PDA

View Full Version : All Time: Dwyane Wade vs. Oscar Robertson

HandsOnTheWheel
01-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Who had the better career if Wade retired tomorrow?

tredigs
01-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Pretty clearly Oscar. He'll crack the top 10 on a lot of lists, and I'm sure just about everyone outside of Miami or those who are super favorable to modern players (or players they did not watch while they're alive) would choose Big O. Accolade wise he was a bit overshadowed by the Russell Celtics dominance along with Wilt, but he was right there with Jerry West and Elgin Baylor, and many thought he was the best of them.

tredigs
01-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Who's the better prime player is a different discussion, but I'm going to find it hard for someone to argue that Wade had a better career/legacy than Oscar. That said, he's still got a little tread left on the tires, never know if another Finals MVP is in store for him.

PowerHouse
01-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Interesting comparison but the answer has to be Oscar.

I don't agree but KAJ has gone on record saying Oscar was better than Lebron or even Jordan.

Oscar had a super high basketball IQ and was very strong. The greatest rebounding PG ever, capable of boxing out guys 6 inches taller than him regularly.

Even though we have to face facts that Oscar's stats were more inflated due to pace of the game, he still easily ranks higher than Wade.

ewing
01-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Based on nickname and that picture of him doing a split in the air with the ball i'm going Big O

HandsOnTheWheel
01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Who's the better prime player is a different discussion, but I'm going to find it hard for someone to argue that Wade had a better career/legacy than Oscar. That said, he's still got a little tread left on the tires, never know if another Finals MVP is in store for him.

If he does win another chip w/ fmvp, can it be argued that Wade had the better career? How much weight do you put on championships when comparing careers?

kdspurman
01-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Moving this to the comparisons forum. Hopefully the discussion can continue :)

HandsOnTheWheel
01-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Interesting comparison but the answer has to be Oscar.

I don't agree but KAJ has gone on record saying Oscar was better than Lebron or even Jordan.

Oscar had a super high basketball IQ and was very strong. The greatest rebounding PG ever, capable of boxing out guys 6 inches taller than him regularly.

Even though we have to face facts that Oscar's stats were more inflated due to pace of the game, he still easily ranks higher than Wade.
Are you basing your opinion on praise/opinions of others, or accolades/awards attained over his career?

tredigs
01-04-2016, 05:27 PM
If he does win another chip w/ fmvp, can it be argued that Wade had the better career? How much weight do you put on championships when comparing careers?

No, not even then to be honest. Unless it was some legendary run by Wade and not an Andre Iguodala type FMVP. At that point I think you'd have to give the comparison some more thought.

PowerHouse
01-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Are you basing your opinion on praise/opinions of others, or accolades/awards attained over his career?

I base my opinion on everything. I realize Wade has a couple more rings but that has context that must be recognized. Wade was fortunate to play in an era not dominated by a mega-juggernaut dynasty like the 60s Celtics or the 90s Bulls.

CardinalRed24
02-13-2016, 04:13 PM
I like this comparison .

The numbers will point to Oscar Robertson, even so, Wade was truly special player during his prime when many called him "The Flash" (which for some reason he didn't like being called).
He has the postseason success + the rings. And that sure helps his case in this argument.

Its tough to say, i would have to see how Oscar would perform in today's NBA to really have a better indication.

NJBASEBALL22
02-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Oscar and it isn't even close... averaged 30/10.5/10.5 for first 5 seasons. averaged 30/8.5/10.5 for first 10 seasons.

Lead league in assists 7 times, whilst scoring 30 a game.

NJBASEBALL22
02-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Can't really blame Oscar's lack of rings on him, he averaged 30/9/9 in the postseason with Cincinnati.

Not that Wade isn't an all time great but Big O was better. Very similar style of games though... handle the ball, find the open bigs, great mid range J, and attacked the basketball like a motherf*****