PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony: 6 games, 30 assists, 7 turnovers

JasonJohnHorn
01-11-2016, 01:45 PM
https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/686566228723380225

I haven't been watching the Knicks this year, but I thought this was interesting. It may be slightly anomalous, but it seems clear that he has improved his passing game immensely since coming to NY and this year especially.

I love seeing older guys who are already perennial all-stars continue to push themselves to improve.

I've never been a huge Melo fan, but this is earning my respect.

Thoughts? NY fans been watching games. What have you noticed?

Tony_Starks
01-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Impressive. Im sure Afflallo catching fire briefly during that span probably inflated it a bit, but still impressive. Especially for a guy who has the label of being a "ball stopper."

D-Leethal
01-11-2016, 01:57 PM
The Melo we've seen these past 5-6 games is a Melo that has never existed in the NBA. Complete pass first mentality coupled with intense defensive effort. The bond growing between he and Porzingis on and off the court is a beautiful thing to watch.

kdspurman
01-11-2016, 01:57 PM
He's maturing a lot these days, and just making better decisions & playing with more overall intensity. & Of course now he's got some help around him. So that + realizing he can't do it all is equaling to better ball overall

Hawkeye15
01-11-2016, 01:58 PM
The Melo we've seen these past 5-6 games is a Melo that has never existed in the NBA. Complete pass first mentality coupled with intense defensive effort. The bond growing between he and Porzingis on and off the court is a beautiful thing to watch.

which is awesome, we all knew Melo didn't like the pick much. KP could really use this version of Melo

thapastime7
01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
which is awesome, we all knew Melo didn't like the pick much. KP could really use this version of Melo

Says who the media...they will say anthing for a story. Melo reached out to him and they worked out. He even shows KP some moves and decided to stop jokingly said he learns to fast.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Look at Draymond Green ... it's a lot easier to get assists AND to throw the pass when your teammates are scoring regularly. Melo may have matured years ago ... he just didn't have teammates who could regularly finish the plays.

nycericanguy
01-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Look at Draymond Green ... it's a lot easier to get assists AND to throw the pass when your teammates are scoring regularly. Melo may have matured years ago ... he just didn't have teammates who could regularly finish the plays.

not like he has an all star roster around his this year either.

He's definitely been a different player the last 7 games or so, we hear every year that Melo is playing better D and passing more... but it's always been mostly BS. This stretch of games though, he's just been different. He is looking for guys and getting guys good looks and taking better shots.

Did something click for him? We'll see... I remember thinking something had clicked for JR smith a few years ago when he started driving and attacking and getting to the line and not settling for bad jumpers. But that didn't last very long. So I want to see more before I fall for it.

He's been a much more fun player to watch as of late, that's for sure.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2016, 02:33 PM
So over a huge SIX GAMES, he's averaged 2 more assists per game than his career average (5 to 3)? Is that what this thread is about?

nycericanguy
01-11-2016, 02:36 PM
So over a huge SIX GAMES, he's averaged 2 more assists per game than his career average (5 to 3)? Is that what this thread is about?

sounds like you havent been watching TBH.

Also for the season he's averaging almost 4apg, (3.8) a career high, despite playing basically a career LOW in MPG.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 02:42 PM
And in those 6 games Melo has shot over .400 3 times. He's not setting the world on fire ... but some of his teammates were playing particularly well in some of those games, and Melo played great in a few and the result is 4 wins in 6 games. Something to be proud of.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2016, 02:43 PM
sounds like you havent been watching TBH.

Also for the season he's averaging almost 4apg, (3.8) a career high, despite playing basically a career LOW in MPG.

No I haven't been watching. Just saw the thread title that showed he's been averaging 5 APG. Guess my jaw didn't drop like it did for others. His Per36 is still just 4.0 APG on the year, which yes, is 0.9 above his career average in that category. Maybe I'm just missing how this is newsworthy outside of NY.

ewing
01-11-2016, 03:29 PM
No I haven't been watching. Just saw the thread title that showed he's been averaging 5 APG. Guess my jaw didn't drop like it did for others. His Per36 is still just 4.0 APG on the year, which yes, is 0.9 above his career average in that category. Maybe I'm just missing how this is newsworthy outside of NY.

Why so combative?

