PDA

View Full Version : Who is your MVP so far this year?

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Steph Curry? Westy? KD? LBJ?

Though I think most would agree that Curry is playing at the highest level in the league, I think the definition of 'valuable' means that he is not the automatic first pick for everybody.

LBJ, though perhaps playing his worst basketball since his rookie year, is incredibly important for the Cavs, and warrants MVP consideration. I think that roster would be a lottery team without him.

Curry is the obvious choice, but given how well Green is playing (he leads the team in assists and rebounds, and is doing a vital job spreading the floor, so some might argue that despite not being the best player on the team, he may be the most valuable. And obviously Curry is huge and is as deserving as anybody.

KD and Westy are both having MVP seasons again, though the fact they play with each other may cause some to over look one, the other, or both.

Who you got so far?

DanG
12-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Curry and it's not close. He put up one of the greatest 20 game stretches ever. The whole season for him has been record breaking and I think no one else has an argument for MVP over him at this point. He has also stepped up in the clutch multiple times winning 4-5 games which could have been losses easily.

leprechaun5
12-27-2015, 09:20 PM
1.Curry

2.Kawhi

Tg11
12-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Curry hands down like it is not even a debate

TrueFan420
12-27-2015, 10:15 PM
As of this moment it's easily Curry but there's still a lot of time left in the season.

Shammyguy3
12-28-2015, 01:06 AM
I agree with the notion that "Best Player" and "Most Valuable Player" are not the same thing. Which is why, as a Bulls fan, Rose winning the MVP in 2011 was 100% fine by me (I think it was a tossup between him and Dwight Howard, even though everyone agrees Lebron was still the best player in the league). However, this season there is such an astounding amount of value from a single player that just so happens to be the best player in the league in my opinion. So, Stephen Curry.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 02:27 AM
I agree with the notion that "Best Player" and "Most Valuable Player" are not the same thing. Which is why, as a Bulls fan, Rose winning the MVP in 2011 was 100% fine by me (I think it was a tossup between him and Dwight Howard, even though everyone agrees Lebron was still the best player in the league). However, this season there is such an astounding amount of value from a single player that just so happens to be the best player in the league in my opinion. So, Stephen Curry.

I disagreed with Rose because he was neither. Funny how that works huh

Gander13SM
12-28-2015, 05:23 AM
Curry followed by KD and Kawhi.

Right now it's a run away for Steph. But that probably won't last all year.

More-Than-Most
12-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Is James/Westy/PG really that far away than Curry? Honest question... I think its curry as well right now but all 3 of those guys are pretty close with not nearly as deep teams helping them out.

Bigbadmoffo
12-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Demar Derozan

Gander13SM
12-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Is James/Westy/PG really that far away than Curry? Honest question... I think its curry as well right now but all 3 of those guys are pretty close with not nearly as deep teams helping them out.

They're nowhere near him imo.

And you can't use the fact that he has a better team to knock him. It's not his fault his manager is good at his job.

KnicksorBust
12-28-2015, 08:18 AM

This is when a narrow viewpoint is finally taken to the point of absurdity. Far too often people discredit success of players and coaches by creating an arbitrary comparison. I always wonder what threshold of success would be acceptable to justify that player or coaches value. Curry is the perfect example. He is leading the league in scoring. He is the best player on a tram that is 28-1. His PER is on pace to be the greatest individual season of ALL-TIME.

If that is not enough reason for people to stop bringing up his teammates then I give up. He makes everything they do so much easier. Does anyone really think Draymond Green would put up this many points/assists on the Lakers? Imagine getting to play 4-3 all the time. There is a reason why Curry leads the league in secondary assists. Or always having room in the paint bc there is a defender glued to Steph 25-30ft from the basket. One of my favorite plays of the Finals last season was when Lebrom was guarding Iggy in transition. Iguodala HAD THE BALL at the time. Curry sprinted to the corner and LeBron, an incredibly smart and talented defender, left Iguodala to double team Curry in the corner. Iguodala just drove right to the basket and scored. This is a historic player on a historic team and any MVP talk this season starts and stops with Stephen Curry.

