PDA

View Full Version : Nets fire Billy King and Lionel Hollins

leprechaun5
01-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Nets say they have fired coach Lionel Hollins & reassigned GM Billy King. Asst. coach Tony Brown is interim head coach for rest of season.

Gander13SM
01-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Looks like they're tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding.

Expected them to trade Jack this year but with the injury and all...

SportsFanatic13
01-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Probably going to buyout Joe Johnson as well. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

leprechaun5
01-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Looks like they're tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding.

Expected them to trade Jack this year but with the injury and all...

They are probably in the worst position in history of sports right now.

ball4reel
01-10-2016, 01:10 PM
They are going to buy out JJ next

BoSox47
01-10-2016, 01:15 PM
For Brooklyn's sake they better hope that Brook Lopez doesnt get injured, could be giving the celtics a really high pick. Especially after the Jarrett Jack injury.

GunFactor187
01-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Gonna be extremely tough to rebuild given the lack of draft picks they have. I give them probably 5 seasons in order to make even a whisper in the league.

LOb0
01-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the 3 years of unprotected draft picks. Not sure what the point of firing Lionel Hollins was. Does it really matter who coaches this team? I mean you fire him but still have to pay him.

archdevil84
01-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the 3 years of unprotected draft picks. Not sure what the point of firing Lionel Hollins was. Does it really matter who coaches this team? I mean you fire him but still have to pay him.

my thought exactly. its not like the nets are gonna have a more significant impact on the league with a different coach at this moment

lamzoka
01-10-2016, 01:48 PM
It's about time. Billy King should've been gone a long time ago. Worst GM in the NBA.

nycericanguy
01-10-2016, 01:51 PM
I have no idea how King held that job so long.

Firing Hollins tho does seem pointless. No coach is going to win with that roster. And what is that like the 6th coach in the last 5 years now? At some point it just gets kind of silly and is just change for the sake of change. Now there will be yet another offense and defense for the players to learn.

it's crazy a few years ago the Nets had a TON of picks, some good young players and a ton of cap space coming up and a new arena. It all went to **** real quick!

WaDe03
01-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Which comes next, a Joe Johnson buyout it Brook Lopez trade?

WaDe03
01-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Which comes next, a Joe Johnson buyout or Brook Lopez trade?

GiantsSwaGG
01-10-2016, 02:25 PM
DoMeFavors?

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2016, 02:38 PM
They are probably in the worst position in history of sports right now.

I dunno.... I see them in the playoffs before Philly. I mean, Philly has had how many straight years of high picks and they are STILL on pace to be one of the worst teams historically this year? And it doesn't sound like any of the young players care much to stay around that culture.

They play in a big market, and will have cap space. LOTS of cap space. Money talks loudly in the NBA.

And they have some nice pieces. Lopez is signed to a reasonable contract and is playing well, and has a high trade value, or high enough to get a high pick if they wanted. Thad Young has turned into a solid rebounder and might he a good trade piece, or a least a good player to lean on while they are rebuilding. Bo-Bo is an interesting young player with some potential, and apparently has other teams interested.

If they are smart, they may be able to get Joe Johnson out in a trade for a team that wants cap relief and might get a good player back in a fire sale, or at the very least will have his contract coming off the books.

Thomas Robinson is rebounding well and shooting his highest percentage in a limited role, but may be able to step up into the potential he had coming in. Willie Reed also looks like he's got some game and can rebound, so it will be interesting to see what he can do with more minutes.

The point guard spot is an issue. Shane Larkin is likely too small, and Donald Sloan, though a decent back up, isn't a starter.

It sucks that they don't have a point guard, yes, or a pick, but they will have cap space, and can make trades for draft picks with some of the players they have.

That said... that Plumblee trade was a joke. WTF?

King screwed them over with the Boston deal. 3 firsts AND the right to swap in 2017? I realize he was swinging for the fences, and the loss of those picks will make it hard to get better, but free agency and good scouting can help them in the mean time, and they can hand over some current players for picks on those drafts and to clear up cap space.

