PDA

View Full Version : biggest atheltic freak

ewing
01-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Wilt is considered the biggest freak historically. i never saw him. I buy it but notice we are so blown away by these guys that the newest is always the best. In retrospect, i think Barkely is the biggest freak i have ever seen. Shaq i cant place so maybe he is first IDK. use these thread to talk about freak athletes who have played in the NBA and where they rank in terms of being an athletic freaks.

tredigs
01-10-2016, 09:48 PM
You've never seen film of young Wilt? Do you base everyone else just on who you have seen live? Not trying to be rude but it seems like a silly comment. I've seen enough of Wilt (and read enough about his track and field times) to know he's the biggest freak the league has seen then or now.

Biggest modern day freaks are probably Westbrook and Drummond to me.

Lakers + Giants
01-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Dwight in orl
Amare in phx
Deandre Jordan current
Lebron couple years ago
Blake Griffin current

Scoots
01-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Jordan still has the highest vertical recorded at the combine and had incredible endurance and health.

Barkley was spectacular dunking at 6'4" and 300 lbs, but if he was in shape he'd have been more amazing.

Wilt was so far away from his peers there was nobody to compare him to. I've seen videos but the dude retired when i was a baby.

bucketss
01-10-2016, 10:20 PM
prime lebron

basch152
01-10-2016, 10:37 PM
I'd probably agree with westbrook being the best athlete right now.

ewing
01-10-2016, 11:26 PM
You've never seen film of young Wilt? Do you base everyone else just on who you have seen live? Not trying to be rude but it seems like a silly comment. I've seen enough of Wilt (and read enough about his track and field times) to know he's the biggest freak the league has seen then or now.

Biggest modern day freaks are probably Westbrook and Drummond to me.

yep you are rude. I have seen many wilts youtube highlights

tredigs
01-10-2016, 11:34 PM
yep you are rude. I have seen many wilts youtube highlights

I see. But you've never seen him? Is there a reason why those vids are different to you than watching somebody on video now?

IDunknown
01-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Jordan still has the highest vertical recorded at the combine and had incredible endurance and health.

Barkley was spectacular dunking at 6'4" and 300 lbs, but if he was in shape he'd have been more amazing.

Wilt was so far away from his peers there was nobody to compare him to. I've seen videos but the dude retired when i was a baby.

Barkley wasn't that big for most of his pro career.:laugh:

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/sixers-charles-barkley-gain-weight-1984-nba-draft-philadelphia-76ers

superwill
01-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Jordan

Dominique people continue to piss on this man he was ungodly athletic

Doc that layup that he did was something he did five or six times at the rucker back in the day

David Thompson another ungodly athlete

superwill
01-11-2016, 12:19 AM
I know this is a basketball thread but the god of all athletes will always be Vincent Edward Jackson

IKnowHoops
01-11-2016, 02:02 AM
prime lebron

This easily

IKnowHoops
01-11-2016, 02:09 AM

If he and lebrun were the same size I would agree with you, but Bron is so much bigger and the athletic droopy between the two of them is not nearly as wide as the size and power difference. And Athletic ability is a combination of speed, size, power, coordination, quickness, explosiveness.

I believe Bron still clearly represents the most physically gifted player on the court still.

IKnowHoops
01-11-2016, 02:10 AM
I know this is a basketball thread but the god of all athletes will always be Vincent Edward Jackson

Its either him or Lebron.

LivinLakers
01-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Jordan

Dominique people continue to piss on this man he was ungodly athletic

Doc that layup that he did was something he did five or six times at the rucker back in the day

David Thompson another ungodly athlete

I agree with Dominique. That man did things in a game I had never seen before. And he did it every single game.
I also say Dr. J, Shaq (watching him live, I couldn't imagine someone that big being that athletic) and Vince Carter. Carter was the highest jumper I ever saw in person.

ewing
01-11-2016, 07:58 AM
I see. But you've never seen him? Is there a reason why those vids are different to you than watching somebody on video now?

it is different then me watching there career. I've never seen WIlt play a full game

ewing
01-11-2016, 09:39 AM

i think he definitely is. He is so nuclear that you cant help but think he the most athletic guy ever when you watch him. thats what i am talking about. Is Russ a head and shoulders about Robert Pack or prime KJ in terms of athleticism?

Nycbball08
01-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Have people forgotten what Vince Carter use to do in him prime? That man was a freak

Scoots
01-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Have people forgotten what Vince Carter use to do in him prime? That man was a freak

Vince's problem is that everything he did Jordan had already done and done better.

