PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated player in the NBA

ewing
01-06-2016, 12:45 AM
I'm voting al horford. That dude is a huge 6'10. i'm not sure i buy it.

Shammyguy3
01-06-2016, 01:44 AM
Dare I say.... Jimmy Butler :hide:

i can vote him as high as 7th right now honestly (DISCLAIMER: avid Bulls fan and Butler is my favorite player).

Putting my bias/fandom aside I'd say Horford is a good pick. Millsap as well from Atlanta. Gordon Hayward would be an underrated wing for me.

5ass
01-06-2016, 02:12 AM

i can vote him as high as 7th right now honestly (DISCLAIMER: avid Bulls fan and Butler is my favorite player).

Putting my bias/fandom aside I'd say Horford is a good pick. Millsap as well from Atlanta. Gordon Hayward would be an underrated wing for me.

4 great picks.

Gander13SM
01-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Horford might still be the most underrated at his position. Millsap still seems underrated.

But again it depends on your definition. If you come on here and ask people how good Horford or Millsap is they're likely to know. If you ask John Doe sports fan at your work or at a bar they probably won't.

So along casual fans it's Horford/Millsap.

Another guy that I STILL think is underrated is Draymond. There are people who still think he's not a top 10 player this year. They're fools. "He's a system player" makes me laugh. He IS the system for that Golden State team.

ManningToTyree
01-06-2016, 03:50 AM
Gordon hayward

HandsOnTheWheel
01-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Justice Winslow. Guy's the second coming of Kawhi Leonard.

Redrum187
01-06-2016, 09:36 AM
PG: Brandon Knight (a really good 2-way player)
SG: Kent Bazemore (almost replicating DeMarre's production last season for the Hawks, good 2-way player)
SF: CJ Miles (good 2-way player who is on a very friendly contract)
PF: Dirk Nowitzki (he wasn't even voted as a top 20 player this season yet leads the Mavericks to the 5th best record in the West)
C: Derrick Favors (a great post player, offensively efficient, really good 2-way player)

Redrum187
01-06-2016, 09:38 AM
You could probably throw in Reggie Jackson too. He is putting up top 10 PG stats this season for sure.

2-ONE-5
01-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Ish Smith

ewing
01-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Ish Smith

:) nice

celticsman2009
01-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Jae Crowder
Al Horford

Scoots
01-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I don't think a player who has been an all-star can be underrated ... and certainly not Horford who is a 3 time all-star.

Gordon Hayward is one of the best SFs in the NBA and I'd wager most fans when asked to list the top SFs he wouldn't make the top 10.

ewing
01-06-2016, 10:47 AM
I don't think a player who has been an all-star can be underrated ... and certainly not Horford who is a 3 time all-star.

Gordon Hayward is one of the best SFs in the NBA and I'd wager most fans when asked to list the top SFs he wouldn't make the top 10.

I agree with Hayward- big fan since college. Al is underrated though. Even in this thread people who are saying he is underrated are mentioning him with Milsap like that are on the same level. I think Milsap is a nice player but Al is clearly a better one IMO. I get blasted on this board for saying if i was going to start team i'd take Al over DC or Jordan and i do it without hesitation

GiantsSwaGG
01-06-2016, 11:25 AM
The Lakers

Chronz
01-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Justice Winslow. Guy's the second coming of Kawhi Leonard.
He better step his game up then

Tg11
01-06-2016, 12:47 PM
For me definitely Isaiah Thomas is underrated as well as Brandon Knight and also dare I say Jimmy Butler

mrblisterdundee
01-06-2016, 12:48 PM

Not Jimmy Butler; he's underrated (i.e. better than Klay Thompson), but not terribly so.
But in Atlanta's Spursian system, one can easily forget that Al Horford and Paul Milsap are one of the best front court duos in the league. Now if only Atlanta could get a third superstar.

Tg11
01-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Kyle Korver he's also underrated and definitely Al Jefferson

QueensG718
01-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Aaron afflalo

ManningToTyree
01-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Given that Isiah Thomas and Big Al play no defense I think they are appropriately rated.

