PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Parker

D-Leethal
01-11-2016, 01:39 PM
What's up with this guy? He and Wiggins were touted as the next Melo vs LeBron. Wiggins is holding up his end - Parker is pretty underwhelming to say the least. Is it the injury? Too many wings who need touches on his team? Has he shown flashes of greatness that I have been sleeping on? Is he closer to Mike Beasley than Carmelo Anthony? What say you?

Stunner
01-11-2016, 01:45 PM
The bucks roster is all over the place , they don't have any spacing on it outside of Middleton. Prob best to deal Jabari for the best deal they can to add some sort of balance .

LOb0
01-11-2016, 01:49 PM
ACL tear is generally a 2 year injury. Sure you comeback after a year but it takes another one to get 100% healed. I wouldn't judge him at all until next season.

5ass
01-11-2016, 01:55 PM
ACL tear is generally a 2 year injury. Sure you comeback after a year but it takes another one to get 100% healed. I wouldn't judge him at all until next season.

He doesn't look injured to me. He's as explosive as he's ever been. The problem is he's a tweener. He can't play defense at either forward positions, and he's also a poor rebounder and shooter.

D-Leethal
01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Does he have potential to be a top 3-5 scorer in the NBA as he was touted? Can we already say that ship has sailed? Is there a level to his game he hasn't been able to show us yet?

Where is Miller High Life at?

Hawkeye15
01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
I think he will be a nice scorer in his prime, but he is really stuck defensively. He isn't fast enough for wings, and not strong enough for bigs.

D-Leethal
01-11-2016, 02:13 PM
I think he will be a nice scorer in his prime, but he is really stuck defensively. He isn't fast enough for wings, and not strong enough for bigs.

So you see a little Antawn Jamison in his future?

ChitownbullsBG7
01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
He doesn't look injured to me. He's as explosive as he's ever been. The problem is he's a tweener. He can't play defense at either forward positions, and he's also a poor rebounder and shooter.

It doesn't matter how explosive he looks. It takes a while to recover from it. Factor in that he is basically still a rookie. Also you know he is a poor defender and not that great of a shooter. Their most consisted player is Middleton because everybody just packs the paint against them.

But can we give him more than 60 games before we say he isn't living up to the hype. Seriously this is just sad.

Hawkeye15
01-11-2016, 02:20 PM
So you see a little Antawn Jamison in his future?

great comparison. Yes, that is a very similar type I see.

But he is young, this is essentially his first full season, so he needs the chance to see what he can do. Plus they have the Greek Freak, and I think they are kind of overlapping at times.

nycericanguy
01-11-2016, 02:21 PM
he hasnt hit a 3 all year... he needs more range in his game. Melo his rookie year hit 66 three's and the 3 ball wasn't as big as it is now. doesnt draw many fouls either, his game seems to be based on inefficient 2's.

Tony_Starks
01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Maybe I'm being too critical but he still really looked out of shape to me. I know weight was a concern when he was drafted, then the injury.

I think if he shed a few it might make a big difference in his game....

D-Leethal
01-11-2016, 02:28 PM
It doesn't matter how explosive he looks. It takes a while to recover from it. Factor in that he is basically still a rookie. Also you know he is a poor defender and not that great of a shooter. Their most consisted player is Middleton because everybody just packs the paint against them.

But can we give him more than 60 games before we say he isn't living up to the hype. Seriously this is just sad.

This thread is more a "whats up with this guy?" and not a "this guy sucks". I was high on him coming out of the draft as the next great, versatile, fundamentally sound throwback scorer. I think 60 games is enough to gauge where he is at.

So you think him being not quite over the injury and his awkward fit on the Bucks roster is holding him back from greatness? I'm just not really sure what he is good at - has no range, lack of lift down low makes him easy to contest in the paint, nice touch around the rim out to 15 feet but I don't see an elite NBA scorer right now.

5ass
01-11-2016, 02:38 PM

In what way though? It seems to me people are just using his injury as an excuse. Like I said he is as explosive as ever and I don't notice a decrease in his aggressiveness near the basket. Yes he's readjusting to playing basketball again and I'm sure his conditioning isn't where he wants it to be, but I feel like some people are willing to ignore all his flaws due to his injury.

And I never bought the hype in the first place. Watched him this year and last year and he showed those exact same flaws. I'm not saying he's a bust. He could develop into a good scorer, but I don't see a superstar in the making.