SteBO
12-28-2015, 08:57 AM
So, you thought Rose was the most valuable player for the Bulls. That's fine, I saw what you saw, so despite a pretty loud disapproval, I was for Rose winning it in 2011. For me though, it was mostly about expectations. Heading into that year, nobody saw the Bulls as anything more than 4 seed in the east behind Boston, Miami, and Orlando. They ended up winning 66 games w/ the 1 seed, through injuries to important people. Rose kept them afloat, so there you go. The LBJ hate that year helped a bit too.

This year, Golden State has a media-placed chip on their shoulders because people foolishly think their title was fraudulent, despite being the best team in the league from start to finish. Curry makes them sooo much better at what they do offensively. Curry is far and away the MVP so far.

Munkeysuit
12-28-2015, 09:16 AM
I hate to say it but it's Steph Curry's to lose at this point.

Scoots
12-28-2015, 11:22 AM
LBJ, though perhaps playing his worst basketball since his rookie year, is incredibly important for the Cavs, and warrants MVP consideration. I think that roster would be a lottery team without him.

I find this funny, and an illustration of the fickleness of sports debate. A couple years ago people were describing Irving and Love as top 10 players in the NBA, and now a team built with them and several other decent players is a lottery team without James. Is that too harsh for the Cavs roster or are those 2 players really not very good?

It's Curry for now, but there are a lot of players having great seasons on winning teams.

Tony_Starks
12-28-2015, 03:50 PM
The best player on the planet, Stephen Curry.

Holeup, did someone seriously says the Cavs with Kyrie and Love would be a LOTTO team without Bron? In the east?

You see man, this is precisely what I'm talking about......

tredigs
12-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Curry is leading a 28-1 team and leads the league in PPG with a PER and WS/48 that would break the All-Time best in NBA history. On 50/40/90+ and on pace to hit 400 threes when no player has ever approached 300 threes. It's sort of a silly question to ask. All NBA 1st Team is more relevant.

blahblahyoutoo
12-28-2015, 04:28 PM
whoever doesn't have curry as #1 right now does not know basketball.

OlivaThor
12-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Kawhi Leonard. He is top 8 offensive player plus the best defensive player in the league.
Steph is close second.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-28-2015, 04:48 PM
This is probably the most obvious MVP ballot so far in NBA history.

CarolinaCDM
12-28-2015, 05:15 PM
They're nowhere near him imo.

And you can't use the fact that he has a better team to knock him. It's not his fault his manager is good at his job.

lol what?? of course you can...why on earth do u think Lebron didnt get MVP his first year in Miami? Because he had too much talent around him...what a dumb statement...you deserve a wedgie

CarolinaCDM
12-28-2015, 05:16 PM

You must be young...like born after 1995. Nobody who watched Jordan throughout the 90s would ever make such a dumb statement

Gander13SM
12-28-2015, 05:20 PM
lol what?? of course you can...why on earth do u think Lebron didnt get MVP his first year in Miami? Because he had too much talent around him...what a dumb statement...you deserve a wedgie

I hope that was supposed to be sarcastic.

KnicksorBust
12-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Curry is leading a 28-1 team and leads the league in PPG with a PER and WS/48 that would break the All-Time best in NBA history. On 50/40/90+ and on pace to hit 400 threes when no player has ever approached 300 threes. It's sort of a silly question to ask. All NBA 1st Team is more relevant.

Lol your first sentence was like identical to my post.

JasonJohnHorn
12-28-2015, 07:11 PM
I find this funny, and an illustration of the fickleness of sports debate. A couple years ago people were describing Irving and Love as top 10 players in the NBA, and now a team built with them and several other decent players is a lottery team without James. Is that too harsh for the Cavs roster or are those 2 players really not very good?

It's Curry for now, but there are a lot of players having great seasons on winning teams.

