PDA

View Full Version : How would you build a team around Westbrook and Durant?

ewing
01-14-2016, 11:31 AM
It seems like the combination can have a limiting effect on teammates. Its a great problem to have but i'm not sure how i would ideally build around these two, what philosophy it would be best for them play with etc. What are your thoughts?

Tony_Starks
01-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Westbrook...pretty easily.

Westbrook is the kindof player,like a Lebron or Iverson, that you can surround him with pieces that compliment his game and he will put them on his back.

KD strikes me as more of the player where if you have a team that is already good he can make them great.

Westbrook you can start from scratch and build around.

ewing
01-14-2016, 12:46 PM

Westbrook is the kindof player,like a Lebron or Iverson, that you can surround him with pieces that compliment his game and he will put them on his back.

KD strikes me as more of the player where if you have a team that is already good he can make them great.

I'm what type of players would you look to put around the two and what style should the team play

kingsdelez24
01-14-2016, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't add Dion Waiters to a team with them, thats for sure.

valade16
01-14-2016, 02:09 PM
How would you build a team around Westbrook and Durant? Don't trade away Harden for one.

GiantsSwaGG
01-14-2016, 02:13 PM
You just need players that are good at standing and watching

Chronz
01-14-2016, 02:18 PM
They have a great squad as it is, they usually save their best lineup for last but when they play RWB-Waiters(Shockingly)-KD-Ibaka-Kanter, they are obliterating opposing lineups. I think the only mistake they've made in building around these 2 (aside from losing Harden of course) has been adding Waiters. Oh and they should have just taken the flier on Tyson Chandler all those years back (before he became DPOY).

Imagine this same team with Tyson instead of Adams....

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 02:38 PM
How would you build a team around Westbrook and Durant? Don't trade away Harden for one.

This is just unfair and you know it. Don't trade away Harden and then what? Westbrook/KD wouldn't be at the level they are at now and Harden? Forget about the guy being a 27/7/7 player. He would still be coming off the bench probably. Our issue has always been the frontcourt and the lack of bench activity. We rely on Dion Waiters as a third/fourth option at many points of a game and it's sickening to see him still be employed. Serge Ibaka is a serviceable player but he's becoming expandable. Can't rely on the guy to become a consistent offensive option and his defense hasn't been the same. We screwed up with fatty Perky by paying him lots of money to cause technical fouls and put a mean mug on his face. Now we have a coach who doesn't know where to begin with rotations and doesn't understand that sitting Westbrook/Durant out at the same time is not good basketball.

ewing
01-14-2016, 03:12 PM
This is just unfair and you know it. Don't trade away Harden and then what? Westbrook/KD wouldn't be at the level they are at now and Harden? Forget about the guy being a 27/7/7 player. He would still be coming off the bench probably. Our issue has always been the frontcourt and the lack of bench activity. We rely on Dion Waiters as a third/fourth option at many points of a game and it's sickening to see him still be employed. Serge Ibaka is a serviceable player but he's becoming expandable. Can't rely on the guy to become a consistent offensive option and his defense hasn't been the same. We screwed up with fatty Perky by paying him lots of money to cause technical fouls and put a mean mug on his face. Now we have a coach who doesn't know where to begin with rotations and doesn't understand that sitting Westbrook/Durant out at the same time is not good basketball.

IDK. i think Segre turns into an all star just like Reggie Jackson has the second he leaves. I also think he is the type of guy that can play with these two and make a difference. He doesn't hold the ball, is a good jump shooter, can run the floor, play D. Anyone's scoring will be limited a little on this team but idk what type of player you look for if Serge doesn't fit the bill.

What front court players do you think would fit well on OKC?

ghettosean
01-14-2016, 03:33 PM

I'm what type of players would you look to put around the two and what style should the team play

I'd start with James Harden :D

DanG
01-14-2016, 03:41 PM
OKC is my 2nd team and I just can't watch them because they should be insanely good, but instead they aren't even a top 3 team because the team is poorly built.

What I would do differently:

I wouldn't pair Westbrook in the backcourt with a player that can't shoot. Instead I would get a veteran SG who is a good shooter or an athletic guard who is a bigger offensive threat than Roberson.

I wouldn't have any other ball-demanding players on the team. (No Waiters)

I would definitely get a better bench than they have right now.

That being said, there's a trade that would do all the above:

Ibaka, Waiters, Roberson for T.Jones, McDaniels, Terry, Ariza.

Gander13SM
01-14-2016, 05:00 PM
No ball dominant guys. A bunch of two way guys. And something like Gentrys Corner offense, to make that work you would need a more skilled 4 than Ibaka but maybe he could work on his passing from the high post. And you need guys that can play defense but for OKC I would go with length, so you can afford to switch more if needed.

I would go with...