Horoford is a good one too

Tg11
01-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Mr. Drummond aka Andre Drummond is another one or even Kemba Walker

Bostonjorge
01-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Tristan Thomson destroyed horford and millsap in the playoffs last year.

WaDe03
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM

He will. Give him some time he's only 19 and already an elite defender in the league.

Gander13SM
01-06-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Hayward and have been since he came into the league. He's one of my five favourite players.

BUT... although he's underrated by the masses. I think he's fine where most hoop heads rank him. Truth is I think this is his ceiling. I don't see him getting much better. Which is fine, but it is what it is.

Personally I think people underrate Nerlens Noel. All the attention Embiid is getting but he is still the best player on that team. He's really versatile.

Khris Middleton and Tobias Harris come to mind. Favors has come on a lot this year before he was injured.

Seizabmc
01-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Melo

MonroeFAN
01-06-2016, 02:19 PM

He will. Give him some time he's only 19 and already an elite defender in the league.

So give him time to become an MVP top 5 type of player? Wouldn't it make more sense to not make ridiculous predictions and allow your team to create their own path?

Basically none of your predictions from the off season are true, why is this one?

phantasyyy
01-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I agree with Hayward- big fan since college. Al is underrated though. Even in this thread people who are saying he is underrated are mentioning him with Milsap like that are on the same level. I think Milsap is a nice player but Al is clearly a better one IMO. I get blasted on this board for saying if i was going to start team i'd take Al over DC or Jordan and i do it without hesitation

I think a lot of people would take Al > Cousins and Jordan I think lol. He is a hell of a lot more coachable and has the skills and intangibles to build a roster around.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-06-2016, 02:59 PM

No doubt he has much on his game to work on. That said, many aspects of his game reminds me of Leonard. Very few players have that type of mentality at such a young age.

phantasyyy
01-06-2016, 03:01 PM
I'd go with Mike Conley, he's the engine that drives that Memphis team, and being in the western conference he will never get his due for an ASG slot.... with Curry Paul and Westbrook dominating the PG's slots.

WaDe03
01-06-2016, 03:07 PM
So give him time to become an MVP top 5 type of player? Wouldn't it make more sense to not make ridiculous predictions and allow your team to create their own path?

Basically none of your predictions from the off season are true, why is this one?

Yes just like it took Kawhi and Butler time to turn into the players they are and they came in the league older than Winslow. Those 2 players are very similar to Winslow in attitude maturity defense and all that. Maybe saying he will was wrong on my part because he might just turn out to be a Tony Allen or something but I'm pretty confident he will develop into a very good player. Can you tell me these predictions that are wrong?

KnicksorBust
01-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

ewing
01-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

Solid list i have always been a huge fan of Batum, Galinari, and Lillard

5ass
01-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Tobias Harris is a good one. Some people think he's only an ISO scorer who doesn't give any effort on defense.

I'm going to say Elfrid Payton. I think he's one of the best PGs in the east. He was averaging 14-8-5 per 36 min before he got injured last week, I expect that is what his per 36 #s will look like at the end of the season. His shooting is improving and he's still one of the better defenders at his position.

tredigs
01-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Hm. I'd say Millsap is clearly better on both ends, and as evidenced by posts like this he'd be my answer for big time NBA fans and casual fans alike.

MygirlhatesCod
01-06-2016, 04:49 PM
I really like will barton. his inconsistent minutes are not helping his development but his ability to attack the rim are legit. he has a lot of room to grow but I do believe he as the ability to make a true impact as a second option.

flea
01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Horford is the unheralded star of a good team so he's always a good answer, same with Conley and Middleton. The rest to me are the consummate in-prime pros who know their role and do it very well, but sometimes get dogged for not "doing more." These would be guys like George Hill, Afflalo, Deng, Gortat, Zaza, PJ Tucker.

I don't watch the Blazers much but I remember the hype for Meyers Leonard as an athletic 7 footer and now he shoots 3s. The Blazers suck and it's partially his fault but in terms of raw talent and skill he's flashed a lot. I don't really know what his deal is, is he going to be just another soft big man?