5ass
01-11-2016, 02:40 PM
This thread is more a "whats up with this guy?" and not a "this guy sucks". I was high on him coming out of the draft as the next great, versatile, fundamentally sound throwback scorer. I think 60 games is enough to gauge where he is at.

So you think him being not quite over the injury and his awkward fit on the Bucks roster is holding him back from greatness? I'm just not really sure what he is good at - has no range, lack of lift down low makes him easy to contest in the paint, nice touch around the rim out to 15 feet but I don't see an elite NBA scorer right now.

Lack of lift down low? I think he's pretty damn explosive when he catches the ball close to the rim.

Yanks All Day
01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Jabari Parker is 20 years old and played a total of 25 games of his rookie year before tearing his ACL. He didn't have his proverbial "NBA legs" under him even before the injury. He's now 33 games into his rehab season. I don't think any judgments can be made on him for a while.

Jabari will be fine. He's struggling to shoot from beyond 16 feet thus far, but he was highly touted as a good shooter while at Duke. He hasn't lost any athleticism or explosiveness due to his knee injury. His struggles can be a product of Milwaukee's overall problems, as well. They've taken a step back when they were poised to take a leap forward. Still, he's scoring 11 ppg on 46.5% shooting. He's going to be ok.

As for the Wiggins - Parker duo as this generation's LeBron - Melo, that was over-hyped to begin with. It's too much to compare someone to LeBron James. They are what they are: Wiggins is more ready defensively and athletically to play in the NBA and has a higher ceiling. Parker is more polished. Even though he's underwhelmed, he's still a more efficient scorer and a better shooter than Wiggins. Both have a long, long way to go before they're bona fide stars. But they're both 20 years old. We judge and make comparisons to greats FAR too early in these kids' careers. Wiggins has played 119 games. Parker has played 58 games and has had a major knee injury. I'd revisit this topic in 2 years and wouldn't be surprised at all to see these two at the top of the league.

5ass
01-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Jabari Parker is 20 years old and played a total of 25 games of his rookie year before tearing his ACL. He didn't have his proverbial "NBA legs" under him even before the injury. He's now 33 games into his rehab season. I don't think any judgments can be made on him for a while.

Jabari will be fine. He's struggling to shoot from beyond 16 feet thus far, but he was highly touted as a good shooter while at Duke. He hasn't lost any athleticism or explosiveness due to his knee injury. His struggles can be a product of Milwaukee's overall problems, as well. They've taken a step back when they were poised to take a leap forward. Still, he's scoring 11 ppg on 46.5% shooting. He's going to be ok.

As for the Wiggins - Parker duo as this generation's LeBron - Melo, that was over-hyped to begin with. It's too much to compare someone to LeBron James. They are what they are: Wiggins is more ready defensively and athletically to play in the NBA and has a higher ceiling. Parker is more polished. Even though he's underwhelmed, he's still a more efficient scorer and a better shooter than Wiggins. Both have a long, long way to go before they're bona fide stars. But they're both 20 years old. We judge and make comparisons to greats FAR too early in these kids' careers. Wiggins has played 119 games. Parker has played 58 games and has had a major knee injury. I'd revisit this topic in 2 years and wouldn't be surprised at all to see these two at the top of the league.

Wiggins is actually a better shooter and more efficient scorer. Right now Wiggins is the better player and its not very close. Personally I would be surprised to see Parker at the top of the league. He has a long long way to go before he's a top 10 player. Wiggins also has a long way to get there, but I think he has a better chance than Parker.

TrueFan420
01-11-2016, 07:46 PM
He's in a bad situation. Not that the Bucks roster is devoid of talent it's just that it doesn't fit together at all. He'd be better off else where. And he's also still coming back from the injury. Either way this summer he needs to hit the gym and learn to be at least a solid corner 3 maker. It's the easiest of 3s.

Ware_Spencer
01-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I do not like Parker at all. The guy isn't fast enough for the SF spot and isn't long enough for the PF spot.
He isn't a playmaker and he isn't a good shooter. He has average athleticism and always seems out of shape. Seems pudgy.
All these things were true before his injury. I honestly think he is Michael Beasley in terms of his game. Parker is for sure way more mature but his game on the court seems similar to me. Score first mentality but without defense or playmaking. Jamison was a good 3 point shooter so Parker has a long ways to go.
I think Parker can be a 6th man on the right team. A place he can play the 3 and the 4 depending on match ups. I don't see him ever being a star. He is one of those guys that can give you scoring in bunches here and there but isn't good enough to rely on. Bench role is perfect for him.

