PDA

View Full Version : Lakers to offer Demar the max

Stunner
01-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Lakers are expected to offer DeMar DeRozan a max contact this summer, starting at roughly $25 million a year. (h/t ESPN)

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/686954678400069632

aman_13
01-12-2016, 01:18 PM
If this is true, then it's going to be between the Raptors and Lakers. The Nets are also expected to offer him the max but I doubt DeMar signs there.

FlashBolt
01-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Not going to work. DeRozan isn't a huge name and wouldn't turn them into contenders. He'll be a good 20/5/5 guy but that's not enough for this Lakers team to recover. DeRozan is a 2nd option player if you ask me.

Tony_Starks
01-12-2016, 01:26 PM
If this happens Jimmy Buss is getting kidnapped.

Why in the world would we offer Demar the max? I got love for him as a guy from the city but he's no where near franchise.

Jordan Clarkson could very well end up being a Derozan, with better defense at that!

Gander13SM
01-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Jesus....

When's the lockout?

Bron > Kobe
01-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Doesn't make sense to offer him that when you have Clarkson on cost control.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 01:57 PM
If that is true, I love where the Lakers are headed long term.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Doesn't make sense to offer him that when you have Clarkson on cost control.

Yeah the Lakers are better off with Clarkson considering where they are as a franchise right now.

I just read that DeMar wants to finish his career in Toronto so he's likely staying.

bucketss
01-12-2016, 02:04 PM
25 mill a year for demar? :laugh2: although im laughing he will probably get around that much but still :laugh:

FraziersKnicks
01-12-2016, 02:14 PM
:hope:

still1ballin
01-12-2016, 02:15 PM
:facepalm:

jerellh528
01-12-2016, 02:18 PM
I expect tons more of these tumors all season and offseason long with how much cap we'll have. Lakers are going to be "linked" to every free agent.

cheetos185
01-12-2016, 02:21 PM
25m a year... Carmelo isn't overpaid anymore I guess.

WaDe03
01-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Not going to work. DeRozan isn't a huge name and wouldn't turn them into contenders. He'll be a good 20/5/5 guy but that's not enough for this Lakers team to recover. DeRozan is a 2nd option player if you ask me.

On a championship level team I would say he's a 3rd option player. Not much different than being the second option I just feel like a team would have to have at least 2 better players than him with a solid supporting cast to be a legit contender in the league today.

Scoots
01-12-2016, 02:25 PM
The Lakers supposedly have also decided that the new coach is going to be Luke Walton.

FlashBolt
01-12-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm not surprised with the price. This is going to be the norm and it's up to us to accept it. But for the Lakers, they have zero reason to take this. I don't see DeRozan being an elite player and if the Lakers are paying the max, they better get one.

jerellh528
01-12-2016, 02:41 PM
The Lakers supposedly have also decided that the new coach is going to be Luke Walton.

The media with their obsession for anything Lakers is apparently making all our offseason moves for us already. Including our new HC and Max contract offers

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Khris Middleton $14,700,000 $15,200,000 $14,100,000 $13,000,000 $13,000,000

Middleton looks like a steal now.

Lisound15
01-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Joe Johnson 2.0

HandsOnTheWheel
01-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Championship.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Joe Johnson 2.0

No that's not a fair comparison. DeMar may not be worth the max but he's a really good player. One of the top shooting guards in the game and is having a very good season.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-12-2016, 03:05 PM
No that's not a fair comparison. DeMar may not be worth the max but he's a really good player. One of the top shooting guards in the game and is having a very good season.

Derozan only good at getting to free throw line. Horrible shooter for a SG. So $25M per waste of money. Feel sorry for Lakers or Raptors or whom ever signs him at that price. Yeesh.

R. Johnson#3
01-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Last season was the first year DeMar didn't improve his game and was at a stand still. This year he's worked on what he was already good at and that's getting to the rim. Dude is money with the left hand now too. He also has an offensive style you don't see that much with all the pivots and up fakes. It's ugly as hell at times but it's working very well for him.

R. Johnson#3
01-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Derozan only good at getting to free throw line. Horrible shooter for a SG. So $25M per waste of money. Feel sorry for Lakers or Raptors or whom ever signs him at that price. Yeesh.

He nails turnaround jumpers and mid range jumpers pretty well. He doesn't have a 3pt shot and that's about it. Considering he's 2nd in the NBA in free throw attempts when defenders can back off him when he's behind the 3pt line is a testament to just how good he is at getting to the basket.

Tony_Starks
01-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Joe Johnson 2.0

That's actually a insult to Joe Johnson. He hasn't aged well but in his day Joe was a reliable scorer from mid range/post/3 point and absolute money in the clutch, especially in the playoffs. His Atlanta teams were always respectable, just not ECF respectable. I recall him giving Lebron the business in the playoffs with Brooklyn as well.

If we're talking strictly scoring Demar isn't as versatile as JJ. He probably had the best post game at the SG spot besides Kobe...

