PDA

View Full Version : What if the Nets had acquired Pierce/KG just 1 year sooner?

Chronz
01-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Would prolly never happen considering the Celtics just came off a season in which they were 1 win away away from making the Finals for the 3rd time in 5 years. Boston would damn near riot being robbed of a competitive team they had grown with. Then again, Ray did leave them as well.

So lets say Ainge throws in the towel vs Miami. Does this same trade a year sooner make Brooklyn a contender or are the initial problems the same (KG plays the 5 where Lopez needs to play and lack of an athlete on the perimeter defensively). If so, how many years would you have to go back before they would've been contenders.

A few things to consider, the Nets were a 49-33 team with their nucleus of Deron-JJ-Brook all had healthy years/post seasons. Pierce and KG were struggling with a .500 season (tho above .500 without Rondo), both were abit weary from carrying a greater offensive load when Rondo went down. The important thing to note was that both were entirely capable of carrying the load for the regular season, Rondo has never been an elite offensive player so he was easily made up for, but what he provided was a workhorse of a player that allowed these vets to preserve their legs for the playoffs. He was also sorely missed in a playoff series because he allowed the team more versatility.

Here are their relevant numbers this 2013 season:
Boston was #7 in DRTG and both players posted solid defensive marks.
Pierce: 18.6-6.3-4.8 in 33.8MPG (Played 28 in Brooklyn)
O-RTG: 106, PER: 19.1
KG: 14.8-7.8-2.3 in 29.7MPG (Played 20 in Brooklyn)
PER: 19.2
Those numbers are well within their prior season range so its a good baseline to suggest it was their last truly prime season, very much on the low grade of their prime but not the steep falloff that was yet to come.

Deron averaged 19-7.7-3 with the greatest efficiency he would ever display with the Nets (118 O-RTG). And he upped those numbers to 20.6-8.6 in the playoff series vs Chicago.

Lopez was fully beasting and enjoying an All-Star campaign with 23 and 8.3 boards on high efficiency.

In other words, we're adding a younger PP+KG to Deron and Brook at their best together. They were done in vs a Chicago team that wasn't anything special but had an elite coach at the helm. He completely disregarded Gerald Wallace and lived with him hitting a respectable number of 3's overall but not at the level required to enhance his teams spacing. JJ was his usual terrible self come playoffs so he wasn't the guy to take pressure off the stars.

So what say you, can KG and PP make Brooklyn a contender a year sooner?

ewing
01-16-2016, 09:02 PM
good theoretical chronz. one to think about when more sober :)

LOb0
01-16-2016, 09:31 PM
They'd give Miami a run for their money. I don't think they'd beat SA that year.

Its hard to say, they match up well with Miami and that year in Boston they were desperate for someone to carry the offense. So adding healthy Deron, JJ and Lopez would have been a god send. It goes 7 against Miami and goes either way. I'd pick the Heat but its very close.

As for your Bulls Nets example I think that series against Toronto the following year showed what they brought to the table. Pierce gave them that edge and they beat the higher seed. They wouldn't have choked away like that with PP and KG.

D-Leethal
01-17-2016, 01:27 PM
The trade would have made them worse, just like it did the first time. No defined roles, no lateral speed or athleticism, no offense/defense balance. The following year they only started winning games when Brook went down and their roster gained a little bit of balance by default.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Lol that trade was just downright awful. They gave up a top 5 pick this year for 1 playoff series win.

LOb0
01-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Lol that trade was just downright awful. They gave up a top 5 pick this year for 1 playoff series win.

And 2 more after that. I don't see the Nets improving over that span.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-17-2016, 03:52 PM
And 2 more after that. I don't see the Nets improving over that span.

Exactly. It was pretty obvious that those picks would be so valuable yet they gave it up for aging stars that cost the team millions of dollars.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-17-2016, 04:53 PM
A year to late for KG, Pierce. Kinda reminds me of the same deal of Barkley and Pippen going to Rockets a year to late for rings. Missed the window. Close but no cigar.

Alayla
01-17-2016, 06:00 PM
still wouldnt have made them a better team fit is imporant.

Corey
01-17-2016, 08:28 PM
The price for them would have been even higher.

BoSox47
01-17-2016, 09:10 PM
The celtics rebuild would be one year further in advanced and they would have probably received a better haul due to the slight decrease in age.

Brooklyn would have still fell to miami.

One thing I am curious about is the fact Brook lopez and joe johnson have expressed their willingness to stay. Why?