PDA

View Full Version : LBJ on pace to finish the season 13th on the all-time scoring list

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2016, 10:28 PM
LBJ is on pace to finish the season with just over 26900 points, meaning he will pass Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan, John Havlicek, George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins, and Oscar Robertson.

Garnett, Pierce and Duncan are all still active, Duncan is still starting, and has not only been playing 6 more years than James, but has been playing at an All-Star level for pretty much every season.

How impressive is this that James will be that high on the all-time list at the age of 31 and will be passing all-time greats who have played nearly 20 seasons.

This is just mind boggling to me. Though James is not playing at as high a level as he has in the past, his career accomplishments continue to get more and more impressive each season.

IKnowHoops
01-02-2016, 07:45 AM
LBJ is on pace to finish the season with just over 26900 points, meaning he will pass Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan, John Havlicek, George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins, and Oscar Robertson.

Garnett, Pierce and Duncan are all still active, Duncan is still starting, and has not only been playing 6 more years than James, but has been playing at an All-Star level for pretty much every season.

How impressive is this that James will be that high on the all-time list at the age of 31 and will be passing all-time greats who have played nearly 20 seasons.

This is just mind boggling to me. Though James is not playing at as high a level as he has in the past, his career accomplishments continue to get more and more impressive each season.

I have often said and predicted, that Lebron will finish his career as the all-time leading scorer in NBA history. He is a machine that will be able to score for a long time. I always here the argument about how once he looses his athletic ability he will fall off. People that keep this argument fail to realize that his athletic ability will not drop like the average person. Being that he is so far ahead of everyone(still), I estimate he will have league average athletic ability by the age of about 40. His ridiculous god given body also stands up incredibly against injury like no other. KD and Curry at there peak are probably better scorers than Bron, but Bron is so much more of an athlete and because of that he doesn't need the skills to score these guys have, and his curve for how long he will be able to score at a high rate is just going to be a lot different. And its still debateable who is the best scorer out of all of them. Curry and Durant are definitely more skilled, and better all around at scoring no doubt. Same can be said about Hakeem over Shaq. Shaq was still harder to keep from scoring though because of his body. Shaq got fat and started getting hurt. Lebron works harder on his physical part of his game, so I don't think breaking down like Shaq is going to happen.

I think Lebron's career stats are what are going to secure him at the number 2 spot, and maybe even put him at #1. I'm not saying he is gonna be like Gretzky compared to the rest of the league, but something close to it.

SteBO
01-02-2016, 08:48 AM
What's more impressive about that isn't so much his age, but his style of play. LBJ isn't your typical scorer like Harden, 'Melo, etc. He's more of a playmaker that does it all on the floor on both ends. Considering that scoring isn't always his main focus, especially considering some of the teams' he's played with when healthy, I find this to be pretty impressive. Maybe that's just me though.....

KnicksorBust
01-02-2016, 09:38 AM

I have often said and predicted, that Lebron will finish his career as the all-time leading scorer in NBA history. He is a machine that will be able to score for a long time. I always here the argument about how once he looses his athletic ability he will fall off. People that keep this argument fail to realize that his athletic ability will not drop like the average person. Being that he is so far ahead of everyone(still), I estimate he will have league average athletic ability by the age of about 40. His ridiculous god given body also stands up incredibly against injury like no other. KD and Curry at there peak are probably better scorers than Bron, but Bron is so much more of an athlete and because of that he doesn't need the skills to score these guys have, and his curve for how long he will be able to score at a high rate is just going to be a lot different. And its still debateable who is the best scorer out of all of them. Curry and Durant are definitely more skilled, and better all around at scoring no doubt. Same can be said about Hakeem over Shaq. Shaq was still harder to keep from scoring though because of his body. Shaq got fat and started getting hurt. Lebron works harder on his physical part of his game, so I don't think breaking down like Shaq is going to happen.

I think Lebron's career stats are what are going to secure him at the number 2 spot, and maybe even put him at #1. I'm not saying he is gonna be like Gretzky compared to the rest of the league, but something close to it.

Take a look at Malone and KAJ. He could be top 5 easily but no way he gets to #1.

GodsSon
01-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Take a look at Malone and KAJ. He could be top 5 easily but no way he gets to #1.

LeBron is probably the greatest individual talent we've ever seen with the numbers to prove it.

Depending how many more titles he wins, he finishes as either 1 or 2.

tredigs
01-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Lebron's window to #1 is closed. He's literally the worst volume outside shooter in the NBA at this point. That's going to have to change if he wants to chase Kareem and Malone on the all time scoring list as he ages.

KnicksorBust
01-02-2016, 12:57 PM

LeBron is probably the greatest individual talent we've ever seen with the numbers to prove it.

Depending how many more titles he wins, he finishes as either 1 or 2.

Do you realize how far he is from Kareem? You know the thread is about all-time scoring right? From your post about titles I am not sure.

FraziersKnicks
01-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Lebron's window to #1 is closed. He's literally the worst volume outside shooter in the NBA at this point. That's going to have to change if he wants to chase Kareem and Malone on the all time scoring list as he ages.

Whilst I do agree his shot at #1 is closed or incredibly slim, he's still putting up 25 PPG on pretty much 50% shooting. It doesn't matter how he's doing it. I would rather he posted up a lot more and got easy buckets like he was doing in his last two seasons in Miami where he shot 57%.

I can see him averaging about 25 a game for the next 2 seasons then probably dropping to around 20-22 a game from age 34-36 to being a high teens scoring point forward towards the tail end of his career.

Allowing for some missed games as he gets older...

Another 46 games this season at 25 PPG: 1,150
2 more seasons at 25 PPG and 72 GP: 3,600
2 seasons at 20-22 PPG for 70 GP: 2,940
2 final seasons at 17-18 PPG for 65 games: 2,275

Current total: 25,657
Next 6 seasons: 9,965

Total: 35,622

Maybe I'm being generous on him averaging 25 PPG until he's 33 or being a 20 PPG scorer until he's 36 but there's nothing to say he won't be able to achieve those numbers. Even if his scoring dips below those predictions, as long as he stays healthy (of course a big IF, but he's probably got the cleanest injury track record of any 31 year old EVER), he's got #3 all time scorer locked. If he can average 18 PPG on 70 GP for the next 6 years, he'll be #3 all-time. He'll also easily surpass MJ as the leading playoff scorer of all time by next postseason.

#3 all time regular season scorer.
#1 all time playoff scorer.

Not bad for someone who's never had a reliable jumper, is a choker and only dunks!

Bron > Kobe
01-02-2016, 01:41 PM
I think LeBron will be number 1 by over 5000 points honestly. He's the greatest player to ever lace them up. I think he'll be top five in assists, rebounds, and points. Nothing like anyone on earth has ever seen

JasonJohnHorn
01-02-2016, 01:57 PM

He has more points than either of them had at the same age in their respective careers. If he plays as long and stays healthy, it is almost certain that he will eclipse them.

If LBJ plays until 40, like Kareem and Malone did, he will have to only average 17 points a game over the decade and play about 75 games a year to pass Kareem, which is a far lower average than either Kareem or Malone averaged in their last 10 years, so it's not unreasonable to suggest he might pass that number. That's not even that unrealistic considering he'll likely be averaging 25 a game for the next three seasons, which will make it easier to maintain a 17 ppg average over the last decade of his career.