PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry 'hurting' basketball?

JasonJohnHorn
12-26-2015, 12:46 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/mark-jackson-thinks-stephen-curry-is-hurting-basketball-388242.html

Mark Jackson says that 'Steph Curry' is hurting basketball, and though this comment seems ridiculous without context, his observations may be fair.

Jackson says that when he visits higshcools, he sees young kids running up to the three-point line and tossing up treys and are not focusing on other elements of the game.

I think the same thing happens every generation. I was young enough to see kids causing turnover throwing out no-look passes because Magic could do it, and other kids drive to the hoop and spin around to toss up a shot with their back to the basket because Jordan could pull acrobatics like that (see Kobe his first three years in the league). I knew Bird fans that would throw up three's like crazy as well.

That said, while I understand what Jackson is saying, I think truly talented and committed youths who love the game will work on all aspects of the game. I think Curry encouraging players to develop range is actually an improvement, since when I was a kid other guys seems more interested in switching hand mid-air and tossing up circus shots so they could 'be like Mike'.

Thoughts? Is this a fair assessment?

Gander13SM
12-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Nah. Jackson is known for his passive aggressive comments about the Warriors. Still bitter that they fired him. But maybe he was calling all those isolations and preventing Curry from reaching his peak to save basketball?

Truth is the only people buying into this are the people stuck in the past.

When they changed the ball and it became easier to dribble you started seeing the flashy dribble moves... People at the time said they would ruin the game.

Then came the dunks... another big no-no that people said would ruin the game.

And now this...

It's just Jackson being Jackson.

Truth is, Curry is one of "those" guys. The Jordans, Birds, etc. He transcends the game and much like Jordan he will have an entire army of kids mimicking him. Eventually there will be a Kobe to Curry's MJ.

This isn't a bad thing at all. The reason it's happening is because Curry's entire game is predicated on skill. Not athleticism.

Kids can't copy LeBron or KD or whatever. They can't copy Shaq they could copy Kobe. They couldn't copy Olajuwon they could copy MJ. Etc etc.

Take any kid. Any. They have a better chance at shooting like Steph than they do of being as big and strong as Shaq or as big and athletic as LeBron.

A guy who is dominating a league filled with people who won the genetic lottery by using skills that he has developed is ruining the the game?

I don't buy it.

MonroeFAN
12-26-2015, 01:02 PM
No I don't think it's fair really. Ultimately the league will follow with the trends so teams will focus more on 3 point shooting and either players will become more efficient at shooting them or the league averages will drop. The game is changing, it's not curry's fault.

This has been happening for a while though. Mid range game is basically dead beyond a few players. IMO guys like wade and rose who rely on contact and attacking the rim are more guilty of the league than curry is. Curry can do everything on the court.

ManningToTyree
12-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Not buying that he sounds like a bitter ex girlfriend

D-Leethal
12-26-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't think it's any worse than it was for a guy like AI, or was for a guy like MJ. Those guys changed the way youngins' approached the game at an early age in different ways. I don't think guys are going around taking shots they can't make, any more than those same guys did a few years ago, because of Steph Curry. Walk into a high school gym 5 years ago and you have jack ***** shooting nothing but 3s too.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-26-2015, 01:14 PM
This has been going on for at least 2 decades. It did not start with Curry. Many young guys want to dunk or shoot 3's. They are the two most exciting plays so kids are naturally attracted to them.

Vee-Rex
12-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Disagree with Mark Jackson that Curry is hurting the game. Sounds like those kids just have bad coaching. :)

MagicBucsSox
12-26-2015, 02:02 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/mark-jackson-thinks-stephen-curry-is-hurting-basketball-388242.html

Mark Jackson says that 'Steph Curry' is hurting basketball, and though this comment seems ridiculous without context, his observations may be fair.

Jackson says that when he visits higshcools, he sees young kids running up to the three-point line and tossing up treys and are not focusing on other elements of the game.

I think the same thing happens every generation. I was young enough to see kids causing turnover throwing out no-look passes because Magic could do it, and other kids drive to the hoop and spin around to toss up a shot with their back to the basket because Jordan could pull acrobatics like that (see Kobe his first three years in the league). I knew Bird fans that would throw up three's like crazy as well.

That said, while I understand what Jackson is saying, I think truly talented and committed youths who love the game will work on all aspects of the game. I think Curry encouraging players to develop range is actually an improvement, since when I was a kid other guys seems more interested in switching hand mid-air and tossing up circus shots so they could 'be like Mike'.

Transcends the game? Bro he's been relevant for a 1yr n a 1/2. Won a title in which he played vs a scrub and wasnt even the best player on the floor. Didnt even win MVP of the finals. I love steph, i wanted the Magic to ttade Dwight for him deal that whole Bs happened . But lets stop crowning him after a year of dominance. Let the kid get a resumè.

Jackson isnt condemning Steph the person. He's saying saying EVERY KID THIS GENERATION IS GONNA TRY TO IMMULATE steph and he honestly doesn't play fundamental skills that you should learn as a kid. He's unconventional. Like Vlad Guerrero/Manny Ramirez at the plate. But kids too immature to know that. Steph Curry is a clone a Gilbert Arenas on good night. But that good nighr is every night

Gander13SM
12-26-2015, 02:11 PM
1. Curry doesn't play fundamental basketball? His fundamentals are second to none. Watch him play stop watching highlights. Just because he does outrageous things doesn't mean he doesn't have great fundamentals.

2. Saying he transcends the game isn't me crowning him anything. He does transcend the game. The same way Jordan did, or Bird, Magic, Dr J, Kareem. Because hes completely unique. Just like those guys, we've never seen anything like Steph before. Ever. And just like those guys we will see many people imitate him in the future. What he does on the court borders on artistry. I'm not claiming him to be the GOAT (and hes been doing this for more than this season) I'm not even giving a crap about longevity. I'm talking about his game. It goes beyond anything we've seen. It is transcending. He could die right now and he would still be one of the most transcendent players in nba history.