They are ins an AWFUL, AWFUL spot, but a team with a bad GM and picks, is worse off than a team with a good GM and no picks. As demonstrated by New York in the past, and Philly right now.

nycericanguy
01-10-2016, 02:41 PM
^ Just about EVERY team will have cap space this summer when the cap goes up...lol

"big markets" mean nothing today in the NBA... but even so, why would a free agent choose BK over other big markets? 6 coaches in 5 years and no picks and arguably the worst run team in the league. And if they really wanted to play in NY, then the Knicks are a much better proposition.

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Firing Hollins? No sure this makes sense. They got to pay him anyways, and this team is not getting better with a different coach.

Might as well have let him go at the end of the season.

Firing King? Yeah... he made a number of awful trades. The Joe Johnson trade... he coincidently has the pick he traded in that (Larkin was picked with that), but still, horrid trade. The PP/Garnett trade? Woeful. Essentially four FR picks gone (Boston has the right to swap next year and gets this year's pick and 2018's pick). Then dumps Plumblee for nothing?

He needed to go for BK to move on.

They need new vision in there for the trade season and to prepare for free agency.

IndyRealist
01-10-2016, 03:26 PM
It's about time.

I do like some of their young guys: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Thomas Robinson, Shane Larkin....Donald Sloan is a good backup and Thaddeus Young is a good utility guy, if overpaid. There's no reason to move Joe Johnson now unless he wants to cut them a deal so he can play for a contender, he's off the books this summer. If they move Brook Lopez (hopefully for picks) all of the sudden they're young, fast, and WAY under the cap.

Priority #1 is rim protecting big who can run the floor, which they may have to draft (with whatever they get for Lopez) and develop. If they wanted to play REALLY small with Robinson at C, Willie Reed is an athletic shot blocker and rebounder, but more of a 6'9" Serge Ibaka than a Dikembe. #2 and #3 are to bring in outside shooters who aren't statues on defense. Larkin and Sloan are speedy slashers and outside shooters (40% from 3 each), having someone who can cover them defensively would allow you to keep them on the floor where they can score and set the tempo for you.

They could throw money at Nic Batum, Nikola Mirotic, Danilo Gallinari, Brandon Rush, CJ Miles, Tyreke Evans, etc. and still stay young and athletic. I'd avoid the temptation to swing for the fences with a huge name player, that's what got them into this mess in the first place.

TheMightyHumph
01-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Hollins had to go. His horrible coaching cost the Nets at least two victories, mininum.

Hope we hire Thibs.

Shammyguy3
01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Hire Thibs then trade Joe Johnson for Derrick Rose (insert pray emoticon). Then the Bulls trade a big for a wing, sign Conley in the off-season, and let our young bigs become main cogs

TheMightyHumph
01-10-2016, 06:40 PM
I'm hoping Nets buyout Joe J at a savings of three million off the cap, waive Karasev and Bargnani. bring up some young D-League talent (and sign them to a team-option for next season) and skip the overpriced Free Agent market this off-season.

More-Than-Most
01-10-2016, 06:41 PM
waaaaaaay to late... Billy king did what he does.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Why buyout Joe Johnson? They don't own their pick. They have to win. If any thing take on worst contracts with assets tossed in as sweeteners. Joe is big expiring contract for a team that wants to chase big free agents. Gonna toss out a crazy trade. But what about JJ to Knicks for Lopez and Calderon? Didn't check contracts but must be close. Calderon is a walking corpse. Lopez be paired up with his bro. Not sure how it works out. Unless twin towers?

Trying to think of other bad contracts around the league. Maybe something where they eat Pek from Wolves and get maybe Martin tossed in or rerouted else where for some other end of bench unused rookie? Guess Wolves probably rather use stretch on Pek then give up anything though.

TheMightyHumph
01-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Robin makes too much to be a backup Center.

As I said, if they can save three mill on a Joe J buyout, Nets can make some minor moves while avoiding the repeater's tax.

FriedTofuz
01-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Hope the Nets buy our Joe Johnson so he can go to the raptors, we need some bench scoring.