NYCkid12
01-12-2016, 03:26 PM

Couldn't the same of been said about Joe Johnson at the time he signed?

shep33
01-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Don't get this unless he's playing SF. Clarkson is so damn cheap compared to him.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 03:37 PM

He's not worth 25 million but if you look at his numbers this yr, his approach has changed. He's not taking long 2s and is focusing on getting to the rim. He's increased his percentage of fg attempts from 3-10 feet out and decreased his percentage from inside the 3 point line. A shot widely regarded as the worst shot in basketball. This has resulted in higher effeciency which proves that shot selection is what has held him back over the yrs not his actual shooting skills.

The question is will he continue this approach? I'm starting to belive he will.

PurpleLynch
01-12-2016, 03:39 PM

You bastard! lol

Jim Buss must be eliminated from the organization. A total idiotic move.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Couldn't the same of been said about Joe Johnson at the time he signed?

Johnson signed his deal at 29. DeMar will be 27 going into next yr.

The Raptors or whoever will get his best yrs and at 32 i doubt he becomes what Johnson is today.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 03:46 PM
With that said, he's not worth the max. There is no doubt about that but there is a good chance he's getting it. The Lakers and Nets are not helping the Raptors, that's for sure.

NYCkid12
01-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Johnson signed his deal at 29. DeMar will be 27 going into next yr.

The Raptors or whoever will get his best yrs and at 33 i doubt he becomes what Johnson is today.

I see where you're coming from.

I was looking at it from the perspective of not being worth a max deal (which I don't think either of them are/were) but still being very good players.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 03:53 PM
I see where you're coming from.

I was looking at it from the perspective of not being worth a max deal (which I don't think either of them are/were) but still being very good players.

Yeah he's definetely not a max player but with huge rise in the cap, players are going to get crazy contracts.

DanG
01-12-2016, 03:55 PM
I hope it's not true. If we get him you just know we're going to be mediocre for as long as we have him. It all depends though, this years draft looks to be pretty good, so if we do keep our pick I see us going after Simmons, Ingram or Jaylen Brown. I don't see us going after another wing if we get one of them unless it's Kevin Durant, but he is not coming.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 04:04 PM
From SportsNet (Via PBT):

“That's one you thing you can never question: my loyalty to the city,” DeRozan told host Joey Vendetta on the Jeff Blair Show. “How much I really love and appreciate the team and the organization. I think all the fans understand that. A lot of times they don't understand how contracts or things like that. But I've always stressed that this is where I want to be my whole career.”

“A new contract is what DeMar is going for and we feel we have a good shot,” Raptors GM Masai Ujiri said Thursday evening on Prime Time Sports. “This is his team, this is a team that he knows very well, loves the city, is well-loved here, and we can offer him a year extra. There are so many things, so we feel comfortable.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25444752/demar-derozan-says-he-wants-to-play-for-raptors-his-entire-career

I read this earlier.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 04:05 PM
So for those Laker fans who are hoping this is not true, it looks like you don't have to worry.

lakerfan85
01-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Where do these reporters get all their information from? It's not like Mitch or Jimmy wonder kid can just come and tell some reporter.. Hey! We're going to give Demar a max contract offer this offseason..

Vampirate
01-12-2016, 04:32 PM
There is just no way the Raptors can hang with the Lakers here and outbid them, after all, the Lakers are Demar's home town!

I wish Demar the best in his new team!

The Lakers are again using their advantages to rob the poor Raptors.

Such is life in the NBA.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 04:34 PM
There is just no way the Raptors can hang with the Lakers here and outbid them, after all, the Lakers are Demar's home town!

Such is life in the NBA.

i don't know about that. Based on DeMar's interview with Jeff Blair, the Raptors have the edge.

Vampirate
01-12-2016, 04:42 PM
At 25 million per it would be rude of the Raptors to block Demar from playing on his home town.

The Lakers obviously want him that much and there's nothing the Raptors can do.

lamzoka
01-12-2016, 04:46 PM
i don't know about that. Based on DeMar's interview with Jeff Blair, the Raptors have the edge.

Really? How many times you heard a player said "This is where i wanna spend the rest of my career" then bolt few months later. What do you expect him to say? They're just being politically correct.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 04:47 PM
That's actually a insult to Joe Johnson. He hasn't aged well but in his day Joe was a reliable scorer from mid range/post/3 point and absolute money in the clutch, especially in the playoffs. His Atlanta teams were always respectable, just not ECF respectable. I recall him giving Lebron the business in the playoffs with Brooklyn as well.

If we're talking strictly scoring Demar isn't as versatile as JJ. He probably had the best post game at the SG spot besides Kobe...

gross. Johnson SUCKED in the playoffs, go check the numbers dude. Once he peeled away from the Suns, he was not good. Or, not as good as people gave him credit for, and come playoff time, he basically threw in the towel.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 04:48 PM
So for those Laker fans who are hoping this is not true, it looks like you don't have to worry.

Players go where the money is dude. If the Lakers are willing to pay him more, he will leave.

lamzoka
01-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Where do these reporters get all their information from? It's not like Mitch or Jimmy wonder kid can just come and tell some reporter.. Hey! We're going to give Demar a max contract offer this offseason..

Its possible. Leak it and see what kind of feed back we get from the fans, other teams and From DeRozan himself.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Really? How many times you heard a player said "This is where i wanna spend the rest of my career" then bolt few months later. What do you expect him to say? They're just being politically correct.

lol how is that being politically correct?

