaq, it has to be "dominated". Shaq played incredible his first Finals, just not better than the leagues best player. It wasn't like when Hakeem dominated Ewing or D-Rob, Shaq held his own, unlike that time when Shaq (closer to his peak) took on an aging Hakeem (All-NBA) and shat on him in the first round. THATS Domination. Hakeem just barely outplayed a baby Shaq and needed more help to contain The Diesel.

Chronz
01-19-2016, 03:48 AM
KAJ had 6 MVP awards in the 70's. SIX! 2 Finals MVP's. 15 times all NBA. 10 times all defense. Number 1 in all sorts of scoring categories. He made the all NBA team as a rookie for christ's sake.

To me, only MJ is better. I can take a Wilt argument, but get the **** outta here with the Shaq nonsense. Let alone Dream, Ewing, Robinson, or any other center not named Chamberlain.

Shaq vs Wilt is one of my favorite comparisons, why dont you buy it ? Shaq won more, produced more in both the RS and PS. Whats the intangible argument?

ewing
01-19-2016, 06:46 AM
Wilt slept with 20,000 women

NYKalltheway
01-19-2016, 07:41 AM
If Hakeem played today, he'd be rated as a top 3 center, that's for sure.
Shaq's the most dominant center of all time (adding the competition factor; which was in decline, though) with Wilt and Kareem following.
Russell is the greatest defensive center of all time.
The Admiral and Ewing were two of the greatest all around centers who could also spread the floor to some extent.
Mikan forced the game to change the rules twice.
Moses Malone was effective as hell. Then you have other guys such as Walton, Reed, Thurmond, Cowens, Bellamy, Parish, Lanier, Unseld, Gilmore, Johnston and perhaps McAdoo if he's considered a center. And perhaps some more that I forget.
Inevitably, Wilt's the most overrated of them all and usually Robinson and Ewing the most underrated ones.

My ESPN prediction:
1) Kareem
2) Wilt
3) Russell
4) Shaq
5) Hakeem
6) Mikan
7) Malone
8) Robinson
9) Walton
10) Ewing

Hawkeye15
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Shaq vs Wilt is one of my favorite comparisons, why dont you buy it ? Shaq won more, produced more in both the RS and PS. Whats the intangible argument?

KAJ was better younger, and lasted much longer. He was also just as dominant in his peak. His accolades take a dump on Shaq's. They made a rule change in college because of the guy. He had more of an impact on the court, and to the game, than Shaq. The playoffs, Shaq matches up with any center to play. But as a whole, Wilt/KAJ are above the Shaq/Dream/Duncan tier to me.

CarolinaCDM
01-19-2016, 12:29 PM
KAJ
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D-Rob
Malone
Russell
Ewing
Yao
Mutombo

Hawkeye15
01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I wonder where Sabonis would rank had he been able to come over at say, 22

NYKalltheway
01-19-2016, 01:24 PM
I wonder where Sabonis would rank had he been able to come over at say, 22

As usual, that'd depend on his surroundinbs. In an average team, he'd be another Ewing. In a good team, he'd be like Hakeem.

Chronz
01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
KAJ was better younger, and lasted much longer. He was also just as dominant in his peak. His accolades take a dump on Shaq's. They made a rule change in college because of the guy. He had more of an impact on the court, and to the game, than Shaq. The playoffs, Shaq matches up with any center to play. But as a whole, Wilt/KAJ are above the Shaq/Dream/Duncan tier to me.

I meant Shaq vs Wilt. Everything you said about Kareem would technically still apply in a comparison vs Wilt as much as it does Shaq. So why does Wilt get to be in that tier but not Shaq? Shouldn't KAJ just have his own tier given your response?

ewing
01-19-2016, 02:58 PM
I meant Shaq vs Wilt. Everything you said about Kareem would technically still apply in a comparison vs Wilt as much as it does Shaq. So why does Wilt get to be in that tier but not Shaq? Shouldn't KAJ just have his own tier given your response?

cause Wilt slept with 20,000 women (that has to count for something)

europagnpilgrim
02-07-2016, 01:41 AM
wilt norman chamberlain

then Russell-shaq-Abdul jabbar

hakeem-robinson-ewing-moses-mutombo etc

big dipper-Abdul jabbar-diesel were the most dominant from HS to ncaa to Pro game combined, along with Russell, Russell avg like 24ppg vs wilt headup so he could have easily scored more back in his day against others had he wanted to so I take that into major consideration, diesel was a modern day version of wilt but he didn't have the 15 foot bank shot or finger rolls in his arsenal like big dipper and wilt went up against the most dominant dynasty in all of major sports history while having the best all time w-l team records until bulls 96' season as a young and old man, with two different squads. had wilt played with Baylor and j west his rookie year then his ring total would be quite different as they would have mopped the floor against that dynasty Celtics era, wilt took those celtics teams basically by himself to 6 and 7 games with just another all star, imagine with 2 all nba hall of fame caliber, no contest unless rigged

old man coming off 2 knee surgeries wilt also held his own against Abdul jabbar and had you flipped the script and had a aging knee surgery old man jabbar going up against the young wilt it would have been a pure massacre from a 1 on 1 standpoint, wilt norman chamberlain would have embarrassed those 90's centers because they would have challenged him and wilt could play a team all by himself in any era and would have broke a lot of players arms and confidence in the process of trying to block his dipper dunks

unseld-mikan-eaton-reed-ming and others could and should be mentioned and some may even make a top 10 here and there but none could touch wilt-jabbar-shaq-Russell as far as solo dominance, Russell as a pure athlete was on par with Wilt he just didn't have the 7'4'' height as his competitor did but counting ncaa he won like 13 titles in 15yrs or something like that, unreal dominance