PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix The Clippers?

LOb0
01-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Team is 4th best in the West and is only getting older. Trade? New coach?

Personally I would shop Deandre around and see if anything is available, what they're doing isn't working. Also how long do you keep this team together? Paul is 30 with a ton of miles. When would you consider looking towards the future?

BuckWilliams
01-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Easy, First their jerseys are so bad and generic. looks like a video game default jersey. very boxy with no character at all. Same with the court. They're so bad they have hurt the teams play a lot.

They're old jerseys were really bad too. with the *** tag and all. everyteam with that underachieves, "jazz, nuggets, t, wolves, thunder, clippers, pacers, etc etc.'

Change the jerseys and court to something good that an actual artist drew with a pencil and paper and is the winner I choose of a contest.

Then I would trade everyone. I would shop Chris Paul first. Because I think you could get the most for him. Also I really don't need a high priced PG to run the Triangle or a back cut offense. I would trade him for wing athletes and draft picks.

Then I'd trade deandre for someone.

I'd maybe keep Griffin but I'd play him at the SF for a half a year and then reevaluate with the new team, I'd probably end up trading him too though.

the only problem is that there aren't many good players in the NBA anymore. If this was the 90's there was always 200 great players on the block or that could be signed. Now maybe about 10.

warfelg
01-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Trade Blake to the Sixers for Okafor and LAL pick :D

In reality:
CP3 just isn't a winning PG. Fine someone else. Not to mention the remainder of the roster is a mess. Unload JJ. Fina a D-n-3 SF. Maybe CP3+JJ for Conley, Jeff Green, and a pick. Involve a 3rd team if you must. Cut the rotation to 8 guys getting most the time and a 9th and 10th with injuries.

Scoots
01-09-2016, 06:26 PM
The roster is 2nd or 3rd on the list ... And interestingly 1st and 2nd are the same person. 1st is get a gm. Then let that gm decide on who is the coach. Then you start to do something with the roster.

BuckWilliams
01-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Trade CP3 for DeRozan.

Gander13SM
01-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Play Blake at SF?! Lmfao. Change their jerseys? Casual fans crack me up.

Issue with the Clippers is three fold;

1. Doc is a good coach. He's a terrible GM. They need to put basketball operations back into the hands of someone more competent.

2. Too much crazy. Between Lance and Smoove alone (never mind the others) they have too many wild personalities. Look at the teams that have found recent success, San Antonio, Golden State, Miami, these teams had tough, even borderline dirty players but they didn't have anyone who was clinically insane. Having one crazy guy is something but having an entire bench of them? It's stupid. They need to make some serious changes to their bench.

3. Some of this falls under #2. Smoove playing Center, is an issue they need to fix. Their defense is shocking at times. You can't have a deep playoff run when you're THAT bad defensively. In general they're not THAT bad but they have stretches where they're just absolutely terrible. If they could find a way to get into the top 8-10 defensively while maintaining a top 5 offense, it would go a long way to helping them.

Their window is closing. CP3 is entering his 30s. With a little luck he has another 4 years of being a top 5 PG. But with the Spurs already establishing their new stars Leonard/Aldridge, the Warriors young core who already have a title under their belt and the star power of OKC. That 4 year window is narrowing. Fast.

kdspurman
01-09-2016, 06:40 PM
They've won like 7 in a row now..

Backup PG is an issue, and GM Doc. But they remain a dangerous team even as they stand

Redrum187
01-09-2016, 06:42 PM

In reality:
CP3 just isn't a winning PG. Fine someone else. Not to mention the remainder of the roster is a mess. Unload JJ. Fina a D-n-3 SF. Maybe CP3+JJ for Conley, Jeff Green, and a pick. Involve a 3rd team if you must. Cut the rotation to 8 guys getting most the time and a 9th and 10th with injuries.

Jesus Christ... lol

CP3 >> Conley
JJ > Green

Don't get me wrong, I love Conley. He is an excellent floor pacer with elite defense at the PG position who can hit the 3... but um, so can CP3. I actually dislike Green quite a bit though. He isn't an elite defensive player nor is he capable of consistently shooting from 3. He just isn't a good player. JJ Redick is a killer. A really underrated player.

