PDA

View Full Version : Will the single-game 3-point record be broken this season, and if so by whom?

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2016, 11:09 AM
The most 3-pointers in a single game is 12, which was achieved by both Donyell Marshall and Kobe Bryant.

Marshall, at the time, was pretty much a long-range bomber and took about 5 3ptrs a game. Kobe has usually been a respectable 3pt shooter, but never a dominant one (by which I mean never shot over .400 from beyond the arc), though he did than as many as 6.5 per game one year, and often took over 4 or 5 a game.

Today, though, we have players taking more 3's and shooting at a higher percentage, meaning that when an anomalous games comes along, that record will be destroyed.

Marshall shot .400 and took 4 three's a game. An anomalous game saw him hit 12.
Kobe shot .347 and took 6 shots a game, and an anomalous game saw him hit 12.

Not though, we have Curry shooting a MUCH higher percentage than either of them (.448) AND taking more than double the shots of Marshall in an AVERAGE game (over 10 3ptrs a game).

Klay Thompson takes almost 8 3ptrs a game and hits a .435.

Draymond Green takes about as many such shots as Marshall took, but hit them at .430.

We also have guys like Paul George, who shoots nearly .400 and takes almost 8 3ptrs a game as well.

More ridiculous is last season Kyle Korver too 6 a game and almost shot at .500!

It seems the record of 12 3ptrs in a game is going to get not only broken, but smashed sometime in the near future, and that whatever mark eclipses it will also likely be topped or matched soon there after.

The question is, who will come away with it?

Who you got?

LOb0
01-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Not sure if will will be this season but Klay or Curry will break it at some point. I have a feeling Klay will in one of those games where he's super hot like that 36 in a quarter.

effen5
01-10-2016, 11:19 AM
It's going to be done by some random from the bench

Gander13SM
01-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Klay almost had it earlier in the year. Made 10 or something. Then he got injured.

I reckon it will either be a splash brother or a complete scrub off the bench. Sort of like when T.Ross and Mo hit 50.

Cal827
01-10-2016, 12:48 PM
So help us god if it ends up being Josh Smith :

Scoots
01-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Lol.

It could be jr smith.

Klay went 9 for 9 in a quarter on 3s ... The problem is they get up on opponents and leave the game.

FraziersKnicks
01-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Steph, Klay or JR.

JR holds the record for most games with 10+ three's in a game with 3. He gets ridiculously hot sometimes.

xbrackattackx
01-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Since all the obvious answers have been taken, I'll throw three dark horses.

1.Durant
2.Lillard
3.Ryan Anderson

Bruno
01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
This is one of those records thats just waiting to be broken. but tough to say if this is the year.

Thing is, if Curry, Lillard or Durant have already accumulated 33 points worth of 3's (plus all their other buckets from inside the line) you'd almost guess that the game got blown open as well, and the odds of that guy staying in the game and breaking the record are low.

For that reason, Id agree that a guy like JR Smith makes more sense- although as a Cav- scratch that. Same logic applies as he's on an elite team. If JR drops 30+ from 3 it probably means the game is over.

Devin Booker might not be the guy who is the first to surpass 12 cause he's a pup, but he's going to do it eventually. I think the answer is a brilliant shooter on a bad team. OKC should have traded up for him. everyone should have.

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2016, 09:01 PM

1.Durant
2.Lillard
3.Ryan Anderson

Interesting picks! I like that. Thanks for expanding the list.

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2016, 09:03 PM

Shooting .127 from the arc for the next season and tells the coach: "But last year I hit 13 in one game. I'm the best 3-point shooter ever!"

lol

KnicksorBust
01-10-2016, 09:20 PM

1.Durant
2.Lillard
3.Ryan Anderson

Nice! My contribution will be:

#1) Harden
#2) Love
#3) Parsons

kobe4thewinbang
01-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Ray Allen had 8 or 9 and one shot his toe was barely on the line. I could see it happening in an overtime or multiple overtime game. Obviously Curry is most likely or Klay but Westbrook was crazy last ASG and maybe Irving could pull it off.

Wade n Fade
01-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Damian Lillard.