3. He plays nothing like Arenas. I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever watched basketball.

Shammyguy3
12-26-2015, 02:11 PM
That's not Stephen Curry's fault, even if what M. Jackson says is accurate. It's the parents of the kids, the coaches of the kids, and ultimately the kids themselves that refuse to work on an all-around game. Curry isn't making them do it. So in the end, Jackson is woefully wrong.

Gander13SM
12-26-2015, 02:12 PM
And I think you quoted the wrong person jason long horn or whatever never said anything about transcending the game.

KnicksorBust
12-26-2015, 02:50 PM
As a HS coach Curry sets a great role model for them. Not only is he a great guy off the court but his dribbling, passing, finishing at the rim, and shooting are so fundamentally strong. Curry takes (and makes) some ridiculous 3's but most superstar besides Tim Duncan are going to do incredible head shaking things that coaches might not recommend to their players. As long as young players realize the amount of work and dedication Steph put into the fundamentals of his game then that is a great lesson for them.

Scoots
12-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Jackson has said a bunch of dumb things about the Warriors. One of the best was he derided "the importance center play" when Bogut was making good plays, and when he praised DeAndre Jordan JVG called him out for his hypocrisy.

After this latest comment Bogut called him two-faced.

lol, please
12-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Surprised to see people write off a logical statement based on the source. I think there are good arguments on both sides, but I did hear him say this live and agreed with it at the time. I think what he is doing helps the NBA in that he is a more "average" looking person who found success like Nash did and gives hope to youth, and also because he set a new standard for excellence with 3 pt shooting, but Jackson is right about this being a double edged sword in that way, although I wouldn't say curry is "hurting" the sport, I can totally see young hopefuls not being focused or working on the right fundamentals and just try and chuck it in transition, etc.

To me that's on the coaching, parenting, and discipline of the child themselves though, you can't blame curry for that directly, and I don't think he was blaming curry, but his point is valid nonetheless.

Jackson also followed that comment by saying that Curry is successful because he is a well rounded complete player and not just a shooter, and that was the responsible thing to say because it's true, and his point was that kids should pick up on that as well, and I agree.

The misdirected hatred and mockery for the man is unnecessary, especially from fellow fans, who cares what he said on the spot on air a season ago, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Bron > Kobe
12-26-2015, 06:12 PM
This has been going on for at least 2 decades. It did not start with Curry. Many young guys want to dunk or shoot 3's. They are the two most exciting plays so kids are naturally attracted to them.
This

KnicksorBust
12-26-2015, 06:17 PM

It is insulting bc Mark Jackson knows as well as anyone how hard Curry worked on fundamentals to get to where he is.

Tony_Starks
12-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Que the Jackson haters saying he's bitter.

All great players ruin the game to a certain extent, but only for players that aren't serious about their game and don't love basketball.

Real recognize real.

sf-fanatic
12-26-2015, 07:44 PM
I'd rather the kids chuck threes than copy the era of the fadeaway jumpers from Tmac, Vince Carter, and others.

aman_13
12-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Jackson wasn't coming off as a hater. He was complimenting Curry.

AIRMAR72
12-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Exactly

cmellofan15
12-27-2015, 03:41 PM
sounds like jackson thinks all Steph Curry's game is "running up to the three-point line and tossing up treys and not focusing on other elements of the game"...

steelcityroller
12-27-2015, 03:44 PM
My thoughts on a couple things brought up by this conversation.

(1) That Steph Curry gives kids somebody to look up to because he is great because of his skill and not his athletic ability like Lebron or Shaq..... Lets not act like the guy is 5'5 with no athletic ability here folks.

Steph Curry is 6'3 and that may be short for the NBA. But the fact of the matter is that still makes him taller than 97% of men in this country. The average man in the United States is 5'9.

Steph Curry has a 35-36" vertical leap. The NBA average is 28".

I don't have the statistics for his speed or quickness. But if you watch the games you know he is one of the quickest players on the floor.

(2) He got here by working hard on his craft.

While this is absolutely true he had something that pretty much nobody else will have growing up.... A dad/coach that was a veteran NBA player. This means he had better coaching that almost everybody else growing up. This also means that his family had the resources to where he could go to all the basketball camps, have his own basketball court etc.

(3) I don't quite agree with the notion that there has never been anybody like Steph Curry in the NBA. I see some comparisons to Oscar Robertson and Allen Iverson in ways. Imagine if Allen Iverson grew up with the advantages of Steph Curry?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2015, 04:24 PM
That's the kids fault. Curry's actually good at it. If a kid wants to parade around shooting 30 footers and they suck at it, well that's their fault.

It's no different than when all the kids wanted to be a SG playing hero ball because Kobe and Jordan did it. Or how kids want to handle the ball the whole time and ISO like Lebron or Carmelo.

Allphakenny1
12-27-2015, 07:43 PM
My thoughts on a couple things brought up by this conversation.

(1) That Steph Curry gives kids somebody to look up to because he is great because of his skill and not his athletic ability like Lebron or Shaq..... Lets not act like the guy is 5'5 with no athletic ability here folks.

Steph Curry is 6'3 and that may be short for the NBA. But the fact of the matter is that still makes him taller than 97% of men in this country. The average man in the United States is 5'9.

Steph Curry has a 35-36" vertical leap. The NBA average is 28".

I don't have the statistics for his speed or quickness. But if you watch the games you know he is one of the quickest players on the floor.

(2) He got here by working hard on his craft.

While this is absolutely true he had something that pretty much nobody else will have growing up.... A dad/coach that was a veteran NBA player. This means he had better coaching that almost everybody else growing up. This also means that his family had the resources to where he could go to all the basketball camps, have his own basketball court etc.

(3) I don't quite agree with the notion that there has never been anybody like Steph Curry in the NBA. I see some comparisons to Oscar Robertson and Allen Iverson in ways. Imagine if Allen Iverson grew up with the advantages of Steph Curry?

I struggle to agree with your points here.

