PDA

View Full Version : Teams who could make noise in the off season

Tg11
12-30-2015, 11:19 AM
If anything since free agency is the highlight of every season before it even gets started, next year's free agency pool looks really promising so that being said I wonder which teams could you see making noise in the 2015-16 NBA off season?

JasonJohnHorn
12-30-2015, 08:11 PM
It's hard to say. With the cap going up so much, it's really more about who can't make noise. That Cavs, I believe, will be over the cap with their current salaries.

I'm not sure that there are any other teams so far over the cap right now.

What I find interesting is that a couple of contenders, including the Warriors, but also the Spurs, will have some cap space with the cap going up. I'm curious to see what they will do, though neither could bring in more than one All-star calibre player.

I believe the Heat will have a lot of space, and the Lakers will as well. If the Lakers secure another high pick, and have enough room to bring in two All-Star calibre players, they just may find themselves back in contention next season, and with the Bird rights to a few promising young players, they could end up in a great position. They'd need an upgrade at coach though. With Kobe gone, I think players might be more inclined to go to LA now.

I'm more interested to see which players make noise, rather than the teams. KD obviously. I think the Heat are angling to do what they pulled off a few years ago, but if they hope to keep Whiteside, they may have to forgo the current free-agent class.

Tg11
12-31-2015, 03:23 PM
But how about teams like the Thunder, Rockets, Bulls, Raptors, Celtics, Hawks, etc.?

jsthornton7
01-01-2016, 07:19 PM
It's hard to say. With the cap going up so much, it's really more about who can't make noise. That Cavs, I believe, will be over the cap with their current salaries.

I'm not sure that there are any other teams so far over the cap right now.

What I find interesting is that a couple of contenders, including the Warriors, but also the Spurs, will have some cap space with the cap going up. I'm curious to see what they will do, though neither could bring in more than one All-star calibre player.

I believe the Heat will have a lot of space, and the Lakers will as well. If the Lakers secure another high pick, and have enough room to bring in two All-Star calibre players, they just may find themselves back in contention next season, and with the Bird rights to a few promising young players, they could end up in a great position. They'd need an upgrade at coach though. With Kobe gone, I think players might be more inclined to go to LA now.

I'm more interested to see which players make noise, rather than the teams. KD obviously. I think the Heat are angling to do what they pulled off a few years ago, but if they hope to keep Whiteside, they may have to forgo the current free-agent class.

I can't imagine the Durant choosing the Heat, following Lebron and playing with Wade and Bosh too weird...

Dade County
01-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Big players in next year free agency to me...

Lakers:
They will try to land a top 3 pick. From there I can see them trading away young talent plus the pick to grab an All Star player; them from there they will go after a key free agent.

Knciks:
Knicks hit on KP, I feel that they trade Melo and go with a big youth movement.

HEAT:
I think Miami has some sort of back door deal that will happen just before the trade deadline.

And they will make a trade for a key player, and in return that player helps them land KD.

Side Note:
If KD leaves, then I feel that OKC will trade Westbrook to either the Lakers or Boston.

Dade County
01-01-2016, 07:43 PM
But how about teams like the Thunder, Rockets, Bulls, Raptors, Celtics, Hawks, etc.?

Thunder have to keep KD.

Who knows if any key free agent whats to play next to Harden.

Bulls never really do anything big in free agency.

I don't even no why you mentioned Raptors & Hawks.

Boston has trades to make, but not for the 1 player they need. I can't see a key free agent signing with Boston until they get a star player.

