PDA

View Full Version : Victor Oladipo

Redrum187
01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Would you say he is in a good situation coming off the bench for the Magic? Of course winning games trumps coming off the bench, but do you see Oladipo as a premiere 6th man of the year player for his career? If not, what do you think his potential is if he played on a different team as a starter again? Would it be in both Orlando's and Oladipo's best interest to trade?

Bruno
01-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Skiles should be coaching a team that is ready to win now. he's prioritizing their competitiveness over developing their best talent in a healthy way, even if it results in a few more losses now. Oladipo has had this much of his season squandered because his coach doesn't understand how to use him effectively within the line up that Orlando management has allotted him (tough task with the lack of shooting). As a result the guy has been seriously and wrongly marginalized as a developing basketball player. I'm sure the rest of his season will be stronger than what he's done so far, but if I'm Victor Oladipo I have to seriously considering walking after my rookie deal. Coach doesn't give him starters minutes, and his management has selected best talent over best fit. I'd try to move onto a situation where my teammates cater to my strengths, where management won't log jam what I do with their lottery selections.

I hope Orlando can figure it out, or make that one essential trade to make all the pieces fit. they have a cool young core. if they don't fix this with a trade, Oladipo will get frustrated and walk. seems like a long time away from now but its not.

Redrum187
01-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Skiles should be coaching a team that is ready to win now. he's prioritizing their competitiveness over developing their best talent in a healthy way, even if it results in a few more losses now. Oladipo has had this much of his season squandered because his coach doesn't understand how to use him effectively within the line up that Orlando management has allotted him (tough task with the lack of shooting). As a result the guy has been seriously and wrongly marginalized as a developing basketball player. I'm sure the rest of his season will be stronger than what he's done so far, but if I'm Victor Oladipo I have to seriously considering walking after my rookie deal. Coach doesn't give him starters minutes, and his management has selected best talent over best fit. I'd try to move onto a situation where my teammates cater to my strengths, where management won't log jam what I do with their lottery selections.

I hope Orlando can figure it out, or make that one essential trade to make all the pieces fit. they have a cool young core. if they don't fix this with a trade, Oladipo will get frustrated and walk. seems like a long time away from now but its not.

I have to agree with you. I'm a big Oladipo fan and believer. I love 2-way players. I truly hope, for Orlando's sake, that they can incorporate him so that he can get his starter minutes back as well as having individual and team success.

flea
01-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Still think they should trade him since Payton seems like the better of the two. I just don't think a backcourt with both will do much and is somewhat redundant, and I doubt he wants to be a 6th man for his career. He can't play PG, can't shoot very well, and is an up and down defender and solid but unremarkable slasher.

He'd be good for the Magic if they didn't already have Payton and a couple of frontcourt players who can score 18-22 on better efficiency than a mediocre slasher. I think he's destined for a Monta Ellis career even though he's got better size. Could be a good player for teams that want to run P&R as 90% of their offense.

phantasyyy
01-06-2016, 08:43 PM
He has had his pts/minutes/fg%/3p% all dropped. I mean he was coming off a pretty big improvement from year 1 to year 2 and was on the up and coming.

Imo managements decision to draft another wing player in hezonja, fourniers breakout season, and harris' huge contract extension there just wasn't enough minutes or ball to go around.

Especially with Payton and Dipo being unable to stretch the floor, and Payton pretty much a must play with the lack of pgs at the team.

Then again him running the second unit I think it is just the best way to utilize the talent at the moment even at the expense of development

SupremeNY.
01-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Knicks will gladly take him

5ass
01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
I disagree here. Oladipo is struggling to adjust to skiles' offense. he wants the ball in his hands but you also have Fournier and Payton who are effective when they handle the ball. We've also been running our offense through Vucevic. Skiles asked him to come off the bench so that he'll get the ball more often, but Skiles can't make him hit shots. Oladipo is struggling to shoot the ball. he's not as aggressive as he used to going to the rim. He's missing his shots there and from three, and those are the areas where most of his shots come from. He needs to start hitting open threes and making tough lay ups, and he will IMO. If he just becomes a consistent shooter he can start. Its not like our starting line up is going to remain the same forever, but the spacing Frye provides right now is so important. I also disagree he'll ask for a trade. He has repeatedly said he only cares about winning games, and we had the best record in the east after he went to the bench from Nov 25th till Jan 1st. He's a RFA in 2017 and the Magic will keep him if they choose to.