MarvinJackson
01-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Career loser. Been in the league about 12 years now and hasn't advanced past the first round but 2 times and he plays in the historically bad East. Even the West wasn't that good when he played there. only one good team then.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Why so combative?

Why so serious?

ewing
01-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Why so serious?

i'm not, you just seem grumpy. Everything OK?

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2016, 03:36 PM
i'm not, you just seem grumpy. Everything OK?

I'm always grumpy though. Nothing new to see here.

ewing
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm always grumpy though. Nothing new to see here.

maybe you should get more sleep.

MarvinJackson
01-11-2016, 03:43 PM
That's a very low amount of assist for someone that has the ball on the perimeter as much as he does.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2016, 03:45 PM
maybe you should get more sleep.

Thank you for the advice Dr. Patrick Ewing. I'll try, just came out of a 3 day stay in the ICU.

thapastime7
01-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Career loser. Been in the league about 12 years now and hasn't advanced past the first round but 2 times and he plays in the historically bad East. Even the West wasn't that good when he played there. only one good team then.

SALTY MUCH. But let me guess kd harden marc gasol list goes on these are careeer loser right because a ring is everythig for a basketball player right. Melo had lakers Spurs kings and his whole draft class is full of HOF. DENVER WAS ALWAYS A 45 TO 50 plus wins that to me sounds like a winning player in a bad era like barkley, ewing and karl malone.

MarvinJackson
01-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Beat LeBrat one time. I'm tired of these non competitive players in the East and their fans trying to say they're worth a damn.
DO SOMETHING!!! beat Lebrat in a series.

GiantsSwaGG
01-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Let's see him do this CONSISTENTLY for the entire season and beyond, he's done this before 2 weeks stretch trusting his teammates just to revert back to Iso Melo. I don't like Melo, never will but I love the way he's playing, hopefully it continues

MarvinJackson
01-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Win more than two rounds in your 15 year nothng career. I'm not a fan that goes crazy over Rings, but I do think you would win about 6 rounds. Especially in an easy East. Really you should win about 15 rounds. Like Billups did. Billups did it why can't Carmelo. Heck a player like Curry in todays game can win 80 games in a season and the title every year. Why can't Carmelo win 30 games in a season.

Ware_Spencer
01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Its not just his assists. If you haven't seen the Knicks play this year then I wouldn't comment on it being a big deal or not. The assists are only half the story. If you watch Melo he is playing within the offense. He isn't dominating the ball as much. He is buying into the system. Melo doesn't have score a lot for them to win. He doesn't even have to be efficient for the knicks to win. The Knicks are a defensive team now that is passing and playing like a team. Phil Jackson deserves credit. He got real ROLE players who understand the team comes first. Not your stats. And it is showing. The Knicks are a tough team. They are getting better each month. They are a fun team to watch if you like real team ball and defense.

GiantsSwaGG
01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Win more than two rounds in your 15 year nothng career. I'm not a fan that goes crazy over Rings, but I do think you would win about 6 rounds. Especially in an easy East. Really you should win about 15 rounds. Like Billups did. Billups did it why can't Carmelo. Heck a player like Curry in todays game can win 80 games in a season and the title every year. Why can't Carmelo win 30 games in a season.

Did Melo steal ya girl or something?

BKLYNpigeon
01-11-2016, 04:18 PM

Melo made it 2009 NBA Western Conference Finals

Nuggets vs. Lakers

MarvinJackson
01-11-2016, 04:22 PM
When the west was down he got lucky one year with a stacked team and barely got past a down Mavs team.

winning 2 rounds in 20 years isn't a winner. Sorry. He'll miss the playoffs this season too and next. He'll never make the playoffs again. How much you NY homos want to bet?

ewing
01-11-2016, 04:35 PM
When the west was down he got lucky one year with a stacked team and barely got past a down Mavs team.

winning 2 rounds in 20 years isn't a winner. Sorry. He'll miss the playoffs this season too and next. He'll never make the playoffs again. How much you NY homos want to bet?

if they do, will you make out with me?

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
if they do, will you make out with me?

How come I didn't get that offer? Guess I wasn't grumpy enough.

GiantsSwaGG
01-11-2016, 05:00 PM
How come I didn't get that offer? Guess I wasn't grumpy enough.