He could of said so many different things to avoid the question, yet he chose to say he's always been loyal and that he wants to finish his career here.

LanceUpperCut
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Such is life in the NBA.

What are you talking about. For one DD has been saying he wants to stay in TO for a while and secondly the Raps can give him an extra year. I think it all depends on if the Raps want him at Max.

People can think hes not a Max guy but theirs also rumors of Batum and guys like Anderson wanting a Max. DD is really underrated here I must say all this he can't do anything but get to the line crap is hilarious considering the guys numbers and his team is actually winning. He's not a number 1 since theirs maybe a handful or so of them but he's a very good number 2 option right now

IndyRealist
01-12-2016, 04:55 PM
I expect tons more of these tumors all season and offseason long with how much cap we'll have. Lakers are going to be "linked" to every free agent.

What an incredibly telling typo.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Players go where the money is dude. If the Lakers are willing to pay him more, he will leave.

Will the Raptors can pay him 25 million and offer an extra yr so no team is going to outbid the Raps. Masai is known to overpay players so it wouldn't surprise me if he signs him to a ridiculous contract.

Vampirate
01-12-2016, 04:57 PM
What are you talking about. For one DD has been saying he wants to stay in TO for a while and secondly the Raps can give him an extra year. I think it all depends on if the Raps want him at Max.

People can think hes not a Max guy but theirs also rumors of Batum and guys like Anderson wanting a Max. DD is really underrated here I must say all this he can't do anything but get to the line crap is hilarious considering the guys numbers and his team is actually winning. He's not a number 1 since theirs maybe a handful or so of them but he's a very good number 2 option right now

Hint: I'm a Raptors fan who would like Demar back, but not at 25 million per. At that price the Lakers can have him. You couldn't tell I wasn't being serious?

lamzoka
01-12-2016, 04:57 PM
lol how is that being politically correct?

He could of said so many different things to avoid the question, yet he chose to say he's always been loyal and that he wants to finish his career here.

Im not talking about Derozan in particular, I'm just speaking about athletes in general.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Im not talking about Derozan in particular, I'm just speaking about athletes in general.

Well i was talking about DeRozan.

lamzoka
01-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Well i was talking about DeRozan.

Bro just because DeRozan said "he's loyal to the team" doesn't mean he's definitely going to resign. If I was betting man, I'd put my money on the Lakers. Max contract, Better city, better history, his hometown... And we're talking about hollywood here man.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Bro just because DeRozan said "he's loyal to the team" doesn't mean he's definitely going to resign. If I was betting man, I'd put my money on the Lakers. Max contract, Better city, better history, his hometown... And we're talking about hollywood here man.

“That's one you thing you can never question: my loyalty to the city,” DeRozan told host Joey Vendetta on the Jeff Blair Show. “How much I really love and appreciate the team and the organization. I think all the fans understand that. A lot of times they don't understand how contracts or things like that. But I've always stressed that this is where I want to be my whole career.”

I didn't say he was definitely going to re-sign, just said the Raptors have the edge.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Will the Raptors can pay him 25 million and offer an extra yr so no team is going to outbid the Raps. Masai is known to overpay players so it wouldn't surprise me if he signs him to a ridiculous contract.

he is worth nowhere near that money. I would gladly let him go

Tony_Starks
01-12-2016, 05:16 PM

gross. Johnson SUCKED in the playoffs, go check the numbers dude. Once he peeled away from the Suns, he was not good. Or, not as good as people gave him credit for, and come playoff time, he basically threw in the towel.

Numbers lie. He was money against Boston in the that series that went 7, against Orlando when they upset them, and against Miami when Brooklyn pushed them...I'm talking about crunch time, regardless of what the percentages say he was hitting big buckets when they mattered.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 05:18 PM

Btw the Raptors can offer him more and don't you think the "hollywood" argument is kind of dated? The Lakers have missed out on many marquee FAs over the past few yrs.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 05:19 PM
he is worth nowhere near that money. I would gladly let him go

I'm with you, 25 million is way too much.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Numbers lie. He was money against Boston in the that series that went 7, against Orlando when they upset them, and against Miami when Brooklyn pushed them...I'm talking about crunch time, regardless of what the percentages say he was hitting big buckets when they mattered.

numbers don't lie. He was never a positive player in an Atlanta uniform once the playoffs started. In fact, he had a few years where he flat out should have been benched.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-12-2016, 05:29 PM
If rumors are true of $25M starting off per. Then Clarkson good as gone? Or Clarkson gets over paid to be bench 3rd guard?

nycericanguy
01-12-2016, 05:34 PM
25 mill a year for demar? :laugh2: although im laughing he will probably get around that much but still :laugh:

STARTING at $25m...lol. meaning with annual increases it would come close to $30m per year.

4/120m

Cap going up or not, good luck to whoever pays DD that much money.

it's not just the lack of a 3pt shot... it's the fact that he still shoots in the low 40's despite not taking 3's. Usually guys that don't shoot many 3's (like prime Wade) shoot around 50% because they arent shooting 3's to bring their % down.

