PDA

View Full Version : Which of these guys do you take?

chi-townlove1
12-22-2015, 12:23 PM
I asked this question two years ago and the results were overwhelmingly in favorite of Klay Thompson. People weren't convinced Butler, George, or Leonard could sustain success. So two years later 3 of the 4 have developed into the stars of their respected teams. While Klay is an extremely talented number 2 option.

If you had to start a team today, where would you rank these four players in the order you would take them.

Mine would be -

Paul George
Kawhi Leanord
Jimmy Butler
Klay Thompson

kdspurman
12-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Kawhi
George
Butler
Klay

ewing
12-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Pg
kl
kt
jb

FraziersKnicks
12-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Kawhi
George
Butler
Klay

This should be most people's answer. I would like to hear an argument against this ranking.

chi-townlove1
12-22-2015, 12:38 PM
It's honestly a really intriguing question in my opinion. They are all so talented on offense and defense that it's ridiculous. They're all very similar and it's really eerie to think about how George,Leonard and Butler have progressed together. They all have continued to grow into absolute studs on both ends of the court. And Klay is no slouch. But I really think George extreme athleticism and ability to guard 1-5 makes him the most versatile and reliable player in the league outside of Lebron, KD, Steph and Davis.

Hawkeye15
12-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Kawhi
George
Butler
Klay

leaning this

Chronz
12-22-2015, 02:31 PM
what kdspurs said

Beltrans Mole
12-22-2015, 03:01 PM
I'd take Klay over Butler but all 4 very deserving, great players. Great question.

COOLbeans
12-22-2015, 03:17 PM
I remember people always limiting Klay Thompson on here. Not sure where he got the idea that Klay was heavily supported on here prior to last year as the OP states.

I remember most people not wanting to label Klay as a top 5 SG 2 years ago actually. Klay is the best SG in the league but a better player than the two above him on my list.

Kawhi
George
Klay
Butler

cmellofan15
12-22-2015, 03:23 PM
while I'm a huge fan of George I don't think there's any way you can rank him above Kawhi. dude is having an MVP type of season. it's unfortunate for him Steph Curry is having the type of year that he's been having tho lol.

Gander13SM
12-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Kawhi,
George,
Klay,
Butler

ManningToTyree
12-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Leonard
PG
Klay
Butler

If George didn't have the injury history I might put him first it's close. Klay and butler are extremely close as well

xbrackattackx
12-22-2015, 03:37 PM
I would take all 4 and get a shot blocker.

Klay
Jimmy
Leonard
PG
Shot Blocker

:)

72 Wins
12-22-2015, 03:40 PM
This....

Paul George
Kawhi Leanord
Jimmy Butler
Klay Thompson

MygirlhatesCod
12-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Kawhi Leanord
PG
Klay Thompson
Jimmy Butler

celticsman2009
12-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Paul George (not even close)

Kawhi Leonard
Klay Thompson
Jimmy Butler

mngopher35
12-22-2015, 04:20 PM
I have it

Kawhi
PG
Butler
Klay

I am surprised so many have Klay over Butler though, I think he is probably closer to PG than he is to Klay.

ewing
12-22-2015, 04:29 PM
while I'm a huge fan of George I don't think there's any way you can rank him above Kawhi. dude is having an MVP type of season. it's unfortunate for him Steph Curry is having the type of year that he's been having tho lol.

Because the question is who you would start a team with not who has played the better 30 games. I don't think there is a wrong answer b/t the two honestly. I took PG but assumed health. If i cant do that i definitely take KL.

jerellh528
12-22-2015, 05:02 PM
I saw this question somewhere else but it had draymond green instead of klay. Regardless, I'd take kawhi Leonard without thinking twice.

cmellofan15
12-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Because the question is who you would start a team with not who has played the better 30 games. I don't think there is a wrong answer b/t the two honestly. I took PG but assumed health. If i cant do that i definitely take KL.

lmao so the most recent play by these guys have nothing to do with who you would take to start a team? this year Kawhi is continuing to prove that he is a first tier talent in this NBA by taking on more of the offensive workload. but yeah, let's just start overlooking things that he's done to suit our own arguments..

ewing
12-22-2015, 05:41 PM
lmao so the most recent play by these guys have nothing to do with who you would take to start a team? this year Kawhi is continuing to prove that he is a first tier talent in this NBA by taking on more of the offensive workload. but yeah, let's just start overlooking things that he's done to suit our own arguments..

you madd?

