PDA

View Full Version : Who should the sixers trade? Oka or Noel?

More-Than-Most
01-15-2016, 09:30 AM
This is an article and a good one on why they should trade OKA... I think Oka would be really really good if he had help around him but him and Noel cannot play together... So should the sixers trade him and Keep Noel? With Embiid coming back and looking bigger and better than ever and with his upside being insanely massive Oka seems to be the odd man out.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/the-case-for-trading-jahlil-okafor/

PhillyFaninLA
01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Okafer has a lot more value and I think one has to be traded. I think Noel and Embiid (if he can be healthy may work, and I don't think Embiid and Okafer can work).

I have a win win trade.

Okafer to Washington for Beal and 2 unprotected first round picks. This is assuming Beal agrees to resign with us, it can be in the offseason but I want the verbal commitment at least.

I don't see Beal and Wall every really syncing up, and Okafer and Wall may mean that Duncan is either a Wizard or on the Thunder next year (most likely Thunder)...Okafer and Wall may play better together than Wall and Beal.

Beal gives us our shooting guard for the next decade, to go along with 2 bigs, Grant, Saric, and whatever we get out of next years draft. Colengelo also said this week (i read an article) that all the resources are in place and its time to start using them. Beal also gives the Sixers an offensive weapon that fits with our other players.

IndyRealist
01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Unless Noel gets injured his value couldn't be lower. Trade Okafor, and Noel will likely look like an all-star. The twin towers approach is always tempting, I mean you can't have enough size. But practically in today's NBA if one of your two bigs isn't shooting 3s, you're screwed.

IndyRealist
01-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Okafer has a lot more value and I think one has to be traded. I think Noel and Embiid (if he can be healthy may work, and I don't think Embiid and Okafer can work).

I have a win win trade.

Okafer to Washington for Beal and 2 unprotected first round picks. This is assuming Beal agrees to resign with us, it can be in the offseason but I want the verbal commitment at least.

I don't see Beal and Wall every really syncing up, and Okafer and Wall may mean that Duncan is either a Wizard or on the Thunder next year (most likely Thunder)...Okafer and Wall may play better together than Wall and Beal.

Beal gives us our shooting guard for the next decade, to go along with 2 bigs, Grant, Saric, and whatever we get out of next years draft. Colengelo also said this week (i read an article) that all the resources are in place and its time to start using them. Beal also gives the Sixers an offensive weapon that fits with our other players.

People have Beal in the top 10 SGs in the league. I doubt he's getting traded with picks.

Kyben36
01-15-2016, 10:49 AM
if the 76ers trade okafor, its another year backwards, which i really dont understand for that team,

ewing
01-15-2016, 10:59 AM
People have Beal in the top 10 SGs in the league. I doubt he's getting traded with picks.

or signing with the Sixers

Pierzynski4Prez
01-15-2016, 11:03 AM
76ers should just trade them all away and start over again. This time not drafting 3 guys at the same position.

ewing
01-15-2016, 11:07 AM
OKA is 20 years old and the only thing the sixers have that looks like a potential foundation player. Trading him to make room for the guy that hasn't played basketball in 2 years makes little sense to me.

ewing
01-15-2016, 11:15 AM
the Sixer totally tanked for 3 years in a row in hopes of landing a guy that could develop into a top 10 player in the league. Now that they have a guy that potentially could be a top 10 player they should trade him- makes sense

Yanks All Day
01-15-2016, 11:24 AM
The Sixers aren't one or two pieces away from contention. They're about seven players away. Okafor is a better player than Noel and has more trade value. He'll get a better return. I'd move Jahlil solely on the premise that it'd make rebuilding quicker.

nycericanguy
01-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Okafor for many reasons.

1) he can get a better return than Noel
2) poor defensive bigs are extremely difficult to build around these days. Noel is much easier to build a team with
3) All the incidents just 3 months into the season, Okafor seems like the most immature rookie of this class.