I remember last year he had the 2nd lowest eFG% of any 20ppg scorer besides Rudy Gay. havent checked the other years though, he has been a bit better this year so far.

Lakers + Giants
01-12-2016, 06:09 PM
I don't believe this, don't want to believe this. Derozan is at best a 3rd option. That's ****in horrible, overrated as mother****er and 25 mil. This **** better not be true, putting me on ****in tilt already.

IndyRealist
01-12-2016, 06:19 PM

Numbers don't lie. People fail to understand them, and pretend they mean something they don't, and yes people flat out lie. But the numbers don't.

lamzoka
01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Btw the Raptors can offer him more and don't you think the "hollywood" argument is kind of dated? The Lakers have missed out on many marquee FAs over the past few yrs.

That was because nobody wanted to play with Kobe.

FlashBolt
01-12-2016, 06:49 PM
These contracts may seem less than it really is but the real value is whether or not it can screw a franchise over. Look at the Nets for an example. Really hope Toronto doesn't make a mistake here but DeRozan as your franchise player is going to get you to the first round only.

Redrum187
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't pay him more than 14 mil even with the new cap increase. Perhaps I underrate him, I just hate his game so much. No defense, no shot... his type of talent falls down a cliff in his early 30s.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 07:48 PM
That was because nobody wanted to with Kobe.

It can't be all Kobe.

Vinylman
01-12-2016, 09:00 PM

DD Marquee... thanks for the laughs

Raps08-09 Champ
01-12-2016, 09:14 PM
It's like they don't want Clarkson and Russell to develop. Why sign a guy who'll take minutes away from your young players?

aman_13
01-12-2016, 09:22 PM
DD Marquee... thanks for the laughs

I didn't say that but your welcome.

More-Than-Most
01-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Are we really comparing clarkson to Der? Lakers fans know I have been a huge Clarkson guy in their forum but les be serious? And are we really whining about the max? He is worth the max because the max is what everyone gets now a day and there were just far worse off season max contracts or near max contracts... He is a really nice player

It seems more like this is a quick lets complain because the lakers are going to get him so he automatically is a bad signing type of nonsense.

aman_13
01-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Are we really comparing clarkson to Der? Lakers fans know I have been a huge Clarkson guy in their forum but les be serious? And are we really whining about the max? He is worth the max because the max is what everyone gets now a day and there were just far worse off season max contracts or near max contracts... He is a really nice player

It seems more like this is a quick lets complain because the lakers are going to get him so he automatically is a bad signing type of nonsense.

This forum makes him sound like a scrub. DD is a pretty good basketball player.

R. Johnson#3
01-12-2016, 09:44 PM
After reading this thread it's clear to see that nobody actually watches DeRozan play.

xbrackattackx
01-12-2016, 09:46 PM
It wouldn't be too bad. I mean next year we will have Randle,Russell,Nance JR and Simmons on rookie scale deals. So with Demar added to that. It sucks to over pay. But at least the lakers will have a "star". That will hold us over while Simmons developes.

Avenged
01-12-2016, 10:08 PM
God please no..

Teeboy1487
01-12-2016, 10:10 PM
25 mil? Are the Lakers insane. This organization has sunk so badly. Would rather gamble on a cheaper Clarkson at the 2. EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I really like Demar as a player. It would be fun to watch him in LA and share the backcourt with Russell. However 25 million a year is alot for him even with the cap jump. I like 18-20 million per year better.

ghettosean
01-12-2016, 10:58 PM

This forum makes him sound like a scrub. DD is a pretty good basketball player.

This (Both above posts)

ldawg
01-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Well lakers got to spend cash. You got to ask who is worthy? Durant, Derozan, Beal, Horford, Whiteside may be the top free agents. So Who else can they give the cash to? Durant aint going LA. This is a team sport and i am thinking if they do sign him he wont be the only player they add. If Lakers keep their pick they are more likely to draft a sf. Ben, Ingram, Brown are the top prospects so far. Clarkson in reality is a combo guard and will be a great 6th man. Laker fans are so comical. Ok Derozan is not a max player. HMMMMMMMMM did any one see Jimmy butler, Kawhi contracts? Kobe is about to retire get over it. Kobes Lebrons, Currys dont grow on trees. Lakers got to go the team approach.

very possible

Whiteside,Black
Randle,Bass
Ingram,Brown
Derozan,Clarkson
Russell,Lou

If lakers cant sign Durant or Derozan this whould be another year the top free agents spun them. But to think Derozan is not one of the best free agent on the market you have not been watching the NBA. Who is the best sg in the league? is it not James Harden and it goes down from there each avg around 22ppg.

IMO top 5 sg

Harden
Klay
Jimmy
Derozan
Beal
Wade

WaDe03
01-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Well lakers got to spend cash. You got to ask who is worthy? Durant, Derozan, Beal, Horford, Whiteside may be the top free agents. So Who else can they give the cash to? Durant aint going LA. This is a team sport and i am thinking if they do sign him he wont be the only player they add. If Lakers keep their pick they are more likely to draft a sf. Ben, Ingram, Brown are the top prospects so far. Clarkson in reality is a combo guard and will be a great 6th man. Laker fans are so comical. Ok Derozan is not a max player. HMMMMMMMMM did any one see Jimmy butler, Kawhi contracts? Kobe is about to retire get over it. Kobes Lebrons, Currys dont grow on trees. Lakers got to go the team approach.

very possible

Whiteside,Black
Randle,Bass
Ingram,Brown
Derozan,Clarkson
Russell,Lou

If lakers cant sign Durant or Derozan this whould be another year the top free agents spun them. But to think Derozan is not one of the best free agent on the market you have not been watching the NBA. Who is the best sg in the league? is it not James Harden and it goes down from there each avg around 22ppg.

