PDA

View Full Version : Which players shooting form do you emulate?

Chronz
01-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Set shots, off the dribble, escape dribble shots from different spots on the floor etc.... Who do you watch and try to mimic?

I really dont have a consistent form, which is prolly why I have an inconsistent jumper but Im trying to stick to one fundamental aspect, which is having my elbow line up with the rim when I shoot (ala Kobe) but my follow through and leg form is nothing like his.

When Im shooting 3's I have the Tmac windup (where you hesitate before taking the shot) that all my friends know about now so it doesn't really work anymore but it actually gives me the momentum I need to go outside my range (normal range is inside the line). Heres an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjgTepYWts

Thats the greatest pull up shot ever so I dont do all that, just that last bit before he goes up.

So do you guys emulate anyone?

KnicksorBust
01-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Nick Van Exel

ewing
01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Never really tried to emulate form. Dribble moves, defensive, cuts, really everything but form.

Captain Moroni
01-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Charles Oakley. I'm big so I like to play down low, rebound, set screens and pop out for the 12 foot jumper.

ewing
01-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Charles Oakley. I'm big so I like to play down low, rebound, set screens and pop out for the 12 foot jumper.

do you dribble the ball as hard as you can 12 times before every free throw?

lamzoka
01-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Shawn Marion

IBleedPurple
01-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Joakim Noah, and not completely joking

Hangin n Wangin
01-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Set shots, off the dribble, escape dribble shots from different spots on the floor etc.... Who do you watch and try to mimic?

I really dont have a consistent form, which is prolly why I have an inconsistent jumper but Im trying to stick to one fundamental aspect, which is having my elbow line up with the rim when I shoot (ala Kobe) but my follow through and leg form is nothing like his.

When Im shooting 3's I have the Tmac windup (where you hesitate before taking the shot) that all my friends know about now so it doesn't really work anymore but it actually gives me the momentum I need to go outside my range (normal range is inside the line). Heres an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjgTepYWts

Thats the greatest pull up shot ever so I dont do all that, just that last bit before he goes up.

So do you guys emulate anyone?

Kobe did that hesitation before his shot very regularly through out his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvo_ca9cTjk

Hawkeye15
01-13-2016, 02:17 PM
I tried to emulate Glen Rice as a kid, it just stuck

Hawkeye15
01-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Shawn Marion

hot potato!

Vincent
01-13-2016, 02:27 PM
When I was younger I would shoot very similar to Marcus Camby... which would be fine if I wasn't 5'8 (5'9 with shoes!)

Now I shoot with more of a traditional stroke (but still clutch it a bit towards my head) like a DWill or a Vince Carter.

Tony_Starks
01-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Always tried to mimic Sheeds high release and follow through. It's unstoppable in the post/ mid-range if it's falling.

RLundi
01-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Kobe's to be honest. It just feels so right. Mixed results though. When I'm on, I'm ON. Problem is my confidence lacks a lot and I rarely play anymore.

IndyRealist
01-13-2016, 03:10 PM
No one in paricular, but my primary court growing up was a tiny driveway against guys 2yrs older than me, so i developed a really quick release on spot ups shooting from my chest from nearly exactly the same position as a chest pass using nothing but arms and shoulders. When i actually had games on courts it felt like forever for guys to recover to me. No one told me i was shooting wrong until i was 17ish.

WaDe03
01-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Never really tried to emulate form. Dribble moves, defensive, cuts, really everything but form.

Same here. Plus I'm a lefty all of our shots look the same for the most part lol.

ewing
01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Same here. Plus I'm a lefty all of our shots look the same for the most part lol.

i think its b/c it was the first thing i learned. I remember when i first stating playing I practiced my release in bed every night until i fell asleep.

Chronz
01-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Always tried to mimic Sheeds high release and follow through. It's unstoppable in the post/ mid-range if it's falling.

Hate those high release points.. My buddy has mastered this set shot that looks EXACTLY like a pump fake but he keeps it going into a high arching jumper. Like a cross between Manu and pierce

Gander13SM
01-13-2016, 05:33 PM
I have a form very similar to Klay Thompson... If he had three fingers and an arm broken in two places.

ewing
01-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Lamar from revenge of the nerds

Redrum187
01-13-2016, 06:01 PM
When I was in junior high I tried to shoot like Tim Duncan. He has a very flat and direct shot, going for the bank in from midrange. I'm not 7'0 tall, so I would get rejected often. lol

Then Dirk came into the league and I fell in love with the guy's shot. By the time I was a junior in high school I developed a fairly high arch. If only I could make it look like pure sex the way Dirk does. :(

Hawkeye15
01-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Hate those high release points.. My buddy has mastered this set shot that looks EXACTLY like a pump fake but he keeps it going into a high arching jumper. Like a cross between Manu and pierce

Those are hard to master, so you rarely see them. It's basically like a big hesitation before you shoot, when you are supposed to have a constant flow from the moment you start your shooting motion, until the moment it's released.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Lamar from revenge of the nerds

"everybody clap your hands"

Gander13SM
01-13-2016, 06:44 PM

I used to play pick up with a guy who had the best pump fake I've ever seen in real life. Everyone would bite on it even our best defensive guys.