MonroeFAN
01-07-2016, 07:25 AM

Yes just like it took Kawhi and Butler time to turn into the players they are and they came in the league older than Winslow. Those 2 players are very similar to Winslow in attitude maturity defense and all that. Maybe saying he will was wrong on my part because he might just turn out to be a Tony Allen or something but I'm pretty confident he will develop into a very good player. Can you tell me these predictions that are wrong?

Well dragic > Jackson

whiteside > Drummond for starters.

While I agree whiteside has been impressive and I'm sure you'll reference that he got the better of the last match up, it really hasn't been close on either.

Also Stanley is winning games for his team, and was clearly better than Winslow in both match ups. Is he the next Lebron?

And then who could forget you suggesting that you "gave us" our last win against you, despite the fact that we absolutely blew you out in the first game.

You guys are either in the sun for too long, or just plain ignorant. You went from having the best player in the league to not having him. That's the end of the story.

MonroeFAN
01-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

This list is just goofy.

Batum was once considered the best 2 way wing in the league and had 1 bad season. The only people who gave up on him are the same losers who give up on everything.

Gallinari has had the most injury riddled career out of potentially any active starter in the NBA today.

Fournier was good for a month.

Lillard is an all star.

Gander13SM
01-07-2016, 08:17 AM
This list is just goofy.

Batum was once considered the best 2 way wing in the league and had 1 bad season. The only people who gave up on him are the same losers who give up on everything.

Gallinari has had the most injury riddled career out of potentially any active starter in the NBA today.

Lillard is an all star.

Fournier has had quite a few hot streaks this season. He's turning into a decent player but Skiles rotations are drawn up by a mad man. Nobody is safe on that squad.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

I really like will barton. his inconsistent minutes are not helping his development but his ability to attack the rim are legit. he has a lot of room to grow but I do believe he as the ability to make a true impact as a second option.

Gallo is now averaging around 18ppg-6rpg on only around 12.7FGA. I do not think many fans realize because he was out a long time with two knee injuries. The only reason I would not say he is underrated is because I have seen several other teams game planning (scouting) around stopping him. I saw the Spurs actively look to stop him and in many ways they did limit him with KL.

Will Barton has been very good. I think (I'm not sure) Portland traded Barton and a first round pick for Affalo last season. If that was the deal it worked out great for Denver. Barton is doing a lot of good things. Definite 6th man of the year candidate at this point in the season.

KnicksorBust
01-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

This list is just goofy.

Lillard is an all star.

Batum was the best 2 way wing in the league during which season?

And please link me to any posts in the NBA Forum discussing how well he has played this season. I will wait. :)

KnicksorBust
01-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

Didnt think anyone would like the Lillard call. Always thought he made POR go more than LMA.

ewing
01-08-2016, 12:32 AM
Didnt think anyone would like the Lillard call. Always thought he made POR go more than LMA.

i have a thread in here calling him the engine :)

ewing
01-08-2016, 12:33 AM
can we get a slapping my own back emoji?

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2016, 01:06 AM
Horford is a great pick. If he was in SAS instead of LMA, that team would be killer.

Millsap for that matter is also grossly underrated. He would have been a stud in the 90's.

Al Jefferson as well... can't believe that guy has never been an All-Star. Not so much this season, but in 13/14, I thought he was a legit MVP ballot choice.

Thad Young has been playing pretty well this season, on a losing team granted, but he's stepped up rebounding.

Jose Calderon is still underrated. Dude is shooting over .400 from down town, over .500 from inside the arc, and nearly .900 from the charity stripe, plus he's at nearly 4-1 assist/turnover ratio. He's not getting a huge role in NY, but his play is great, even if he isn't a stellar defender. Put him on Cleveland as Kyrie's back up... jeez....

George Hill also has a nice skill set. I've heard people complaining about him for years, but he's a great piece to have a team.

Mike Conley is always on this list to me. I love that guy. He's a great general. Kind of reminds me of Billups.

Kyle Anderson... I still think that kid is going to develop into a solid contributor.

Enes Kanter... that dude can rebound. KD and Westy get a lot of cred, and Ibaka, but Kanter is going to be a huge piece for them when the playoffs roll around.