1. Curry is in the NBA because of his skill, not his size or athletic ability. Yes, 6'3 is tall, but the vast majority of 6'3 people in the world are not in the NBA and do not have any of the skills Curry possesses. I am unsure if what you say about his vertical is true, but Curry can barely dunk at 6'3; not impressive to me. Finally, he does not look as quick to me as you say. His ball handling abilities may make him look quicker, but that is a skill.

2. While what you say here is true about children of professional athletes having advantages, most never make it to the professional level. They still have to work their *** off to get there, and it is pretty well reported that Curry had to work extremely hard at every level to achieve his success.

3. I cannot comment on Robertson, but Iverson and Curry are nothing alike as players. Curry is a truly unique player. Obviously he is the greatest three point shooter ever. Those who also are great shooters usually are unable to shoot off the dribble like Curry. They usually cannot drive and finish like Curry and are not great passers. To find someone who can shoot, pass, drive, ball-handle, and finish at the rim like Curry is very rare if it has ever happened before.

steelcityroller
12-27-2015, 10:36 PM
I struggle to agree with your points here.

1. Curry is in the NBA because of his skill, not his size or athletic ability. Yes, 6'3 is tall, but the vast majority of 6'3 people in the world are not in the NBA and do not have any of the skills Curry possesses. I am unsure if what you say about his vertical is true, but Curry can barely dunk at 6'3; not impressive to me. Finally, he does not look as quick to me as you say. His ball handling abilities may make him look quicker, but that is a skill.

2. While what you say here is true about children of professional athletes having advantages, most never make it to the professional level. They still have to work their *** off to get there, and it is pretty well reported that Curry had to work extremely hard at every level to achieve his success.

3. I cannot comment on Robertson, but Iverson and Curry are nothing alike as players. Curry is a truly unique player. Obviously he is the greatest three point shooter ever. Those who also are great shooters usually are unable to shoot off the dribble like Curry. They usually cannot drive and finish like Curry and are not great passers. To find someone who can shoot, pass, drive, ball-handle, and finish at the rim like Curry is very rare if it has ever happened before.

So are you saying that a 5'9 white kid growing up in poverty can be just as good as Steph Curry if he put in the same amount of work?

Because you said it is because of his skill.

You figure there would be more short players in the NBA if skill was really all that mattered.... Aside from the maybe dozen or so guys that are under 6-foot tall.

Allphakenny1
12-27-2015, 10:48 PM
So are you saying that a 5'9 white kid growing up in poverty can be just as good as Steph Curry if he put in the same amount of work?

Because you said it is because of his skill.

You figure there would be more short players in the NBA if skill was really all that mattered.... Aside from the maybe dozen or so guys that are under 6-foot tall.

Of course, if he has all the skills that Curry possesses and more, then I do not see why not. All the little guys that have made a name for themselves in the NBA have not been as skilled as Curry. If they were, they would have made a bigger impact on the league. They may have to work harder than Curry because they were not blessed with as much as him, but Curry had to work much harder than other who were blessed with more than him.

blahblahyoutoo
12-28-2015, 12:13 AM

really? cuz curry himself says he has to axe what jackson meant by those comments.
that's bad when someone he's coached for several years is questioning these dubious statements.
jackson be coming off like a jelly ex-gf.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 12:59 AM
I'd rather the kids chuck threes than copy the era of the fadeaway jumpers from Tmac, Vince Carter, and others.

MJ, Kobe, Dirk... yeah how awful

Imagine if kids learned to limit turnovers (unlike Curry), thats how narrowminded you sound.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Of course, if he has all the skills that Curry possesses and more, then I do not see why not. All the little guys that have made a name for themselves in the NBA have not been as skilled as Curry. If they were, they would have made a bigger impact on the league. They may have to work harder than Curry because they were not blessed with as much as him, but Curry had to work much harder than other who were blessed with more than him.

Having the drive counts most, having a father to nurture that drive is even rarer.

IKnowHoops
12-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Jackson is just one of those guys that just likes to run his mouth. He's a b----. There is some truth to what he says, but always a lot of sour grapes and hate attached to it. I love the combination of him and Van Gundy commentating, but anytime he talks about warriors, I tune him out. He's still and always will be hurting inside from getting canned from that job.

IKnowHoops
12-28-2015, 02:31 AM

Common now. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. His three shot is awesome not just because he practices a lot, but the mechanics that he actually practices are genius for the game. If Curry practiced a traditional 3pt shot in which his form was like more of a Jordan/Kobe jumper, he would not be as effective. Like Chronz said, having a father who was also an awesome 3pt shooter who played in the NBA counts for a lot. There are a lot of NBA players who work as hard as Curry, but they don't work as smart or as efficient as Curry. His shot was developed by himself and his dad and they put a lot of thought into it, to make sure he could get it off fast and with little energy. Most people don't have a dad that can teach things like that.

aman_13
12-28-2015, 04:33 AM
really? cuz curry himself says he has to axe what jackson meant by those comments.
that's bad when someone he's coached for several years is questioning these dubious statements.
jackson be coming off like a jelly ex-gf.

Mark Jackson might have used the wrong words initially when he said "hurting the game", but he was trying to praise Curry.

Steph:

“After I heard all of what he was talking about, I understand where he’s coming from – that being for the youth of today and how they watch us play or watch me in particular, and they want to go out and try to do the same thing,” Curry said Saturday. “It’s all about practice and routine and repetition that can help you get to that point, so you can’t skip that part of the process.

“I wish he would have phrased it just a little bit differently. I think I’m trying to inspire people to see the game differently in a positive way…I get what he was saying. There was a compliment in there. Knowing him personally, I think that’s what he meant.”

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/12/27/stephen-curry-trying-to-take-mark-jacksons-comments-as-compliment/

aman_13
12-28-2015, 04:40 AM
His words were taken out of context. I'm reading the quotes and they left most of his explanation out.

