PDA

View Full Version : Do most of us agree that many of the published heights of players in the media

BuckWilliams
01-09-2016, 03:05 PM
They would try to say that John Starks was 6'5, but he said in interviews he's actually more like 6'2.

Like for instance they used to say that Steve Nash was 6'3 but in interviews he'd say he was 6'1.

Also I remember basketball cards saying that Stockton was 6'1 but to me looked more like 6'0 most seasons especially in his early years
Then players like Robert Pack they would try and say was 6'2, but was really just 5'11 as a young player that may have got over up to 6'1 in his late years.

And it can go either way sometimes.

Durant they sometimes on the net try to say he's 6'9 or whatever he was at age 18, but he kept growing and got way bigger and is now about 6'11.
Same with Westbrook. He was like 6'2 when he was 19, but now he's about 6'4.

Can any of you think of some other heights listed in the media that just don't look right?

dhopisthename
01-09-2016, 03:10 PM
well the published heights were usually with shoes which adds 1-3 inches. Plus with most modern players they are measured at the combine so you know how tall they are with and without shoes.

BuckWilliams
01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
well the published heights were usually with shoes which adds 1-3 inches. Plus with most modern players they are measured at the combine so you know how tall they are with and without shoes.

Why would shoes add 2 or 3 inches? You don't think that the players are pretty much just able to tell the media whatever or that the media just gets a hold of poor information?

Also why would a "combine" which many players don't even go to know the heights of every single player to ever play in the NBA? Also that's being very trustworthy to just take someones word for something. Also many players grow throughout their career.

Also I'm wondering how many here played at a high level and understand the game or still play at a high level and can look at players and tell how tall they are.

Gander13SM
01-09-2016, 03:21 PM
I've never understood why they measure a players height without shoes. Are teams really worried about America placing a ban on footwear in sports? Under what situation would their height without shoes be important for basketball? Lol

Hawkeye15
01-09-2016, 03:46 PM
players heights tend to be listed higher generally. I have seen Wiggins up close and he is a legit 6'8". KG is listed at 6'11", and he is easily taller.

But I know Love is listed at 6'10", and I have stood next to him. He is maybe 6'8" at best. Iverson was probably 5'10".

It happens

IndyRealist
01-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Why would shoes add 2 or 3 inches? You don't think that the players are pretty much just able to tell the media whatever or that the media just gets a hold of poor information?

Also why would a "combine" which many players don't even go to know the heights of every single player to ever play in the NBA? Also that's being very trustworthy to just take someones word for something. Also many players grow throughout their career.

Also I'm wondering how many here played at a high level and understand the game or still play at a high level and can look at players and tell how tall they are.

Shoes are at least an inch thick at the heel for basketball shoes, and if it's 1.25", and the guy is 6'8.25" he can probably round up to 6'10", meaning his shoes technically added 1.75".

These players are measured at the combine, at skills camps, at AAU events, pre-draft workouts, etc. multiple times throughout their pre-NBA careers. The only way they end up skipping on these is if they are foreign players or just simply come out of nowhere, and I can't think of a single current NBA player that wasn't scouted somewhere. Most of your non-lottery players end up going to the combine, because they are trying to impress someone into picking them. And if they aren't drafted and go the D-league route to get into the NBA, they're measured there. At this point most measurements are probably accurate.

There are current players who numbers are fudged, with Kevin Durant being a notorious example. He's 7'0" but does not want to be called 7' because of the negative connotations associated with it. Another is Jae Crowder, who is listed at 6'6" but was measured at a skills camp (Nike I believe) at 6'4" with shoes. Problematic for a guy who played PF in college. That may or may not be a clerical error, since he's measured 6'6" everywhere else.

You can see if guys have combine measurements at DraftExpress.

IndyRealist
01-09-2016, 04:08 PM
I've never understood why they measure a players height without shoes. Are teams really worried about America placing a ban on footwear in sports? Under what situation would their height without shoes be important for basketball? Lol
Because measurement without shoes is a "truer" measurement, because the sole of a shoe, and the heel specifically, can vary in thickness. In shoe measurements are really only still taken because it's traditional.

Chronz
01-09-2016, 04:23 PM
This started happening more frequently in the modern era (80's+) when we were really trying to get the science down with draft prospects. Tho there have always been guys who wanted to downplay their height as to not seem like goons, KG didn't want to be known as a 7ft'er so he was dubbed 6"12 back then, Bill Russel didn't want to be known as 6"10 (he was 6"9 3/4 without shoes btw) for the same reason. In today's NBA he would be listed at 6"11 ala Dwight (6"9) Howard.

BuckWilliams
01-09-2016, 04:27 PM
players heights tend to be listed higher generally. I have seen Wiggins up close and he is a legit 6'8". KG is listed at 6'11", and he is easily taller.

But I know Love is listed at 6'10", and I have stood next to him. He is maybe 6'8" at best. Iverson was probably 5'10".

It happens

Yeah, and I think Iverson when he started college was about 5'10. I do think though that he got to about 6 feet by his 30's. Some of his dunks are pretty good. He looked as though he would just float. He got many dunks in college and in the NBA.

But KJ and Pack have to be near the top for dunkers that were 5'11-6'0. KJ dunked on Olajuwon in a playoff game and he's barely 6'0 and he did it off two legs and he stuck his whole arm down the rim and over Olajuwon. His feet must have been 38-40 inches off the ground. That's a lot for a game and late in the 4th quarter. So smooth.