If I was the bucks i would start Henson next to Monroe. They need defense more then anything. Let Henson protect the paint more.
Let Parker play SF and PF off the bench. Give him more touches as well.
Carter-Williams - Bayless
Middleton - OJ Mayo
Greek Freak - Parker
Monroe - Parker
Henson -

Bucks need to focus on defense first. Monroe can play C still but in smaller runs. Zaza was a big body who wasn't a great shot blocker but he understood defense. I was blown away when they signed Monroe and expected to compete at the same level with his bad defense.

5ass
01-11-2016, 08:37 PM
What's funny is that he was the one guy in the draft considered "a safe pick".

blahblahyoutoo
01-11-2016, 11:22 PM
What's up with this guy? He and Wiggins were touted as the next Melo vs LeBron. Wiggins is holding up his end - Parker is pretty underwhelming to say the least. Is it the injury? Too many wings who need touches on his team? Has he shown flashes of greatness that I have been sleeping on? Is he closer to Mike Beasley than Carmelo Anthony? What say you?

wiggins is not either.

JJ_JKidd
01-11-2016, 11:32 PM

The problem is that media tend to lay down too much expectations and place a lot of pressure on kids the next blah blah blah just let them play for chrisake.

IndyRealist
01-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Wiggins is actually a better shooter and more efficient scorer. Right now Wiggins is the better player and its not very close. Personally I would be surprised to see Parker at the top of the league. He has a long long way to go before he's a top 10 player. Wiggins also has a long way to get there, but I think he has a better chance than Parker.

They're both at 51% TS. Just looked.

Daze9900
01-12-2016, 11:25 AM

He's trying to say a physical + mental hurdle ACL could be healed and on most nights he might look explosive but conditioning and soreness can set in during back to backs or minutes played etc.. also some players afraid to get hurt again or trying to figure out what moves they can and can't make or shouldn't etc... I agree he does look good but its too soon to write him off i dont even see them calling plays really like that for him

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
They're both at 51% TS. Just looked.

First off, I need to say I am disappointed in Wiggins year 2. I thought he would take a bigger step.

Now, I do think Wiggins is the better long term prospect. He gets to the line at a high rate, he just needs better coaching, and to learn how to be more efficient, which will come I believe. He can also defend in the NBA.

Yanks All Day
01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Very few young players come into the NBA as playmakers. Even fewer young players know how to play efficient basketball. Those skills are developed over a few seasons. Parker and Wiggins are each 20 years old. To judge either of them based on efficiency isn't worth the time at this point.

Wiggins still has the higher ceiling. He's more athletic, gets to the rim easier, and plays solid NBA defense already. Parker came in as the "more polished" player, and basically immediately tore his ACL. That's a HUGE interruption, especially during a rookie season. It's not even a fair comparison at the moment.

Both have a long way to go. Wiggins is further along based solely on having the play time under his belt. I don't think we'll know what Jabari Parker is yet until at the very minimum next year. I want to give him a full NBA season, off season, practice schedule, and conditioning program before even thinking about it.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Does he have potential to be a top 3-5 scorer in the NBA as he was touted? Can we already say that ship has sailed? Is there a level to his game he hasn't been able to show us yet?

Where is Miller High Life at?

I'm thinking NBA draft already. As for Parker needs more time to get back in shape. He gained weight after ACL injury. Bucks should of purged the vets last season and tanked for high lottery pick. Instead of overachieving. Now we settled down and spent on free agents and gave away players and now we hardly have any veterans. All in all lottery cant come fast enough. At least we beat the Warriors and Cavs with very young team. Wait till these youngsters get a couple more years under their belts and other league super stars decline. Bucks will rise eventually.

5ass
01-12-2016, 05:31 PM
He's trying to say a physical + mental hurdle ACL could be healed and on most nights he might look explosive but conditioning and soreness can set in during back to backs or minutes played etc.. also some players afraid to get hurt again or trying to figure out what moves they can and can't make or shouldn't etc... I agree he does look good but its too soon to write him off i dont even see them calling plays really like that for him

I'm seeing the same flaws I saw last year TBH, and its not a conditioning/explosiveness issue. It's not like he was being asked to play 36 mpg and carry the offense right away. Still he has been playing 32 mpg in January so if there was any soreness its likely gone. Has Jabari even said anything about him being sore? Because that is exactly my point, how long will people give him the benefit of the doubt just because he was a #2 pick?