Munkeysuit
12-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Curry takes a lot of bad shots, and makes those shots but those are still bad shots. No matter how you slice it, Curry's skill set is not the type of skills you want to develop in a youth player simply because you can't, a lot of his skills come from his own style and expression, basketball is an art form and Curry's got his own dance moves, you can copy all you want but you can't be better than the original until you add your own flavor to it and achieve success with it.
I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe Curry's moves are a mixture of Allen Iverson's, Isaiah Thomas, Ray Allen and Steve Nash? he added his own flavor to it and VOILA! you got the reigning MVP. You can coach a kid all the fundamentals in the world but in the end its his interpretation of how to express it mixed with his own style and personality that will set him a part.

warfelg
12-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Jackson needs to STFU.

I got a little cousin who's a small kid and idolizes Curry. Thinks he can make it because Curry is proving to him that you don't have to be a big fast high flying freak to play in the NBA and be good. If at all Curry is possibly saving the NBA because of it. We need more like him TBH.

PhillyFaninLA
12-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Yup, all these great players that don't get in huge trouble off the court are terrible for the game.

Curry is much better than I thought he was 3 or 4 years ago. If he keeps this up he can be a hall of fame offensive player, maybe top ten all time offensive player and maybe top 50 all time if he keeps it up.

blahblahyoutoo
12-28-2015, 12:00 PM
His words were taken out of context. I'm reading the quotes and they left most of his explanation out.

the fact that curry himself says he's not sure what jackson meant and that he has to axe him is very telling.
you would think a former coach and his all star player would have a better relationship than that. it appears there's some bitterness or even animosity here.

and it's not like curry wasn't taking this "bad for basketball" shots when Jackson was coaching. where was the negative criticism then?
hater's gon hate.

Allphakenny1
12-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Common now. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. His three shot is awesome not just because he practices a lot, but the mechanics that he actually practices are genius for the game. If Curry practiced a traditional 3pt shot in which his form was like more of a Jordan/Kobe jumper, he would not be as effective. Like Chronz said, having a father who was also an awesome 3pt shooter who played in the NBA counts for a lot. There are a lot of NBA players who work as hard as Curry, but they don't work as smart or as efficient as Curry. His shot was developed by himself and his dad and they put a lot of thought into it, to make sure he could get it off fast and with little energy. Most people don't have a dad that can teach things like that.

It sounds like you are agreeing with me. The other poster made it seem like Curry was getting by on natural ability and not skill and hard work. I can guarantee you Curry and his dad worked on tweaking his shot to make it what it is today and Curry spent hours every day shooting outside to perfect it.

It is not like Dell has some 3pt shooting DNA and any sperm that shoots out of him is destined to be in the NBA. It took a lot of hard work for his son(s) to get there.

blahblahyoutoo
12-28-2015, 01:22 PM
It sounds like you are agreeing with me. The other poster made it seem like Curry was getting by on natural ability and not skill and hard work. I can guarantee you Curry and his dad worked on tweaking his shot to make it what it is today and Curry spent hours every day shooting outside to perfect it.

It is not like Dell has some 3pt shooting DNA and any sperm that shoots out of him is destined to be in the NBA. It took a lot of hard work for his son(s) to get there.

not destined but there's natural talent involved as well and I'm sure there DNA that comes into play in some way.
Shaq, dwight and DJ could practice shooting 10 hours a day and never dream to shoot 80% FT because they don't have that shooting stroke. they are just athletic big men, not skilled basketball players.

CarolinaCDM
12-28-2015, 02:38 PM
1. Curry doesn't play fundamental basketball? His fundamentals are second to none. Watch him play stop watching highlights. Just because he does outrageous things doesn't mean he doesn't have great fundamentals.

2. Saying he transcends the game isn't me crowning him anything. He does transcend the game. The same way Jordan did, or Bird, Magic, Dr J, Kareem. Because hes completely unique. Just like those guys, we've never seen anything like Steph before. Ever. And just like those guys we will see many people imitate him in the future. What he does on the court borders on artistry. I'm not claiming him to be the GOAT (and hes been doing this for more than this season) I'm not even giving a crap about longevity. I'm talking about his game. It goes beyond anything we've seen. It is transcending. He could die right now and he would still be one of the most transcendent players in nba history.

3. He plays nothing like Arenas. I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever watched basketball.

Ummmm Ray Allen?? He plays exactly like a young Ray Ray just a slightly better shooting %...we HAVE seen this before, it's just that the NBA is so watered down these days it seems like Steph is that much greaer than he really is. The notion that This years warriors could hang with the 95-96 bulls is laughable at best. throw jordan on steph, pippen on klay, and rodman on draymond and the warriors get ran out of the gym 4 games in a row

Yanks All Day
12-28-2015, 03:04 PM
I think peoples' views on the quote are skewed because Mark Jackson is the source.

He wasn't condemning Steph Curry. It's not like it's sour grapes from the ex-coach. What he's saying is that he doesn't condone the trend of younger kids just running to the 3 point line and shooting 3s because they see Steph do it. Mark Jackson, more than anyone, knows how great of an overall game Steph has. Obviously, he's the best shooter in the league. But he also gets to the rim at will, is one of the best passers in the game, plays decent defense, and is one of the two best ball handlers in basketball, alongside Kyrie Irving. Anyone who has ever been in a gym playing with or against guys who only know how to shoot 3s knows it can be an absolutely miserable experience. But that's not Steph. He's a complete player.

I think Jackson is pretty obviously saying what we all know: no one is Steph. There's so much more to the game than just shooting 3s, but that gets disregarded because of the highlights he provides. I'm not saying I agree with it, because that's just how basketball goes. The game changes. Great teams can shoot 3 pointers now. That's the current trend, and that's how you win. But in no way, to me, does this comment come across as bitter. He's totally right with his premise - you need to develop an entire game. But I think his language of using "he's hurting basketball," is just a little too harsh. Steph Curry is the most exciting player on the most exciting team in the NBA. He's far from hurting the game, but I know what Jackson is saying.

blahblahyoutoo
12-28-2015, 04:14 PM
no, not even close.
allen's degree of difficulty on his shots is no where near curry's.
he doesn't shake defenders to get his shot off. he usually runs off curls and screens and is a set shooter, not off the dribble.
he's not the primary ball handler probably because his handle is nowhere near as good.
he's not as versatile as curry, meaning he doesn't go to the rim and finish as well as curry does.
he doesn't pass anywhere near as well as curry.
he doesn't have the range that curry does.
and he's also taller which makes it easier for him to get his shot off.

allen is closer to korver than he is to curry.