But really, Hinkie shot himself in the foot. He wants a superstar, but he seems to think that Superstar will just come in and immediately be a superstar. These guys need to GROW into that role. But how does a guy grow into that role with the environment Philly has? No vets, D-league players around him, the best player on the team is Noel who is competing with Okafor himself. Okafor has not been put in a position for him to succeed. Even the D'antoni hiring goes against OKafor.

5ass
01-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Trade Okafor and your building your team around Noel and Embiid. Do you really want your two building blocks being two 7 footers with a history of injuries? Not very smart IMO.

Wade n Fade
01-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Trade Noel in a deal for DeMar Derozan perhaps. Gives Philly a quality guard with a decent ceiling to improve and he is a hard worker. Toronto could use another rebounding big man so they can move away from Patrick Patterson and Bismack Biyombo.

bucketss
01-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Trade Noel in a deal for DeMar Derozan perhaps. Gives Philly a quality guard with a decent ceiling to improve and he is a hard worker. Toronto could use another rebounding big man so they can move away from Patrick Patterson and Bismack Biyombo.

not really, jonas and bismack are already pretty good rebounders..., ppat is important because he stretches the floor for us to open the lane for our guards.

kingkenny01
01-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Both for second round picks, the sixers way

Alayla
01-15-2016, 09:34 PM
the Sixer totally tanked for 3 years in a row in hopes of landing a guy that could develop into a top 10 player in the league. Now that they have a guy that potentially could be a top 10 player they should trade him- makes sense

Mark my words Okafor will NEVER be a top 10 player.

Alayla
01-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Trade Okafor and your building your team around Noel and Embiid. Do you really want your two building blocks being two 7 footers with a history of injuries? Not very smart IMO.

Aside from the injury he was drafted with Noel has been very healthy very consistently?
Embiid would be the guy you acutally have to worry about but we cant trade him for a bag of chips anyway so why not roll the dice?

Alayla
01-15-2016, 09:39 PM
You trade Okafor and get whatever you feel is the best value offer on the market for him.
His value is still high as you can blame alot of his weaknesses or problems on Philly but that wont last forever.

5ass
01-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Aside from the injury he was drafted with Noel has been very healthy very consistently?
Embiid would be the guy you acutally have to worry about but we cant trade him for a bag of chips anyway so why not roll the dice?

Noel's injury was still pretty serious. He plays with a lot of athleticism and has thin legs. I just don't think it's a good idea to have both as your foundation. Sixers fans will be holding their breaths every time one of them hits the floor.

And I'm not saying you should trade Embiid, but to think of him as your starting center for the next 5-10+ years... I don't know, I wouldn't count on that.

IBleedPurple
01-15-2016, 10:51 PM
the Sixer totally tanked for 3 years in a row in hopes of landing a guy that could develop into a top 10 player in the league. Now that they have a guy that potentially could be a top 10 player they should trade him- makes senseThis. No way Okafor should even be thought of in a trade. Others, sure. Could be 5 years of tanking to get another player of his caliber.

flea
01-15-2016, 10:59 PM

Lol this. Okafor has as much offensive upside as any player in the league. He's not a rim protector but how many of those are there in the league today? Maybe 10? Noel/Okafor can work fine if they do it like the Spurs and bring in a great offensive 4 to back up both their bigs. Sixers's problem isn't Okafor - it's not having a single NBA player on its roster outside of him and Noel (and please don't tell me Ish Smith is something I should care about - my team cut him which means he's not even as good as Norris Cole).

One of the 2 best teams in the game now plays with 2 true bigs and they are far and away the best defensive team out there - largely because nobody can compete with them on the glass and in the paint. Your spacing might hurt with Noel and Okafor on the floor but one of them only needs a mid-range J and it lightens the load a lot. Plus, Okafor is capable of splitting doubles and passing out of them - he's just young.

Crapping your pants at your best player when you haven't even given him a competitive team is the worst move you could make. And in that sense, it's probably exactly what the Sixers will do. Apparently their GM thinks this is baseball.

