PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox to Retire Wade Bogg's #26

RedSoxtober
12-21-2015, 03:38 PM
The Red Sox announced this afternoon that they will retire Wade Boggs' No. 26 number in a ceremony on May 26.

Boggs, who wears a Red Sox cap on his Baseball Hall of Fame plaque in Cooperstown, N.Y., will have his number placed on the right-field roof facade at Fenway Park in a May 26 (get it?) ceremony next year.

The Red Sox' criterion for placing uniform numbers on the right field facade have shifted in recent years from a formerly strict requirement that players had to retire as a Red Sox and be in the Hall of Fame in order to be so honored.Boston Herald

Corey
12-21-2015, 04:12 PM
I think you mean they're retiring Brock Holt's 26

RedSoxtober
12-21-2015, 05:49 PM
#brockstar

Station 13
12-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Long overdue. 70WAR+ alone with the Red Sox.

-Lavigne43-
12-21-2015, 06:40 PM
I guess Clemens is going to have his number retired soon as well.

Station 13
12-21-2015, 07:15 PM
I guess Clemens is going to have his number retired soon as well.

He'd have to make the HoF first.

j-bay
12-21-2015, 09:49 PM
He'd have to make the HoF first.

I don't know. They have been holding number tight for 20 years. And a lot of players have had a chance to take it. An example being Beckett. Clemens was Beckett's idol and wore 21 in Florida.

Station 13
12-21-2015, 11:23 PM
I don't know. They have been holding number tight for 20 years. And a lot of players have had a chance to take it. An example being Beckett. Clemens was Beckett's idol and wore 21 in Florida.

Clemens would need to be in the hoF first before they retired his number. it is a requirement in their policy.

-Lavigne43-
12-22-2015, 01:11 AM
They have already broken many of their number retirement policies, including the HoF requirement which they broke for Pesky. If Clemens does not get into the HoF because of steroids, then Ortiz won't be getting in either. They will definitely break the HoF requirement again for Ortiz if he does not get in.

This one is surprising because they have given Boggs number out like candy. I'm guessing part of it has to do with the 1986 30 year reunion events that they will probably hold next season.

Slaps
12-22-2015, 09:03 AM
They have already broken many of their number retirement policies, including the HoF requirement which they broke for Pesky. If Clemens does not get into the HoF because of steroids, then Ortiz won't be getting in either. They will definitely break the HoF requirement again for Ortiz if he does not get in.

This one is surprising because they have given Boggs number out like candy. I'm guessing part of it has to do with the 1986 30 year reunion events that they will probably hold next season.

I still think Boggs is a D-bag for the whole horse/Yankees thing. I think RSN is just drumming up interest for the ratings on this move. Boggs burned a lot of bridges but I guess time heals all wounds.

j-bay
12-22-2015, 08:01 PM
I still think Boggs is a D-bag for the whole horse/Yankees thing. I think RSN is just drumming up interest for the ratings on this move. Boggs burned a lot of bridges but I guess time heals all wounds.

From what Boggs said today Mrs Yawkey offered Boggs 7/35 million to stay just like Williams and Yaz. He was going to stay and then the whole bath tub incident after. Then new Management came in, took the offer off the table, and wanted to replace him Scott Cooper. After that the Sox didn't want him anymore.

bagwell368
12-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Too long ago to drum up the same emotions. OK I guess. Still rankles me that Rice has his number up and Evans doesn't. SABR stats came to late for Dwight, because he's notably better than Rice was.

Clemens will be up there someday as he should be.

POS LL blew Lester's shot at his number up....