Ummmm Ray Allen?? He plays exactly like a young Ray Ray just a slightly better shooting %...we HAVE seen this before, it's just that the NBA is so watered down these days it seems like Steph is that much greaer than he really is. The notion that This years warriors could hang with the 95-96 bulls is laughable at best. throw jordan on steph, pippen on klay, and rodman on draymond and the warriors get ran out of the gym 4 games in a row

blahblahyoutoo
12-28-2015, 04:15 PM
lemme axe you dis. why wasn't he condemning curry when he was coaching him then?

I think peoples' views on the quote are skewed because Mark Jackson is the source.

He wasn't condemning Steph Curry. It's not like it's sour grapes from the ex-coach. What he's saying is that he doesn't condone the trend of younger kids just running to the 3 point line and shooting 3s because they see Steph do it. Mark Jackson, more than anyone, knows how great of an overall game Steph has. Obviously, he's the best shooter in the league. But he also gets to the rim at will, is one of the best passers in the game, plays decent defense, and is one of the two best ball handlers in basketball, alongside Kyrie Irving. Anyone who has ever been in a gym playing with or against guys who only know how to shoot 3s knows it can be an absolutely miserable experience. But that's not Steph. He's a complete player.

I think Jackson is pretty obviously saying what we all know: no one is Steph. There's so much more to the game than just shooting 3s, but that gets disregarded because of the highlights he provides. I'm not saying I agree with it, because that's just how basketball goes. The game changes. Great teams can shoot 3 pointers now. That's the current trend, and that's how you win. But in no way, to me, does this comment come across as bitter. He's totally right with his premise - you need to develop an entire game. But I think his language of using "he's hurting basketball," is just a little too harsh. Steph Curry is the most exciting player on the most exciting team in the NBA. He's far from hurting the game, but I know what Jackson is saying.

DboneG
12-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Mark Jackson was correct in his assessment. Curry is hurting the game because he shoot a ton of ill advised shots. If it were anybody else, with exception of maybe two or three guys in the NBA, they would be on the bench. I'm in Chicago, I like Mark Jackson see a ton of kids chucking the ball up from the three point line. No good form, no strength to make the shot with consistency. These kids can't shoot the ball from 6ft. with consistency. But, there they go throwing the ball up from the 3 point line. lol. It's crazy.

Allen Iverson hurt the game when he came in with his gun em' up style of play. Shoot, shoot, shoot no pass style of play. Now, almost every point guard that comes in the NBA has adapted this style of play.

Dennis Rodman hurt the game with all of the tattoos.

Don't know who was the first guy to dunked the ball and proceeded to hang all on the rim. HE HURT THE GAME! Now, we have guys dunking, twisting and turning on the rim!

Don't know who was the first guy to fall down and take a charge. Then, act like he got hurt. HE HURT THE GAME! Now we have guys today that don't play defence, but, step in the offensive players way and take a charge. SAD

PowerHouse
12-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Mark Jackson was correct in his assessment. Curry is hurting the game because he shoot a ton of ill advised shots. If it were anybody else, with exception of maybe two or three guys in the NBA, they would be on the bench. I'm in Chicago, I like Mark Jackson see a ton of kids chucking the ball up from the three point line. No good form, no strength to make the shot with consistency. These kids can't shoot the ball from 6ft. with consistency. But, there they go throwing the ball up from the 3 point line. lol. It's crazy.

Allen Iverson hurt the game when he came in with his gun em' up style of play. Shoot, shoot, shoot no pass style of play. Now, almost every point guard that comes in the NBA has adapted this style of play.

Dennis Rodman hurt the game with all of the tattoos.

Don't know who was the first guy to dunked the ball and proceeded to hang all on the rim. HE HURT THE GAME! Now, we have guys dunking, twisting and turning on the rim!

Don't know who was the first guy to fall down and take a charge. Then, act like he got hurt. HE HURT THE GAME! Now we have guys today that don't play defence, but, step in the offensive players way and take a charge. SAD

If the league got "hurt" this often then why hasn't it dissolved or turned into a niche sport? Why are revenues and popularity higher than ever? I think the word hurt is being thrown around loosely and incorrectly in Mark Jackson's assessment and in this thread.

They are not "ill advised" shots for Curry, if they were then he wouldn't be shooting a .445 percentage from 3pt.

Are they ill advised for kids to shoot them? Probably, but they shoot them a lot because they're kids. That's what kids do until they are in an organized league and have coaches teach them about the right and wrong times for shooting 3s and other fundamentals. From Bird to Miller to Allen to Curry every era has a prolific 3 point shooter that gains popularity with kids and kids cant play like masters of fundamentals until they are taught. Its natural for kids to do things that make you shake your head because they havent learned yet, but they can with the right coaching.

PowerHouse
12-28-2015, 05:21 PM
I think Mark Jackson's real beef is with the guy that created the 3 point line more than Curry. Its absurd to demonize a guy for simply taking advantage of the things he does well. I mean if it weren't for the 3 point line, does a guy like Curry even make it into the league? Probably not. A guy has a right to earn a living.

DboneG
12-28-2015, 10:32 PM
If the league got "hurt" this often then why hasn't it dissolved or turned into a niche sport? Why are revenues and popularity higher than ever? I think the word hurt is being thrown around loosely and incorrectly in Mark Jackson's assessment and in this thread.

They are not "ill advised" shots for Curry, if they were then he wouldn't be shooting a .445 percentage from 3pt.

