PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James' Outside Shot Ranks as Top 5 WORST in the NBA

Nikeman
12-26-2015, 05:05 AM
What's going on with this dude. Under 26% from 3 pt percentage, 35% on shots outside the paint? As of Dec 16th, LeBron ranked in the top 5 of WORST percentages outside the paint.

http://www.sportal.co.nz/nba/james-playing-without-a-jumper/3e65ta749l671wzekaxt4ifti

"He shot 26.8 percent from outside the paint in the 2015 playoffs, the worst mark of his postseason career."

Just watching the Warriors game, it seems like he doesn't even wanna shoot from outside anymore, and its a bailout when he takes a jumpshot, and his shots don't even seem close.

ewing
12-26-2015, 08:34 AM
i blame his teammates

Gander13SM
12-26-2015, 08:40 AM
It's really strange. I've seen arguments from people saying it's because he's not in the Heats system anymore which I think is just absolute B.S

But I don't see how it could be an age thing.

I really don't know. Maybe a Cavs fan can enlighten us.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-26-2015, 08:42 AM
he never had a good jumpshot to begin with

KnicksorBust
12-26-2015, 08:57 AM
His decline is backward. His athletecism and ability to finish at the rim are fine but his jumper is going. What?

ghettosean
12-26-2015, 11:11 AM
he never had a good jumpshot to begin with

This! He's a bull towards to basket type of player he was never a good jump shooter. He should stick to the post moves he developed in Miami to keep his percentage up if he wants to turn this around.

Gander13SM
12-26-2015, 11:19 AM
This! He's a bull towards to basket type of player he was never a good jump shooter. He should stick to the post moves he developed in Miami to keep his percentage up if he wants to turn this around.

His driving is actually pretty basic, he doesn't change direction uber quick or anything it's just one direction, on a line, head down and finish.

There was a point last night when he was matched up against Steph and instead of driving he took a fade away 3.

I don't think he has faith in his handles if I'm honest.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-26-2015, 12:48 PM
His first step or his faith in his first step has declined. I saw several plays yesterday where he had a chance to drive by a guy 1 on 1 and he had issues or declined to do so. So now teams may not give him as much space to shoot outside. Yesterday he had a 1 on 1 break against a smaller opponent. In the past he would have just went hard for the hoop. Instead he tried to ward the guy off with his arm first b ut when that did not work, he dropped the ball off to a covered teammate. This is not a put down of Lebron. He has played a ton of minutes for many years. We all get older and slower. It is just part of life.

D-Leethal
12-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Dudes that used to point to his percentages in the mid range or deep 2s or 3s to claim he was a pretty good shooter were idiots. He has never been a good shooter. He was just a very smart player, good at picking his spots, and so damn good at driving the ball he was barely ever contested in those areas. He has lost that driving ability a bit so guys can actually contest those shots without getting burned every single time by his driving ability. He has less breathing room on those Js and LeBron has always had a fragile mindset - once he loses his confidence he doesn't just snap his fingers and get it back too easily.

Vee-Rex
12-26-2015, 01:30 PM
His first step is much slower. He was never really a skilled player and relied on his speed and athleticism. His jump shooting has never been good.

Also, LeBron has the mental fortitude of a child. I think that's a major component behind the fluctuations of his shooting % outside the paint. With the exception of a few games in his career, I think he's mentally affected when playing high-profile games.

He's obviously CAPABLE of shooting average numbers outside the paint, so a lot of it has got to be mental.

bucketss
12-26-2015, 01:36 PM
his ball handling seems a bit suspect as well

sep11ie
12-26-2015, 01:39 PM
His shot has sucked ever since James Harden kicked him where his dick should be.

Teeboy1487
12-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Lebron was never a good shooter anyway. Always between mediocre to average. What Lebron is weak at more than anything is his footwork. He is lucky he gets away with so many travels. I would like to see Lebron post more and work on his footwork. Its all about fundamentals

minato_17
12-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Lebron should be be posting more i guess? With his size he could bully any defender put on him. He will figure that out. And also he could pass from the post with that vision of his. Drive and kick less post up more. That should improve his numbers on a shooting standpoint.

Tony_Starks
12-26-2015, 05:54 PM
This is news? His jumper has always been more suspect than Odell Beckham....