One night we were at a bar and I asked him how he got so good at his pump fake and he said; "Easy. I'm not faking. I'm intending on taking the shot. Then I just change my mind at the last second" lol

He also has one of those high arching set shots. It pisses me off.

ewing
01-13-2016, 07:16 PM
where do you guys aim? I feel like i am one of the few people that aim back rim- well right before back rim but that is my focus point and i actually have a J that more often then not hits the back of the rim and drops straight down instead of a swish

Hawkeye15
01-13-2016, 08:44 PM
where do you guys aim? I feel like i am one of the few people that aim back rim- well right before back rim but that is my focus point and i actually have a J that more often then not hits the back of the rim and drops straight down instead of a swish

I aim for the bottom of the net. I guess when I was playing/practicing religiously, my shooting was easily my best attribute. I spent so long practicing, I knew what to put on it depending on where I was. If I had to guess, I am watching the front of the rim when I release it.

Who here watches the ball after release? I always found that hard to do. Dirk/Bird always did it.

ewing
01-13-2016, 09:18 PM
I aim for the bottom of the net. I guess when I was playing/practicing religiously, my shooting was easily my best attribute. I spent so long practicing, I knew what to put on it depending on where I was. If I had to guess, I am watching the front of the rim when I release it.

Who here watches the ball after release? I always found that hard to do. Dirk/Bird always did it.

never. i find that back rim and shoot at it

IndyRealist
01-13-2016, 10:05 PM
To be perfectly honest, I aim for the square. I saw a mathematician once on TV say it is statistically more likely to go in if you aim for the square instead of the hoop (in retrospect I think he was specifically talking about free throws). It always stuck with me.

skoobiesnax69
01-13-2016, 10:11 PM
When I started playing as a kid, starks . When I gained leg strength, Latrelll Sprreeeeeeewellll

superwill
01-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Curry but I always shot with perfect from I can shoot from anywhere on the court used a 15lb med ball for form shooting I also have 6lb heavy basketbal. I've tried the OK hand shooting form don't like it I know Kobe, Jordan and others use it I also don't square my feet that's a big myth (see Curry's feet) he also shoots all four fingers down I do all so

superwill
01-13-2016, 10:54 PM

I aim at the basket as a whole look at everything net, rim, square main thing is to practice like crazy it will come

cmellofan15
01-13-2016, 11:05 PM
I've always had a slow grounded game with the ball in my hands and I like to use off balance moves and fall aways like Dirk. Not sure why I've always played so slow, prolly cuz I like to be lazy on offense but I've always been relatively athletic so idk why I settled for that kinda game lol. In basketball and football I've always been defensive first kinda guy tho.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
To be perfectly honest, I aim for the square. I saw a mathematician once on TV say it is statistically more likely to go in if you aim for the square instead of the hoop (in retrospect I think he was specifically talking about free throws). It always stuck with me.

everyone overstates here. But I was as good of a shooter as anyone I saw live, outside a few NBA players. Problem is, I am absolutely unaware of my surroundings, don't guard anyone, and I am 5'11".

I have never heard that. It sounds like a bad idea

superwill
01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Steph Curry also uses those heavy Basketballs YouTube his workouts. Has anyone used those handle life weighted gloves they have no grip so it's hard to control the basketball when doing dribbling drills I see some pros use them

Chronz
01-13-2016, 11:32 PM
I've always had a slow grounded game with the ball in my hands and I like to use off balance moves and fall aways like Dirk. Not sure why I've always played so slow, prolly cuz I like to be lazy on offense but I've always been relatively athletic so idk why I settled for that kinda game lol. In basketball and football I've always been defensive first kinda guy tho.
Maybe you're the norms version of Shawn Kemp.
Do you drink or bed women before the game?

meloman1592
01-13-2016, 11:49 PM
Melo and JR

joeym
01-14-2016, 12:36 AM
I wasn't a Celtic fan but I used to try to shoot like Larry Bird...he wasn't easy to emulate....

LOb0
01-14-2016, 12:45 AM
Bill Cartwright.

Htownballa1622
01-14-2016, 09:52 AM
I have a Kevin Martin type shot. I don't mean to, it just happens.

Difference is I don't bring the ball from my left hip. I just have a slight hitch in my shot but my elbow is in and it's more of a way to get arch on my shot. I'm a streaky shooter. I'd say a fairly good shooter normally.

There are just times where anything I throw up goes in.

I've always thought of my game as like a Tony Parker or someone looking to drive first though.

I've held my own against guys like Jonathan simmons of the spurs. I've actually played against him from high school through college.

valade16
01-14-2016, 10:20 AM

I was contemplating this so long last night and I honestly don't even know where I aim. I look at the hoop and I guess aim dead center of the basket but at this point it's so much reflex and muscle memory I don't even consciously think about.

everyone overstates here. But I was as good of a shooter as anyone I saw live, outside a few NBA players. Problem is, I am absolutely unaware of my surroundings, don't guard anyone, and I am 5'11".

I have never heard that. It sounds like a bad idea

I feel the same way. Everywhere I go I feel I am the best 3 point shooter. I think you have to be confident in something that you're bringing to the court otherwise why are you there? I'm 6'1" of white guy and I'm routinely going up against 6'4" guys that can dunk with ease. If I didn't have confidence I was the **** at 3's there'd really be no reason for me to be out there.

jon32
01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Mix between Shaq & Charles Barkley. Barkleys golf shot and Shaqs free throw results. I suck big time