Shammyguy3
01-01-2016, 07:44 PM
hopefully the Bulls can find a taker for Rose and sign Conley in the off-season. If they can do that (highly unlikely), and then get someone like Batum, resign Noah to a decent short term deal... then roll with our young bigs I'd be happy with that

Conley/pick?
Butler/Snell
Batum/McDermott
Mirotic/?
Noah/Portis

I'm expecting Gasol to walk (thankfully) and Taj to be traded this deadline as well

5ass
01-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Like 25 teams will be active in FA. It'll come down to where players want to play and where they dont. I feel good about the magic's chances to land a very good FA. Depending on where they finish in the standings they can be a very attractive desitnation. Hell we almost got Milsap to sign on a 25 win team, and we're on pace to double those wins. Millsap said Hennigan made him a great pitch. Also historically the Magic dont have issues attracting star FAs.

warfelg
01-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Sixers will be super active and make noise more because they have to at this point.

tsubibo
01-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Spurs getting another All-star caliber next season is a little bit scary.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Bucks have $25M. Other teams probably have more to spend then us. Team needs probably PG. But that could be addressed in the draft if we get Dunn. If we don't land no one then we could at least be spoilers of war and drive up the prices of players like Delly and Clarkson. Or any other PG. Most likely end up sitting on our money and extend our own guys like Mayo or Bayless and not sure if we can give early extension to Giannis or MCW yet. Conley would be nice on the Bucks but I think he stays with Grizzlies. I would bet a lot of teams line up for Conley. He probably get max deal. Since you factor in Dragic landed a hefty raise from Heat last summer.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Sixers will be super active and make noise more because they have to at this point.

Yeah with triple towers and Saric coming over. 76ers Brinks truck would have to go to the back court of some free agents.

hugepatsfan
01-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Celtics will have cap space for 2 max deals. Draft wise, we have BRK's pick which should be at least top half of the lottery. Don't see DAL finishing in the top 7 so we'll have theirs too which should be late lottery IMO. We'll have our own which looks like it will be in the mid teens. We have guys like Marcus Smart and Kelly Olynyk who don't look like franchise guys or anything close but look to be good role players that could have value in trades with their youth. Then we have guys like James Young, RJ Hunter, Terry Rozier who haven't really proven themselves to even be effective role players but have enough talent that some team could want them in a trade (obviously not talking superstars unless it's as a throw-in). Lots of future picks as well. Young coach that has a lot of respect and a good market to play in should make them attractive to anyone who isn't concerned with playing in a cold-weather city. So BOS can be active on multiple fronts, both for big fish and for role players.

The good thing is Ainge seems to understand it's not worth blowing your load unless it makes sense. So despite all that flexibility, BOS could easily stand mostly pat and do pretty much nothing which makes sense for them if they can't get what they need.

Tg11
01-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Celtics will have cap space for 2 max deals. Draft wise, we have BRK's pick which should be at least top half of the lottery. Don't see DAL finishing in the top 7 so we'll have theirs too which should be late lottery IMO. We'll have our own which looks like it will be in the mid teens. We have guys like Marcus Smart and Kelly Olynyk who don't look like franchise guys or anything close but look to be good role players that could have value in trades with their youth. Then we have guys like James Young, RJ Hunter, Terry Rozier who haven't really proven themselves to even be effective role players but have enough talent that some team could want them in a trade (obviously not talking superstars unless it's as a throw-in). Lots of future picks as well. Young coach that has a lot of respect and a good market to play in should make them attractive to anyone who isn't concerned with playing in a cold-weather city. So BOS can be active on multiple fronts, both for big fish and for role players.

The good thing is Ainge seems to understand it's not worth blowing your load unless it makes sense. So despite all that flexibility, BOS could easily stand mostly pat and do pretty much nothing which makes sense for them if they can't get what they need.

Yes our Celtics we could be sellers but then we could be buyers too

5ass
01-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Yeah with triple towers and Saric coming over. 76ers Brinks truck would have to go to the back court of some free agents.

I doubt they land any significant FAs. Hinkie has damaged their reputation. They're going to have to overpay to attract a FA, and even then they'll struggle to sign someone because other teams will be overpaying as well.

BKLYNpigeon
01-04-2016, 03:37 PM
With the Salary Cap going up. theres about 25 teams with a Max Contract to offer.

whoever lands KD wins the offseason.