Munkeysuit
12-26-2015, 06:27 PM
25,597 points and counting...you don't get that much points making layups and free throws and let's not forget he surpassed one of the all time greatest shooters in NBA history in points totaled in Reggie Miller. I am not trying to validate that Lebron is a great shooter, his shooting percentage may not be up there amongst the greats and honestly? it never will! but we are really nit-picking here, what is this statement in contrast to anyhow? his shooting percentage while with the Heat? do you realize how much "less" he shot the ball in Miami? do you realize "where" he usually shot the ball and the spots he got the ball?
His stint in Miami produced those steady averages mostly because of their system and the amount of help he's had with playmaking duties, he didn't have to do it all there and thats beside the fact that he was playing with a far more competent coaching staff and management. Lebron is such an easy target when it comes to stating deficiencies and short comings to his game, I understand why people feel the need to state those things and criticize him for it, but there is a few thing about Lebron James that can never be discredited, and that he's a 2 time NBA champion, 4 time MVP and he is currently the favorite player and shining example to some kid out there that will some day become the next "darling" of the NBA and one of the greatest to ever do it.

jsthornton7
12-26-2015, 06:38 PM
25,597 points and counting...you don't get that much points making layups and free throws and let's not forget he surpassed one of the all time greatest shooters in NBA history in points totaled in Reggie Miller. I am not trying to validate that Lebron is a great shooter, his shooting percentage may not be up there amongst the greats and honestly? it never will! but we are really nit-picking here, what is this statement in contrast to anyhow? his shooting percentage while with the Heat? do you realize how much "less" he shot the ball in Miami? do you realize "where" he usually shot the ball and the spots he got the ball?
His stint in Miami produced those steady averages mostly because of their system and the amount of help he's had with playmaking duties, he didn't have to do it all there and thats beside the fact that he was playing with a far more competent coaching staff and management. Lebron is such an easy target when it comes to stating deficiencies and short comings to his game, I understand why people feel the need to state those things and criticize him for it, but there is a few thing about Lebron James that can never be discredited, and that he's a 2 time NBA champion, 4 time MVP and he is currently the favorite player and shining example to some kid out there that will some day become the next "darling" of the NBA and one of the greatest to ever do it.

Agreed.

It's really tiring to see every player getting torn down all the time. So he is shooting a low percentage, so what? He has always been a great leader and will go down as one of the best.

More-Than-Most
12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
he has never been great from the 3... Everyone thought he would decline but this year he has been a top 3 player. Outside of a few years he has always been around the 31-33 percent mark from 3.

tdg823
12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Funny, I tried making this point a few years ago and got shouted down by all his adoring fans. This thread highlights how he's been an average to below average shooter for what, 70-75% of his career and mentions, without any challenge, that his handles, footwork, mental fortitude and more broadly (but accurately) his "skills" are either lacking or nothing special. Pretend you're an alien from another planet, just learned about basketball generally and hear about this player of whom we speak. Then you hear that he's the greatest ballplayer many of us here have ever seen. How confused would you be?

tdg823
12-26-2015, 09:11 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?805173-Is-LeBron-an-elite-shooter-now

Funny thread in hindsight...

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Lol at all the posts who said he's always sucked. obviously not his strength if you are talking his whole career but he was near the top for a few years. Just because he's been bad this year doesn't suddenly change what he did for a few years as one of the better shooters in the league.

tdg823
12-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Do we judge a game by one quarter or the whole game? He's always been average to below average. The 2-3 years he did do good were the outlier, the anomaly. He's got some years left, maybe he'll reverse trajectory and prove me wrong, but if he retired today, what would the verdict on his J be? And if it continues to decline or stay at this rate for 3-5 years, what will be the final verdict then? What do you project as the prospects for his J going forward?

jerellh528
12-26-2015, 10:25 PM
He could shoot better when he wants, he's done it in the past. Right now he's just coasting till the finals. He's easily one of the best long range shooters in the league.

basch152
12-26-2015, 11:48 PM
He could shoot better when he wants, he's done it in the past. Right now he's just coasting till the finals. He's easily one of the best long range shooters in the league.

Lol...definitely not one of the best long range shooters.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2015, 11:54 PM
If Rubio met the minimum attempts he would be running away with that haha

giantspwn
12-27-2015, 12:54 AM
Once Irving gets completely healthy and Love catches up with his conditioning. If the Cavs could ever get him a consistent supporting staff, Brons outside percentages would be elite.

Sadds The Gr8
12-27-2015, 01:12 AM
He was awful last year too

Sadds The Gr8
12-27-2015, 01:13 AM
Lol at all the posts who said he's always sucked. obviously not his strength if you are talking his whole career but he was near the top for a few years. Just because he's been bad this year doesn't suddenly change what he did for a few years as one of the better shooters in the league.
Wasn't he one of the best mid-rangers when he was on Miami? I remember him being ranked above like melo or something

Chronz
12-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Bron was a great shooter in a manner similar to tmac, they relied on their legs to do most of the heavy lifting, tmac always had this flat trajectory but it worked when he could rise over the top of guys, not so much after tho.