LOb0
01-09-2016, 06:58 PM
They've won like 7 in a row now..

Backup PG is an issue, and GM Doc. But they remain a dangerous team even as they stand

Dangerous as in going to get murdered in round 2?

LOb0
01-09-2016, 07:02 PM

In reality:

lol talk about a terrible trade. Even 2 first round picks and I wouldn't do that if I was the Clips.

warfelg
01-09-2016, 07:05 PM
lol talk about a terrible trade. Even 2 first round picks and I wouldn't do that if I was the Clips.

Ok it's bad. But the Clips should move on from CP3, and get better on wing D. There's issues with that if you ask me. When I do see them it looks like their defense relies too much on DJ in the post.

IndyRealist
01-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Can you force Doc to trade/cut Austin Rivers? Because it doesn't matter how you change the roster if Austin is still going to get minutes.

Bostonjorge
01-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Simple have them fall to the 6th seed or get the 3rd seed in the playoffs. That gives them the easiest road to the western finals.

Bruno
01-09-2016, 07:17 PM
DJ, Wesley Johnson, Afflalo to Charlotte.
Kaminsky, Batum, RoLo, and Lin to LAC
Al Jefferson, Lance, to NYK

Charlotte gets the max level elite player that they probably will never be able to sign in free agency. They get a legitimate center w/ Kemba and all they really have to give up is Kaminsky and expiring contracts (even if it is Jefferson and Batum). They also get Johnson and Smith to help fill in their rotations after such a big trade.

The Clippers lose DJ, Lance and Smith, but they get back Kaminsky (potentially quality stretch C next to Blake and CP3), Batum to solve their massive SF problem, Robin Lopez as a serviceable big to start next to Blake until Kaminsky comes of age, and Lin as a backup to Chris Paul.

The Knicks lose Afflalo and Robin Lopez, but they bring in Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson for a playoff run. Relatively low risk, high reward type situation for the Knicks as they position themselves for the playoffs.

if youre the Clippers, you probably can't trade DeAndre... you just don't do it. But if they had to, go get a stretch 5 with potential and a SF like Nic Batum, who I think would do wonders for the Clippers.

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Team is 4th best in the West and is only getting older. Trade? New coach?

Personally I would shop Deandre around and see if anything is available, what they're doing isn't working. Also how long do you keep this team together? Paul is 30 with a ton of miles. When would you consider looking towards the future?Shop DeAndre? After what they went through to keep him? Not happening. Griffin is the future, CP3 will play for a long time doing well. As always, they need a quality starting SF. And defense increase instead of streetball.

IndyRealist
01-09-2016, 07:23 PM
DJ, Wesley Johnson, Afflalo to Charlotte.
Kaminsky, Batum, RoLo, and Lin to LAC
Al Jefferson, Lance, to NYK

Charlotte gets the max level elite player that they probably will never be able to sign in free agency. They get a legitimate center w/ Kemba and all they really have to give up is Kaminsky and expiring contracts (even if it is Jefferson and Batum). They also get Johnson and Smith to help fill in their rotations after such a big trade.

The Clippers lose DJ, Lance and Smith, but they get back Kaminsky (potentially quality stretch C next to Blake and CP3), Batum to solve their massive SF problem, Robin Lopez as a serviceable big to start next to Blake until Kaminsky comes of age, and Lin as a backup to Chris Paul.

The Knicks lose Afflalo and Robin Lopez, but they bring in Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson for a playoff run. Relatively low risk, high reward type situation for the Knicks as they position themselves for the playoffs.

if youre the Clippers, you probably can't trade DeAndre... you just don't do it. But if they had to, go get a stretch 5 with potential and a SF like Nic Batum, who I think would do wonders for the Clippers.

I was thinking more Chris Paul + a player for Kemba and Batum. That opens up minutes for the cheaper Jeremy Lamb, and gives them a marquee name. LA plugs the SF hole and gets a good PG even if he is a downgrade. I don't think it's possible to break up Jordan and Griffin considering how good of friends they are, without trading them both.