Russell Westbrook - Khris Middleton - Kevin Durant - Serge Ibaka - Steven Adams

Bench; Cameron Payne, Anthony Morrow, C.J Miles, Taj Gibson, Festus Ezeli.

Absolutely no hockey subs please. Hahaha. Money wise I don't think you could get much of a bench.

ewing
01-14-2016, 05:04 PM
No ball dominant guys. A bunch of two way guys. And something like Gentrys Corner offense, to make that work you would need a more skilled 4 than Ibaka but maybe he could work on his passing from the high post. And you need guys that can play defense but for OKC I would go with length, so you can afford to switch more if needed.

I would go with...

Absolutely no hockey subs please. Hahaha. Money wise I don't think you could get much of a bench.

A guy like middleton would be a great fit i think. The idea of incorporating a play maker out of the post is also interesting.

Gander13SM
01-14-2016, 06:52 PM
A guy like middleton would be a great fit i think. The idea of incorporating a play maker out of the post is also interesting.

I thought about Diaw instead of Ibaka purely for the playmaking ability but you're giving up too much talent and I'm not sure what sort of minutes he could handle long term.

KnicksorBust
01-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Westbrook for Conley - Lee - 1st

That is how you build around Durant.

Durant for ... nobody

You don't ****ing trade Durant. What are you stupid?

ewing
01-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Westbrook for Conley - Lee - 1st

That is how you build around Durant.

Durant for ... nobody

You don't ****ing trade Durant. What are you stupid?

I don't think anyone said you should trade Durrant. i do think ideally you'd have an elite but different type of PG with Durrant but i was asking if you started a team with those two guys how you would build the team.

YAALREADYKNO
01-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Bunch of 3 and D guys, another guy who can score on his own coming off the bench and a solid low post player who will occasionally draw double teams

Quinnsanity
01-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Ibaka is the perfect big for those two, someone who spaces the floor and doesn't ever really need to dribble, and such a good defender. It's those other two spots that are trickier. I've always been in the "Durant should play 4" camp. A lot of it is mindset for him. He's turned himself into a very good defender, but not a very aggressive one. The blueprint for playing stretchier 4's tends to revolve around aggressive switching and/or doubling (LeBron for doubling, Draymond for switching), and that's not really how Durant likes to play. But if I were building and/or coaching with him, that's what I'd like him to do. And then I'd just get the two best three and D guys I could find. Like DeMarre Carroll would be perfect, Danny Green, guys of that ilk, or if you're shopping in a lower market bin, Courtney Lee, maybe PJ Tucker. Ultimately I want a hyperactive defense that plays to Westbrook's strength and a defense that surrounds Westbrook with shooters, lets him do his thing and makes Durant the ultimate secondary option. That's not a talent thing, Westbrook just needs the ball more, and frankly he's a really underrated passer on drives. He can kick it out and even flip it when he's already midair. I want him controlling the offense if I have good enough spacing around him.

Gander13SM
01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Ibaka is the perfect big for those two, someone who spaces the floor and doesn't ever really need to dribble, and such a good defender. It's those other two spots that are trickier. I've always been in the "Durant should play 4" camp. A lot of it is mindset for him. He's turned himself into a very good defender, but not a very aggressive one. The blueprint for playing stretchier 4's tends to revolve around aggressive switching and/or doubling (LeBron for doubling, Draymond for switching), and that's not really how Durant likes to play. But if I were building and/or coaching with him, that's what I'd like him to do. And then I'd just get the two best three and D guys I could find. Like DeMarre Carroll would be perfect, Danny Green, guys of that ilk, or if you're shopping in a lower market bin, Courtney Lee, maybe PJ Tucker. Ultimately I want a hyperactive defense that plays to Westbrook's strength and a defense that surrounds Westbrook with shooters, lets him do his thing and makes Durant the ultimate secondary option. That's not a talent thing, Westbrook just needs the ball more, and frankly he's a really underrated passer on drives. He can kick it out and even flip it when he's already midair. I want him controlling the offense if I have good enough spacing around him.

I agree with KD playing 4 especially now with a lot of contenders going "small".

And Danny Green is a great shout. Forgot about him.

LOb0
01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
First they need a legit guy that can play D and shoot 3s. They have no one on the entire roster I'd trust in a playoff game outside of Durant and Westbrook. I hate their bench. Any first rounders I have are getting traded to fill that out. I think they actually gave a first rounder up to get Waiters, which is absurd.

This team is nothing but a waste of WB and KDs primes due to having such cheap owners.

Yanks All Day
01-14-2016, 10:29 PM
JJ Redick at the 2. Guy who plays off-ball and is one of the best shooters in the league. RW and KD draw the double team, kick it around, Redick hits the 3. Perfect fit for OKC. Doesn't need the ball and can efficiently score 16-17 ppg while spacing the floor for the stars to drive to the rim.

ewing
01-14-2016, 10:36 PM

i like it. I do think a bigger option at that 5 would be good if you move Durrant to the 4.