I understand you point. A few seasons ago I would have ranked Love in the top ten. Irving not so much.

As for right now, Irving hasn't played all year, so if you take LBJ off the roster, they ball handlers are Mo Williams and Delladova. Do you think that would be good enough with a chucker like Smith to pull out a playoff spot?

As for Love, I think on a team that needs him to he'll be grabbing a dozen boards and scoring 25+, but we've seen that when he does that, it doesn't translate to wins. They did manage 40 win in the West in Love's last season.

Could this team make the playoffs without James? Likely, if Irving was wealthy all year, but he isn't. So I think it's a fair assessment to suggest that with a roster that would have Smith as the second option, and Mo Williams as the starting point guard, that yes, this team would be well under .500 by the time that Irving returned, and given his level of play the last 3 games, it's pretty clear that Irving wouldn't be in a position to help the team play better his first couple of weeks, and likely not for a month.

I think guys can be fickle, but players can also go up and down. People who argued that Rose had a brighter future than Westy a few seasons ago had a legit case. Now, not so much. People who thought D-Will coming to NJ with Wallace would make them a contender had good reason to think that. But guys sometimes have curious regression, and a guy who puts up great numbers on a lottery team joins a contender and is suddenly a third option (Love) or can't even crack the rotation (Hawes).

But, yeah.. I stand by the assessment that Cleveland would be a lottery team without James this year.

As for MVP, Curry is my pick at this point in the season.

JasonJohnHorn
12-28-2015, 07:21 PM
You must be young...like born after 1995. Nobody who watched Jordan throughout the 90s would ever make such a dumb statement

As amazing as Jordan was, he played in an era with some incredible depth and amazing MVP/HOF players.

If you look at the IBM Award from back then (which was essentially an older version of PER that went to the player with the best statistical performance), you'll see Jordan only won that award twice, and in neither of those seasons did he win the MVP.

The years that Jordan did win MVP, other players had better statistical seasons according to the IBM formula.

David Robinson came away with the award FIVE times! In 95 he won both the MVP and the IBM award, so really, Robinson was the player in the era who had the most obvious MVP ballot.

I'm not suggesting the IBM award was an indicator of the true MVP, just noting how subjective these things are.

I think when you look at how well the Warriors are doing, and how well Curry is playing, that yes, this a pretty obvious MVP race, perhaps of all time. Though that is hard to quantify, I wouldn't say it is a naive statement.

Bostonjorge
12-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Paul George is far more valuable for the pacers then James is for the cavs. If removing James makes the cavs a lottery team with that roster then removing George makes the pacers the sixers. Pacers did become a lottery team when George was out after having the best record out east the year before. So George is the most "valuable" player.

As for the MVP it's goes to best player in basketball Curry.

KnicksorBust
12-28-2015, 09:00 PM

Do you think any players other than Curry deserve a 1st place vote?

Shammyguy3
12-28-2015, 10:14 PM
I disagreed with Rose because he was neither. Funny how that works huh

to each their own

So, you thought Rose was the most valuable player for the Bulls. That's fine, I saw what you saw, so despite a pretty loud disapproval, I was for Rose winning it in 2011. For me though, it was mostly about expectations. Heading into that year, nobody saw the Bulls as anything more than 4 seed in the east behind Boston, Miami, and Orlando. They ended up winning 66 games w/ the 1 seed, through injuries to important people. Rose kept them afloat, so there you go. The LBJ hate that year helped a bit too.

This year, Golden State has a media-placed chip on their shoulders because people foolishly think their title was fraudulent, despite being the best team in the league from start to finish. Curry makes them sooo much better at what they do offensively. Curry is far and away the MVP so far.

it was the absolute perfect narrative for Rose to win; having watched all 82+ games that year though, Rose's value on offense to that team was huge. I think Dwight/Lebron were better players, and they impacted the game in greater ways, but when it came down to the respective rosters of those 3 guys (and any other star player in the league like Durant/CP3/etc) I think Rose deserved it :shrug:

don't want to hijack this thread though. I'd like for someone to argue Kawhi Leonard as a top-10 offensive player though. He has great numbers but is he truly that good offensively (@kdspurman?)

tredigs
12-29-2015, 01:10 AM

Lol. Respond to my post, son.