Are they ill advised for kids to shoot them? Probably, but they shoot them a lot because they're kids. That's what kids do until they are in an organized league and have coaches teach them about the right and wrong times for shooting 3s and other fundamentals. From Bird to Miller to Allen to Curry every era has a prolific 3 point shooter that gains popularity with kids and kids cant play like masters of fundamentals until they are taught. Its natural for kids to do things that make you shake your head because they havent learned yet, but they can with the right coaching.

"If the league got "hurt" this often then why hasn't it dissolved or turned into a niche sport?"

Because of great players that carried the league...Magic, Bird, M.J., just to name a few. Also, because of a brilliant marketing strategy, that's in full force today. The NBA market their league like none other.

" I think the word hurt is being thrown around loosely and incorrectly in Mark Jackson's assessment and in this thread."

Again, Mark Jackson is correct. ...He's hurting the game. He can't post anybody, he don't have great defence. Curry has NEVER shot over 50% from the field. OHHHH! But, he can shoot 3pt.

"They are not "ill advised" shots for Curry, if they were then he wouldn't be shooting a .445 percentage from 3pt."

Curry chucked up a bad 3 is what caused Mark Jackson to make the comments he made. Curry had to be two or three feet from the line, with a guy on him! That's ill advised. LOL I guess he thought he was at the park playing a pick-up game, shoot around, or a summer league game. Curry often take bad shots in a game. Curry is a child prodigy like Tiger Woods.

PowerHouse
12-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Because of great players that carried the league...Magic, Bird, M.J., just to name a few. Also, because of a brilliant marketing strategy, that's in full force today. The NBA market their league like none other.

This is true, you can add Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, AD, etc. So therefore great players keep coming into the league and will continue to do so, which conflicts with Jackson's point where I believe he's saying kids will turn into future players and the future players will weaken the league because they arent learning the right things. But they will learn right once they get their first chew-out from their first coach.

Again, Mark Jackson is correct. ...He's hurting the game. He can't post anybody

Thats not expected form a 6'2 PG.

he don't have great defence.

This is true, he isnt the total package. But total packages only come around maybe once every 20 years.

Curry has NEVER shot over 50% from the field. OHHHH! But, he can shoot 3pt.

But he is. He's shooting .513 this year. Its possible he doesnt sustain it over .500 for the year but I think he will.

*Silver&Black*
12-29-2015, 01:06 AM
The only thing he's hurting is that mouthpiece he stays chewing on.

For real though, why do you have one if you just chew on the damn thing all game. Trying to look cool?

Gander13SM
12-29-2015, 07:19 AM
As I said before. People forget this is the way it's always been.

Excessive dribbling and dribble moves were frowned upon. When people started doing them the majority said it would hurt the game, ruin the sport. It was classless and unsportsmanlike. But it was a natural evolution after they stopped using old football's for the game and sorted out the stitching so the ball could actually be dribbled.

Then it was dunks. Nobody liked them, they weren't allowed. They were seen as unsportsmanlike and overly flashy. Now its the reason a lot of casual fans even bother tuning in.

...and fast forward to today, it's the turn of the 3 point shoot and perimeter players leading the league in scoring.

Get over it already. Move with it. The game is evolving like it always has. And if history has taught us anything. It's that these stages of evolution have only improved the game and exist solely to make it better.

Scoots
12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Why do people keep saying Curry doesn't play D? He lead the NBA in steals last year and he's 3rd this year. And while steals are not all there is to defense it still means he is playing D.

Curry isn't cat quick, he's not long, and he's not bulky ... there is an actual physical limit to what he can do on D. He fights over screens, he stays in front of his man, he re-directs ... he is a significant contributor on defense for the Warriors.

All that said, he's not a great defender ... but he's not bad either.

Just because I was talking about steals ... what is the difference between a block and a steal? A block doesn't result in your team having the ball. A block is counted when a defense player touches the ball and disrupts the shot ... maybe "blocks recovered" should be a recorded stat for the public ... I know some teams keep "deflections" stats to go with "deflections recovered" also known as a steal :)

tredigs
12-29-2015, 11:28 AM
As I said before. People forget this is the way it's always been.

Excessive dribbling and dribble moves were frowned upon. When people started doing them the majority said it would hurt the game, ruin the sport. It was classless and unsportsmanlike. But it was a natural evolution after they stopped using old football's for the game and sorted out the stitching so the ball could actually be dribbled.

Then it was dunks. Nobody liked them, they weren't allowed. They were seen as unsportsmanlike and overly flashy. Now its the reason a lot of casual fans even bother tuning in.

...and fast forward to today, it's the turn of the 3 point shoot and perimeter players leading the league in scoring.

Get over it already. Move with it. The game is evolving like it always has. And if history has taught us anything. It's that these stages of evolution have only improved the game and exist solely to make it better.
This is news to me. They used old footballs? Doesn't make sense.

A vast majority of the difference in dribbling from way back yonder is because of the fact that you can "carry" the ball now. Dribbling in the olden days had to be up and down, anything else was ruled a turnover. That's part of why it looks funky to watch old tape from the 50's and 60's.

PowerHouse
12-29-2015, 04:02 PM

A vast majority of the difference in dribbling from way back yonder is because of the fact that you can "carry" the ball now. Dribbling in the olden days had to be up and down, anything else was ruled a turnover. That's part of why it looks funky to watch old tape from the 50's and 60's.

He's talking about basketballs from waaaaay back in the day that had stitching like a football. Like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/4FMAAOxyzqdTeZ~R/$_1.JPG

Gander13SM
12-29-2015, 04:08 PM

Yeah. They did. The stitching would protrude and made dribbling nigh on impossible because it could take a funny bounce and go anywhere.

And you're right about carrying. But dribbling moves in general were heavily frowned upon for a long time. Pre 1940s you wouldn't see any. Early-mid 1940s very little. And slowly it began to build up from there (as the quality of basketballs actually improved as well)

G_S_W
12-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Mark Jackson so salty!

He should learn to forgive. You know, like a christian.

