PDA

View Full Version : If after Kobe retires then who can the Lakers build around?

Tg11
12-25-2015, 04:21 PM
If anything after Kobe inevitably retires after this season it begs the question of where the Lakers go from here? Who do they build around especially if they want to be contenders next season? Because from the looks of things this season it doesn't look like the Lakers will be doing much except being a lottery team in the 2016 NBA Draft unless the Lakers they build around youth but by doing that they could eventually become an elite team again but what is needed is the right pieces first and foremost

DanG
12-25-2015, 04:54 PM
We are not contending next year unless we trade our pick and somehow get Durant AND Whiteside via free agency. Most likely we'll build around Russell-Clarkson-Randle, which isn't bad because they all have all-star potential. Russell is obviously the biggest question mark at this point, but he is only 19 and definitely needs time. You just never know, but I think it will take us 2-3 years to get back in to the playoffs.

kobe4thewinbang
12-25-2015, 06:38 PM
How far they've fallen, and such identity confusion as a team. Having Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni, and a hodgepodge of talent will give a team vertigo. Obviously they are hoping Clarkson (most ready, I think), Randle (shows a spark of promise), and Russell (slowly inproving) will carry the future, but I question their compatibility and doubt they'll develop faster than a free agent or trade would impact the team. It's very cloudy in Lakerland. They need a vision, and a good coach. Oh and clueless Jim Buss needs to step down.

More-Than-Most
12-25-2015, 07:05 PM
The most talented player since Lebron James in Russ

I really really love some of their young talent... Russ/Clarkson... I am not as high on randle but russ and clarkson id sex... Also Nance is nice and soon to be ben simmons.

and before people say LAKERS FORUM... just stop... I hate the lakers/Knicks as much as the next guy but they are what is best for basketball and this deserves its own thread in my opinion

kobe4thewinbang
12-25-2015, 08:52 PM
The most talented player since Lebron James in Russ

I really really love some of their young talent... Russ/Clarkson... I am not as high on randle but russ and clarkson id sex... Also Nance is nice and soon to be ben simmons.

and before people say LAKERS FORUM... just stop... I hate the lakers/Knicks as much as the next guy but they are what is best for basketball and this deserves its own thread in my opinionWait, you think D-Lo is the most talented since LeBron? Then show me this talent. He's had 5 good games, if that.

JasonJohnHorn
12-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Kevin Durant and Dwight Howard, both of whom will sign with them this offseason ;-)

lol, please
12-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Swaggy-P.

More-Than-Most
12-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Wait, you think D-Lo is the most talented since LeBron? Then show me this talent. He's had 5 good games, if that.

why do people expect guys to come right out and be amazing and negate the situation around them... Him having 5 good games is irrelevant he has enormous potential... could he bust? sure... but the potential for him to be the best PG in the league down the line is there... Give the kid more than 30 games jesus.

cmellofan15
12-25-2015, 11:21 PM
hahahahahaha Deangelo Russell is the most talented since LeBron? That's ****ing hilarious. Funnier than any joke I came in here to post lmao.

Ty22Mitchell
12-25-2015, 11:43 PM
IMO, building around someone is step 2 or 3 in a rebuilding plan. Right now they're still in step 1, talent acquisition mode. Until step 1 yields a superstar (like a legit one) they really can't begin to craft a team.

I have to be honest though. The longer it takes to develop talent, the more I think they're better off putting together a team that can compete for a playoff spot (seed 7 or 8) in the west. From my experience , they're not going to attack a superstar if they're not in the playoffs.

tsubibo
12-26-2015, 12:00 AM
hahahahahaha Deangelo Russell is the most talented since LeBron? That's ****ing hilarious. Funnier than any joke I came in here to post lmao.

Have to agree with this one. Lol. So the Lakers may have a steal worthy of Kobe Bryant again. Lol.

Gander13SM
12-26-2015, 08:50 AM

Have to agree with this. What a ludicrous thing to say.

Anyway, Lakers aren't building around any of these guys imo. They have to spend another 3-4 seasons developing g them and either find a star in the draft or trade these guys when they start getting real good in a package deal for a franchise player.