And I dont know what you mean by writing him off. I'm not saying he's a bust, but if you think he's a future superstar you have to admit he's way behind the curve.

IndyRealist
01-12-2016, 06:23 PM
.... t..that is exactly my point, how long will people give him the benefit of the doubt just because he was a #2 pick?

I'm guessing longer than 1600 career minutes.

5ass
01-12-2016, 07:30 PM
I'm guessing longer than 1600 career minutes.

I personally feel I have a good understanding of his game and potential, but if you want to keep the hype alive based on his 1000 minutes in college go ahead.

IndyRealist
01-12-2016, 07:36 PM
I personally feel I have a good understanding of his game and potential, but if you want to keep the hype alive based on his 1000 minutes in college go ahead.
Like how he's substantially less efficient than Wiggins, even though they're both 51% TS....

5ass
01-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Like how he's substantially less efficient than Wiggins, even though they're both 51% TS....

Show me were I said he was substantially less efficient than Wiggins. I simply said Wiggins was more efficient which is true (51.5% vs 51% TS). I was responding to someone who said Parker is more efficient. Consider the fact that Wiggins has more offensive and defensive responsibility (nearly 10% difference in USG%) and plays more minutes.

IndyRealist
01-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Show me were I said he was substantially less efficient than Wiggins. I simply said Wiggins was more efficient which is true (51.5% vs 51% TS). I was responding to someone who said Parker is more efficient. Consider the fact that Wiggins has more offensive and defensive responsibility (nearly 10% difference in USG%) and plays more minutes.

Hahahahahahaha...okay man.

5ass
01-13-2016, 12:45 AM
Hahahahahahaha...okay man.

Lol at least its factually correct. Wiggins' PER is also higher (15.7) than Jabari's (14.2).

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Lol at least its factually correct. Wiggins' PER is also higher (15.7) than Jabari's (14.2).

Remember Wiggins has more free rein and touches with Wolves. We have hard *** Kidd that favors veterans till Kidd left for hip surgery. We have MCW and Middleton and Moose and Mayo and Bayless jacking up a lot of shots. Yeah if it was up to me Giannis and Parker would get 20 shots each. Heck it's sad enough rookie Vaughn second best 3 point shooter and barely plays when we need another spacer. All Wiggins really has over Parker is a 3 point shot and better D. Hard to do a player comparisons for Parker.

I heard Paul Pierce or Glenn Robinson as comparisons. Even heard if he's a bust he's Marvin Williams. Even heard if Giannis doesn't improve any more he could be a better version of Darius Miles as a ceiling. All in all not worried. Parker gets a free pass this year from me since ACL. Next year he better be pushing for all star. Also better be working on 3 point shooting and improve his D. Also box out and grab more rebounds.

5ass
01-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Remember Wiggins has more free rein and touches with Wolves. We have hard *** Kidd that favors veterans till Kidd left for hip surgery. We have MCW and Middleton and Moose and Mayo and Bayless jacking up a lot of shots. Yeah if it was up to me Giannis and Parker would get 20 shots each. Heck it's sad enough rookie Vaughn second best 3 point shooter and barely plays when we need another spacer. All Wiggins really has over Parker is a 3 point shot and better D. Hard to do a player comparisons for Parker.

I heard Paul Pierce or Glenn Robinson as comparisons. Even heard if he's a bust he's Marvin Williams. Even heard if Giannis doesn't improve any more he could be a better version of Darius Miles as a ceiling. All in all not worried. Parker gets a free pass this year from me since ACL. Next year he better be pushing for all star. Also better be working on 3 point shooting and improve his D. Also box out and grab more rebounds.

But Middleton and Monroe are better offensive players. They should be getting more shots if you want to win, which Kidd has to do (otherwise he's admitting his failures as a GM). I understand wanting the young guys shoot 20 shots per game, but A LOT of stars have developed without it. You've got Bledsoe, PG, Butler, Millsap, Harden and many others. I'm sure it helps Wiggins with the per game averages, but then it should also hurt his efficiency.

All those weaknesses you listed don't have much to do with his surgery. That's all I'm saying.

Also two things Wiggins has over Parker is the ability to draw FTs and hit long 2s. That is basically the most important part because even Wiggins isn't a good defender or 3 pt shooter yet.