CHANGO
12-22-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm surprised by the amount of people that think Klay is better than Butler, Butler is very underrated here, while Klay is slightly overrated.

In my comment on another thread I said no to Klay being the best SG without even looking at the stats(just basing my opinion on the fact that we haven't seen him as a 1st option on another team)... After comparing stats I don't know how can anyone take Klay over Butler at this point. If you compare Thompson numbers with Butler's:

Butler - 21.5ppg, 5.0rpg, 3.3apg, 1.8spg, 0.9blkpg
Klay - 19.3ppg, 3.5rpg, 2.5apg, 0.6spg, 1.0blkpg

Let me get this out of the way first, YES Klay is doing that in 32mpg while Butler is doing that in 38. But he is also doing that while being on the BEST offensive team by far, and the fastest in pace. Playing with Curry who is a better player helps him because he isn't getting the type of attention on defense that players like Butler, Kawhi and George receives (hence why I say he isn't the best SG because he isn't the 1st option).

Shooting % obviously are better for Klay. But can he sustain that type of shooting while playing on another team?

Butler - 45% FG%, 33% 3P%, 82% FT%
Klay - 47% FG%, 44% 3P%, 85% FT%

And for those who prefer advanced stats...

Butler - 20.8PER, 56% TS%, 24 USG, 4.0 WS
Klay - 18.1PER, 61% TS%, 23.8 USG, 2.7 WS

Almost all the stats says that Butler is a better player and SG, that is without including the defense. Both are great defenders but for me Butler is a better defender and doesn't have the same system and help that Golden State have, Green and Bogut are better defenders than Gasol and Mirotic, Iguodala, Barnes, I mean, the Warriors are just better in every category.

5ass
12-22-2015, 06:41 PM
I think Kawhi and George are very close. I'll take either number one, but Butler>Klay IMO. I'm a huge fan of Butler, and I want him leading my team in a play off series. He's not an elite offensive option, but he can get to the paint and draw fouls. He can also lock down opposing wings. That's why I choose him over Klay.

cmellofan15
12-22-2015, 09:19 PM
you madd?

nope, this is a sports forum where people disagree. I think it's a lot funnier than it is maddening that you tried to make a point and now won't even defend it after I refuted it lmao. Good talk.

KnicksorBust
12-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Kawhi and PG are a tier above Klay and Butler. They can be #1's. Klay and Butler cannot.

cmellofan15
12-22-2015, 09:28 PM
I think Jimmy Butlers only problem with being the number one is the awful offense from his supporting cast.

and you really think Klay couldn't be a number one option offensively? I think he's proven his ability to unleash it when he deems it necessary (not on a Harden level), but I don't he would be able to sustain the same level of defense.

ewing
12-22-2015, 09:30 PM
nope, this is a sports forum where people disagree. I think it's a lot funnier than it is maddening that you tried to make a point and now won't even defend it after I refuted it lmao. Good talk.

you seemed mad. Both players have been great to start the season. If i was to pick a 30 game MVP b/t them i would pick KL. That doesn't mean i would pick him over PG to start a team and be the central player on my team over years. Assuming health i don't think its near a slam dunk choice either way.

Gander13SM
12-22-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm surprised by the amount of people that think Klay is better than Butler, Butler is very underrated here, while Klay is slightly overrated.