Either way, don't expect to see them in the playoffs for another 4 years or so, let alone finals.

Badluck33
12-26-2015, 11:02 AM
please let it be derrick rose!

Tg11
12-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Lakers will have to spend another 3 to 4 seasons at least to rebuild before they can even be seen as the league's best or one of the league's best but the Lakers have a bright future though

Yanks All Day
12-26-2015, 12:05 PM
The next face of the Lakers isn't on the Lakers yet. He's going to come via free agency.

Russell, Clarkson, Randle, etc. are all good role players. I don't see star potential in any of them. If I'm the Lakers, I'm hoping Russell Westbrook comes over in free agency and then decide how to make the guard combination work.

Tg11
12-26-2015, 12:08 PM
And you think any free agents are going to want to come over to the Lakers given the fact that they are more or less a losing team? They are not the elite team that they used to be not to negate that they don't have a bright future because they do with Russell, Clarkson, Nance Jr., Randle but they need to build around youth

mngopher35
12-26-2015, 03:44 PM
If they get Simmons that would be a fantastic group of young talent (its pretty good as is).If they sign Durant they would be good very fast. If they don't get lucky with a potential/current superstar then as others have said they are still just trying to get more assets. Right now they have Lou, Young, Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown on the books for next year. Russell and Randle I still think can be good players and Nance maybe a backup. If they get an offer of picks or young player for Lou/Young obviously that would be nice. Most likely just make the pick this off season and IMO then try to get value guys. Kind of like how NY did it but maybe be a little more conservative with the money.

What I mean by this is go for players like Batum, Al Jefferson, Noah, Ryan Anderson, Deng, Jeff Green, Zaza, Mozgov etc. but only sign them on cheap long term deals or on one year deals. I'm sure a good amount of them will get nice money with teams able to spend but still just take the ones who go for those types of offers (example if no one wants to pay Anderson near max like he supposedly wants, give him a 20 mil one year deal). This keeps flexibility moving forward for future FA and also adds some vets to help young guys and win a few games to be more attractive (once they win players will want to come). Not sure their thoughts on Clarkson so a Laker fan could maybe explain what will happen there. I am not sure if he will get big money offers or if they think he would be worth a lot to keep around with Russell. If they don't think they wanna re-sign him then maybe find a partner at the deadline for more assets.

Tg11
12-26-2015, 04:01 PM
If they get Simmons that would be a fantastic group of young talent (its pretty good as is).If they sign Durant they would be good very fast. If they don't get lucky with a potential/current superstar then as others have said they are still just trying to get more assets. Right now they have Lou, Young, Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown on the books for next year. Russell and Randle I still think can be good players and Nance maybe a backup. If they get an offer of picks or young player for Lou/Young obviously that would be nice. Most likely just make the pick this off season and IMO then try to get value guys. Kind of like how NY did it but maybe be a little more conservative with the money.

What I mean by this is go for players like Batum, Al Jefferson, Noah, Ryan Anderson, Deng, Jeff Green, Zaza, Mozgov etc. but only sign them on cheap long term deals or on one year deals. I'm sure a good amount of them will get nice money with teams able to spend but still just take the ones who go for those types of offers (example if no one wants to pay Anderson near max like he supposedly wants, give him a 20 mil one year deal). This keeps flexibility moving forward for future FA and also adds some vets to help young guys and win a few games to be more attractive (once they win players will want to come). Not sure their thoughts on Clarkson so a Laker fan could maybe explain what will happen there. I am not sure if he will get big money offers or if they think he would be worth a lot to keep around with Russell. If they don't think they wanna re-sign him then maybe find a partner at the deadline for more assets.

Yes if the Lakers can get Ben Simmons then he may just be what the Lakers need to rise back to prominence especially on top of that having Russell, Randle and Clarkson because Ben Simmons apparently is drawing comparisons to Lebron but only time will tell

lol, please
12-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Guess I am the only one still aboard the Swaggy-P hype train eh? :confused:

PowerHouse
12-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Swaggy-P.

Guess I am the only one still aboard the Swaggy-P hype train eh? :confused:

lol, please