Bruno
01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
I was thinking more Chris Paul + a player for Kemba and Batum. That opens up minutes for the cheaper Jeremy Lamb, and gives them a marquee name. LA plugs the SF hole and gets a good PG even if he is a downgrade. I don't think it's possible to break up Jordan and Griffin considering how good of friends they are, without trading them both.

Afflalo and Lopez for Jefferson and Lance? keep in mind Jefferson is an expiring and this trade would open up cap space this summer for the Knicks. without a deal, they're stuck with Lopez and Afflfalo for a few more seasons. I think with the emergence of Kris, they might be able to do a lot better in this years FA than last years. and if Jefferson can get back into form it's kind of interesting for the Knicks.

i really like your idea too. if you're MJ you probably have to take a stab at a player like Chris Paul, even though he's probably too old to build around from scratch at this point.

i don't know, DeAndre walked away on his own power.

LOb0
01-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Shop DeAndre? After what they went through to keep him? Not happening. Griffin is the future, CP3 will play for a long time doing well. As always, they need a quality starting SF. And defense increase instead of streetball.

Don't understand why, the whole reason you went nuts to retain him is because you're losing an asset for nothing. You can now trade said asset. They should try to get a SF and a bench guy and play small ball.

flea
01-09-2016, 07:55 PM
I don't really know that they need "fixing" so much as lineup stability and players knowing their roles. Usually you want to go 10-deep in the regular season to save your players' legs but I think going 8 deep for major minutes and mixing lineups would help them integrate their new parts for the playoffs, when that's all you're going to play.

But if they were going to move guys, I wouldn't trade any of their 4 best starters. Anyone else I'd say is on the table if it seems right - but what are they going to get? They could try for Aminu who is a rich man's version of Mbah a Moute, but why would Portland trade him? Mbah a Moute, for all his drawbacks, is the sort of big forward you want to pair with a guy like Blake. Guards masquerading as forwards (like Lance) won't cut it in big minutes with an undersized PF like Blake.

Lakers + Giants
01-09-2016, 07:57 PM
If anything I'd trade Blake before I trade Deandre. You can get a lot more for Blake and I think they're better with a duo of DJ and CP.

Chronz
01-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Theyve actually figured **** out abit now, they have 1 more move to make but Im not sure Doc has the balls. Ill explain in abit

Lakers + Giants
01-09-2016, 08:43 PM
I was gonna suggest Blake for KD.

Blake goes home and Clips take a risk with Durant cuz hes a FA after the year but does it even make sense? Just a suggestion. Maybe a stupid one?

goingfor28
01-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Make Doc relinquish GM duties.
Start Wes Johnson at the 3
Play Prigioni as the primary backup behind Paul
Play Aldrich more as DJs backup bc Smoove is not a backup 5
Trade Jamals inefficient chucking ***
They have the pieces to make a run right now imo, just need to utilize everyone properly and stop whining after every single call/noncall

ewing
01-09-2016, 11:39 PM
i don't think they are broke. They just aren't quite good enough IMO. Still dangerous. I think they need something to fall into there lap to be a real contender.

JAZZNC
01-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Trade Chris Paul for everything you can get. Then get an actual GM and start to work on getting rid of stupid guys that just don't help you win (Smith, Lance). Draft well and build around Blake. He is that kind of special and I just don't see Chris Paul making him better, I almost feel like he hinders a lot of things Blake can do because Paul has the ball a lot.

Arch Stanton
01-10-2016, 02:36 AM
Trade Chris Paul for everything you can get. Then get an actual GM and start to work on getting rid of stupid guys that just don't help you win (Smith, Lance). Draft well and build around Blake. He is that kind of special and I just don't see Chris Paul making him better, I almost feel like he hinders a lot of things Blake can do because Paul has the ball a lot.

I wouldn't trade Chris Paul, but I do agree that they need to release Doc of his GM duties. A little roster tweak will fix them.

DboneG
01-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Hire a top psychologist for Blake Griffin so he can have a break out playoff season...When are we going to hear about Blake playoff performances like Magic, Bird, Jordan, Isaiah Thomas...I'M WAITING! I think it's all in his head.

Hire another psychologist for DeAndre Jordan free throw shooting problems. It's all in his head.

