PDA

View Full Version : Byron Scott calls out Julius Randle for immaturity

spreadeagle
01-04-2016, 09:44 PM
In the 97-77 win over the Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott subbed Julius Randle out in the fourth quarter, which left the second-year forward frustrated.

In only 16 minutes, Randle finished with two points and 12 rebounds. While Randle continues to rebound well, Scott has been critical of his effort on the defensive end.

Before the Lakers take on the Golden State Warriors, Scott continued talking about Randle at Mondayís practice according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

"Julius Randle wasn't exactly a team player last night. "Bottom line is, like I told home before, you've gotta grow up," Byron said."

Byron on Randle: "The main thing I donít like is when you take him out of games, how he reacts sometimes." Byron called it "immaturity."

In response, Randle had the following to say about Scottís comments, via Bresnahan
Randle's response? "I donít think there was defense on the court at all in the 4th and [Scott] singled me out. I think it was a team thing."
http://www.lakersnation.com/byron-scotts-message-to-julius-randle-youve-gotta-grow-up/2016/01/04/

PurpleLynch
01-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Great. While I agree that Randle should work on his defense,Scott should shut the **** up since he's a mediocre coach,on both defense and offense. I call also immaturity not adapting to modern coaching methods&tactics and that's exactly what Scott is doing in his coaching career.

More-Than-Most
01-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Great. While I agree that Randle should work on his defense,Scott should shut the **** up since he's a mediocre coach,on both defense and offense. I call also immaturity not adapting to modern coaching methods&tactics and that's exactly what Scott is doing in his coaching career.

So being a mediocre coach means he shouldnt say anything when the player he takes out constantly acts like a child? I have more issues with why he takes him out but there is a difference from fire and childish antics and I watch the lakers a ton because I am a Russ fan and Randle does something like this every other game... I think Scott is a horrid coach but he is pretty spot on here.

RLundi
01-04-2016, 10:50 PM
I can't speak to this guy's maturity, though I'm sure he's some kind of childish since he's still a really young kid.

But I can speak to Scott's coaching: terrible. He's such a backwards guy, he's still coaching his team like they're playing in the early 2000s. It's embarrassing. The Lakers need to sever ties who this guy immediately. There isn't a revival coming. Scott needs to keep up with the times or do something else, preferably outside of basketball.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-04-2016, 11:29 PM
They are both wrong. Byron is benching one of his best players who hustles almost to a fault. Scptt sucks.
And Randle should save the looks and ask him why he is doing it inside the locker room.

G_S_W
01-05-2016, 03:02 AM
Byron Scott is the worst coach in the nba.

jerellh528
01-05-2016, 03:39 AM
I side with Byron on this one. If Randle is displaying a lack of defensive effort and immaturity, sit his butt on the pine. I do however, disagree with airing dirty laundry like this to the media, even if it it minor growing pains.
I wish randle's response was better, instead of pushing blame away and saying the whole team didn't play D. He should've owned it, and just said he'll up his defensive intensity next time and being a leader on the team, he knows how important it is for his defensive energy to feed the team or some crap like that.

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2016, 05:22 AM
**** scott. FO copout trying to brainwash the fans. Only reason he isnt hated like brown or D'antoni is because he's a former laker. It's a smart move by the lakers FO (to keep the fans quiet) but **** scott.

Randle also needs to stfu, doesn't matter who the coach is, he has to listen and stop being a ****in diva.

basketballkitty
01-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Scott can do what he wants with any player. But to publically announce it to the press, there by throwing his young player under the bus is NOT the actions of a truly good coach. Keep it in the Locker room. That is something Byron needs to learn.

IndyRealist
01-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Scott can do what he wants with any player. But to publically announce it to the press, there by throwing his young player under the bus is NOT the actions of a truly good coach. Keep it in the Locker room. That is something Byron needs to learn.
Phil Jackson was notorious for calling out players, using the media to manipulate them into doing what he wanted. He's arguably the greatest NBA coach of all time. Not saying Scott is anywhere near that class, but to say that good coaches don't call out players publicly is just wrong.

Tony_Starks
01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Byron Scott is the guy that comes to work dressed like casual Friday everyday because he knows he's about to get fired anyway.

Screw it, might as well be comfortable!

Hawkeye15
01-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Laker fans, question:

Is Scott basically just there to help the tank job this year to secure your pick? I see no strategic purpose for him.

PurpleLynch
01-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Laker fans, question:

Is Scott basically just there to help the tank job this year to secure your pick? I see no strategic purpose for him.

Imo that and also to keep Lakers fan quiet picking one of our piece of history of the '80. But that's not a right move.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Imo that and also to keep Lakers fan quiet picking one of our piece of history of the '80. But that's not a right move.

Him being part of showtime probably does give him some chain from the fan base

It's the same for my team in Mitchell. Both coaches are basically wasting an entire year of development in my opinion. For the Wolves, there is more to do with the culture in general, they have always been losers under their owner, but the Lakers, you would figure, would want to see more.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Byron Scott is the worst coach in the nba.