Gander13SM
12-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Mark Jackson so salty!

He should learn to forgive. You know, like a christian.

Who would have thought such a strong religious, god fearing man with a love for prostitutes would be such a hypocritical douche.

tredigs
12-29-2015, 04:33 PM
He's talking about basketballs from waaaaay back in the day that had stitching like a football. Like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/4FMAAOxyzqdTeZ~R/$_1.JPG

Yeah. They did. The stitching would protrude and made dribbling nigh on impossible because it could take a funny bounce and go anywhere.

And you're right about carrying. But dribbling moves in general were heavily frowned upon for a long time. Pre 1940s you wouldn't see any. Early-mid 1940s very little. And slowly it began to build up from there (as the quality of basketballs actually improved as well)
That is hilarious. I've never seen this.

G_S_W
12-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Who would have thought such a strong religious, god fearing man with a love for prostitutes would be such a hypocritical douche.

MJ's a real piece of work, isn't he?

1. Preacher man cheated on his wife,

2. got extorted by his mistress,

3. then had to run to ownership to cover his ***. Yeah, the same ownership team he completely alienated covered for him and contacted the FBI to get rid of the extortion plot mistress.

4. MJ threw festus ezeli under the bus

5. throws Steph under the bus.

How does this slimeball continue to make millions of dollars? It's a disgrace.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Warriors-Mark-Jackson-has-2-strikes-against-him-3690814.php

http://www.warriorsworld.net/2015/06/22/warriors-news-mark-jackson-lied-team-festus-ezeli/

DboneG
12-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by DboneG View Post
Again, Mark Jackson is correct. ...He's hurting the game. He can't post anybody

"Thats not expected form a 6'2 PG."

Mark Jackson use to post up guards all the time. It's just part of being a complete player. A point guard is not expected to post guys up, but, still they should know how. Curry should be able to post Kyle Lowry, Ty Lawson, Isaiah Thomas, Darren Collison, JJ Barea, Aaron Brooks, Jameer Nelson, Chris Paul, Isaiah Canaan, if the opportunity presents itself. If these guys are on the floor and if you can post them up. Do it!

blahblahyoutoo
12-29-2015, 07:44 PM
"Thats not expected form a 6'2 PG."

Mark Jackson use to post up guards all the time. It's just being a complete player. A point guard is not expected to post guys up, but, still they should know how. Curry should be able to post Kyle Lowry, Ty Lawson, Isaiah Thomas, Darren Collison, JJ Barea, Aaron Brooks, Jameer Nelson, Chris Paul, Isaiah Canaan, if the opportunity presents itself. If these guys are on the floor and if you can post them up. Do it!

why when he can beat them 50 other ways?

G_S_W
12-30-2015, 03:24 AM
How is this scumbag Jackson still employed in any way shape or form in any capacity in any association with the nba? He's a proven liar, hypocrite and general low life.

There are some fantastic analysts who would be far better suited for the role of broadcaster: hubie brown and doug collins come to mind immediately. Both are very experienced and highly intelligent. You actually have the opportunity to learn about the game from an actual game.

Instead we have jackson with nothing more than stupid catch phrases thrown out ad nauseum: "mama dere goes da man."

Scoots
12-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Mark Jackson use to post up guards all the time.

And it was so boring and such bad basketball to watch that they changed the rules to stop it.

aman_13
12-30-2015, 01:38 PM
the fact that curry himself says he's not sure what jackson meant and that he has to axe him is very telling.
you would think a former coach and his all star player would have a better relationship than that. it appears there's some bitterness or even animosity here.

and it's not like curry wasn't taking this "bad for basketball" shots when Jackson was coaching. where was the negative criticism then?
hater's gon hate.

So you are just going to ignore the Curry quote I posted? This is not hard to put together. There is no hate here.

blahblahyoutoo
12-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Instead we have jackson with nothing more than stupid catch phrases thrown out ad nauseum: "mama dere goes da man."

what does that even mean? i've never heard that phrase used before other than from him. i guess i'm not "ethnic" enough.

blahblahyoutoo
12-30-2015, 04:59 PM
So you are just going to ignore the Curry quote I posted? This is not hard to put together. There is no hate here.

didn't ignore it like how you ignored mine. steph says he "thinks" he means well but still needs an explanation. not exactly an endorsing reply from steph.

Scoots
12-30-2015, 05:23 PM
When I saw that Curry was named AP Male Athlete of the Year my first thought was "I thought Harden was the real Male Athlete of the Year" ... just made me smile :)

On topic:

Every great player gets copycats ... not just in kids but at every level. Curry has made it okay to take 10+ 3s every game so more players are doing it. Boogie took 8 3s last year TOTAL, he saw what Curry was doing with the 3 and wants to join in so he's taken 86 already this year.

Players in other sports are watching too ... The Warriors finally lost a game so the Panthers felt they had to lose too!

And I'm sure having professional athletes be open about their love for their wives and families and exhibit a non-pushy version of being a devout follower of a religion and being respectful of the press and others they work with and around ... that would be a TERRIBLE thing for people to emulate.

He's not just ruining the game ... he's ruining the world!

CHANGO
12-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Did anyone here read the full quote?

To a degree, he’s hurting the game. And what I mean by that is I go into these high school gyms, I watch these kids and the first thing they do is run to the three-point line. You are not Steph Curry. Work on your other aspects of the game. People think that he’s just a knockdown shooter. That’s not why he’s the MVP. He’s a complete basketball player.

I don't see this as a knock on Curry at all, I think that is a compliment as how he says that Steph is a complete basketball player. Maybe the "hurting the game" part catch some people off guard and aren't the best choice of words, but I agree with him. Work on all the fundamentals.

aman_13
12-30-2015, 07:57 PM
didn't ignore it like how you ignored mine. steph says he "thinks" he means well but still needs an explanation. not exactly an endorsing reply from steph.

Of course he's not going to get an endorsing reply. He didn't understand what Jackson meant because he didn't hear the entire explanation.

