PDA

View Full Version : How much better would Shaq have been if he had been able to hit FTs?

valade16
01-12-2016, 07:17 PM
How much better would he have been if all of his FT%'s by season were 20% better (i.e. 52% was 72%)?

Do you think he would get consideration as the best player of all-time?

How do you think that would have impacted the league in regards to:

How many championships he got
How many MVPs he got
In-game strategy (no more Hack-a-Shaq. Shaq wouldn't need to come out at the end of games)
What would it do to his stats (TS%, PPG, etc.)

In short, would he have an argument as the best player ever?

Raidaz4Life
01-12-2016, 07:23 PM
I think no doubt he'd be the GOAT hands down.

tredigs
01-12-2016, 07:26 PM
No, the reason Shaq was not GOAT was not just because he was a poor foul shooter. He didn't have the drive to be GOAT, period. He wasn't sat at the end of games very often from what I remember. At 20% better foul shooting, he averages a little less than 2 more PPG for his career (9.3 FTA average).

dhopisthename
01-12-2016, 08:22 PM
if he could make 75% of his ft's he would have averaged about 25.8 points per game vs his 23.5 for his career. However as tredigs puts it, he wasn't the goat because he coasted and knew that he was so much better then everyone else that he never really cared. plus his peak was really short. it was a great peak, but when discussing goat it should have been better.

KnicksorBust
01-12-2016, 11:20 PM
What if Nick Anderson had been able to hit FTs?

FlashBolt
01-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Do we really need an answer for this? Players all have flaws and pros. Let's just keep it at that. If everyone shot like Steph Curry, there would be no Steph Curry.

ewing
01-13-2016, 12:43 AM
No, the reason Shaq was not GOAT was not just because he was a poor foul shooter. He didn't have the drive to be GOAT, period. He wasn't sat at the end of games very often from what I remember. At 20% better foul shooting, he averages a little less than 2 more PPG for his career (9.3 FTA average).

he might hit more shot from the field with soft enough touch to shoot 20% higher from the line, no?

ewing
01-13-2016, 12:44 AM
if he could make 75% of his ft's he would have averaged about 25.8 points per game vs his 23.5 for his career. However as tredigs puts it, he wasn't the goat because he coasted and knew that he was so much better then everyone else that he never really cared. plus his peak was really short. it was a great peak, but when discussing goat it should have been better.

no if he could hit 75% from the line he would been ****ing unstoppable

LOb0
01-13-2016, 01:06 AM
If he was able to hit 72% on top of his already peak seasons he would have had the greatest seasons of all time. He would have been the goat in terms of what player would you take first for 1-5 seasons.

tredigs
01-13-2016, 01:16 AM
^Lol because of a 1-2 PPG difference? Why?

And in reality it would be less than that as they wouldn't be Hack-A-Shaq'n him. He might actually score less.

LOb0
01-13-2016, 01:27 AM
^Lol because of a 1-2 PPG difference? Why?

And in reality it would be less than that as they wouldn't be Hack-A-Shaq'n him. He might actually score less.

You're adding it to his career stats, add it to his best seasons and best playoff runs. I'm pretty sure his PER would go though the roof.

He would score more, teams wouldn't bother fouling him on D meaning more dunks and shots in the paint.

FlashBolt
01-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Teams also fouled Shaq on purpose because he was bad at FT's = less FTA for him but could also mean more dunks for him, etc. Hard to say how things would play out on a statistical standpoint but clearly he would have been even more unstoppable. Which is why the thought of this question is pretty much a given.

More-Than-Most
01-13-2016, 04:12 AM
What if Jordan was 5 inches taller?

Phantom Dreamer
01-13-2016, 04:22 AM
What if Jordan was 5 inches taller?He'd be a black, right handed Toni Kukoc

Gander13SM
01-13-2016, 05:21 AM
What if Stephen Curry was 6'8 with the muscle mass of LeBron?

valade16
01-13-2016, 09:52 AM

Isn't that almost scarier in its own way? The guy didn't have the drive to be great and is universally considered a top 10 player ever and one of the top 5 most dominant.

What if Nick Anderson had been able to hit FTs?

This is one of the biggest overblown what ifs I think. The Rockets swept them, it's not like this was game 7 or it was a close series. They may have been given a confidence boost but ultimately Houston was better (as they proved in the next 3 games).

Do we really need an answer for this? Players all have flaws and pros. Let's just keep it at that. If everyone shot like Steph Curry, there would be no Steph Curry.

I'm not asking if Shaq were able to do some extraordinary feat like shoot like Steph Curry, I'm asking him to shoot a league average rate from the FT line. Not even remotely comparable.

Teams also fouled Shaq on purpose because he was bad at FT's = less FTA for him but could also mean more dunks for him, etc. Hard to say how things would play out on a statistical standpoint but clearly he would have been even more unstoppable. Which is why the thought of this question is pretty much a given.

Very good point.

What if Jordan was 5 inches taller?

What if Stephen Curry was 6'8 with the muscle mass of LeBron?

Do me a favor, go to a gym and practice your FTs and getting taller and tell me which one happens first...

valade16
01-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Here's a follow up question, Would your opinion have changed if it were Wilt Chamberlain instead of Shaq?

JasonJohnHorn
01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
It would essentially mean that the officials wouldn't have had to help LAL to those three titles they won with Shaq.

KnicksorBust
01-13-2016, 12:51 PM
This is one of the biggest overblown what ifs I think. The Rockets swept them, it's not like this was game 7 or it was a close series. They may have been given a confidence boost but ultimately Houston was better (as they proved in the next 3 games).

I'm a big believer in momentum and that would have been a huge confidence boost for a young Orlando team... but you are probably right. :)

Tony_Starks
01-13-2016, 02:14 PM
He actually came through with a lot of big free throws, despite his poor percentage. Or like he always said "I make them when it counts."

Even if he could make them it's not like they could just relentlessly foul him the entire game, it would've only added a few points to his average.

We had Kobe as the closer anyway so his FT's didn't really hurt us one bit in the grand scheme of things....

Bostonjorge
01-13-2016, 08:09 PM
What if it was impossible for Shaq to ever get out of shape?

Chronz
01-13-2016, 11:43 PM
What if it was impossible for Shaq to ever get out of shape?
What if players never got injured.. Just exactly which years do you presume he was out of shape and what makes you the expert on his conditioning given his body?

Chronz
01-13-2016, 11:46 PM
I'm a big believer in momentum and that would have been a huge confidence boost for a young Orlando team... but you are probably right. :)
Momentum is so cliche but i believe in the sense that you dont give up earlier if you have a win in the bag. i do think they take the series to6 with that unexpected win but man that was a team of Destiny

Kyben36
01-14-2016, 12:00 AM

its interesting to see his stats improve so dramtically (over 2 ppg) just on FTs. but your right, im not sure it improves him much, surely it would have, would have taken away hack a shaq and made a huge diference in some games. but im not sure it pushes him much higher up the list, this is definitly a less interesting argument than the 3pt argument, because that argument you could argue it made him better or worse.