Chronz
01-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Never bought the hype of him being the next D-Wade but him getting hurt VS the Clips gave us that match. Hes explosive but seems inconsistent, I never bought the hype of him being the next DWade but hesnot progressing the way I would expect either. Hard to say whats best unless you feel hes never gonna be a bench cog player. Some guys view benching as a way to dominate inferior opponents (Manu/Harden), others view it as a chance to keep their chuckster ways (Waiters/BJ).

5ass
01-06-2016, 10:18 PM
I have to agree with you. I'm a big Oladipo fan and believer. I love 2-way players. I truly hope, for Orlando's sake, that they can incorporate him so that he can get his starter minutes back as well as having individual and team success.

He is getting starters minutes though. Harris leads our team in minutes at 32, oladipo 29, elf 29, vuc and Fournier 30.

5ass
01-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I feel he'll turn it around. He's not a horrible shooter, and he has shown over the past few years that he can finish at the rim at an average rate. I never believed he's the next d-wade, very very few Magic fans did. I still think he'll be as good as Bledsoe though.

Redrum187
01-06-2016, 10:24 PM
He is getting starters minutes though. Harris leads our team in minutes at 32, oladipo 29, elf 29, vuc and Fournier 30.

Fair point. I suppose all one technically needs is averaging 24 minutes and 1 second to be considered as having "starter minutes". I probably should have said the minutes he received last season when he had a really good sophomore year (35.7 instead of 28.8 minutes/game).

5ass
01-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Fair point. I suppose all one technically needs is averaging 24 minutes and 1 second to be considered as having "starter minutes". I probably should have said the minutes he received last season when he had a really good sophomore year (35.7 instead of 28.8 minutes/game).

It was under another coach last year, and he's definitely expending more energy on the defensive end this season. I don't want him averaging 36 mpg tbh. He fights over screens and takes it hard to the rim a lot. No need to tire him out, and increase his chances at getting injured. 36 mpg would put him top 10 in mpg this season. We have a lot of depth and we're using it.

JasonJohnHorn
01-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Oladipa, in the limited games I've seen him in (and I've only seen a handful), coupled with his stats, has come across as a guy who works hard, but simply isn't a very good shooter.

With a high volume of shots last season, he seemed to be on the path to a decent TS%. His 3pt shots was respectable, and he brought his percentage inside the arc up to 46%. Both are at a career low right now. Is that on Skiles? I don't know. Been busy this year and haven't watched too many games, and no Orlando games at all.

But it's hard to say a coach who is helping the team win more games is doing a bad job. Tobias is shooting as a higher percentage, and rebounding better, and is also getting more assists and less turnovers. Fournier is player as well or better than last year (things are pretty close for him across the board, but his assists are up a little, and his steals are up noticeably). Vucevic's minutes are down, but he is also getting more assists and less turnovers while slightly increasings his FG%, steals, and blocks.

I think part of the thing is that Oladipa seemed more comfortable as a point guard, and they are going with Payton there, and in fairness to 'developing' young players, Skiles is giving him more minutes and letting him develop his game.

If you seen an increase in ball movement around the team, and a slight increase in percentages and decrease in turnovers coupled wiht an increase in wins.... it's hard to point the finger at the coach because one guy isn't improving while the others all seem to be.

I'll gladly defer to you here as I'm sure you've watched the Magic more this season, but on paper I have a hard time putting this on Skiles.

5ass
01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Now averaging 32.6% from 3 for the season, after shooting 43% for the last 17 games. He's starting to heat up. Still in an inconsistent shooter.