IMO top 5 sg

Harden
Klay
Jimmy
Derozan
Beal
Wade

You gave 6 SGs but that's a bad list lol.

FlashBolt
01-13-2016, 12:34 AM

very possible

Whiteside,Black
Randle,Bass
Ingram,Brown
Derozan,Clarkson
Russell,Lou

IMO top 5 sg

Harden
Klay
Jimmy
Derozan
Beal
Wade

1) What makes you think KD won't sign with the Lakers? I might not like it but I don't see why it wouldn't make sense for KD.
2) 2017, Westbrook. Lots of names to work around with other than DeRozan -- who I find is just a better version of Clarkson but at what cost? Clarkson is 23 and can still improve. I don't see a reason to replace Clarkson for DeRozan when you can pay Clarkson significantly less. It's not like DeRozan is groundbreaking.
3) Whiteside makes sense for this team but not for max.
4) Blake Griffin/CP3 are all available options. Maybe not CP3 since they have Russell but Blake Griffin with Whiteside with developing Russell/Clarkson/Randle might not be too bad. Good enough to make the playoffs for sure and possibly 50 wins.

ldawg
01-13-2016, 12:42 AM
You gave 6 SGs but that's a bad list lol.Wade and Beal head to head

ldawg
01-13-2016, 12:53 AM
1) What makes you think KD won't sign with the Lakers? I might not like it but I don't see why it wouldn't make sense for KD.
2) 2017, Westbrook. Lots of names to work around with other than DeRozan -- who I find is just a better version of Clarkson but at what cost? Clarkson is 23 and can still improve. I don't see a reason to replace Clarkson for DeRozan when you can pay Clarkson significantly less. It's not like DeRozan is groundbreaking.
3) Whiteside makes sense for this team but not for max.
4) Blake Griffin/CP3 are all available options. Maybe not CP3 since they have Russell but Blake Griffin with Whiteside with developing Russell/Clarkson/Randle might not be too bad. Good enough to make the playoffs for sure and possibly 50 wins.1. Why would Durant leave his team to go to a worst one? 2nd Its 2016 not 2017 they got a min so they got to spend the cash on someone. 3rd Exactly Whiteside aint worth that cash, 4th what does Blake griffen/cp3 got to do with it? Are they winning on the Clippers? Why would Lakers want to be the Clippers? And you suggest Randle and Griffen on the same court? Its simple thats the going rate for players like Drozan and its still an upgrade over Clarkson. The team still got room for him as well.

WaDe03
01-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Wade and Beal head to head

Wades easily better than Beal. Has also outplayed Harden and Klay head to head. He may not but up big numbers every single night but that's to be expected of a 34 year old. When he plays these guys head to head he usually wins the battle.

ldawg
01-13-2016, 01:32 AM
Wades easily better than Beal. Has also outplayed Harden and Klay head to head. He may not but up big numbers every single night but that's to be expected of a 34 year old. When he plays these guys head to head he usually wins the battle.thats what make a good player being consistent. What he does on one night is great, Kobe can be the old kobe one night too. Thats not saying Wade is bad but he is not the Wade of a few back. He is not class best. Thats a huge deference between being the top team in the East vs middle of the pack. So would he be a clear cut advantage over Derozan? In other word Lakers would have one of the better sg in the game. Its not like he will be going up againts a prime Kobe or Wade. He will be going up against Jimmy Butler, Klay, this version of Wade, Harden, Beal, Jr smith, eric Gordan, Danny Green, etc

KingoftheFall
01-13-2016, 01:36 AM
On a championship level team I would say he's a 3rd option player. Not much different than being the second option I just feel like a team would have to have at least 2 better players than him with a solid supporting cast to be a legit contender in the league today.

That would be Lowry and Durant once he signs here!:D

NFLNBA
01-13-2016, 02:01 AM
25 mil a year should only be for top 10 players who can carry a team....kobes, lebrons, durrants, cousins, Currys of NBA

Chrisclover
01-13-2016, 02:46 AM
Desperate teams do desperate things. The Nets threw tons of money on old men Garnett and Pierce.

More-Than-Most
01-13-2016, 04:14 AM
25 mil a year should only be for top 10 players who can carry a team....kobes, lebrons, durrants, cousins, Currys of NBA

Lol just wait until this off season and we will come back to this post.

Gander13SM
01-13-2016, 04:38 AM
Lol just wait until this off season and we will come back to this post.

Just because that's what guys like DeRozan will get doesn't mean it's right.

DeRozan is not a top tier player. I don't even think he's second tier, he's MAYBE third tier.

He's somewhere in between Jeff Green and Tyreke Evans. Lmao.