This is what he said after he heard the whole thing.

“After I heard all of what he was talking about, I understand where he’s coming from – that being for the youth of today and how they watch us play or watch me in particular, and they want to go out and try to do the same thing,” Curry said Saturday. “It’s all about practice and routine and repetition that can help you get to that point, so you can’t skip that part of the process.

“I wish he would have phrased it just a little bit differently. I think I’m trying to inspire people to see the game differently in a positive way…I get what he was saying. There was a compliment in there. Knowing him personally, I think that’s what he meant.”

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/12/27/stephen-curry-trying-to-take-mark-jacksons-comments-as-compliment/

aman_13
12-30-2015, 07:58 PM
null

Exactly.

Saddletramp
12-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Did anyone here read the full quote?

I don't see this as a knock on Curry at all, I think that is a compliment as how he says that Steph is a complete basketball player. Maybe the "hurting the game" part catch some people off guard and aren't the best choice of words, but I agree with him. Work on all the fundamentals.

When I heard him saying it, this is exactly what I thought. I saw a "highlight" from a high school game the other day where a team kept jacking up three point shots in the middle of a game and got about 5 or 6 rebounds and kept dribbling back to the three point line to jack up another Curry type shot. I do think that the serious young players are doing this less than the dopes that just want the highlight shot every chance they get.

IKnowHoops
12-31-2015, 02:35 AM

Well I agree it was hard work, but I don't agree that every 5'9" kid who works as hard as Curry will go pro. You have to work hard, you have to work smart, and you have to be taller than 5'9", and you would most likely need to be coached by an ex NBA 3pt specialist to become what Curry has become.

IKnowHoops
12-31-2015, 02:36 AM

LOL No!

IKnowHoops
12-31-2015, 02:38 AM
no, not even close.
allen's degree of difficulty on his shots is no where near curry's.
he doesn't shake defenders to get his shot off. he usually runs off curls and screens and is a set shooter, not off the dribble.
he's not the primary ball handler probably because his handle is nowhere near as good.
he's not as versatile as curry, meaning he doesn't go to the rim and finish as well as curry does.
he doesn't pass anywhere near as well as curry.
he doesn't have the range that curry does.
and he's also taller which makes it easier for him to get his shot off.

allen is closer to korver than he is to curry.

Young Ray would just dunk on you at the rim. Ray could finish at the rim as well if not better than Curry. He was faster and more athletic than Curry with a higher Vert.

Vee-Rex
12-31-2015, 03:33 PM

I watched a ton of young Ray and he wasn't like Curry. Curry is unlike anyone in the history of the game. His impact is like the inversion of Shaq's impact. Guys are forced to collapse harder and faster on his PnRs than anyone else - and the reason is because he'll dominate from the outside. He's not the GOAT but if he continues this level of play for awhile and win more rings he'll certainly be in consideration.

Ray never affected the game like this, especially not with this off-dribble shooting. The scary part about Curry is that his style of play ages like fine wine. When he gets old his legs will give in faster and his shooting won't be as efficient as a result, but his style of play COULD prevent this from happening for another decade to be honest.

SfgiantsJD3
12-31-2015, 03:42 PM
The good thing for the NBA is skills can be learned, height cannot so more skilled players is good for the league

Allphakenny1
12-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Well I agree it was hard work, but I don't agree that every 5'9" kid who works as hard as Curry will go pro. You have to work hard, you have to work smart, and you have to be taller than 5'9", and you would most likely need to be coached by an ex NBA 3pt specialist to become what Curry has become.

I never said any 5'9 kid who worked hard could be in the NBA, but that it is not impossible.

Gander13SM
12-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Any 5'9 kid has better odds of developing a skillset reminiscent of Curry than they do of being 7ft or as athletic as LeBron or Westbrook.

Sorry. But as I said before. A "small" guy who's game is predicated mostly on pure skill dominating an entire league filled with people who won the genetic lottery... well. He's not hurting the league.

If anything he's inspiring kids to become skilled instead of strong and fast. That can only be a good thing.

slashsnake
01-01-2016, 04:00 AM
I thought Jordan, Nique, and Vince were ruining the NBA by teaching highlight film dunking over Bird fundamentals and shooting.

Kind of funny to hear that, sounds like a lover spurned.

I see the rest of the quote but that is true of EVERYONE... Just as Curry wouldn't be MVP without being a complete basketball player, there's no way he's in the conversation without being a knockdown shooter either. If you aren't a complete basketball player, being able to knock down 3's isn't a bad skill to have either. Just ask Korver and Bonner lol.

Look when you go watch kids play, 99% of them aren't going out and just working on fundamentals all day. I'd much rather see them learning to shoot than working on their Kenny Walker/Harold Miner/Isiah Rider game. Or their Iverson game.

ewing
01-01-2016, 05:36 PM
I thought Jordan, Nique, and Vince were ruining the NBA by teaching highlight film dunking over Bird fundamentals and shooting.

Kind of funny to hear that, sounds like a lover spurned.

I see the rest of the quote but that is true of EVERYONE... Just as Curry wouldn't be MVP without being a complete basketball player, there's no way he's in the conversation without being a knockdown shooter either. If you aren't a complete basketball player, being able to knock down 3's isn't a bad skill to have either. Just ask Korver and Bonner lol.

Look when you go watch kids play, 99% of them aren't going out and just working on fundamentals all day. I'd much rather see them learning to shoot than working on their Kenny Walker/Harold Miner/Isiah Rider game. Or their Iverson game.

Isiah Rider was skilled he was just a clown

G_S_W
01-01-2016, 06:32 PM
MJ's douchebaggery aside, I've also been reluctant to embrace the 3 as such an integral component of the game.

I have long thought of it as a gimmick and tilts the game so far in favor of the 3 ball that basketball simply becomes 3ball. I have seen this happen at every level: high school, college and of course at the pro level.

It's here to stay, but the bias towards 3 point shooting is so strong that in the future we won't be seeing much else aside from 3 pt shooting contests.