In my comment on another thread I said no to Klay being the best SG without even looking at the stats(just basing my opinion on the fact that we haven't seen him as a 1st option on another team)... After comparing stats I don't know how can anyone take Klay over Butler at this point. If you compare Thompson numbers with Butler's:

Butler - 21.5ppg, 5.0rpg, 3.3apg, 1.8spg, 0.9blkpg
Klay - 19.3ppg, 3.5rpg, 2.5apg, 0.6spg, 1.0blkpg

Let me get this out of the way first, YES Klay is doing that in 32mpg while Butler is doing that in 38. But he is also doing that while being on the BEST offensive team by far, and the fastest in pace. Playing with Curry who is a better player helps him because he isn't getting the type of attention on defense that players like Butler, Kawhi and George receives (hence why I say he isn't the best SG because he isn't the 1st option). Shooting % obviously are better for Klay. But can he sustain that type of shooting while playing on another team?

Butler - 45% FG%, 33% 3P%, 82% FT%
Klay - 47% FG%, 44% 3P%, 85% FT%

And for those who prefer advanced stats...

Butler - 20.8PER, 56% TS%, 24 USG, 4.0 WS
Klay - 18.1PER, 61% TS%, 23.8 USG, 2.7 WS

Almost all the stats says that Butler is a better player and SG, that is without including the defense. Both are great defenders but for me Butler is a better defender and doesn't have the same system and help that Golden State have, Green and Bogut are better defenders than Gasol and Mirotic, Iguodala, Barnes, I mean, the Warriors are just better in every category.

I disagree with the "he's on a better team argument" people said that about Curry last year when trying to claim Harden was better, look at the two now, Curry is entering a zone few players ever have, Harden can't touch him.

Same thing here, I mean I get the logic, he's on a better team so he looks better. But I'm not sold on the idea.

Anyway, for me personally it was more about Klays shooting. Yes there's an argument to be made that playing with Curry could make him look better, but at the same time playing with Curry has overshadowed the fact that Klay is well on his way to being a top 10 shooter of all time.

His defense IMO is on par with Butler, I'm happy to take a knock in the other areas to get Klays shooting. Again, the question is who would we take to start a team. I would take one of the greatest shooters of the last 20 years who can also play high caliber D over Jimmy. But that's just me.

There's definitely an argument to be made for Butler being the better overall talent. But that doesn't mean I would want to start a team with him. Just like I would take Nash over CP3 if I was starting a team.

JasonJohnHorn
12-23-2015, 04:11 AM
That guy from Big Bang Theory first.
The the pot my mother has in the garden.
Then those two guys from the Beatles.
Then the guy who answers the door at the mansion.

Bostonjorge
12-23-2015, 04:19 AM
PG13 is the best. Leonard is second but I can see Klay shutting him down in the playoffs. Klay has the size and post defense to make it tough for Leonard. People need to stop dismissing Klay.

Mr_Jones
12-23-2015, 05:05 AM
Kawhi is a special player

kdspurman
12-23-2015, 09:38 AM
PG13 is the best. Leonard is second but I can see Klay shutting him down in the playoffs. Klay has the size and post defense to make it tough for Leonard. People need to stop dismissing Klay.

I'd be very, very surprised if Klay shuts him down. Kawhi in previous matchups has pretty much owned Klay. They've usually had Klay guarding TP, but we'll see. & I don't think people are dismissing him, he just isn't the best of these 4 guys.

Scoots
12-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Kawhi
George
Butler
Klay

This ... but I'd swap Klay and Butler by a hair. They are all incredible.

FlashBolt
12-25-2015, 03:44 AM
Any answer not with Kawhi on the top is a terrible list. Kawhi is a top five player right now IMO. Hate to do it but I have to slide AD out of the top five.

KD
Westbrook
LeBron
Kawhi
Curry

Gander13SM
12-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Any answer not with Kawhi on the top is a terrible list. Kawhi is a top five player right now IMO. Hate to do it but I have to slide AD out of the top five.

KD
Westbrook
LeBron
Kawhi
Curry

I'm not sure Westbrook belongs there. But I agree Kawhi is top 5 now.

IBleedPurple
12-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Kawhi
George
Butler
KlayYessir