You guys can't rewrite history, he used to be a very good shooter, mechanics don't offset effectiveness

shep33
12-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Still a beast lol. And the best player in the nba still. He beat the Warriors twice last year, not the cavs.

IndyRealist
12-27-2015, 01:25 PM
*cough* HGH *cough*

ewing
12-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Once Irving gets completely healthy and Love catches up with his conditioning. If the Cavs could ever get him a consistent supporting staff, Brons outside percentages would be elite.

exactly, he misses jump shots b/c of his teammates.

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2015, 02:42 PM
LBJ may not have been comfortable shooting anywhere on the court, but in Miami, when he was picking and choosing where he shot from due to the attention defenses had to pay to Wade and Bosh, he shot VERY well.

He shot over 40% from behind the arc! I' not sure why he's at .250 this year. That is bizarre, but he shouldn't be taking 4 treys a game if he's shooting that badly.

This is a weird season for him. Last time he took 20.1 shots a game (his last year before the jump to Miami), he was scoring almost 30 a game; now he's not even hitting 26 (though he did get to the line more in 09/10).

His rebounding is also down, though his assists are up.

It seems odd. It's like it was in the finals where he's the only legit scoring option; Love has been playing all season, and Delladova and Smith are hitting 3's at a respectable rate, so the floor is being spread.

I dunno.... I hope he returns to form soon though.

dhopisthename
12-27-2015, 02:56 PM
his numbers sure are worrisome.

Scoots
12-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Maybe Iguodala showed that you can contest everything on him now, don't double team him as much and he doesn't hurt you as much with his passing, wear him down, don't give him outlets and he takes more contested shots and his percentage suffers.

He's still awesome when he can play his game ... it's just that his opportunities to maximize his game changing skills are getting minimized and his teammates have been struggling with less space as a result which in turn takes away some of LeBron's confidence in them.

I think ... maybe.

LA_Raiders
12-27-2015, 06:18 PM
He is in decline, that's it. Dude looks tired and unmotivated at times. He may not care on regular season stats anymore... I can see him come back strong on POffs..

Hawkeye15
12-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Now that the certainty of him blowing by you isn't there anymore (he still kills you if you give him any head of steam), teams can now play him much tighter in space, so he isn't getting the wide open looks he was getting when his percentages were up.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 01:03 AM
Maybe Iguodala showed that you can contest everything on him now, don't double team him as much and he doesn't hurt you as much with his passing, wear him down, don't give him outlets and he takes more contested shots and his percentage suffers.

He's still awesome when he can play his game ... it's just that his opportunities to maximize his game changing skills are getting minimized and his teammates have been struggling with less space as a result which in turn takes away some of LeBron's confidence in them.

I think ... maybe.

Doubtful, hes missing all sorts of shots he used to hit at a higher level, be it wide open or contested, hes worse at them all now. But what do you mean not double? Teams only double him on the drive or in the post, they always have, been that way for a very long time now, he just cant beat the doubles the way he used to. In the triple stance, he used to be alot more deadly.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 01:06 AM
Now that the certainty of him blowing by you isn't there anymore (he still kills you if you give him any head of steam), teams can now play him much tighter in space, so he isn't getting the wide open looks he was getting when his percentages were up.

Except hes not even hitting the wide open ones anymore, thats really not the issue here. Its that hes a 2-phase (maybe 3 phase) shooter, he requires alot of leg work. Its similar to how Kobe has struggled with wide open shots as well. The legs just arent the same, the upper body strength is but that takes more accuracy, guys who have a single motion shot are the ones who last longer IMO.

McAllen Tx
12-28-2015, 01:11 AM
And yet he's gonna make his 6th STRAIGHT Finals appearance.

Hawkeye15
12-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Except hes not even hitting the wide open ones anymore, thats really not the issue here. Its that hes a 2-phase (maybe 3 phase) shooter, he requires alot of leg work. Its similar to how Kobe has struggled with wide open shots as well. The legs just arent the same, the upper body strength is but that takes more accuracy, guys who have a single motion shot are the ones who last longer IMO.

Yes, his form requires a lot of bounce on his jumper, and after a million minutes by age 30, it's tough.

I do think he gets better, but his range has now slipped to the point where his decline will be so obvious, despite a 26-7-7 line.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 02:16 AM
Yes, his form requires a lot of bounce on his jumper, and after a million minutes by age 30, it's tough.

I do think he gets better, but his range has now slipped to the point where his decline will be so obvious, despite a 26-7-7 line.

Dont get me wrong, hes definitely lost a step and Im sure thats probably forced more contested jumpers (Ill check later) but that usually effects your efficiency in the paint more than anything. Lots of guys lost the threat of the drive and retained their wide open efficiency. I think it depends more on form than anything.