Fire the coach...giving his son minutes over players that's better and ruling with an iron fist. He's doing a bad job at managing players minutes and rotation. It's gotten better, because they got on a winning streak.

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2016, 06:30 PM
All they really need to do is get rid of Austin.

Tell Doc that he has a conflict of interest, cut Austin, and let the team move forward.

If Doc can't handle that, then a new coach is in order.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-10-2016, 06:43 PM
I was gonna suggest Blake for KD.

Blake goes home and Clips take a risk with Durant cuz hes a FA after the year but does it even make sense? Just a suggestion. Maybe a stupid one?

Thunder laugh and hang up. Yeah if Durant said he's leaving no matter what then yeah guess it's better then nothing. But I think Durant stays. He'll be a one team guy most likely.

5ass
01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Trade pick(s) for Robert Covington.

Scoots
01-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Start tanking and gathering "assets" for an inevitable come back and total dominance in 6-8 years. :)

LOb0
01-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Start tanking and gathering "assets" for an inevitable come back and total dominance in 6-8 years. :)

Would be a waste of Blake, unless you're suggesting trading him which is insane.

KingPosey
01-11-2016, 01:52 PM
apparently all you had to do to fix them was lose their second best player and one of the premiere front court guys in the league lol.

Hopefully when Blake gets back the team ends up better for learning how to play without him.

foonaka
01-11-2016, 02:41 PM
I would do something like Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder from Boston for Chris Paul and whatever else they can throw in the package in terms of players, draft picks/3rd team, etc. Taking David Lee's contract would help, too. Perhaps Paul, Crawford, Josh Smith, and picks/third team for Thomas, Lee, and Crowder.

Not sure how keen Boston would be to do that, but my point is trading Paul now while he still has value for some new blood and a SF would help get them back on track.

Another option, if BOS won't give up Crowder, would be to involve the Suns and get PJ Tucker at the SF. Good defense with 3-point range. The Suns could dump Morris in the process, take on David Lee's contract and have more cap space next summer when Lee comes off the books.

hey whats up
01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
if the went small in the second half,when they play the warriors in the second half I bet they beat the warriors in a upset in six,!:oldguy:

COOLbeans
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Chris Paul to Charlotte for Batum and Kemba make sense out of the different scenarios so far.

JJ_JKidd
01-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Why fix something that aint broken?.................... After all Clippers have been called contenders for what 5 years now? After all, everybody is happy and content being called contender nowadays.

Ty22Mitchell
01-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Why fix something that aint broken?.................... After all Clippers have been called contenders for what 5 years now? After all, everybody is happy and content being called contender nowadays.

If I'm a business guy, I absolutely agree with you. That team is very marketable and will continue to be for awhile. However, if I want to win a championship, there's no way I'd keep that team together.

JJ_JKidd
01-11-2016, 11:34 PM
If I'm a business guy, I absolutely agree with you. That team is very marketable and will continue to be for awhile. However, if I want to win a championship, there's no way I'd keep that team together.

So you saying the current Clippers core of CP3-Blake-DeAndre wont win a Chip? Why?

LOb0
01-12-2016, 12:16 AM
So you saying the current Clippers core of CP3-Blake-DeAndre wont win a Chip? Why?

They're not good enough?

Ty22Mitchell
01-12-2016, 07:49 AM

From what I can see, it's the same story every year. They win 50 games then fail to make it to even the conference finals. Their main roster pieces for the most part peaked talent wise two years ago, so they're shuffling around pieces that aren't going to work. Nothing they've done this year has demonstrated thus far that they can beat the top 3 seats (assuming OKC is still 3 as I'm writing this).
No disrespect to Blake, Doc, or Chris; they're all amazing, but it hasn't worked. They've shown in 3 straight years they can't do it. All I'm saying is if I were the man in charge, and money wasn't something to be concerned with, I'd make a bold move. Something to shake things up. Maybe it works, maybe not.

