PDA

View Full Version : If the NBA were to ever expand to 32 teams

Tg11
12-30-2015, 10:46 AM
If the NBA were to ever expand to 32 teams and that is a very very very big if but let's just say for sake of argument if it happened which 2 cities could you see getting NBA teams?

Well the 2 cities I could see getting NBA teams before anyone else would be:

Seattle and St. Louis

But that's only expansion though but relocation I am all for

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Kansas City and St. Louis seem like good bets, with large metro areas, new arenas, sparkly new arenas and no other NBA teams nearby. Same with Pittsburgh, while Seattle has an NBA history and a new basketball arena in the works.
With the Warriors moving to San Francisco, I could also see San Jose getting an NBA team for the HP Pavillion. San Jose is the third-most populous city in California, and with 7.5 million in the Bay Area, there seems to be enough fans to share.
I also think an NBA team could make a good living returning to Vancouver, British Columbia. The third-most filmed-in city in the world is filthy rich, even compared to San Francisco, and has a metro area of 2.3 million.

JasonJohnHorn
12-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Seattle seems like a good bet. I'd like to see another team in Canada, but that is not likely.

I think Pittsburg would be interesting. It's the only sport they don't have a team for. St. Louis as well.

Blink
12-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Fountain, MI

IndyRealist
12-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Seattle and Las Vegas. Move Memphis or New Orleans east.

BKLYNpigeon
12-30-2015, 09:27 PM
This thread again?

Saddletramp
12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
This thread again? Let me go copy and paste from the last 4 times this year we've had this exact thread.

Seattle and Las Vegas. Move Memphis or New Orleans east.

I agree it will be Seattle and probably Vegas if it actually ever happens but map wise, it probably makes more sense to move Minnesota over since they're way closer to Chi/Mil than any other cities in the NBA. Makes no sense to not do it that way.

Boston
Knicks
Nets
Philly

Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando
Miami

Cleveland
Toronto
Detroit
Washington

Chicago
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Minnesota

---------------

Houston
San Antonio
Memphis
New Orleans

Dallas
OKC
Denver
Utah

Phoenix
Clippers
Lakers
Las Vegas

Portland
Seattle
Golden State
Sacramento

Not perfect in the least (especially with Washington and some of the West teams. It sucks breaking up the Texas teams and Dallas being paired with Utah isn't ideal travel wise in a division, but it's less worse than Minnesota and Utah. Somebody's going to get screwed).

(And no, I didn't copy/paste this)

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Montreal and Vancouver.

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2015, 11:35 PM
This thread again? Let me go copy and paste from the last 4 times this year we've had this exact thread.
I agree it will be Seattle and probably Vegas if it actually ever happens but map wise, it probably makes more sense to move Minnesota over since they're way closer to Chi/Mil than any other cities in the NBA. Makes no sense to not do it that way.

I don't buy Vegas. There's a reason it has never had a pro team. It's an artifical tourist trap in the middle of the desert. The entire metro area isn't even 2 million, and growth has plummeted as Americans' disposable income and gambling in Vegas dry up. Most of the potential fan base would be working their crappy, low-wage service sector jobs when the games are being played.
You need a real city for a professional sports franchise, not a dying spectacle.

Saddletramp
12-31-2015, 12:01 AM
I don't buy Vegas. There's a reason it has never had a pro team. It's an artifical tourist trap in the middle of the desert. The entire metro area isn't even 2 million, and growth has plummeted as Americans' disposable income and gambling in Vegas dry up. Most of the potential fan base would be working their crappy, low-wage service sector jobs when the games are being played.
You need a real city for a professional sports franchise, not a dying spectacle.

That's just one of the cities thrown around. If not there, I've also heard Lexington and Montreal. Those don't seem too appealing to me, though. With all the money in Vegas, they could make it work.

If Seattle doesn't get one, then maybe Vancouver would make sense again, but probably not. St. Louis? Cincinnati? San Diego? Pittsburgh?

Gander13SM
12-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Another Canadian team please.

Blink
12-31-2015, 08:33 AM
Fountain, MI

IndyRealist
12-31-2015, 08:50 AM
That's not why Vegas doesn't have a team. It's because of sports betting. David Stern said as much.

AllBall
12-31-2015, 10:41 AM
That's not why Vegas doesn't have a team. It's because of sports betting. David Stern said as much.

This is true, but Adam Silver has a much more relaxed stance on it. Part of the reason the Summer League is done in Vegas. I agree with having one in Seattle and Vegas.

kubernetes
12-31-2015, 01:06 PM
There will never be a pro sports franchise in Vegas. Owners are way too afraid of corruption coming out of a Vegas franchise.