IndyRealist
01-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Hope the Nets buy our Joe Johnson so he can go to the raptors, we need some bench scoring.

You don't think he's going to the Cavs if he gets bought out?

TheMightyHumph
01-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Absolutely, Joe is still a scoring machine, although he tends to stop offensive movement of the ball, and can't guard anyone. Those attributes had Hollins playing the old guy 35 mpg.

I'm just hoping Joe will settle for a little less money on his buyout.

Wade n Fade
01-10-2016, 10:07 PM
I hope Joe Johnson goes to Toronto as well. They need him to replace the Lou Williams 6th man role for sure. If he goes to Cleveland, he will just suffer "ring chaser" drama.

TheMightyHumph
01-10-2016, 10:26 PM
I think it should be obvious Joe doesn't care about drama.

And I have seen no indications that Joe cares about winning a Title.

I figure that if Joe is bought out, he'll sign with the team that offers him the most money.

Again, as always, I could be totally wrong.

IndyRealist
01-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I think it should be obvious Joe doesn't care about drama.

And I have seen no indications that Joe cares about winning a Title.

I figure that if Joe is bought out, he'll sign with the team that offers him the most money.

Again, as always, I could be totally wrong.

When a player is bought out, if he is signed by another team I think whatever they pay him is subtracted from what he gets from the original team.

IDunknown
01-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Why buyout Joe Johnson? They don't own their pick. They have to win. If any thing take on worst contracts with assets tossed in as sweeteners. Joe is big expiring contract for a team that wants to chase big free agents. Gonna toss out a crazy trade. But what about JJ to Knicks for Lopez and Calderon? Didn't check contracts but must be close. Calderon is a walking corpse. Lopez be paired up with his bro. Not sure how it works out. Unless twin towers?

Trying to think of other bad contracts around the league. Maybe something where they eat Pek from Wolves and get maybe Martin tossed in or rerouted else where for some other end of bench unused rookie? Guess Wolves probably rather use stretch on Pek then give up anything though.

Robin Lopez has been very good lately,and Jose isn't that bad.

TheMightyHumph
01-11-2016, 01:07 AM
When a player is bought out, if he is signed by another team I think whatever they pay him is subtracted from what he gets from the original team.

The buyout procedure allows for that rule not having to be enforced.

WaDe03
01-11-2016, 01:08 AM
Joe has no interest in a buyout they say. I guess he knows he couldn't help a contender anymore anyways. It's sad he was one of my favorite players but now he's terrible.

JJ_JKidd
01-11-2016, 01:35 AM
Wonder what JKidd will say abt this LMAO

IBleedPurple
01-11-2016, 05:00 AM
Such a damn mess, King ruined that team and they are screwed for a while. 11 first round picks traded, 5 year wait for full control of their own 1st rd pick.

Here is the best sign of the ineptitude for this team: Billy King will advise the team on their next GM. So not only does he still have a job somehow, he'll be helping find his replacement :facepalm:

TheMightyHumph
01-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Only fitting. Nets let Rod Thorn pick his replacement (Billy King).

NJDrew2
01-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Firing Hollins? No sure this makes sense. They got to pay him anyways, and this team is not getting better with a different coach.

Might as well have let him go at the end of the season.

Firing King? Yeah... he made a number of awful trades. The Joe Johnson trade... he coincidently has the pick he traded in that (Larkin was picked with that), but still, horrid trade. The PP/Garnett trade? Woeful. Essentially four FR picks gone (Boston has the right to swap next year and gets this year's pick and 2018's pick). Then dumps Plumblee for nothing?

He needed to go for BK to move on.

They need new vision in there for the trade season and to prepare for free agency.

Plumlee was traded with the second rounder in this past draft for Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, one of the few nice pieces on the team. Plumlee would never have as much value as RHJ as long as Lopez is still there. The frontourt isn't bad with Lopez and Young and potentially RHJ and Chris McCullough. But the backcourt is a mess. That's what you get for banking on Deron Williams.