Ask Hawkeye

AI
01-11-2016, 05:01 PM

What are you talking about? The West was stacked when Melo was in DEN. Facing the Lakers and Spurs in the 1st round almost every year when they were winning championships left and right is not a knock on Melo for not being able to get out of the first round. Hell, even Utah was stacked when they had prime D-Will, Boozer, Kirilenko, Okur, etc.

MarvinJackson
01-11-2016, 05:07 PM
What are you talking about? The West was stacked when Melo was in DEN. Facing the Lakers and Spurs in the 1st round almost every year when they were winning championships left and right is not a knock on Melo for not being able to get out of the first round. Hell, even Utah was stacked when they had prime D-Will, Boozer, Kirilenko, Okur, etc.

There was one good team in the west and they really weren't even that great. it was Kobe and Gasol. Why can you not beat them.
Dirk swept them by himself.

Carmelo always lost in the playoffs during the first round in general.

Redrum187
01-11-2016, 05:17 PM

If they had to face the 1st or 2nd seed, it's a testament to their inability to get a higher seed. I remember when Den had "the best team on paper" but still under-performed. They had AI, Melo, Camby, Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Nene, etc... Surely Melo gets SOME blame for not doing anything of significance during that time.

Also, it wasn't just the Lakers and Spurs that destroyed them in the first round. The Clippers beat them quite easily IIRC in 06, the Timberwolves in 04, OKC in 11, and the Utah Jazz in 10.

NYKnickFanatic
01-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Something has definitely changed for Melo, who knows if he will keep it up though.

He is trying to find the open man, looking to pass out of double teams. The other day he actually pass up a wide open shot to give someone else a shot. Crazy.

He is also playing good hard defense. You can see how much effort he is putting in on that side and the team is following.

I hope he continues to play like this. He actually trusts his teammates.

Redrum187
01-11-2016, 05:31 PM
I think advanced defensive stats are dumb. A lot of people (especially the ones that do the redraft) love them however. I always just take it with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I find it interested than Melo has NEVER had a positive DBPM in his entire career (including this year). Do you guys think advanced defensive stats serve Melo justice or is he quite good on the defensive end like Knick fans are stating?

Bklyn24
01-11-2016, 05:32 PM
these numbers might not seem like a big deal, but anyone that has watched the knicks over the last 6-8 games would definitely notice Melo is playing better than he ever has. He is shooting less but still putting up points at a higher percentage. He is playing really solid defense, passing and rebounding at a very good rate. His intensity is just through the roof right now. I am curious to see how long he can keep this up for but if this is the Melo the knicks are going to get going forward, I don't see why they wouldn't make the playoffs or even get as high as a 6 seed.

This is one of the more enjoyable knick teams to watch in a while

Hawkeye15
01-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Ask Hawkeye

how did my sexy *** get roped into this?

NYKnickFanatic
01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
I think advanced defensive stats are dumb. A lot of people (especially the ones that do the redraft) love them however. I always just take it with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I find it interested than Melo has NEVER had a positive DBPM in his entire career (including this year). Do you guys think advanced defensive stats serve Melo justice or is he quite good on the defensive end like Knick fans are stating?

From watching him on the Knicks, can't speak on him while i Denver, I think the numbers do Melo justice.

His problem is that he isn't always committed to defense. He plays it in stretches, not hard all the time. But these past few games he looks totally different out there on D, but it could only be for a stretch, let's see.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 06:38 PM
I wonder ... I bet Melo has had a 6 game stretch at some other point in his career where he's had similar AST/TO numbers.

colinskik
01-11-2016, 06:45 PM
If they had to face the 1st or 2nd seed, it's a testament to their inability to get a higher seed. I remember when Den had "the best team on paper" but still under-performed. They had AI, Melo, Camby, Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Nene, etc... Surely Melo gets SOME blame for not doing anything of significance during that time.

Also, it wasn't just the Lakers and Spurs that destroyed them in the first round. The Clippers beat them quite easily IIRC in 06, the Timberwolves in 04, OKC in 11, and the Utah Jazz in 10.

All of those teams were quite good.

Redrum187
01-11-2016, 07:07 PM
All of those teams were quite good.