CarolinaCDM
12-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Honestly Yes, I beleive that Paul George and Lebron should get at least a couple votes each

SPURSFAN1
12-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Kawhi. Steph a close second.

tredigs
12-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Honestly Yes, I beleive that Paul George and Lebron should get at least a couple votes each

You don't actually believe that a reporter of the NBA should vote for Paul George as the MVP. Curry has a PER that is >10 points higher than PG. His WS/48 is literally double PG (actually much more than that), and he's leading a team with one loss. It's one of the greatest seasons in NBA history to this point. There is no argument for any player other than Curry. That can and probably will change, but at this point it is not a discussion.

Also, Kawhi should be #2.

ManningToTyree
12-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Curry by a mile at this point

MonroeFAN
12-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Could Kawhi fans shed some light on the following

http://i.imgur.com/FPS4VF2.png

Scoots
12-29-2015, 02:30 PM

I'd like to see that compiled for all the MVP candidates.

MonroeFAN
12-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Ask and you shall receive Scoots.

http://imgur.com/a/lFlN5

FlashBolt
12-29-2015, 02:51 PM

So Draymond Green is a damn beast and amazing team player is what I'm getting from that. Jesus Christ, this guy is easily a top ten player. Never thought I'd say that!

MonroeFAN
12-29-2015, 03:00 PM
I highly regret challenging GSW fans on that contract last season. I would place him top 5.

KnicksorBust
12-29-2015, 03:29 PM

It is my assumption, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, that you are one of those people that doesn't believe Curry should even be in the running because his teammates are too good. Similarly to LBJ in Miami when some people said he shouldn't be up for MVP.

If that is not the case:
What would Curry have to do in the second half of the season to earn the MVP unanimously ?

Scoots
12-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Jeez ... Aldridge and Kawhi are holding the Spurs back :)

tredigs
12-29-2015, 03:58 PM
It is my assumption, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, that you are one of those people that doesn't believe Curry should even be in the running because his teammates are too good. Similarly to LBJ in Miami when some people said he shouldn't be up for MVP.

If that is not the case:
What would Curry have to do in the second half of the season to earn the MVP unanimously ?

Amazingly, the Warriors are actually outscored by opponents when Curry is on the bench. Highest win margin history at their current pace and yet that's the case.

SPURSFAN1
12-29-2015, 05:13 PM

The Spurs have a great offensive 2nd unit. Kawhi plays nothing but starter minutes. When those players are not playing with Kawhi, they are playing with the second unit. Besides this is just TS%. Take this crap back to reddit where it has no meaning brah.

Kawhi has a net rating of +14.4

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202695/stats/advanced/

Yeah he is hurting the Spurs. Get the hell outta here.

2/3rd RPM this season. :laugh:

tredigs
12-29-2015, 05:28 PM
The Spurs have a great offensive 2nd unit. Kawhi plays nothing but starter minutes. When those players are not playing with Kawhi, they are playing with the second unit. Besides this is just TS%. Take this crap back to reddit where it has no meaning brah.

Kawhi has a net rating of +14.4

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202695/stats/advanced/

Yeah he is hurting the Spurs. Get the hell outta here.

2/3rd RPM this season. :laugh:
Lol, why so defensive big guy? He asked a relevant question.

Kawhi's net Offensive rating is +2.7 by the way. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leonaka01/on-off/2016/.

For reference, Curry is +30. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01/on-off/2016/

One is the MVP, the other is not.

Kyben36
12-29-2015, 05:54 PM
I gotta give a shoutout to paul george, guy has really played well to keep the pacers, who have lost stephenson, and hibbert, and kept them going.