Nycbball08
01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=Scoots;30662096]Vince's problem is that everything he did Jordan had already done and done better.[/QUOTE

Are you saying Jordan was a better dunker than Vince?

valade16
01-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Vince's problem is that everything he did Jordan had already done and done better.

Vince was doing dunks Jordan never did. Or really anybody else either.

FraziersKnicks
01-11-2016, 11:25 AM
LeBron from about 2006-10 (so from 22-26) was unlike anything I had ever seen before.

No one has possessed his combination of speed, strength, size, mobility and explosion. Guy was faster than most point guards and stronger than a lot of PF/C's.

Tony_Starks
01-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Shawn Kemp.

Hawkeye15
01-11-2016, 12:51 PM
it was Wilt all time, no doubt.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Were they worth more points? I get your point, but in the history of sport there is always progression so the next generation builds off of the one before. I don't think Vince did anything athletically Jordan couldn't have done.

Hawkeye15
01-11-2016, 02:06 PM

MJ's body ability to remain off balance in the air and still finish is something I have never seen. Jordan was a better athlete than Vince, he just didn't have the vertical Vince did.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 02:33 PM
MJ's body ability to remain off balance in the air and still finish is something I have never seen. Jordan was a better athlete than Vince, he just didn't have the vertical Vince did.

Right ... Jordan had more. Jordan's measured vertical was 48", Vinces was 44".

hey whats up
01-11-2016, 08:13 PM
LEBRON KING JAMES:oldguy:

hey whats up
01-11-2016, 08:17 PM
it was Wilt all time, no doubt.

I AGREE! SLIT THE WILT!
LOVED HIM IN CONAN
WOULD HAVE DESTROYED THE BULLS:mad:

LOb0
01-11-2016, 08:47 PM

Vince is the greatest dunker of all time. And this is coming from someone that doesn't even think Vince belongs in the HOF.

FlashBolt
01-11-2016, 08:55 PM
It's probably Wilt but it honestly depends on what you're looking for. All around, I think it would have to be LeBron. Someone of his size capable of guarding frontcourt players occasionally, the ability to guard guards, strong as a center, fast as a guard. Just amazing sheer all around athleticism.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Vince is the greatest dunker of all time. And this is coming from someone that doesn't even think Vince belongs in the HOF.
But the discussion is best athlete not best dunker

IKnowHoops
01-12-2016, 02:28 AM
i think he definitely is. He is so nuclear that you cant help but think he the most athletic guy ever when you watch him. thats what i am talking about. Is Russ a head and shoulders about Robert Pack or prime KJ in terms of athleticism?

Yes, he is end to end faster than both. Verticals are close. Pack may have the highest vert, but Westy is the faster, quicker and more explosive player.

IKnowHoops
01-12-2016, 02:35 AM
1.Lebron
2.Wilt
3.Shaq
4.Jordan
5.Drob

IKnowHoops
01-12-2016, 02:39 AM
1.Lebron
2.Wilt
3.Shaq
4.Jordan
5.Drob

6.Westbrook
7.Iverson
8.Dr. J
9.Vince Carter
10.Bill Russell

tredigs
01-12-2016, 08:31 AM
What is Brons argument over Wilt? I don't think it's all that close between the two.

KnicksorBust
01-12-2016, 09:00 AM
1.Lebron
2.Wilt
3.Shaq
4.Jordan
5.Drob

Good list. But Wilt has to be #1. Chamberlain ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, shot-putted 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years, could bench press 500 pounds, and averaged 45.8 mpg for his career. His most unbreakable NBA record imo is averaging 48.5 mpg for a season. He played every minute of every game including overtime. That's an athletic freak.

Scoots
01-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Wilt also lead the NBA in rebounding and assists. He never fouled out ... not once ... I don't know that that's an athletic feat ... but tired players foul more and he never fouled out. He also was a champion badminton and volleyball player after he retired.

Rules added to the game because of Wilt ... the wide lane, goaltending, making it illegal to inbound the ball over the backboard, and making it illegal to be across the FT line while shooting FTs ... because he could dunk the ball from standing behind the FT line.

Wilt supposedly had a 50" vertical (2" more than the official best all time Jordan) ... but there wasn't an official combine at the time so it's just hearsay.

FlashBolt
01-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Wilt also lead the NBA in rebounding and assists. He never fouled out ... not once ... I don't know that that's an athletic feat ... but tired players foul more and he never fouled out. He also was a champion badminton and volleyball player after he retired.

Rules added to the game because of Wilt ... the wide lane, goaltending, making it illegal to inbound the ball over the backboard, and making it illegal to be across the FT line while shooting FTs ... because he could dunk the ball from standing behind the FT line.