Max contracts for guys like this will only lead to another lockout.

Legitimate
01-13-2016, 09:34 AM
DD is the 4th best SG in the league...I think Butler is better than him. He'll come to the raps at a bargain so we can sign another player in the offseason...Kevin Durant anyone? I really think KD would consider signing with us, to play for a top team in the east and he would have a cake walk to the finals every year... hell...we can even trade away 4 draft picks and our entire farm for him in a sign and trade, i know OKC would consider

Leach11
01-13-2016, 10:56 AM
After reading this thread it's clear to see that nobody actually watches DeRozan play.

This and they don't look at the numbers either. Top 10 in offensive wins shares. Top 15 in wins shares.

And he's clearly getting better.

R. Johnson#3
01-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Yeah, because Kobe is really carrying the Lakers. It's 2016. Get out of your time machine.

R. Johnson#3
01-13-2016, 11:12 AM
This and they don't look at the numbers either. Top 10 in offensive wins shares. Top 15 in wins shares.

They look at the numbers, well, number. That number being 3pt %.

LanceUpperCut
01-13-2016, 11:49 AM

Not bad for a guy who only gets to the line eh.

JasonJohnHorn
01-13-2016, 12:13 PM
I think he's overpaid right now.

If there are teams THAT interested in him, Toronto should move him to the trading block.

I give him props for getting to the line effectively, but he's a bad shooter. Below average from the arc, and below average inside the arc.

He does have a decent all-around game, and is able to draw fouls, but I think he's inefficient as a scorer, and that seems to be what his primary job is.

I'd be happy to see the Raptors let him go for nothing to be honest.

LanceUpperCut
01-13-2016, 12:31 PM

If there are teams THAT interested in him, Toronto should move him to the trading block.

I give him props for getting to the line effectively, but he's a bad shooter. Below average from the arc, and below average inside the arc.

He does have a decent all-around game, and is able to draw fouls, but I think he's inefficient as a scorer, and that seems to be what his primary job is.

Overpaid right now? Wow some people.

Leach11
01-13-2016, 12:44 PM

It's fine that you have that opinion and all, but it's a garbage opinion. Nothing supports that he's currently overpaid. 55% TS, top 10 in offensive wins shares, top 15 in wins shares, top 30 in PER, 2nd in FTM. And, despite being perceived as a bad defender, he still has a defensive rating that sits around league average. He's also the #1 offensive option on a top 10 offensive team that has been riddled with injuries and yet is currently sitting at 2nd in the East and 6th in the league.

aman_13
01-13-2016, 12:55 PM

If you think he's overpaid right now, then you aren't paying attention to what he's doing this yr. Really most of the posters aren't on this forum.

WaDe03
01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Seeing these numbers guys are going to be getting is pretty crazy considering this year is the first year Wade has made 20 million and he's 5 years past his prime. Shows how unselfish he's been with the Heat over his career.

goingfor28
01-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Ditto

Bruno
01-13-2016, 07:52 PM
says Demar Derozans agent...

IndyRealist
01-13-2016, 10:27 PM
It's fine that you have that opinion and all, but it's a garbage opinion. Nothing supports that he's currently overpaid. 55% TS, top 10 in offensive wins shares, top 15 in wins shares, top 30 in PER, 2nd in FTM. And, despite being perceived as a bad defender, he still has a defensive rating that sits around league average. He's also the #1 offensive option on a top 10 offensive team that has been riddled with injuries and yet is currently sitting at 2nd in the East and 6th in the league.

I'm a stathead, and the only ones in that list I think matter are TS% and FTM. Win shares and PER are pretty meh, and defensive rating is skewed by being on a good defensive team. Monta Ellis is having a career year in DRting, for instance. I agree he's not overpaid, especially this year, but to say that it's a "garbage opinion" to think otherwise is extreme. He's not your primary ballhandler, has limited range, and takes low value shots. I can see people being down on him.

ldawg
01-13-2016, 10:34 PM
No one is good enough for Laker fans. No one. they will complain about everyone. This is different times. No Shaq there for the taking and no one will trade them a stud on draft night. Derozan is one of the top free agents in the off Season like it or not. Is he worth the Max? Look around the league. That would be a solid pick up for the Lakers. They got to spend some cash so they better hope to snag the better players on the Market.

IndyRealist
01-13-2016, 10:34 PM
They look at the numbers, well, number. That number being 3pt %.

Not true at all. The number is not 3pt%, it's that he takes 23% of his shots from long 2s, and 68% of his shots not behind the line and not at the rim. And when he does take long 2s, he's only 35% on them. That's 0.7 points per shot taken, versus 0.87 points per shot on 3s FROM A HORRIBLE 3PT SHOOTER. Even at his 29%, it's better if he stepped back and took the 3, than take the 2pt shots he's taking.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Not true at all. The number is not 3pt%, it's that he takes 23% of his shots from long 2s, and 68% of his shots not behind the line and not at the rim. And when he does take long 2s, he's only 35% on them. That's 0.7 points per shot taken, versus 0.87 points per shot on 3s FROM A HORRIBLE 3PT SHOOTER. Even at his 29%, it's better if he stepped back and took the 3, than take the 2pt shots he's taking.

