PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas wants to objectify WNBAers

mrblisterdundee
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Former NBA player Gilbert Arenas recently said the WNBA should get rid of ugly players and make the attractive ones play in more revealing outfits (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gilbert-arenas-slammed-repugnant-instagram-posts-wnba-n481616). He intimated that anyone disagreeing with him was likely ugly.
Naturally, he got slammed by both the NBA and the WNBA for the comments:
"Gilbert Arenas' comments are repugnant, utterly disrespectful, and flat-out wrong," said a joint statement from the leagues. "WNBA players are strong, talented and determined individuals who give it all on the court and serve as inspiring role models to millions around the world."
Where does Arenas rank on the all-time list of douche bag ballers? He's definitely up there.

Avenged
12-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Hell yeah! Agree with him.

D-BAGDAN
12-17-2015, 12:23 PM
He has always been a good role model. Keep up the good work Gilbert

Tony_Starks
12-17-2015, 12:47 PM
I'd vote for Gilbert Arenas over Trump!

JWO35
12-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Original Instagram Post by Arenas: https://www.instagram.com/p/_VTJv0PP8o/?taken-by=gilbertpettyarenas

I'm sure more would tune in if those were the uniforms :laugh:

effen5
12-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Well if the WNBA wants better ratings...he's not wrong.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 01:01 PM
I mean, has anyone watched the WNBA? It's terrible. Of course women shouldn't be objectified, but the quality of women's basketball versus men's is horrific. Not their fault, basketball is a sport where size, speed, and strength are of upmost importance, and women can't touch men in that regard.

Mr_Jones
12-17-2015, 01:09 PM
I'd be pretty certain that if the WNBA had women who looked like the ones in the video, the ratings would go up. Any kind of league that features primarily women is going to be looked at from the objectifying viewpoint. It's not like these players are better than NBA, Euroleague, College players, so it's hard to get viewership.

Morally, is it right that people view the idea of an all-women league in that light? Nope. But I know a lot more people would at least watch.

LeonFSU
12-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Seems strange for the WNBA to respond to this

Storch
12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
No thanks on seeing those butch manly women in thongs. I'll pass.

MonroeFAN
12-17-2015, 02:20 PM
What he said is absolutely hilarious, and I have no problem with it. But as I say that, I'm not claiming to be a good guy.

MonroeFAN
12-17-2015, 02:22 PM
I'd be pretty certain that if the WNBA had women who looked like the ones in the video, the ratings would go up. Any kind of league that features primarily women is going to be looked at from the objectifying viewpoint. It's not like these players are better than NBA, Euroleague, College players, so it's hard to get viewership.

Morally, is it right that people view the idea of an all-women league in that light? Nope. But I know a lot more people would at least watch.

I bet a few wnba teams could hang with the poor European clubs.

nycericanguy
12-17-2015, 02:23 PM
fake, Forced, politically correct apology coming in 3...2...1...

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 02:26 PM

no, they couldn't.

mrblisterdundee
12-17-2015, 02:31 PM
I mean, has anyone watched the WNBA? It's terrible. Of course women shouldn't be objectified, but the quality of women's basketball versus men's is horrific. Not their fault, basketball is a sport where size, speed, and strength are of upmost importance, and women can't touch men in that regard.

You're right; men are stronger and faster, no question. But I would argue that the audience for NBA games is largely male. The male athletes in the NBA are mostly role models for the male audience.
Why can't the WNBA be for women what the NBA is for men, without the players being objectified and told they're worthless for anything but their looks? People who say that about the WNBA are basically insulting all women.
I thank you for being respectful in your response, too. There are a log of dimwits in this thread revealing how misogynistic and ignorant they are. We need more people to help raise the IQ of these threads.

jerellh528
12-17-2015, 02:38 PM
There's no such thing as an attractive wnba player so his whole idea is flawed from the start.

warfelg
12-17-2015, 02:43 PM
There's no such thing as an attractive wnba player so his whole idea is flawed from the start.

Skylar Diggins and Donna Della Donne...

There's more too.

spreadeagle
12-17-2015, 02:45 PM
I thought it was funny haha

spreadeagle
12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
What he said is absolutely hilarious, and I have no problem with it. But as I say that, I'm not claiming to be a good guy.

lmao, sameeee

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 02:49 PM
There is no doubt in my mind more MEN would watch the WNBA if it had hot chicks in little clothing. But that does nothing for the sport on the womens side. Notice that while the gap between men's and women's basketball is a zillion miles apart, more and more young girls will probably be interested in pursuing it seriously, which is good for women, and the sport.

NYKalltheway
12-17-2015, 02:59 PM

It's not really that bad... It's a different brand of basketball and should be looked at that way. If one doesn't like it, switch the channel. You can't compare the WNBA to the NBA. Hell, you can't compare NCAA basketball to the NBA, they're also very different.

NYKalltheway
12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Skylar Diggins and Donna Della Donne...

There's more too.

Elena Della Donne you mean. Great player, too! Could fit in an NBA's team rotation :D

warfelg
12-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Elena Della Donne you mean. Great player, too! Could fit in an NBA's team rotation :D

No clue why I said Della. But yea. There's enough out these that is they said "wha go to my room and ****?" You would be leaving your clothes spinning in place you went to the room so fast.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 03:14 PM
It's not really that bad... It's a different brand of basketball and should be looked at that way. If one doesn't like it, switch the channel. You can't compare the WNBA to the NBA. Hell, you can't compare NCAA basketball to the NBA, they're also very different.

It is that bad. And I do change it.

Yes, I can barely tolerate NCAA men's ball. They run around like chickens with their heads cut off and jack up 3's at a ridiculous rate

Tony_Starks
12-17-2015, 03:15 PM

no, they couldn't.

Give me the WNBA champs vs the Sixers and I like my odds!

There's quite a few chicks in the league that can get it btw, they're not all butch truck drivers...

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Give me the WNBA champs vs the Sixers and I like my odds!

There's quite a few chicks in the league that can get it btw, they're not all butch truck drivers...

The Sixers would beat the Lynx by 60.

People seriously don't get how much smaller, slower, weaker, and un-athletic women are when it comes to the athletic traits that basketball requires? It's not a slight on women, they just aren't physically capable of being anywhere near as good as men in basketball.

5ass
12-17-2015, 03:31 PM
I agree with Gilbert. It would also be a good idea to have them do a cooking segment at half time. LOL

0nekhmer
12-17-2015, 03:42 PM
At least he acknowledges he's being sexist lmao

effen5
12-17-2015, 04:37 PM
I agree with Gilbert. It would also be a good idea to have them do a cooking segment at half time. LOL

lmfaoooooo

Strong thread backfire

Shady66
12-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Lmfao

effen5
12-17-2015, 04:39 PM

Holy hell she's 6'5...and plays for Chicago...might need to check out a game.

tredigs
12-17-2015, 04:55 PM
2015 saw the lowest fan attendance in their history at mid 7,000's for a league with far fewer games (the actual paid attendance would report even lower), and the league is still around only because the NBA subsidizes it. The only real money in women's ball is for those who also play it oversees, but that means playing year round and breaking down their bodies. Not a sport I'd want my daughter to legitimately pursue as a career choice. Play through high school and even in to college if you can get a scholarship, but beyond that is just a pipe dream unless you are a top 25 female player in the world (and even then, you'll be playing oversees if you want a somewhat impressive income).

The league Gilbert's talking about here wouldn't work either. You're telling me you want to watch a bunch of ****** bikini models play basketball? Yeah, that has no shelf life either. Young girls are not short on role models in this world. I see no reason why we have to manufacture fake industries to ensure that every single avenue is as wide as the champs elysee. I'd much rather see women continue to be further glorified in the math and science fields than in basketball, which is an objectively terrible product in comparison to any top men's league that a casual observer would enjoy watching. Literally the only reason I can come up with to watch the WNBA would be to simply do so because they are women. Young girls don't need to see the WNBA to know that they're having fun on their 4th grade teams, sorry.

warfelg
12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
2015 saw the lowest fan attendance in their history at mid 7,000's for a league with far fewer games (the actual paid attendance would report even lower), and the league is still around only because the NBA subsidizes it. The only real money in women's ball is for those who also play it oversees, but that means playing year round and breaking down their bodies. Not a sport I'd want my daughter to legitimately pursue as a career choice. Play through high school and even in to college if you can get a scholarship, but beyond that is just a pipe dream unless you are a top 25 female player in the world (and even then, you'll be playing oversees if you want a somewhat impressive income).

The league Gilbert's talking about here wouldn't work either. You're telling me you want to watch a bunch of ****** bikini models play basketball? Yeah, that has no shelf life either. Young girls are not short on role models in this world. I see no reason why we have to manufacture fake industries to ensure that every single avenue is as wide as the champs elysee. I'd much rather see women continue to be further glorified in the math and science fields than in basketball, which is an objectively terrible product in comparison to any top men's league that a casual observer would enjoy watching. Literally the only reason I can come up with to watch the WNBA would be to simply do so because they are women. Young girls don't need to see the WNBA to know that they're having fun on their 4th grade teams, sorry.

Really they should move them to large towns/small cities. It automatically makes them a bigger draw. Why in Phoenix/LA/Chicago/NYC/Washington/Dallas/Atlanta would you go to a WNBA team?

I would leave the Seattle team where they are. That's about the only one I would leave, and Connecticut. Other than that, it's a 12 team league. I would target cities like:
Albany, Virginia Beach, Savannah, Mobile, Louisville, Austin, San Diego, Santa Barbra, Omaha, Tulsa

Same number of teams, similar areas, but smaller cities where the WNBA team would be the "draw" during their season (well except for San Diego that is).

MonroeFAN
12-17-2015, 07:00 PM

no, they couldn't.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up.

/giving a ****

jerellh528
12-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Girls just cant beat guys. My girlfriend played college and I play recreationally just for fun and I demolish her every time even though she is more skilled than me in every facet. She's only 5'6 tho

Gander13SM
12-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Girls just cant beat guys. My girlfriend played college and I play recreationally just for fun and I demolish her every time even though she is more skilled than me in every facet. She's only 5'6 tho

Has the thought ever crossed your mind that she might be letting you win to protect your fragile ego? Let you save face and feel alpha.

Just saying.

lamzoka
12-17-2015, 08:46 PM
fake, Forced, politically correct apology coming in 3...2...1...

He's out the league. I don't believe he's under contract with any cooperation. He's not apologizing. btw I agree with him 100%. WNBA is a joke. but then again I don't wanna see Brittney Grinder in tongues. Skylar Diggins can get the D tho.

Tony_Starks
12-17-2015, 08:49 PM

Love and basketball man, you gotta give her best 2 out of 3! Lol

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up.

/giving a ****

dude, women can't play against men in basketball. Tennessee won like 3000 straight championships, and Pat Summit said the guys they practiced against were students who played in high school but never got a look at college, and they would win half the time.

Women are smaller, weaker physically, and can't play basketball with men. It's a fact.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Has the thought ever crossed your mind that she might be letting you win to protect your fragile ego? Let you save face and feel alpha.

Just saying.

again, you have to be kidding me. It's not a slight. Women can't physically excel like men do in a sport where size, speed, strength, all are imperative. It's just physically impossible for them.

There will never be a woman that could make an NBA roster. Ever. Any D1 men's player would be the best player in the WNBA by a mile.

jerellh528
12-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Just saying.

What makes you think my ego is fragile?

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 10:21 PM

You're a Kobe fan haha

kidding bro

warfelg
12-17-2015, 10:22 PM
My wife was a HS basketball and soccer player and kicks my *** every time despite my 6" height advantage. :shrug:

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 10:24 PM
My wife was a HS basketball and soccer player and kicks my *** every time despite my 6" height advantage. :shrug:

When I was in high school, the (at the time) all time assist leader/one of the best PG's to play at Illinois became our girls team assistant coach. She was 24, I was 17. I blanked her 15-0.

You are married to her. No doubt it's hard guarding a girl, where do the limits come in? But if you guard her like she is a man, they shed away. Sorry.

I mean, or you could be terrible at basketball.....

warfelg
12-17-2015, 10:29 PM
When I was in high school, the (at the time) all time assist leader/one of the best PG's to play at Illinois became our girls team assistant coach. She was 24, I was 17. I blanked her 15-0.

You are married to her. No doubt it's hard guarding a girl, where do the limits come in? But if you guard her like she is a man, they shed away. Sorry.

My wife has an excellent handle. And she can hit her jump shots. Usually when we play she can use her handles to get me off balance and drive. Then when I back off she just pops a J in my face. Even though I'm only 6' I was more a PF (my sr year our starting C was 6'3") so I don't have the greatest handle (can't go left despite being a lefty) or the best shot. Usually we end up at 21-14.

I make her play lacrosse now. And golf. I kick her *** easily.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 10:37 PM
My wife has an excellent handle. And she can hit her jump shots. Usually when we play she can use her handles to get me off balance and drive. Then when I back off she just pops a J in my face. Even though I'm only 6' I was more a PF (my sr year our starting C was 6'3") so I don't have the greatest handle (can't go left despite being a lefty) or the best shot. Usually we end up at 21-14.

you are married. That is the end of it.

In a non-I give a **** about you situation, you body her and she melts, and on offense, you post her up and have a layup drill. Sorry dude, it's a fact haha

carlessyen
12-17-2015, 10:45 PM
They should love Arenas, first time WNBA has been talked about in awhile...I'd rather watch 3 hours of QVC about skin creams.

HandsOnTheWheel
12-18-2015, 12:10 AM

LMAO. Nice.

Sactown
12-18-2015, 12:50 AM
Anyone who is saying women can compete with men are being ridiculously stupid... In 8th grade the local varsity girls high school team asked if I could help them practice since they only had 9 people at the time in a scrimmage and less than 5 minutes in the coach asked me to ease up since I was destroying them ... And I was only about 5'2 at the time...

warfelg
12-18-2015, 01:29 AM
you are married. That is the end of it.

In a non-I give a **** about you situation, you body her and she melts, and on offense, you post her up and have a layup drill. Sorry dude, it's a fact haha

I'm not arguing that a WNBA team can hang with a men's team. When skill levels (technical not physical) are even, the physical advantage is huge. But when technical skills aren't even (me v my wife) certain physical advantages go away. Namely my size v her quickness.

Hawkeye15
12-18-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm not arguing that a WNBA team can hang with a men's team. When skill levels (technical not physical) are even, the physical advantage is huge. But when technical skills aren't even (me v my wife) certain physical advantages go away. Namely my size v her quickness.

right but you can't be as brutal against the woman you sleep with as you would be with a dude haha.

Her quicks? You hedge her *** and throw her out of the paint. But, you can't do that. We both know it. Nor can you back her up Barkley style, and use your elbows to remove her from the layup drill.

Women suck at basketball. It's not their fault. They might beat Durant in HORSE, but the best woman player in the world wouldn't make a Big Ten roster.

warfelg
12-18-2015, 01:39 AM
right but you can't be as brutal against the woman you sleep with as you would be with a dude haha.

Her quicks? You hedge her *** and throw her out of the paint. But, you can't do that. We both know it. Nor can you back her up Barkley style, and use your elbows to remove her from the layup drill.

Women suck at basketball. It's not their fault. They might beat Durant in HORSE, but the best woman player in the world wouldn't make a Big Ten roster.

How would you be able to how I play her without ever seeing us play? Who's to say I don't try and be physical. I mean I'm not claiming to be a super in shape dude who can do anything on the court. Back and ankle injuries have robbed me of a lot. Plus I miss shots. We play one-on-one. Not like I can go down and post up and get an entry pass. Gotta face up. You can be as physical as you want but if they have more skills they have more skills. She's got more skills than me. I'm man enough to to admit it. Seems as though you have an issue with the fact I can admit that.

cvburg
12-18-2015, 01:44 AM
while he does sound like a giant d-bag, something has to make women's basketball more interesting....Its just not good basketball

I played div 3 junior college in NYS and 2 times we scrimmaged vs a Div 1 women's college team, Women's coaches have said they openly use mens team at any level to provide tough competition to get them ready for the season.

To say there is no hot WNBA is wrong, I would love to make Elana Della-Donne my 2nd wife!!! :smoking:

Phantom Dreamer
12-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Well if the WNBA wants better ratings...he's not wrong.Because there's a shortage of places to view scantily clad women...
Arenas is just a dumb individual

NYKalltheway
12-18-2015, 02:37 AM
Holy hell she's 6'5...and plays for Chicago...might need to check out a game.

and she's a guard/forward type of player that can play in the paint :D

if you manage to go, say hello to Jacki Gemelos* :)

*who's a lesbian btw, like many WNBA players. It's not really frowned upon in the women's game. Being involved in women's basketball in Europe, I've come across many cases. It's usually the hot ones, too, so you don't get to get the girl - some teammate might :p - if you're involving yourself with a women's team for that kind of a reason :cool:

ewing
12-18-2015, 06:30 AM

sounds like you are bad at basketball.

ewing
12-18-2015, 06:43 AM
again, you have to be kidding me. It's not a slight. Women can't physically excel like men do in a sport where size, speed, strength, all are imperative. It's just physically impossible for them.

There will never be a woman that could make an NBA roster. Ever. Any D1 men's player would be the best player in the WNBA by a mile.

I was a d3 player. I transfered to a d1 school with a top 10 womens program. I knew one of the girls on the team from back home and play 1/2 with the girls a couple times. I could score every possession with ease. At the time i could have been hands down been the best player on a top women college team, Marcus Camby was probably the best player in mens college basketball. The gap b/t me and these girls was a decent size the gap b/t me and Marcus Camby is huge. The gap b/t Marcus Camby and these girls :speechless:

ewing
12-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Former NBA player Gilbert Arenas recently said the WNBA should get rid of ugly players and make the attractive ones play in more revealing outfits (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gilbert-arenas-slammed-repugnant-instagram-posts-wnba-n481616). He intimated that anyone disagreeing with him was likely ugly.
Naturally, he got slammed by both the NBA and the WNBA for the comments:
"Gilbert Arenas' comments are repugnant, utterly disrespectful, and flat-out wrong," said a joint statement from the leagues. "WNBA players are strong, talented and determined individuals who give it all on the court and serve as inspiring role models to millions around the world."
Where does Arenas rank on the all-time list of douche bag ballers? He's definitely up there.

cause he said something you don't like? I personally don't care about this at all. when he rapes someone like Ruben Patterson feel free to make a Gilbert Arenas is an ******* thread. Til then my advice is to develop a thicker skin

Gander13SM
12-18-2015, 09:48 AM

You're male. Playing against a female in a sport. You're instantly insecure and your ego is fragile.

Gander13SM
12-18-2015, 10:06 AM

If you want to generalize then sure. 1v1, in your driveway or at the park, average man v average women. Physically the male will likely dominate.

But I've seen girls high school teams beat high school boys teams simply due to being better players from a skill basis and from having better team work.

I've seen women back down smaller built guys in pick up games.

One of the groups I play pick up with on a Tuesday night has two women who turn up pretty regularly. One is terrible. She's never played before. The other is not only faster than some of the guys but stronger too, she does triathlons and mountain biking as well as playing basketball so compared to some of the smaller guys who only exercise that one time a week with us, she's superior. Not just athletically either. She played in college and she can shoot from anywhere inside the 3pt line, hits the mid range all night.

There are always exceptions to every rule. Do I think a WNBA player could make it in the nba? No. Probably not. But the nba is the minority of basketball players around the world.

I'm not talking about the NBA. Never was. Im just of the opinion that there are women who are excellent basketball players. That's all.

ewing
12-18-2015, 10:19 AM
If you want to generalize then sure. 1v1, in your driveway or at the park, average man v average women. Physically the male will likely dominate.

But I've seen girls high school teams beat high school boys teams simply due to being better players from a skill basis and from having better team work.

One of the groups I play pick up with on a Tuesday night has two women who turn up pretty regularly. One is terrible. She's never played before. The other is not only faster than some of the guys but stronger too, she does triathlons and mountain biking as well as playing basketball so compared to some of the smaller guys who only exercise that one time a week with us, she's superior. Not just athletically either. She played in college and she can shoot from anywhere inside the 3pt line, hits the mid range all night.

There are always exceptions to every rule. Do I think a WNBA player could make it in the nba? No. Probably not. But the nba is the minority of basketball players around the world.

I'm not talking about the NBA. Never was. Im just of the opinion that there are women who are excellent basketball players. That's all.

Yeah Holly Homes can likely beat up Gilbert Godfrey. I don't think anyone is denying that. I am decent at the sport and no one wants to pay to see me play. Womens basketball just isnt a very good product. For most people to find basketball entertaining you need freaks on the court. The best women just aren't good enough at basketball to be entertaining

JWO35
12-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Anyone who is saying women can compete with men are being ridiculously stupid... In 8th grade the local varsity girls high school team asked if I could help them practice since they only had 9 people at the time in a scrimmage and less than 5 minutes in the coach asked me to ease up since I was destroying them ... And I was only about 5'2 at the time...
http://favoritememes.com/_nw/0/31293728.jpg

Gander13SM
12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Yeah Holly Homes can likely beat up Gilbert Godfrey. I don't think anyone is denying that. I am decent at the sport and no one wants to pay to see me play. Womens basketball just isnt a very good product. For most people to find basketball entertaining you need freaks on the court. The best women just aren't good enough at basketball to be entertaining

I disagree with that. I mean, it will never be as popular due to a lack of athleticism. Casual fans love big flashy dunks and fast games. I mean so does everyone. But to them that's what basketball is.

For me, I don't find it AS good. But it is a good product. I mean if it's good basketball it's good basketball.

There's a lot more to the game than athleticism. WNBA and women's basketball in general can be entertaining. Maybe not AS entertaining. But still entertaining.

warfelg
12-18-2015, 11:19 AM
I disagree with that. I mean, it will never be as popular due to a lack of athleticism. Casual fans love big flashy dunks and fast games. I mean so does everyone. But to them that's what basketball is.

For me, I don't find it AS good. But it is a good product. I mean if it's good basketball it's good basketball.

There's a lot more to the game than athleticism. WNBA and women's basketball in general can be entertaining. Maybe not AS entertaining. But still entertaining.

This.

WNBA in a way reminds me of CBB. In the NBA every team has high flying super athletes. In the WNBA/CBB not every team has an athletic freak who can do that so the system they play in is much more important, and winning comes from lack of mistakes and good fundamental play. If you want your kid to be technically sound (at most sports to be honest) you would tell them to watch the women's version.

Hawkeye15
12-18-2015, 11:24 AM
How would you be able to how I play her without ever seeing us play? Who's to say I don't try and be physical. I mean I'm not claiming to be a super in shape dude who can do anything on the court. Back and ankle injuries have robbed me of a lot. Plus I miss shots. We play one-on-one. Not like I can go down and post up and get an entry pass. Gotta face up. You can be as physical as you want but if they have more skills they have more skills. She's got more skills than me. I'm man enough to to admit it. Seems as though you have an issue with the fact I can admit that.

I have no issue with it. I am simply saying, at the end of the day, if a man and woman are similar ages, and play similar amounts, the man is going to always be better. Basketball is highly dependent on size, speed, and strength, and this doesn't work in a woman's favor.

Again, nobody can be outright physically competitive with their wife dude, cmon. You are going to give her a hard foul when she beats you? I don't think so haha

Hawkeye15
12-18-2015, 11:25 AM
I was a d3 player. I transfered to a d1 school with a top 10 womens program. I knew one of the girls on the team from back home and play 1/2 with the girls a couple times. I could score every possession with ease. At the time i could have been hands down been the best player on a top women college team, Marcus Camby was probably the best player in mens college basketball. The gap b/t me and these girls was a decent size the gap b/t me and Marcus Camby is huge. The gap b/t Marcus Camby and these girls :speechless:

like I said, when I was 17 I whipped a 24 year old woman who was all big 10, assist leader for Illinois. She was a PG. 5'5". All I did was smother her, and then back her down and it was a layup drill.

It's not their fault, they are just smaller and not strong. And the ones that are my size, I can go around like their feet are in cement.

ewing
12-18-2015, 11:25 AM

we had a another thread in the GD forum where we were talking about tennis and in tennis i think the guys and gals that just blast you off the court are actually the least entertaining to watch. I would much rather watch a guy with variety construct points then a guy who is just looking to load up. I also think women's tennis is by the far the most watchable women's sport.

Hawkeye15
12-18-2015, 11:27 AM

I won't deny that. My point is, the gap between a good high school boys basketball player, and a WNBA player, is not large. The gap between a good high school boys basketball player, and an NBA player, is a zillion miles apart.

I say this, without a doubt. When I was 19-26, I could have easily made a WNBA roster.

warfelg
12-18-2015, 11:36 AM
I have no issue with it. I am simply saying, at the end of the day, if a man and woman are similar ages, and play similar amounts, the man is going to always be better. Basketball is highly dependent on size, speed, and strength, and this doesn't work in a woman's favor.

Again, nobody can be outright physically competitive with their wife dude, cmon. You are going to give her a hard foul when she beats you? I don't think so haha

I don't throw elbows or give hard fouls playing the guys at the gym so why would I with my wife?

Hawkeye15
12-18-2015, 11:52 AM
I don't throw elbows or give hard fouls playing the guys at the gym so why would I with my wife?

you mean you don't play with this intensity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMo14XTTvE

MonroeFAN
12-18-2015, 11:57 AM
dude, women can't play against men in basketball. Tennessee won like 3000 straight championships, and Pat Summit said the guys they practiced against were students who played in high school but never got a look at college, and they would win half the time.

Women are smaller, weaker physically, and can't play basketball with men. It's a fact.

If it's a battle of strength, I'd take Brittney Grinier in a fight against 80% of European basketball players.

ewing
12-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Euros are soft

valade16
12-18-2015, 12:41 PM
I think the only way to genuinely make it a fair contest would be to take the WNBA All-Stars and have them face the worst players on Euro teams benches.

Hawkeye15
12-18-2015, 12:47 PM
If it's a battle of strength, I'd take Brittney Grinier in a fight against 80% of European basketball players.

but who? Anyone smaller (remember, pro basketball players are big people), just blows by her. That's the thing. A 6'5" woman moves slowly, and that isn't tall enough to bother even my shot when I have a huge speed advantage.

MonroeFAN
12-18-2015, 12:49 PM
That is valid, I agree with those feelz.

JAZZNC
12-18-2015, 01:50 PM

All of this is fact. My scrub friends and I played our college girls team in the rec center pretty often because we were stuck on the scrub court. They had several chicks that were taller than any of us and we routinely murdered them. Often they would only score a couple threes when we just didn't give enough of a **** to try and cover them out there.

There was one girl that always played with the guys in the rec center and she was OK but nobody ever went at her. One day this guy decided tha t wasn't gonna happen and went at her and after blocking every one of her shots and knocking her *** to the ground a couple times she left crying.

Women suck at basketball. It is just a fact. If you don't let them they can't hang with the guys at really any level. I'm pretty sure the WNBA All Star team could win some pick up games here and there at the YMCA but even then all it would take is one tall dude and it's over.

Probably the most difficult thing to understand about all of this is why anyone gives a **** about what Gilbert Arenas has to say about anything?

ewing
12-18-2015, 02:05 PM
All of this is fact. My scrub friends and I played our college girls team in the rec center pretty often because we were stuck on the scrub court. They had several chicks that were taller than any of us and we routinely murdered them. Often they would only score a couple threes when we just didn't give enough of a **** to try and cover them out there.

There was one girl that always played with the guys in the rec center and she was OK but nobody ever went at her. One day this guy decided tha t wasn't gonna happen and went at her and after blocking every one of her shots and knocking her *** to the ground a couple times she left crying.

Women suck at basketball. It is just a fact. If you don't let them they can't hang with the guys at really any level. I'm pretty sure the WNBA All Star team could win some pick up games here and there at the YMCA but even then all it would take is one tall dude and it's over.

Probably the most difficult thing to understand about all of this is why anyone gives a **** about what Gilbert Arenas has to say about anything?

that's the most insightful thing I've read today

Jamiecballer
12-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Arenas might have made comments in poor taste but his points are valid.

warfelg
12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
I think anyone saying a bunch of guys that play nights at the Y could beat a WNBA All Star team are nuts.

It's like saying because you've read a few books you could win at Jeopardy. Or because you're a weekend warrior at your local club you could take on Lexi Thompson or Lydia Ko and win.

Your talking about a guy that does something 4 maybe 5 nights a week against someone who does this as a living.

tredigs
12-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I think anyone saying a bunch of guys that play nights at the Y could beat a WNBA All Star team are nuts.

It's like saying because you've read a few books you could win at Jeopardy. Or because you're a weekend warrior at your local club you could take on Lexi Thompson or Lydia Ko and win.

Your talking about a guy that does something 4 maybe 5 nights a week against someone who does this as a living.
Obviously depends on the gym, but at the gym I go to (which is just a random gym in a fairly small city), there is an ex junior college player taller than anyone in the WNBA (he's a sturdy 6'8") some current high school ballers and just dudes that play regularly. I am positive multiple of these guys are stronger and quicker than any player in WNBA history. I have had the misfortune of watching some WNBA games, these guys would absolutely wipe the floor with them. Quicker, taller, stronger and a fairly solid skill level all around. It's possible they have a disadvantage in half court sets, but a women's team simply isn't capable of sticking with them in transition or on the glass. Dude you see WNBA All Stars in celebrity games against those scrubs, and even then they don't stick out. Rec league players are better than 90% of celebrities.

Going back to the crux of the issue, the bottom line is that the WNBA does not provide sustainable entertainment value, and it is only still a league due to subsidization from the NBA. Beyond that, it's only decreasing in popularity and it's evident that young girls don't care enough about them to keep the league afloat. And we should be OK with that.

TrueFan420
12-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Different sports but just another example... My brother played college soccer. One of his teammates (when younger) played against Mia Ham and the US women's national team with his U16 team after they won the women's World Cup and the U16 side won 4-1. Granted these were some of the top youth players for their age group but still just another example.

tredigs
12-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Different sports but just another example... My brother played college soccer. One of his teammates (when younger) played against Mia Ham and the US women's national team with his U16 team after they won the women's World Cup and the U16 side won 4-1. Granted these were some of the top youth players for their age group but still just another example.

Yeah, I have a lot of friends in the soccer world and often play with/against females in indoor who have played professionally oversees and in America. And almost all of them are fresh off playing collegiate soccer. I don't say this to be rude but they simply do not stack up. I have to go very easy on them and I absolutely smash them. I was not good enough to play professionally and am a shell of myself in college.

TrueFan420
12-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I have a lot of friends in the soccer world and often play with/against females in indoor who have played professionally oversees and in America. And almost all of them are fresh off playing collegiate soccer. I don't say this to be rude but they simply do not stack up. I have to go very easy on them and I absolutely smash them. I was not good enough to play professionally and am a shell of myself in college.

Unfortunately a couple of injuries in HS robbed me of a chance to play in college. But I did play some club and co ed soccer while I was still at college and we often faced teams stacked with girls from the school team and while you could see they had technical skill from a physical stand point they couldn't match up.

My brother actually was in Europe coaching for a little and spent time with FC Twente's women's side as an assistant and with Dinamo Zagrebs youth boys sides. He said the differences were massive.

Abby wambeck recently made some comment about it not being fair that men earn more than the women in sports then says I know ratings play a part... I'm sitting there thinking play a part? Their nearly the whole damn pie. Higher rating means more money.

JWO35
12-18-2015, 08:19 PM
ITT people share stories about how they could beat girls in sports...

tredigs
12-18-2015, 08:54 PM
ITT people share stories about how they could beat girls in sports...

It's relevant. Why do sports fans want to pay to watch something that they can see at a rec center?

beasted86
12-18-2015, 09:39 PM
WNBA is just bad. It's not going to help wearing skimpier outfits. The skill level looks like high school players playing. Most the tall players are just stiffs like you'd find on a boy's high school team. The play making and so forth just looks so poor.

I love Women's tennis because they are just flat out skilled. Also love me some USA Women's FIFA or Olympic soccer. But the WNBA is just not good to watch no matter how hot the women are or aren't.

Wade n Fade
12-19-2015, 02:24 AM
Honestly, the PC stuff is too much. I don't agree with Gilbert's comments, but people are giving Gilbert a platform. If you don't want to be the talk of the town, you keep your comments to yourself. Gilbert probably knew he would get a ton of attention, so that's a possible reason why he ran his mouth. Like I didn't know who Don Imus was until his comments. Doubt many casual fans knew Gilbert either since that bum has been out of the league for years. Pretty sad way to be "relevant" if you ask me. But for Pete's sake, don't give idiots a platform or just ignore them. He can just block trolls on twitter, so it's not like he will change. It's "mission accomplished for him."

NYKalltheway
12-19-2015, 08:07 AM

It's a completely different sport and the male/female body structure favors men to be better in that sport due to lower body movement. It has to do with vertical/horizontal movements and stuff like that, which pretty much is the way of playing (ie shooting/passing power and technique). Plus in defense. While in basketball it can be easier for women to compete with men, at least outside the paint and if a girl can shoot, she'll shoot. There's no obstacle like in soccer where there's a goalie.

Of course, there's a slight difference in ball sizes (smaller for women) so it might take a few shots to adjust to the difference. And shooting with a smaller than usual ball takes some effort to adjust as well, it's quite harder :D

For what it's worth, women play with a smaller and lighter ball in soccer, too. It's also easier for men to play with that ball and harder for women to play with the men's ball, so there's no accurate way of basically putting the teams against eachother and have a comparison without these factors. But it's generally accepted that women cannot compete in that sport.

In volleyball, the net is lower for females, by 6 inches iirc. Added to that, the women also play with a larger ball.

So essentially, putting two teams in one pitch/court doesn't really show much unless they've both trained for the same regulations.