Tg11
12-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Seattle would be the best bet and why? Because not only does Seattle have a new state of the art arena but also Seattle itself has a rich NBA history because of the Supersonics being there for so long until they had to relocate but even so Seattle they did and still do have a huge fanbase

Seattle I would put them in the Western Conference

As for the other team that would make up the 32nd team for the NBA who I would put in the Eastern Conference I would suggest St. Louis and why?

St. Louis is not only a sports city because of the fact that they have an NFL team The Rams and an NHL team The Blues but imagine if they have an NBA team to complete the cycle? But also St. Louis has a basketball history too in the sense of the Atlanta Hawks playing there before they relocated to Atlanta they were in St. Louis and not to mention they had an ABA team before the NBA became what it is today

But if not St. Louis then I would suggest Buffalo, New York

Buffalo having an NBA team would make sense think about it because Buffalo not only has a basketball history because of the Clippers playing there before they moved to LA but also because Buffalo has an NHL team the Sabres but also an NFL team the Bills just proving that Buffalo is a major sports city who could support an NBA team

Not to mention Buffalo would fit well with the Eastern Conference but also because 3 New York teams would actually work especially having Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks adding a team in Buffalo would only increase New Yorkers' love for basketball

IndyRealist
01-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Seattle would be the best bet and why? Because not only does Seattle have a new state of the art arena but also Seattle itself has a rich NBA history because of the Supersonics being there for so long until they had to relocate but even so Seattle they did and still do have a huge fanbase

Seattle I would put them in the Western Conference

As for the other team that would make up the 32nd team for the NBA who I would put in the Eastern Conference I would suggest St. Louis and why?

St. Louis is not only a sports city because of the fact that they have an NFL team The Rams and an NHL team The Blues but imagine if they have an NBA team to complete the cycle? But also St. Louis has a basketball history too in the sense of the Atlanta Hawks playing there before they relocated to Atlanta they were in St. Louis and not to mention they had an ABA team before the NBA became what it is today

But if not St. Louis then I would suggest Buffalo, New York

Buffalo having an NBA team would make sense think about it because Buffalo not only has a basketball history because of the Clippers playing there before they moved to LA but also because Buffalo has an NHL team the Sabres but also an NFL team the Bills just proving that Buffalo is a major sports city who could support an NBA team

Not to mention Buffalo would fit well with the Eastern Conference but also because 3 New York teams would actually work especially having Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks adding a team in Buffalo would only increase New Yorkers' love for basketball

Buffalo's not big enough to support a 3rd major sports team, and St. Louis probably isn't big enough to support a 4th. They start cannibalizing each other for revenue.

Saddletramp
01-01-2016, 01:04 AM
Buffalo's not big enough to support a 3rd major sports team, and St. Louis probably isn't big enough to support a 4th. They start cannibalizing each other for revenue.

Not only that, but Buffalo is so close to Toronto, there's no need for a new "local" team and St. Louis is already potentially getting their football team ripped away.

It sucks not having basketball in Seattle, but I don't think getting new teams is a viable option right now.

slashsnake
01-01-2016, 03:47 AM
Louisville would be a neat choice. Already have a 22k seat arena with a pile of luxury boxes. Basketball country right there and bigger media market than NO or Memphis.

Tg11
01-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Louisville would be a neat choice. Already have a 22k seat arena with a pile of luxury boxes. Basketball country right there and bigger media market than NO or Memphis.

Louisville possibly could support a team but at the same time I am sure that if the NBA ever did expand again they would want to expand to a city that not only could support an NBA team but would have the big media market and revenue market. However, really does Louisville have the revenue? They probably do but would they have the media exposure though?

As far as another 2 cities that I feel that would actually work out great in terms of NBA expansion are Seattle but also thinking about this other city too I think that they would be perfect as far as NBA expansion and that is Pittsburgh.

Seattle you could put them in the Western Conference and then for Pittsburgh you could put them in the Eastern Conference.

Pittsburgh then would have a rivalry with the 76ers because of the geographical closeness but also Pittsburgh I think just fits more well in the East then they could in the West. As for Seattle they have more or less always been a Western Conference team in the sense of always being on the west coast but even so Seattle with them being back in the league but also in the West too they could have so much potential as far as reigniting old rivalries but also building newer ones too.

Kleonidas
01-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Agree 100% You would think as much as this topic has been beat to death people would start to understand the only correct answer is somewhere in Kentucky.

Team 2 Seattle.

Tg11
01-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Louisville and Seattle I know I would be all right

Tg11
01-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Seattle
Pittsburgh