Wilt supposedly had a 50" vertical (2" more than the official best all time Jordan) ... but there wasn't an official combine at the time so it's just hearsay.

Or maybe because the game was still at its early stages and new rules had to be added to fix the flaws in it? Leading NBA in rebounding/assists... well, we all know the highly inflated stats and lack of competition so that doesn't really say much.

He's certainly a special breed of athletes. I want to put LeBron at the same category just because we're seeing a player doing this against the best era of athletes in basketball history.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
What is Brons argument over Wilt? I don't think it's all that close between the two.

the only thing I could figure is handles. Wilt though was just unfair as an athlete

tredigs
01-12-2016, 02:24 PM
the only thing I could figure is handles. Wilt though was just unfair as an athlete

Well yeah, but that's like comparing Bron's handles to Kyrie's from a size difference perspective. I just mean that Wilt was bigger/stronger/faster and could jump higher plus had more endurance. He also had incredible touch/dexterity for his size. Truly the most incredible athlete I've seen in any sport.

For some that want a refresher on the guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvdsi6gLl8

Scoots
01-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Or maybe because the game was still at its early stages and new rules had to be added to fix the flaws in it? Leading NBA in rebounding/assists... well, we all know the highly inflated stats and lack of competition so that doesn't really say much.

He's certainly a special breed of athletes. I want to put LeBron at the same category just because we're seeing a player doing this against the best era of athletes in basketball history.

Early stages ... basketball was 68 years old before he joined the NBA, but sure rule changes happen more early in a "new" sport :)

I certainly put LeBron in that group too ... and near the top.

Heck, one of the people I thought of was Stacey Augmon ... not at the top of the list, but he was an incredible athlete.

FlashBolt
01-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Early stages ... basketball was 68 years old before he joined the NBA, but sure rule changes happen more early in a "new" sport :)

I certainly put LeBron in that group too ... and near the top.

Heck, one of the people I thought of was Stacey Augmon ... not at the top of the list, but he was an incredible athlete.

No need to get technical lol.. you know what I mean.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Well yeah, but that's like comparing Bron's handles to Kyrie's from a size difference perspective. I just mean that Wilt was bigger/stronger/faster and could jump higher plus had more endurance. He also had incredible touch/dexterity for his size. Truly the most incredible athlete I've seen in any sport.

For some that want a refresher on the guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvdsi6gLl8

oh trust me, we agree. Wilt is in his own class imo. I am sure some of the stories have grown (big fish thing), but Arnold said when they would work out while filming Conan, Wilt just embarrassed everyone in the gym. His speed and jumping ability, and pure strength, are all on film. I remember watching him just pick up a dude who weighed 280 lbs like he was a baby and tossing him.

LeBron deserves some mention. He is Karl Malone with guard skills, that is freakish. But I am not sure the world has ever seen an athlete like Wilt. Nor will it probably. He was a freak of nature. Like a science experiment haha

tredigs
01-12-2016, 03:53 PM
oh trust me, we agree. Wilt is in his own class imo. I am sure some of the stories have grown (big fish thing), but Arnold said when they would work out while filming Conan, Wilt just embarrassed everyone in the gym. His speed and jumping ability, and pure strength, are all on film. I remember watching him just pick up a dude who weighed 280 lbs like he was a baby and tossing him.

LeBron deserves some mention. He is Karl Malone with guard skills, that is freakish. But I am not sure the world has ever seen an athlete like Wilt. Nor will it probably. He was a freak of nature. Like a science experiment haha
Yeah, it's the sort of thing you almost have to rate based on size, because there are such different abilities/limitations based on your build. MJ can do things athletically that Bron could not, namely the fluidity of his athleticism, but he did not possess Bron's sheer force. I'd probably rank it like this:

Point: Westbrook
Smaller wing: Jordan
Larger wing: Lebron
Center: Wilt

valade16
01-12-2016, 05:05 PM

I'm not arguing Vince was a better athlete than Jordan, I was specifically refuting the idea that Jordan did everything Vince did but better. Vince was doing dunks nobody had ever seen before.

I don't know if Vince is the undisputed best Dunker ever (Dr. J and Nique have arguments), but his dunking was definitely in the elite of the elite.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 05:08 PM
I'm not arguing Vince was a better athlete than Jordan, I was specifically refuting the idea that Jordan did everything Vince did but better. Vince was doing dunks nobody had ever seen before.

I don't know if Vince is the undisputed best Dunker ever (Dr. J and Nique have arguments), but his dunking was definitely in the elite of the elite.