23% is actually low. You can see that he's actually decreased his percentage of long 2s by 11% and has increased his percentage of fga closer to the rim. His true shooting percentage is at 55% which is fairly effecient. Not elite of course but still respectable especially considering he's not a three point shooter and opponents know he's looking to go to the rim.

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 01:02 AM
Some of you are confusing overpaid with their actual market value. DeRozan can command that much because it's pretty much the norm these days. The issue here is he's not going to help the Lakers much at all and it makes zero sense on a development/financial viewpoint. Clarkson is the same player and you can offer him pennies compared to DeRozan.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 01:07 AM
Some of you are confusing overpaid with their actual market value. DeRozan can command that much because it's pretty much the norm these days. The issue here is he's not going to help the Lakers much at all and it makes zero sense on a development/financial viewpoint. Clarkson is the same player and you can offer him pennies compared to DeRozan.

He's not the same player though.

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 01:43 AM
He's not the same player though.

They pretty much are. The difference is negligible. I'm not saying DeRozan = Clarkson but their style of play is pretty similar.

IndyRealist
01-14-2016, 01:49 AM
23% is actually low. You can see that he's actually decreased his percentage of long 2s by 11% and has increased his percentage of fga closer to the rim. His true shooting percentage is at 55% which is fairly effecient. Not elite of course but still respectable especially considering he's not a three point shooter and opponents know he's looking to go to the rim.
See my post below. I don't disagree with you, I was pointing out why people might be down on him and they are completely valid reasons.

I'm a stathead, and the only ones in that list I think matter are TS% and FTM. Win shares and PER are pretty meh, and defensive rating is skewed by being on a good defensive team. Monta Ellis is having a career year in DRting, for instance. I agree he's not overpaid, especially this year, but to say that it's a "garbage opinion" to think otherwise is extreme. He's not your primary ballhandler, has limited range, and takes low value shots. I can see people being down on him.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 02:01 AM
They pretty much are. The difference is negligible. I'm not saying DeRozan = Clarkson but their style of play is pretty similar.

DeMar relies more on the mid range.

Clarkson shoots a higher percentage of his shots at the rim and takes threes. Even without looking at numbers, it's easy to see they are very different players.

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 02:10 AM
DeMar relies more on the mid range.

Clarkson shoots a higher percentage of his shots at the rim and takes threes. Even without looking at numbers, it's easy to see they are very different players.

You're being extremely nitpicky here. Their shot selection is as close as can be this season. You're saying DeMar relies more on mid-range but DeMar has changed that this season. He's going to the post more this season. You would have a point in his previous years but this year it's literally the same game.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 02:22 AM
You're being extremely nitpicky here. Their shot selection is as close as can be this season. You're saying DeMar relies more on mid-range but DeMar has changed that this season. He's going to the post more this season. You would have a point in his previous years but this year it's literally the same game.

I'm not nitpicking. 22% of DeMar's shots come from 10-16 feet out. Only 12% of Clarkson's attempts come from that range. That's a huge difference.

Clarkson shoots way more threes. They are different players.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 02:31 AM

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 02:31 AM
I'm not nitpicking. 22% of DeMar's shots come from 10-16 feet out. Only 12% of Clarkson's attempts come from that range. That's a huge difference.

Clarkson shoots way more threes. They are different players.

It's negligible. The point isn't that DeMar = Clarkson or vice-versa. It's that these two play the same position and the cost-benefit just isn't there. Shot selection wise, DeMar takes less threes and more shots from 10-16 while Clarkson takes more threes and less shots from 10-16. Elsewhere, it's pretty much the same game.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 02:37 AM
It's negligible. The point isn't that DeMar = Clarkson or vice-versa. It's that these two play the same position and the cost-benefit just isn't there. Shot selection wise, DeMar takes less threes and more shots from 10-16 while Clarkson takes more threes and less shots from 10-16. Elsewhere, it's pretty much the same game.

I agree that they should let Clarkson develop. The difference you mentioned there is what makes them different players. The difference in percentages is not small. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

FriedTofuz
01-14-2016, 03:20 AM
STARTING at $25m...lol. meaning with annual increases it would come close to $30m per year.

4/120m

Cap going up or not, good luck to whoever pays DD that much money.

it's not just the lack of a 3pt shot... it's the fact that he still shoots in the low 40's despite not taking 3's. Usually guys that don't shoot many 3's (like prime Wade) shoot around 50% because they arent shooting 3's to bring their % down.

I remember last year he had the 2nd lowest eFG% of any 20ppg scorer besides Rudy Gay. havent checked the other years though, he has been a bit better this year so far.

Except that isnt relevant because he's not playing like he did last year. He's actually become much more efficient, very efficient, high 40s in many games and low 50s. He's come a long way. His 3pt shoot looks respectable, he can get it consistently over 30% by the end of the season and I think he'll be fine. HIs mechanics on his form changed, it looks much better than ive ever seen him before.