All western conference teams over the past 10+ years have been good though. I forgot which year it was, but the 8th seed was a 49 or 50 win team. That doesn't get anyone off the hook though.

I personally think Melo has greatly under-achieved in the postseason. However, I'd argue Kevin Durant's postseason success is a far greater disappointment considering the plethora of help he's had his entire career and the lack of anything to show for it, save it 1 finals appearance.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2016, 07:49 PM

Missed the playoffs only twice in his career... two games away from the finals one year. Obviously we have different views on the term loser. Melo is far from it. Only one good team in the West when he was there? In 2007-2008 it took 50 wins to get the 8th place spot while he was in the west. Making the playoffs every season of his career but two, is a career loser? Only one good team? you drinkin already?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2016, 07:59 PM
All western conference teams over the past 10+ years have been good though. I forgot which year it was, but the 8th seed was a 49 or 50 win team. That doesn't get anyone off the hook though.

I personally think Melo has greatly under-achieved in the postseason. However, I'd argue Kevin Durant's postseason success is a far greater disappointment considering the plethora of help he's had his entire career and the lack of anything to show for it, save it 1 finals appearance.

Never thought of it thought way, but I agree. When Melo had help from vets or even talent in general, he performed. Well, like the 2008 season with Billups, his 2012-2013 season in NY. When he was with Iverson, they both had the most effiecent season of there careers together. I wish Melo had Westbrook to play alongside, or even an Ibaka. Don't even get me started with the lack of help Iverson had.

cheetos185
01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Paul George can't get his team out of the east guess he's pathetic also. Anthony Davis can't even get into playoffs he's a overhyped loser too. Chris Paul can't get out of 2nd round overated as well.

xxplayerxx23
01-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Let's see him do this CONSISTENTLY for the entire season and beyond, he's done this before 2 weeks stretch trusting his teammates just to revert back to Iso Melo. I don't like Melo, never will but I love the way he's playing, hopefully it continues

He has played pretty well minus the first month :shrug:

xxplayerxx23
01-11-2016, 08:57 PM

Eh was that really the best team I guess but I agree Melo gets some but not all the blame. The Jazz one was embarrassing, and he wasn't there in 2011

FlashBolt
01-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Melo will never win a ring but I like his new approach to the game. Respect to him for trying to develop his game even when he's still a high level player. I could see Melo playing till his late 30's tbh. He definitely has the capability.

xxplayerxx23
01-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Melo has played really well on both ends. He's been passing more then 6 games. He's played well minus the first month of the season where his jumper wasn't falling

xxplayerxx23
01-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Melo will never win a ring but I like his new approach to the game. Respect to him for trying to develop his game even when he's still a high level player. I could see Melo playing till his late 30's tbh. He definitely has the capability.

Nobody knows that. First he could jump on a stacked team at the end of his career and win, second the Knicks could grab a star in FA and compete nobody can tell what the future brings

GiantsSwaGG
01-11-2016, 09:08 PM
He has played pretty well minus the first month :shrug:

Nah I agree, all I'm saying is keep it on for the ENTIRE season and beyond, he's done this before only to revert back. He's been playing great

More-Than-Most
01-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Its smart... Its what is needed to get him his first championship... They will sign durant this off season and this team just like that becomes the beasts of the East.

JasonJohnHorn
01-11-2016, 09:35 PM

It's the low turnovers and high usage as well.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2016, 09:38 PM

X2. Well said dlee

xxplayerxx23
01-12-2016, 12:43 AM
Nah I agree, all I'm saying is keep it on for the ENTIRE season and beyond, he's done this before only to revert back. He's been playing great

True. I believe this is him from now on, maybe it's just hope lol

IBleedPurple
01-12-2016, 02:28 AM
Does Melo have a twin brother with a different game?

FlashBolt
01-12-2016, 02:53 AM
Nobody knows that. First he could jump on a stacked team at the end of his career and win, second the Knicks could grab a star in FA and compete nobody can tell what the future brings

That's true but I think it's too late for him at this point to be the man and for that ring to truly be "his." I'm a New Yorker so I am dreading for the opportunity we can to get an elite free agent here. I really like Porzingis's development but it'll take a few more years before he can be a force.

lamzoka
01-12-2016, 03:15 AM

This guy is a troll. He baiting the Knicks fan base. Mods should do something about him