PDA

View Full Version : Tazawa, Kelly, and Ross File for Arbitration

RedSoxtober
01-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Right-handed pitchers Joe Kelly and Junichi Tazawa and lefty Robbie Ross Jr. filed the paperwork required to go through the arbitration process. They are eligible for arbitration by virtue of having accrued no more than six, but no less than three years of major-league service time.

Players and teams will exchange salary figures on Friday. Negotiations can continue until a hearing date, which will be set for next month.

Based on projections made by MLB Trade Rumors, Tazawa could see his salary rise to $3.3 million in his final round of arbitration after making $2.25 million last year. Kelly and Ross are eligible for the first time, with MLBTR pegging Kelly's salary at $3.1 million (up from $603,000 last year) and Ross' at $1.1 million (up from $566,000 last year).Boston Herald

RedSoxtober
01-14-2016, 10:24 AM
San Francisco Giants 32-year-old reliever Sergio Romo is among the pitchers with the most similar numbers as Tazawa since 2012, and Romo signed a two-year extension worth at least $15 million prior to the 2015 season. Luke Gregerson, 31, who has a strikeout-to-walk rate (4.2-to-1) close to Tazawa's (4.7-to-1) since 2013, cashed in on a three-year, $18.5-million deal with the Houston Astros, also signing before the 2015 season.Boston Herald

Taz could be an ideal trade candidate at the trade deadline this year EVEN IF the Sox are in contention. His numbers should be good when it's time to go shopping, the value of RPs is probably at an all time high, and they're unlikely to bring him back. Get Barnes/Light ready for MR by then and we probably don't skip a beat.

Station 13
01-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Selling Taz and pending free agency of Ue, leaves this bullpen with a bunch of inexperienced arms next year. If that what it takes to get Taz sign, then do it. You know what you'll get out of Taz, 60IP 3ERA or lower. Barnes/Light didn't exactly do well in AAA. Barnes struggles in Fenway.

Beside Taz, they have fail to develop relievers. Bard had 2.5 good years, then it was over.

RedSoxtober
01-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Meh, Taz and Uehara are FAs at the end of the season either way. I consider it unlikely that they re-sign Taz for $6M/yr.

Regardless, you hit on exactly why I hope to see Barnes/Light/other getting MR innings this year. I believe that Barnes suffered a bit from the yo-yo job bouncing between SP and RP (which they swore they would not do). I think that most of his false steps were mental. I am not yet as fully on the Light brigade as are many but I get why people like him. Getting them both MLB reps this year should help ease the transition from the Japanese tandem.

Station 13
01-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo
Per source Joe Kelly and Red Sox have come to terms on a one-year, $2.6 million agreement, avoiding arb

RedSoxtober
01-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Here's projections from M L B T R. Looks like they got a decent deal on Kelly.

Joe Kelly (3.101) $3.2MM
Robbie Ross (3.100) $1.1MM
Junichi Tazawa (5.086) $3.3MM

bagwell368
01-19-2016, 06:51 AM
I think Tazawa has been brutally overused the past few years, I'm not even sure he's going to be a viable trade target at the deadline, if he is - sell.

No way I want to sign any multi year deal with him.

If we're out at the deadling, then dealing the old man makes sense too.

RedSoxtober
01-21-2016, 10:01 AM
The Red Sox and reliever Junichi Tazawa will not be going to arbitration after they reached an agreement Wednesday evening on a non-guaranteed contract for the 2016 season.

The Red Sox have just one unsigned player remaining, left-hander Robbie Ross. Earlier, they reached an agreement with pitcher Joe Kelly.

Tazawa, 29, made 61 appearances last season, posting a 4.14 ERA and leading all relievers on the ballclub with 56 strikeouts and 16 holds.

He has appeared in at least 60 games for three consecutive seasons.

Last year Tazawa made $2.25 million. MLB Network reported that he will make $3.375 million this coming season.Boston Herald

I'm at least a little surprised that it's a non-guaranteed deal. I wonder if that hints at some questions over his arm and the heavy use over the last three years -- maybe something revealed in his post-season (or post-injury) physical.

Station 13
01-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Arbitration are almost always non-guaranteed. Teams can drop them in spring and pay only $500K.

RedSoxtober
01-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Red Sox and LHP Robbie Ross avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $1.25 million contract.

MLB Network's Jon Heyman says the reliever can earn more through incentives. Ross, who was arbitration-eligible for the first time, requested $1.325 million when figures were exchanged earlier this month.roto