David Lee.... that guy should be starting in this league still. It's embarrassing that Boston would pick him up and not use him.

ewing
01-08-2016, 01:15 AM
jeff withey

KnicksorBust
01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
If everyone says Horford and Millsap... are they really underrated? :laugh:

SteBO
01-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Batum was the best 2 way wing in the league during which season?

And please link me to any posts in the NBA Forum discussing how well he has played this season. I will wait. :)
For your own sanity, don't entertain him. Anybody who's watched the NBA knows that there isn't a single person here that's labeled Batum as one of the best 2-way wing players. Even now, the guy isn't talked about really. CHA scored big-time with that trade.

Perhaps I'm overreacting the Knicks-Heat game the other night, but perhaps 'Melo is a tad underrated now? To think he could change his game at this stage of his career is unfathomable. He's been selective with this shots and he's making good reads and as result has been pretty efficient. Haven't seen much talk on that front. Millsap and Horford are the obvious choices.

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Batum
Gallinari
Pachulia
Fournier
Lillard

Batu: +1

Pachulia: +1

I can't speak to Fournier, but I feel like Gallinari gets more credit than he deserves. Lillard, though, seems to get a lot of love. Hard to call him underrated. Though given that Portland isn't in single digit wins, it seems you might have a case there. I think most were expecting Portland to be a cellar dweller this year. They are certainly a lottery team, but they are competitive most nights.

Redrum187
01-08-2016, 05:47 PM
I was starting to lose faith in Nicolas Batum. He is playing very well this season though. I'm not sure why he sucked last season.

Redrum187
01-08-2016, 06:00 PM
There is one player I don't think anyone has mentioned yet... Brook Lopez.

The guy is scoring 19.9 ppg, 8.7 reb, 1.6 ast, 2.0 blocks, with mediocre efficiency (TS% .536). I think his TS% has dipped a few points as a result of Joe Johnson and the rest of the Nets being almost non-factors; He is the focal point of opposing team's defenses.

Is he playing like a top 5 Center this year?

tredigs
01-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Brook's definitely a good call. Those two seasons he got injured and sat the year just derailed his hype. Playing for an incompetent organization doesn't help his cause.

R. Johnson#3
01-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Draymond Green by far. Dude is starting to get recognition but just the fact that people say he's the 3rd best player on the Dubs is enough to call him underrated.

Redrum187
01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Draymond Green by far. Dude is starting to get recognition but just the fact that people say he's the 3rd best player on the Dubs is enough to call him underrated.

Naw. He is properly rated for the time being. I agree though, I'd take him over Klay.

BuckWilliams
01-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Grant for the Knicks. He's got a lot of potential and I watched him in college he knows how to play. Very athletic. I think if they get to the Playoffs we'll be seeing him.

warfelg
01-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Nerlens Noel based on what I've seen people around here say about him.

ewing
01-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Nerlens Noel based on what I've seen people around here say about him.

a saw the other week him an Okafor were playing in separate units are the 6ers going with that?

SLY WILLIAMS
01-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Batu: +1

Pachulia: +1

I can't speak to Fournier, but I feel like Gallinari gets more credit than he deserves. Lillard, though, seems to get a lot of love. Hard to call him underrated. Though given that Portland isn't in single digit wins, it seems you might have a case there. I think most were expecting Portland to be a cellar dweller this year. They are certainly a lottery team, but they are competitive most nights.

I'm curious why you think Gallo gets too much credit. He is averaging around 18.4ppg and 6 rebounds and almost 3 assists. He has a 19.5 PER and a 573TS%. He is rated 8th in the NBA in offensive rating right now and 10th in offensive win shares. He gets to the line (8th in the NBA). He defends. This is less than a year from coming off his third knee injury. I think he can raise his shooting percentages higher. I think he is a borderline all star at this point. How many SF do you think are better than him?

warfelg
01-09-2016, 01:36 PM
a saw the other week him an Okafor were playing in separate units are the 6ers going with that?

They've been playing together again. It's been working a little better now with Ish in the fold.