Steph curry is a beast as well and impossible to argue with right now either. At least when it was rose/james argument, james was clearly the best but was not dominating like curry is, curry is just scary good

SPURSFAN1
12-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Lol, why so defensive big guy? He asked a relevant question.

Kawhi's net Offensive rating is +2.7 by the way. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leonaka01/on-off/2016/.

For reference, Curry is +30. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01/on-off/2016/

One is the MVP, the other is not.

So you end up talking crap about kawhi but only bring up the offensive split? Dumb dude.

Real plus minus says Kawhi and Curry virtually the same.

NBA doesn't want the warriors to lose an early season loss to the Spurs. Shows you who daddy is. :clap:

Kawhi is Warrior kryptonite whether you like it or not. :laugh:

Vee-Rex
12-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Wow, that's an astounding list.

Key things of note there:

1. Klay Thompson benefits HEAVILY from Curry. Without Curry he's... ugh.

2. Mozgov benefits HEAVILY from Love. Love's passing ability is tremendous and it helps give Mozgov easier buckets. I bet if there was a way to look at defensive ratings then Love would benefit from Mozzy being on the floor. These two really work well at hiding each other's deficiencies.

tredigs
12-29-2015, 06:37 PM
So you end up talking crap about kawhi but only bring up the offensive split? Dumb dude.

Real plus minus says Kawhi and Curry virtually the same.

NBA doesn't want the warriors to lose an early season loss to the Spurs. Shows you who daddy is. :clap:

It's offensive on/off of the opponents as well, so no. Not just one side of the ball. What it says is that the Warriors fall apart with Curry off the floor, while the Spurs maintain their level of play for the most part with or without Kawhi.

Here's hoping the Spurs can get past the Clips and make it there this year. :cheers:

SPURSFAN1
12-29-2015, 06:39 PM
It's offensive on/off of the opponents as well, so no. Not just one side of the ball. What it says is that the Warriors fall apart with Curry off the floor, while the Spurs maintain their level of play for the most part with or without Kawhi.

Here's hoping the Spurs can get past the Clips and make it there this year. :cheers:

Spurs have a Championship track record. I don't know about ya. Careful what you wish for. :D

SPURSFAN1
12-29-2015, 06:42 PM
3 WCFs in the last 4 years. How people forget so easily. :oldguy:

tredigs
12-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Am I denying the Spurs potential? I know how good the Spurs are. I want to see that matchup. Wanted to see it last year.

JasonJohnHorn
12-29-2015, 08:43 PM
The best player on the planet, Stephen Curry.

Holeup, did someone seriously says the Cavs with Kyrie and Love would be a LOTTO team without Bron? In the east?

You see man, this is precisely what I'm talking about......

Yeah... I stand by that.

You think a team with Kyrie out and LBJ off the team would be over .500 right now? Keep in mind that Kyrie has bee out himself all season, which means that Delladova and Mo Williams would be handling the ball, and that JR Smith would be the number 2 option. Sure, Love's great, but you think that team would be over .500? And the way Kyrie is playing coming back right now?

They'd be 5 or 6 games back at least, and Kyrie's return would make them worse in the short term, meaning that they'd be playing catch-up all season.

Yeah... they'd be a lottery team. The Knicks were a lottery team with Smith as a second option; what makes you think the Cavs would be any different? Hell, last year he was their 4th option before they traded him and they weren't winning games.

valade16
12-29-2015, 09:11 PM
For reference, no one has won the MVP award unanimously. The closest anyone has come were:

LeBron James 12-13
Shaquille O'Neal 99-00

Each were 1 vote shy of unanimous. Surprisingly, MJ isn't there but he was 2 away from unanimous in 95-96.

I think the conversation has shifted from "who is MVP" to "Will Curry be the first unanimous MVP in NBA History?"

G_S_W
12-30-2015, 04:14 AM
Spurs have a Championship track record. I don't know about ya. Careful what you wish for. :D

The spurs have played some of the most beautiful basketball I have ever seen. Having said that, they did lose in the first round last season. Parker and Ginobili have been reduced to role players and Danny Green is struggling as well.