Just becaue the lakers plan to offer the max doesnt mean the raptors have to follow. they could offer offer 5 years 100 mil and that's 20 mil a year. The lakers can give a max of 4 years 25 mil. It's the same money. If derozan really wants to be here he'd take toronto over LA anyday because he says this is where he wants to play and where he wants to be. Both teams offering cumulatively the same money, why take LA over TOR? Derozan hates losing, he would not want to go to a scrub laker team just because he's from compton. The man visits his hometown every year, he does not get home sick, he loves toronto. I dont see him leaving even if the lakers offer him a max. I think the most toronto will offer if in need to cave is 22 mill a year for a 5 year contract of 110. No more

Gander13SM
01-14-2016, 03:31 AM
If you think he's overpaid right now, then you aren't paying attention to what he's doing this yr. Really most of the posters aren't on this forum.

So if you can score well and get to the line but can't shoot 3's and are merely average defensively you're worth >100 million?

Fair enough. I don't agree with it but if that's what GMs want to pay then go ahead.

Gander13SM
01-14-2016, 03:39 AM
He's 24th in TS%. If people are really arguing eFG%/TS% as a way to validate his pay then you also think the following guys are worth 100 million;

Crabbe, Eric Gordon, Tyler Johnson, Evan Fournier, J.J Redick

Yes?

ldawg
01-14-2016, 07:41 AM
What you all dont get is Lakers aint about to ride out rookies who will max out in the middle of the pack. Lakers have always been about winning titles and the reality is rookies dont win them. Lakers want Cousins and thats no secret. Expect them to trade for cousins and Clakson will be in that trade if it goes down. with the cash on deck you can sure bet they will offer to the best free agents available. Durant and Derozan will be in the top 5.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Like I said a few pages back Middleton's contract looks like a steal if DeRozan gets over paid and cant hit threes for being a SG.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-14-2016, 10:37 AM
this is not true. noone is this dumb wow

Leach11
01-14-2016, 10:52 AM
He's 24th in TS%. If people are really arguing eFG%/TS% as a way to validate his pay then you also think the following guys are worth 100 million;

Yes?

No.

None of them are sniffing the top 10 in league scoring and none of them are the main focus of opposing teams' defenses.

Leach11
01-14-2016, 10:59 AM

What single stat better evaluates a player's contribution as a whole? Just look at the top 10 in WS. No name looks out of place. Of course, no stat is perfect, but I'd say that it is a fairly accurate assessment of an individual player's worth.

nycericanguy
01-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Except that isnt relevant because he's not playing like he did last year. He's actually become much more efficient, very efficient, high 40s in many games and low 50s. He's come a long way. His 3pt shoot looks respectable, he can get it consistently over 30% by the end of the season and I think he'll be fine. HIs mechanics on his form changed, it looks much better than ive ever seen him before.

Just becaue the lakers plan to offer the max doesnt mean the raptors have to follow. they could offer offer 5 years 100 mil and that's 20 mil a year. The lakers can give a max of 4 years 25 mil. It's the same money. If derozan really wants to be here he'd take toronto over LA anyday because he says this is where he wants to play and where he wants to be. Both teams offering cumulatively the same money, why take LA over TOR? Derozan hates losing, he would not want to go to a scrub laker team just because he's from compton. The man visits his hometown every year, he does not get home sick, he loves toronto. I dont see him leaving even if the lakers offer him a max. I think the most toronto will offer if in need to cave is 22 mill a year for a 5 year contract of 110. No more

yep we'll see if he can sustain it for the whole season tho...he started off like the same old DD but he's been on fire the last 20 games or so. and yes more efficient this year, tho "very efficient" is pushing it..lol. A guy like him that doesn't shoot 3's should be shooting in the high 40's. shooting low to mid 40's on almost all 2's simply isn't good.

as for your 2nd point, there's a HUGE difference between 5/100 and 4/100. He can get another big contract in 4 years, so why play 5 years for the same money? Also the Lakers can offer alot more than $25m per year, their total offer can be something like 4/120. I'd be surprised if he only got 5/110m from TOR, Masaii has a tendency to overpay players and he seems to love DD.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 03:51 PM

Yes?

Why even bring up those players? They are no where near as talented as DeMar lol.

Chronz
01-14-2016, 04:07 PM
You guys seriously comparing an All-Star to Clarkson? LOL, Clarkson sucks

jerellh528
01-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Lol this fool ^

aman_13
01-14-2016, 04:32 PM
You guys seriously comparing an All-Star to Clarkson? LOL, Clarkson sucks

We were comparing style of play.

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 04:37 PM
We were comparing style of play.

I don't think DeRozan is worth $15 million more than Clarkson. Curious to see what everyone else thinks but Lakers are better off developing some talent right now and then wait for the bigger names to become free agents. No point in being hasty for DeRozan.

aman_13
01-14-2016, 04:50 PM
I don't think DeRozan is worth $15 million more than Clarkson. Curious to see what everyone else thinks but Lakers are better off developing some talent right now and then wait for the bigger names to become free agents. No point in being hasty for DeRozan.

Yeah I think the Lakers should remain patient and let their young players develop.

ldawg
01-14-2016, 10:38 PM
No, thats not how they got all those rings. Two more years and Clarkson will demand 20+ anyway. Hes projected to be a second tier player as well. Lakers will take it base on how the draft and Cousins unfold. They may elect to stick with the youth movement as plan B if they cant get a team of guys entering their prime.