PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Memphis.

Gander13SM
01-16-2016, 01:29 PM
They've been up and down all year. Mostly down. But their roster hasnt had any major changes to its core.

So what's wrong?

Normally Memphis have been up and down offensively but their defense has seen them through. But they're even struggling on that side.

Last year they were 4th in defensive efficiency. In fact they haven't been outside the top 10 in defensive efficiency since 2010.

This year they're currently 16th in defensive efficiency. And 27th in offensive efficiency. That's not a good combination.

So is it coaching? The roster? Both?

What do you think they need to change and how would you do it?

North Yorker
01-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Zbo's aging (although still pretty good), Gasol is regressing both offensively and defensively this season, and Conley is injured and struggling with his shot.

TrueFan420
01-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Zbo is aging, Tony Allen's aging, and Conley is dealing with injuries.

LOb0
01-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Its time to blow it up. They should be trying to get draft picks and young players.

ewing
01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
i agree with the aging comments. they are also seeing there window close and maybe tuning out a little. I really like this team, i just don't think they did a very good job addressing there short coming. I was hopeful Jeff Green could be big for them but thats been a disaster. I wonder if he resurfaces somewhere as a good player.

Chronz
01-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Im actually surprised it didn't happen sooner but Zbo staved off father time for one last prime year. He can still bully you in the post but hes more slow footed than ever before so hes lost any semblance of a PnP game cuz guys just run him off any sort of outlet shot. Hes not even a net neutral defender at this point and Gasol cant cover for him anymore. Gasol is the teams primary PnR guy so ZBo's lack of an outlet jumper is what really hurts them. Post up shots account for more than 38% of both of the bigs usage and they are shooting below 40% on those shots. Its not really opening up the game for the perimeter guys since they really dont have any outside of Conley worth a damn offensively.

The problem with this team is that it has to grit everything out all the time, that was always their mantra but they used to also win big, its actually amazing that they have the record they have but I dont expect that to last. I dont think their recent small ball set up is going to save them. They need an injection of youth and a good draft pick might help with that, I dunno, Ive quit NCAA til March.

Jeff Green has always underachieved and it spreads to his teams IMO. Hes borderline unplayable, Id rather have Wesley Johnson/Mbah Moute and Paul Pierce starting for me and thats saying something.