Kawhi is having a fantastic season, and Duncan remains an excellent defensive player. This is not to mention the acquisition of LMA.

I simply don't see the spurs as a great matchup against the dubs at this point. Dubs are much younger, and are just now reaching their prime. The spurs are on their downside (even LMA) for the most part, coming off a poor showing in '15.

The warriors are clear cut favorites, although that should go without saying at this point.

5ass
12-30-2015, 05:10 AM
Andrew Nicholson.

MonroeFAN
12-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Sorry for the comment I guess. Get rid of this Jamoke.

Tg11
12-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Curry hands down

Scoots
12-30-2015, 12:09 PM

I would instead say the Spurs are Warriors kryptonite ... or at least have been. We'll see in a couple months ... and hopefully in the playoffs too.

SPURSFAN1
12-30-2015, 12:58 PM
I would instead say the Spurs are Warriors kryptonite ... or at least have been. We'll see in a couple months ... and hopefully in the playoffs too.

For sure. :)

SPURSFAN1
12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
The spurs have played some of the most beautiful basketball I have ever seen. Having said that, they did lose in the first round last season. Parker and Ginobili have been reduced to role players and Danny Green is struggling as well.

Kawhi is having a fantastic season, and Duncan remains an excellent defensive player. This is not to mention the acquisition of LMA.

I simply don't see the spurs as a great matchup against the dubs at this point. Dubs are much younger, and are just now reaching their prime. The spurs are on their downside (even LMA) for the most part, coming off a poor showing in '15.

The warriors are clear cut favorites, although that should go without saying at this point.

One of the best defenses of the last 15 years or probably more and we are at a downside. :confused:

kdspurman
12-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Parker and Manu are role players, but both have been dam good this year, far better than last year. They match up just fine with GS on paper and just from seeing their style of play.

Hopefully we can see it happen this year. Btw, age doesn't mean anything. Spurs have beaten plenty of younger teams throughout their title runs. Aside from GS last year, it's usually the older teams who win it all.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2015, 10:28 PM

Not really. Jordan had much more competition to compete with for MVP than Curry has this year.

tredigs
12-30-2015, 11:38 PM
Not really. Jordan had much more competition to compete with for MVP than Curry has this year.

Eh - depends on the year if you're talking about Jordan. You've got Westbrook/Durant/Kawhi/Lebron all having very impressive seasons (all are MVP caliber seasons depending on the year), and multiple of these guys are going to go down as All-Timers. Then there's guys like Harden putting up 28/7/6 who aren't even in the discussion. This is far from a shallow list of MVP caliber talent.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2015, 12:16 AM
Eh - depends on the year if you're talking about Jordan. You've got Westbrook/Durant/Kawhi/Lebron all having very impressive seasons (all are MVP caliber seasons depending on the year), and multiple of these guys are going to go down as All-Timers. Then there's guys like Harden putting up 28/7/6 who aren't even in the discussion. This is far from a shallow list of MVP caliber talent.

Jordan was competing with a lot of top 15 players all time (at the time) for MVP. I'm sure he should've gotten more 1st place votes than he got (possibly unanimous) but his road to getting there was pretty though.

blahblahyoutoo
12-31-2015, 01:02 AM
anyone still questioning curry's "value" to the warriors?

AIRMAR72
01-01-2016, 04:22 AM
Steph Curry? Westy? KD? LBJ?

Though I think most would agree that Curry is playing at the highest level in the league, I think the definition of 'valuable' means that he is not the automatic first pick for everybody.

Curry is the obvious choice, but given how well Green is playing (he leads the team in assists and rebounds, and is doing a vital job spreading the floor, so some might argue that despite not being the best player on the team, he may be the most valuable. And obviously Curry is huge and is as deserving as anybody.

KD and Westy are both having MVP seasons again, though the fact they play with each other may cause some to over look one, the other, or both.

Who you got so far?
Curry