PDA

View Full Version : Does this basket count?

macc
12-17-2015, 05:49 PM
This may/may not be thread worthy but I thought it would be a fun discussion. So I'll let mods determine if it is or not.

Anyways, in my home town a gal was shooting a half court shot to win free tuition to college for a Semester. She shot the ball, the ball landed appx 10 ft short of the basket, but bounced up high enough to score after the bounce.

They counted it and she got her free tuition. However, would that have counted in the NBA? Imagine someone taking a half court or even 3/4 court shot, missing, but then scoring off the bounce.

If you have any other stories of strange situations like that, feel free to share them.

tredigs
12-17-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. It doesn't matter how or who puts the ball in the basket, as long as it is not offensive goaltending or after the buzzer (or kicked, I guess), the basket counts.

Pretty hilarious and awesome for that girl though.

5ass
12-17-2015, 06:06 PM
of course it counts if it happens in the NBA

tredigs
12-17-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm looking into this right now and seeing some points that make it a lot more interesting than I gave it credit for. For example, what if this was a full court shot on an attempted buzzer beater that fell short - bounced - and was going on a perfect trajectory to go in when just before it landed in the hoop it was grabbed out of the air by a defender. Is that goaltending?

JWO35
12-17-2015, 06:20 PM
I think you're referring to this: https://youtu.be/wnsY3LR0nLE?t=27s

And yes, if [Insert NBA Player] did the exact same thing in a game it would've counted...

xbrackattackx
12-17-2015, 09:32 PM
But would it be a 2 or 3? It's was inside the line when bounced. So I assume 2?

tsubibo
12-17-2015, 10:08 PM

I would assume it was a three since the feet of the shooter would have been outside the 3 point line when he/she took the shot.

IndyRealist
12-17-2015, 10:49 PM

The position of the ball is irrelevant, it's where the shooter's feet are when he releases the ball.

IndyRealist
12-17-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm looking into this right now and seeing some points that make it a lot more interesting than I gave it credit for. For example, what if this was a full court shot on an attempted buzzer beater that fell short - bounced - and was going on a perfect trajectory to go in when just before it landed in the hoop it was grabbed out of the air by a defender. Is that goaltending?

The ball has to be on a downward trajectory toward the rim, or above the cylinder, to be goaltending. The ball is also live until it goes out of bounds or someone has possession and the clock is out. So if it bounced and was going down toward the basket and someone touched it, it's goaltending. If it bounced and someone swatted it out of bounds on an upward trajectory, it's dead. If it bounces and an offensive player touches it, it's dead since that would be an offensive rebound after the clock ran out.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. It doesn't matter how or who puts the ball in the basket, as long as it is not offensive goaltending or after the buzzer (or kicked, I guess), the basket counts.

Pretty hilarious and awesome for that girl though.

Interesting side note: The offensive team is allowed to kick the ball. It is only the defender that is not allowed to kick the ball. This was to prevent players from simply kicking a ball away from a ball handler and slowing the game down. Because offensive players have never had a need to kick the ball, there has never been a rule put in place for it.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2015, 01:28 PM
This may/may not be thread worthy but I thought it would be a fun discussion. So I'll let mods determine if it is or not.

Anyways, in my home town a gal was shooting a half court shot to win free tuition to college for a Semester. She shot the ball, the ball landed appx 10 ft short of the basket, but bounced up high enough to score after the bounce.

They counted it and she got her free tuition. However, would that have counted in the NBA? Imagine someone taking a half court or even 3/4 court shot, missing, but then scoring off the bounce.

If you have any other stories of strange situations like that, feel free to share them.

The tragedy is that people have to win the lottery to afford tuition in America. Everybody should have equal access to education.

cmellofan15
12-20-2015, 01:31 PM
lmao that has nothing to do with any of this

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-20-2015, 03:21 PM
if it is not out of bounds it should count for good

Scoots
12-23-2015, 12:11 PM
The tragedy is that people have to win the lottery to afford tuition in America. Everybody should have equal access to education.

While totally off topic I agree.

I'm generally conservative and I can see that it would be EASY for the US to have free college tuition for all as well as free health care if we wanted ... without raising taxes on anyone.