Alayla
01-16-2016, 02:07 AM
Lol this. Okafor has as much offensive upside as any player in the league. He's not a rim protector but how many of those are there in the league today? Maybe 10? Noel/Okafor can work fine if they do it like the Spurs and bring in a great offensive 4 to back up both their bigs. Sixers's problem isn't Okafor - it's not having a single NBA player on its roster outside of him and Noel (and please don't tell me Ish Smith is something I should care about - my team cut him which means he's not even as good as Norris Cole).

One of the 2 best teams in the game now plays with 2 true bigs and they are far and away the best defensive team out there - largely because nobody can compete with them on the glass and in the paint. Your spacing might hurt with Noel and Okafor on the floor but one of them only needs a mid-range J and it lightens the load a lot. Plus, Okafor is capable of splitting doubles and passing out of them - he's just young.

Crapping your pants at your best player when you haven't even given him a competitive team is the worst move you could make. And in that sense, it's probably exactly what the Sixers will do. Apparently their GM thinks this is baseball.

I repeat mark my words Okafor will NEVER be a top 10 player.

Quinnsanity
01-16-2016, 03:36 AM
Depends what their thought process is, and who's making the decision.

In terms of raw asset valuation, Okafor is far more valuable. He's two years further away from an extension/free agency, which if you estimate Noel to make even a league average salary (and he'll get substantially more), the question then becomes Okafor+several million in cap space vs. Noel. Add in Noel's injury history and Okafor is simply a more valuable asset. If Sam Hinkie is making the decision, he'll keep Okafor.

In a basketball sense, it makes much more sense to keep Noel. Big men who don't space or play great defense are very hard to keep on the floor. Noel is a GREAT defender, Okafor is a miserable defender. Neither shows much in the way of spacing potential (Okafor takes around 26% of his shots beyond 10 feet, Noel 23%, their numbers are similar enough and neither takes 3's). It's easier to surround Noel with players who can cover his offensive deficiencies than it is to surround Okafor with players who can surround his defensive deficiencies because, as a center, his position is just going to have more impact on the game than anyone else on the team. You'd need a great defensive power forward, but most of those guys also happen to be traditional big men who don't space the floor. There are really only two guys who do both at a high enough level. Draymond Green and Serge Ibaka. Something tells me those guys aren't itching to play for Philly. Whereas with Noel, you really only need a power forward who can space. Ryan Anderson MIGHT come to Philly for enough money. It's much easier to find Ryan Andersons than Serge Ibakas. If Jerry Colangelo is making the decision, this is the path he'll likely take.

Of course, we have to see where they end up in the draft. If they get Ben Simmons, their timeline and roster makeup is drastically different than if they get, say, Kris Dunn. So the answer is incomplete anyway.

Quinnsanity
01-16-2016, 03:39 AM

This is another good point, it's way too early to be calling for anyone to be traded. Though Aldridge is not close to as bad on defense as Okafor (but Okafor IS a rookie), and having all-everything defender Kawhi Leonard (not to mention Danny Green, who is arguably the best defensive shooting guard besides Tony Allen in the league as well) helps quite a bit, but yes, there is a model for a two-big team to compete. It's way too early to say these guys CAN'T do anything, especially given the sorry state of the rest of their roster.

ewing
01-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Depends what their thought process is, and who's making the decision.

In terms of raw asset valuation, Okafor is far more valuable. He's two years further away from an extension/free agency, which if you estimate Noel to make even a league average salary (and he'll get substantially more), the question then becomes Okafor+several million in cap space vs. Noel. Add in Noel's injury history and Okafor is simply a more valuable asset. If Sam Hinkie is making the decision, he'll keep Okafor.