Fisher is worse dude

both ex-lakers :laugh2:

still1ballin
01-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Shouldn't have said that in public. Keep it in the locker room.

PurpleLynch
01-05-2016, 03:15 PM
So being a mediocre coach means he shouldnt say anything when the player he takes out constantly acts like a child? I have more issues with why he takes him out but there is a difference from fire and childish antics and I watch the lakers a ton because I am a Russ fan and Randle does something like this every other game... I think Scott is a horrid coach but he is pretty spot on here.

He should tell this to him,not to the media. They feast on these kind of things and for a rookie you should,as a coach,understand that calling him out in public it's not the right kind of pressure to make him play better.

PurpleLynch
01-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Him being part of showtime probably does give him some chain from the fan base

It's the same for my team in Mitchell. Both coaches are basically wasting an entire year of development in my opinion. For the Wolves, there is more to do with the culture in general, they have always been losers under their owner, but the Lakers, you would figure, would want to see more.

Absolutely true. At least competing in the brutal West with some mentoring(Kobe and Garnett) should teach something to our respective rookies. Plus,you've got the best pick from the draft overall.
And to adress your second point,Jerry Buss is dead and his seeds are just doing stupid things(Jeanie is just talk).

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Laker fans, question:

Scott hasnt been any better than Mike Brown or D'antoni but the fans aren't gonna be as cruel to him because he a former laker. FO knew that and did it intentionally because scott is ****in trash. Either of the 2 previous coaches could've led this tank. They just got scott to shut the fans up.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Scott hasnt been any better than Mike Brown or D'antoni but the fans aren't gonna be as cruel to him because he a former laker. FO knew that and did it intentionally because scott is ****in trash. Either of the 2 previous coaches could've led this tank. They just got scott to shut the fans up.

but that is sad, right?

I fear the death of Daddy Buss means some bad years ahead

Tony_Starks
01-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Laker fans, question:

It wasn't intended for tanking purposes but its turned into that.

He was actually brought in for legit coaching purposes. Before long it became completely obvious that he's basically tossed coaching out the window and is pretty much on a mission to make sure his man Kobe finishes out the victory lap exactly how he pleases....at the expense of our youth.

Vidball
01-05-2016, 08:52 PM
BScott was hired for the right reasons BUT he's not being fired as of yet because the chances of grabbing a top-tier coach are much higher after the NCAA and NBA season ends.

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2016, 08:56 PM
but that is sad, right?

I fear the death of Daddy Buss means some bad years ahead

Unfortunately, i agree.

blahblahyoutoo
01-05-2016, 09:12 PM

dantoni is far better than brown or scott. at the very least, the lakers would've been fun to watch.

G_S_W
01-05-2016, 09:59 PM
BScott was hired for the right reasons BUT he's not being fired as of yet because the chances of grabbing a top-tier coach are much higher after the NCAA and NBA season ends.

Wrong. The buss kids are incompetent. They have no idea what they are doing, and neither does scott.

Vidball
01-05-2016, 11:11 PM
What part is wrong? I agree the Buss kids are incompetent but do you really think Scott was hired to tank? He was hired to win - he was hired for the right reasons. He just is a terrible coach. He'll be fired but it won't be until all 82 games have been played.

G_S_W
01-06-2016, 06:04 AM
What part is wrong? I agree the Buss kids are incompetent but do you really think Scott was hired to tank? He was hired to win - he was hired for the right reasons. He just is a terrible coach. He'll be fired but it won't be until all 82 games have been played.

Scott was hired because of his relationship with Kobe and because he's a Lakers alum. Coddling Kobe (a repeated and glaring failure within the Lakers' organization) has been disastrous for player development and team morale.

But more importantly, Jimmy the Buffoon refused to hire Phil. Jimmy, dumb as a rock when it comes to basketball operations, was at least "bright" enough to recognize that Phil and Jeannie would likely clean house in a coup d'etat, throwing jimmy out on his ***.

Remember the part about jimmy not being too bright? Hard to forget you say? Well, he's already ushered his own sorry *** out of office. He gave himself "3 or 4 years" to save the team! Given how inept the entire family is that is an impossibility. I wonder what excuse he'll make in a year or two. Even if he leaves, he'll hire some puppet frontman who does exactly what he says, ensuring the demise of the Lakers once great franchise.

Lakers fans are f-----.

You can't really analyze the Lakers' moves logically. Trying to make sense of Jimmy's moves is like watching a monkey throw paint at a wall and calling it art.

JasonJohnHorn
01-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Not a fan or players, and ESPECIALLY coaches calling each other out in the media.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2016, 02:32 PM
In B Scotts defense even tho he is a horrible offensive coach and has little to no X and O value I actually like the approach he's taken with Russell and Randle. Now I do. When you look at their games they are still very raw. As opposed to Clarkson and Nance whose game and athleticism translate a little better right away.

Russell and Randle definitely have higher ceilings but they have a LOT of fundamental work to do before they can see it, and they aren't as athletic as Clarkson/Nance to compensate for it. I think his approach so far is appropriate....