Vince was the best dunker in history because he combined the near artistry of Jordan (Jordan's dunks were just so pretty), with the power on Nique. Sure he probably couldn't do the dunk from the free throw line like MJ, but his pure ferocity when it came to dunking, along with his ability to make it look flashy, is equaled by nobody.

valade16
01-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Also, for what it's worth, I've been looking for official or verified NBA Combine Verticals and none list MJ's 48" as official or the record. The record is actually 46".

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Also, for what it's worth, I've been looking for official or verified NBA Combine Verticals and none list MJ's 48" as official or the record. The record is actually 46".

I had a poster on my wall as a kid 89-94' that said, "42 inch vertical leap". So whatever, the dude could jump haha

valade16
01-12-2016, 05:18 PM
I had a poster on my wall as a kid 89-94' that said, "42 inch vertical leap". So whatever, the dude could jump haha

Yeah lol at a certain point it's all gravy.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Yeah lol at a certain point it's all gravy.

like, what is the difference between a 10 inch dong, and a 12 incher? It's all gonna tear her up anyways

QueensG718
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Porzingis is an athletic freak. He's 7'3 and has the game of a small forward. He can put it on the floor from stepbacks to fadeaways and is a great shot blocker and 3pt shooter. I know he's a rookie but I've never seen a player of that stature with that kind of game.

Vampirate
01-12-2016, 06:14 PM
The closest thing to Wilt imo was Shaq when he just entered the league.

IKnowHoops
01-12-2016, 07:55 PM
like, what is the difference between a 10 inch dong, and a 12 incher? It's all gonna tear her up anyways

Actually there is a pretty big difference. I have a 10 inch dong, and 12 is just stupid and useless. Mine is useable and it brings the females to there limits. 10 just allows pure joy for them without having to put in mad work. Just being present is enough. 12 just won't work. There is a big diff between 10 and 8. And 8 and 6. And 6 and 4. The difference is there, and its just as big a difference for each example.

IKnowHoops
01-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Good list. But Wilt has to be #1. Chamberlain ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, shot-putted 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years, could bench press 500 pounds, and averaged 45.8 mpg for his career. His most unbreakable NBA record imo is averaging 48.5 mpg for a season. He played every minute of every game including overtime. That's an athletic freak.

This isn't that impressive. 10.9 in 100 yards...I ran a 10.9 in 100 meters as a high school senior. I was running a hand held 4.52 40 at the time. I got my 40 down to a 4.36 hand held. Which probably got me down around a 10.6 100 meter. Now 100 meters is like 110 yards, so I could get to prob a 10.4 100 yard. I have no doubt that Lebron was faster than me, being that he was the fastest player in the NBA at one point. Bron probably was running a 10.3 100 meter. Which would be a 9.9 100 yard. Looking strictly at film, Wilt doesn't look as athletic as Lebron. Not as explosive, not as fast, just taller. He's a great athlete but not the athlete that Bron is. I have zero doubts about this.

ewing
01-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Based on your unsername, i don't believe a word you say

nandovelez
01-13-2016, 08:16 AM
48.5 minutes a game is all that's needed to prove he's the best athlete ever. Ask shaq or lebron to play a full game for the whole season it won't happen. Phil Jackson always thought that's the most impressive record in sports. Combine that with how high he jumped how fast he was and how strong he was he's in a class of his own. Talking wilt of course

Miltstar
01-13-2016, 09:32 AM
can't believe that people are forgetting about the big O, Oliver Miller! Yao Ming is a close second

Scoots
01-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Yeah lol at a certain point it's all gravity.

Fixed it :)

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 02:20 AM
48.5 minutes a game is all that's needed to prove he's the best athlete ever. Ask shaq or lebron to play a full game for the whole season it won't happen. Phil Jackson always thought that's the most impressive record in sports. Combine that with how high he jumped how fast he was and how strong he was he's in a class of his own. Talking wilt of course

Well, that's just wrong/stupid. Playing high amount of minutes doesn't directly correlate being an elite athlete. It wasn't uncommon for players to play 40 minutes per game that time and if you were Wilt -- competition just lacked to the point where you didn't have to exert the same amount of energy that players today have to. Look at proof; athletes are always getting better and science proves that. NBA players today are playing less minutes than ever and even Draymond Green who plays 34 MPG has to sit games to stay "healthy." The game today, Wilt would never play 48.5 MPG if he wanted a long career. It's getting to the norm that 36 MPG might be considered too much.

FlashBolt
01-14-2016, 02:21 AM
can't believe that people are forgetting about the big O, Oliver Miller! Yao Ming is a close second

Yao wasn't athletic. He was tall and skilled but athleticism was not part of his game.

ewing
01-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Yao wasn't athletic. He was tall and skilled but athleticism was not part of his game.

What about Stanley Roberts?