In a basketball sense, it makes much more sense to keep Noel. Big men who don't space or play great defense are very hard to keep on the floor. Noel is a GREAT defender, Okafor is a miserable defender. Neither shows much in the way of spacing potential (Okafor takes around 26% of his shots beyond 10 feet, Noel 23%, their numbers are similar enough and neither takes 3's). It's easier to surround Noel with players who can cover his offensive deficiencies than it is to surround Okafor with players who can surround his defensive deficiencies because, as a center, his position is just going to have more impact on the game than anyone else on the team. You'd need a great defensive power forward, but most of those guys also happen to be traditional big men who don't space the floor. There are really only two guys who do both at a high enough level. Draymond Green and Serge Ibaka. Something tells me those guys aren't itching to play for Philly. Whereas with Noel, you really only need a power forward who can space. Ryan Anderson MIGHT come to Philly for enough money. It's much easier to find Ryan Andersons than Serge Ibakas. If Jerry Colangelo is making the decision, this is the path he'll likely take.

Of course, we have to see where they end up in the draft. If they get Ben Simmons, their timeline and roster makeup is drastically different than if they get, say, Kris Dunn. So the answer is incomplete anyway.

You are making sound like Oka is destined to be a brick layer. Have you seen him play? He is skilled as ****, has a really soft touch, shoots 70% from the line, and oh yeah and he's 20. I would be surprised if in two years he wasn't spacing you out to 18 so long as he works. The big question with OKa is attitude and work ethic. At this point Oka could turn into Eddie Curry, Brad Dorethy, or Patrick Ewing. Wait and see.

2-ONE-5
01-16-2016, 02:20 PM
if either is traded i feel confident it will be Noel

2-ONE-5
01-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Mark my words Okafor will NEVER be a top 10 player.

though i already knew you thought this im still marking your worlds. you are entirely to down on him for really no reason. even his D has been steadily approving and his range is increasing.

flea
01-16-2016, 02:33 PM
I think people who haven't watched him don't realize how good of an athlete and how big he is. He has true center size in a league where only maybe half the starting centers have that, and outside of Howard, Drummond, Whiteside, and Jordan I can't really think of a better athlete at the 5. He's not a standout athlete but he's very quick and strong - a lot better than other offensive-minded centers like Cousins, Vucevic, and Lopez.

ewing
01-16-2016, 05:08 PM
if either is traded i feel confident it will be Noel

as should be. I admit i am not a fan and admit i've haven't seen him a lot so when i see him now i am looking to see something in him. that said even Noel fans see him as tyson chandler. if your ceiling is tyson you might wind up being theo ratliff even if you play well and hard. If your ceiling is seen as Pat Ewing you might meet your potential and only be brad doherty.

ewing
01-16-2016, 05:13 PM
I think people who haven't watched him don't realize how good of an athlete and how big he is. He has true center size in a league where only maybe half the starting centers have that, and outside of Howard, Drummond, Whiteside, and Jordan I can't really think of a better athlete at the 5. He's not a standout athlete but he's very quick and strong - a lot better than other offensive-minded centers like Cousins, Vucevic, and Lopez.

yeah despite the off the court stuff he looks way thinner then he did at duke and is explosive moving to the hole. He doesn't look lumbering to me at all. I admit i have really paid attention to him changing ends but i feel like I've seen enough mobility to make me think he doesn't have to be a totally liability on D and it looks like you can use him and play with pace. He just shouldn't be the face of a franchise right now. Thats not his fault. Like i said the off the court stuff is a concern but some guys are wild and work. If he works like Stephen Jackson he has a lot of all star games in front of him

mrblisterdundee
01-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Unless Noel gets injured his value couldn't be lower. Trade Okafor, and Noel will likely look like an all-star. The twin towers approach is always tempting, I mean you can't have enough size. But practically in today's NBA if one of your two bigs isn't shooting 3s, you're screwed.

I don't see why Noel's value would be considered that low. Sure; he can't shoot and probably needs to play center. But he's pretty good defensively, young and athletic. I think he would work great as a smaller, faster center playing next to a shooting power forward, like Dirk Nowitzki or Ryan Anderson.

ewing
01-16-2016, 06:00 PM
I don't see why Noel's value would be considered that low. Sure; he can't shoot and probably needs to play center. But he's pretty good defensively, young and athletic. I think he would work great as a smaller, faster center playing next to a shooting power forward, like Dirk Nowitzki or Ryan Anderson.

i agree.