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2016, 10:40 PM
It does seem like over kill, but at the same time, they've played very well.

With the right coach, this core could be a dynasty.

It's not like other players 'excelled' under Pippen and Jordan. I mean this in terms of personal averages. I think Kukoc was really the only guy that put up his best personal stats with them. But guys like Kerr and Harper saw their percentages go up, and guys like Rodman were allowed to focus on what they did best (rebound and defend).

If you put a defensive minded rebounder in the paint with them (like a Dikembe or a Ben Wallace or Rodman), then can go to town and not have to worry about showing up on offence. Likewise, a defender with range like Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen would thrive with these guys I think.

It's more an issue of getting the right pieces and the right system/coach. But obviously they can make it work. They've been to the finals. They just got hit with injuries afterwards.

If I were only to build around one, though, it would easily be KD.

IKnowHoops
01-15-2016, 01:55 AM

I would go with...

PG Westy
SG JR Smith
SF Durant
PF Draymond
C Kanter

PG Delly
SG Gerald Green
SF IGGY
PF Dieng
C Mozgov

I think squad would win a chip right now. Or at least be as good as the top two or three teams currently.

TheNumber37
01-15-2016, 02:25 AM
I always thought they should have went for Steve Nash the 2 years before he was a Laker

They need a PG who can take the ball out of Westbrook's hand.

Don't get me wrong, if he gets the rebound and sees and opening, he should get out on the break.

In other situations, I'd like to see a PG who was a threat to shoot, drive and pass with Wesbrook and Durant on the Wing. Luckily Cameron Payne can be that
Then they'd need a frontcourt like Ibaka/Valencunias Or Ryan Anderson/Whiteside

KnicksorBust
01-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Westbrook for Wade and Bosh. Who says no?

LOb0
01-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Both

Quinnsanity
01-16-2016, 03:54 AM

I would give my first born son to see Westbrook, Winslow and Whiteside on one team. I have NO idea what would actually happen, but it would be glorious.

More-Than-Most
01-16-2016, 05:11 AM
you trade away durant for a **** ton.

Westy to Embiid in just 2 years time... Mark it down.

More-Than-Most
01-16-2016, 05:22 AM
I don't think anyone said you should trade Durrant. i do think ideally you'd have an elite but different type of PG with Durrant but i was asking if you started a team with those two guys how you would build the team.

I would :shrug:

He is probably leaving anyway so why not get whatever you can right now and resign westy long term while bolstering the depth of your team even more

More-Than-Most
01-16-2016, 05:23 AM

They would be worse with him... He is garbage... He would kill their defense and take shots away from Durant/Westy.

mrblisterdundee
01-16-2016, 07:35 PM
The Thunder don't need to trade Durant, Westbrook or Ibaka. They need their moronic front office to not shoot the team in the foot by signing a softie like Kanter to $16.4 million a season for the next four years. It's like Portland's front office played a Jedi mind trick, getting the Thunder to believe they couldn't lose Kanter, who could easily be replaced by the likes of Carl Landry. Unless they can find some way to trade him or Waiters for any real value, I believe the Durant-Westbrook era is nearing its conclusion.

lol, please
01-16-2016, 08:17 PM
I would surround Durant with Curry, Klay, Green, Ezeli and the warriors bench, and trade Westbrook and Bogut for picks.

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2016, 11:19 PM
I would start by bringing in other talent like Harden and Sefolosha and then not letting them leave for next to nothing.

Then getting defensive front-court players like Ibaka and putting them alongside a stud like Kanter.

Really, all they need is a PF that can hit a 15-footer, rebound and defend (Ibaka), and a C that can post up a little rebound and defend (Kanter could be a little more dominant on D), and a couple of defensive 3-pt shooters like Tony Allen and maybe a back-up point guard like Calderon who can shoot the long ball and knows how to set up other players.

ewing
01-17-2016, 01:37 AM
I would start by bringing in other talent like Harden and Sefolosha and then not letting them leave for next to nothing.

Then getting defensive front-court players like Ibaka and putting them alongside a stud like Kanter.

Really, all they need is a PF that can hit a 15-footer, rebound and defend (Ibaka), and a C that can post up a little rebound and defend (Kanter could be a little more dominant on D), and a couple of defensive 3-pt shooters like Tony Allen and maybe a back-up point guard like Calderon who can shoot the long ball and knows how to set up other players.

I think the team as constructed can win an NBA title but i also think they have 2 best players in the league plus talent and aren't a favorite. IDK, i think OKC has a ton of talent.

Nikeman
01-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Answer is simple... surround them with shooters who play D and rebound.

lol, please
01-17-2016, 10:14 PM
:laugh2: