PDA

View Full Version : Why do teams only perform when they feel like it?

MygirlhatesCod
12-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Watching the Warriors go through their unbelievable steak I noticed how much effort every team playing against them were putting out. what I don't understand is why its not a constant. unless its Lebron every player has an more incentive to play as well as possible. I say that because there are always endorsements, contracts and championships to attain. I know some responses will be that its human nature to want to topple the highest rise but why wouldn't it be to get there instead. I have always been all about team incentive contracts to go along with individual ones. something like 20% of your contract will be matched for certain team objectives. so the question presented is why and how can it be fixed.

tredigs
12-16-2015, 06:41 PM
I think the short answer is that it is a long, extremely taxing season and most players simply can't go all out every night.

JasonJohnHorn
12-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Part of it is the psychology of it. When you are playing a team like the 76ers, it is hard to invest yourself against the fully and completely.

It's a social/psychological thing. Like when you don't laugh at a movie trailer, but when you go to the theatre and see the same joke in a group of people, you laugh out loud.

Science hasn't really explained it, but it is a fight-or-flight thing. When you are in danger, for instance, you body is filled with adrenaline. With that, you can lift a car. Without it, some people can't even bench press 200 pounds.

But you can't keep that adrenaline up, and you can't choose when it turns on.

But yes, there is something else. There are people who simply don't try. But those are just guys who are unprofessional. I mean, everybody takes a night off once in a while; it's 82 games. But some guys take off more nights than they actually work.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-16-2015, 07:18 PM
Bucks beat Warriors then next game fall to Lakers. Time to tank away the season. Knight trade was bad. Last year we were beating teams I figured we be losing to. Also before All star game last year we had a ton of games won early in the season. This season barely winning anything.

MygirlhatesCod
12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Part of it is the psychology of it. When you are playing a team like the 76ers, it is hard to invest yourself against the fully and completely.

It's a social/psychological thing. Like when you don't laugh at a movie trailer, but when you go to the theatre and see the same joke in a group of people, you laugh out loud.

Science hasn't really explained it, but it is a fight-or-flight thing. When you are in danger, for instance, you body is filled with adrenaline. With that, you can lift a car. Without it, some people can't even bench press 200 pounds.

But you can't keep that adrenaline up, and you can't choose when it turns on.

But yes, there is something else. There are people who simply don't try. But those are just guys who are unprofessional. I mean, everybody takes a night off once in a while; it's 82 games. But some guys take off more nights than they actually work.

what your saying makes sense I can accept one guy not trying every game but I don't understand a whole team doing it. the Bucks LA game is a perfect example. all kinds of momentum from stopping a streak gone to waste.

tredigs
12-17-2015, 04:15 PM
what your saying makes sense I can accept one guy not trying every game but I don't understand a whole team doing it. the Bucks LA game is a perfect example. all kinds of momentum from stopping a streak gone to waste.

Didn't shock me at all, I think I called it in the game thread pregame actually. They used a lot of physical and mental focus that game, and probably went out and partied that night. A content/drained Bucks squad going on the road and losing the following game feels like a pretty likely outcome.

Similarly, the Warriors were entirely out of energy versus the Bucks. It's not that they did not want to win, they were simply drained.

MygirlhatesCod
12-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Didn't shock me at all, I think I called it in the game thread pregame actually. They used a lot of physical and mental focus that game, and probably went out and partied that night. A content/drained Bucks squad going on the road and losing the following game feels like a pretty likely outcome.

Similarly, the Warriors were entirely out of energy versus the Bucks. It's not that they did not want to win, they were simply drained.

it wasn't a slight on the warriors they looked tired and rightly so 24 straight really tuckers you out.

tredigs
12-17-2015, 06:34 PM
it wasn't a slight on the warriors they looked tired and rightly so 24 straight really tuckers you out.

I imagine it does, but it probably had more to do with the 7 game road trip and a b2b halfway across the country the night before. It's what they call a "schedule loss" because a team will predictably be incredibly tired in that scenario. Obviously GS had even more against it because they were playing a ton of games versus opponents that were going full bore against them, but in general this is a time where you will see an NBA team simply look run down - because they are.

I think the answer to this is to have less NBA games and get rid of all b2b's, but this has been brought up and denied a few times. There's the implications of the history books that are taken into account, and the worry of a loss of revenue.

Dade County
12-17-2015, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry, but I only read your title OP and I have a short simple answer for you...

NBA = Entertainment

If the teams that should and can win all the time, win all the games they could; it wouldn't be much of a product.

Bless

MygirlhatesCod
12-18-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry, but I only read your title OP and I have a short simple answer for you...

NBA = Entertainment

If the teams that should and can win all the time, win all the games they could; it wouldn't be much of a product.

Bless

You should have read the rest because your response is a little off topic.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Bucks were at a strip club before the game. TMZ broke that story. Monroe must of banged his knee on a stripper there. Maybe she was standing on his knees and did a back flip or something? lol Since the strip club Monroe been injured. Also Vasquez with bone spurs 20 some games into the season. Bet he had that with the Raptors. Be nice to have league check into that. Doesn't it take time to get bone spurs? Be cool if league forced Raptors to give us our Clippers pick back. They can keep the second rounder though for good measure.

IndyRealist
12-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Can anyone here say they give 100% all the time at their job? Sometimes you just phone it in. They're human.

da ThRONe
12-18-2015, 07:52 PM
I think the short answer is that it is a long, extremely taxing season and most players simply can't go all out every night.

This! There are too many games in a season and as a result we as fans get subpar performances far too often.

ewing
12-18-2015, 07:56 PM
they are humans