OlivaThor
01-12-2016, 09:41 AM
CP3 and Deandre for Conley, Allen, Gasol

DboneG
01-12-2016, 12:41 PM
To be honest...this Clippers team is fine. They need to be healthy come playoff time. And go from there. If they don't make the Finals or win the Finals...break them up and fire the coach. Doc Rivers has a rotation problem right now, he's giving his son Austin minutes over players that's better... Wesley Johnson and Lance Stephenson. They have ALL the tools! Everything you need to win right now. Being healthy playoff time is what I would focus on.

Blake Griffin needs to have a break out playoff series BIG TIME!! I'm waiting for his 50pt. 25 rebound, game winning shot, big plays performance. It just hasn't happen. That's why in my book, Blake is NOT an elite player. Until he has this break out playoff performance, the Clippers will always be this team that struggle alone.

DeAndre Jordan needs to make his free throws!!! What? 65-75% at lease. 41% won't cut it!!
This is very important.

Jamal Crawford can't have a horrible playoff series like last year.

Chris Paul will be there...maybe he needs to not hog the ball as much. Take over games as needed. Blake is the young thoroughbred...let him run!

LOb0
01-12-2016, 02:43 PM
To be honest...this Clippers team is fine. They need to be healthy come playoff time. And go from there. If they don't make the Finals or win the Finals...break them up and fire the coach. Doc Rivers has a rotation problem right now, he's giving his son Austin minutes over players that's better... Wesley Johnson and Lance Stephenson. They have ALL the tools! Everything you need to win right now. Being healthy playoff time is what I would focus on.

Blake Griffin needs to have a break out playoff series BIG TIME!! I'm waiting for his 50pt. 25 rebound, game winning shot, big plays performance. It just hasn't happen. That's why in my book, Blake is NOT an elite player. Until he has this break out playoff performance, the Clippers will always be this team that struggle alone.

DeAndre Jordan needs to make his free throws!!! What? 65-75% at lease. 41% won't cut it!!
This is very important.

Jamal Crawford can't have a horrible playoff series like last year.

Chris Paul will be there...maybe he needs to not hog the ball as much. Take over games as needed. Blake is the young thoroughbred...let him run!

So they're not fine

DboneG
01-12-2016, 07:57 PM
So they're not fine

The Clippers are fine...you can roll with this team into the playoffs and take your chances. This team can play with anybody. Just be healthy come June.

I don't agree with everything Doc Rivers is doing right now, but, Doc has been there before.

Blake is the key! This guy Blake Griffin has to have a Magic, Bird, MJ, Isiah Thomas, Hakeem type of playoff series...one people will not forget! If he does, the Clippers may win it all. In order for Blake to be considered among the elite players like LeBron, KD, and such, he has to make his name in the playoffs. Dunking on people and winning dunk competitions won't do it.

DeAndre Jordan free throw shooting is a problem, but, you can always take him out of the game if it becomes an issue. If he's missing too many free throws at key moments, or they are doing the Hack-a-DeAndre. They have Cole Aldrich, who can plug a few minutes. Go small with Josh Smith in the middle. even though he's a 60% free throw shooter. I'll take my chances with Josh if I had to.

Jamal Crawford will not have two bad playoff series. He has a lot riding on it. Contract year UFA 2016, his legacy/name... he's a pro! He know he had a bad series last year. He can't wait to redeem himself. So, I'll ride or die with Jamal!

JJ_JKidd
01-13-2016, 03:06 AM
From what I can see, it's the same story every year. They win 50 games then fail to make it to even the conference finals. Their main roster pieces for the most part peaked talent wise two years ago, so they're shuffling around pieces that aren't going to work. Nothing they've done this year has demonstrated thus far that they can beat the top 3 seats (assuming OKC is still 3 as I'm writing this).
No disrespect to Blake, Doc, or Chris; they're all amazing, but it hasn't worked. They've shown in 3 straight years they can't do it. All I'm saying is if I were the man in charge, and money wasn't something to be concerned with, I'd make a bold move. Something to shake things up. Maybe it works, maybe not.

lol then why are still they called contenders then?

Ty22Mitchell
01-13-2016, 07:02 AM
lol then why are still they called contenders then?

Everyone else is free to call them contenders. I was just explaining my viewpoint.
Sidenote: An opinion held by one person doesn't suddenly become validated when and if someone else agrees.