PDA

View Full Version : If the Nets buy out Joe Johnson, where should he go?

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
The Nets are apparently trying to trade Joe Johnson. Because his contract is expiring, it may be a great way for the Nets to bring in some talent, but with the cap going up, I don't think most teams are pressed to clear cap space right now.

So, they may consider buying him out (which I think is a bad idea, because they could still use his out-going contract in a sign-and-trade in the offseason). If the do buy him out, what is the most ideal landing spot for him?

Obviously if he's ring-chasing, GSW would be ideal, but it is doubtful he'd get many minutes (It might turn into a Mitch Richmond in LA scenario, though I expect with his skill set he'd get in the rotation).

He'd also be a great fit in LAC (perhaps Doc can call up the Nets and given them Crawford/Lance/Smith/Jr.). And of course there is Cleveland. In the east, they stand the best chance of reaching the finals, and it would give them a third ball-handler after LBJ and Kryie, so if they have an injury in the playoffs with Kyrie (which is about as likely as the Spurs winning 50 games considering his injury history), then LBJ wouldn't be stuck carrying the load like he did last year (though he does have Mo-Will now).

And of course anything that improves the Spurs' chances is ok in my book ;-)

What do you think would be the best option for JJ?

Tony_Starks
12-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Put him on OKC and they get a ring.

warfelg
12-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Honestly, they are better off trying to trade him than buy him out. They might be over the cap with his contract coming off anyways, so limited ability to make a move, plus lack of a pick. Even a young guy or 2, and a pick is better than buying him out and having limited ability to make a move.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-14-2015, 11:29 AM
I never understood teams doing buyouts. Yeah they maybe saving a little money under the table but player I believe still is counted for on the cap. Nets already gave away Deron. Personally better off to let him expire. Nets need cap relief any way.

beasted86
12-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Agree.

OKC or upgrading the putrid wing options on the Clippers would be his next options to start for a playoff team right away.

beasted86
12-14-2015, 11:39 AM
I never understood teams doing buyouts. Yeah they maybe saving a little money under the table but player I believe still is counted for on the cap. Nets already gave away Deron. Personally better off to let him expire. Nets need cap relief any way.
You CAN do a buyout and stretch provision at the same time. So that move could potentially eliminate their repeater taxes.

warfelg
12-14-2015, 11:39 AM

Yea, only times I've really understood it is a guy who won't really play for you in the final year of a contract. Something like AK47 with Philly. Nice if he plays? Sire. But he hasn't resurfaced since being bought out.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-14-2015, 11:40 AM

JJ sucks

maybe if he was 10 years older but not now.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-14-2015, 11:42 AM
What about Wolves trying to dump Pek and Martin to Nets for Joe? Wolves might have to sweeten the pot a bit since Nets be eating bad contract of Pek. Maybe Wolves toss in a young piece like Payne or Jones? Nets could always reroute Martin to Bulls and get something from them yet. Just keep collecting assets.

warfelg
12-14-2015, 11:52 AM
What about Wolves trying to dump Pek and Martin to Nets for Joe? Wolves might have to sweeten the pot a bit since Nets be eating bad contract of Pek. Maybe Wolves toss in a young piece like Payne or Jones? Nets could always reroute Martin to Bulls and get something from them yet. Just keep collecting assets.

Would the Nets really want that?

I think Pek would be the one getting rerouted in this. Nets have Brook and Bargs at the C position. Charlotte? LAL? Portland? Basically send a young player or a future pick their way for helping them out?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Would the Nets really want that?

I think Pek would be the one getting rerouted in this. Nets have Brook and Bargs at the C position. Charlotte? LAL? Portland? Basically send a young player or a future pick their way for helping them out?

Well Pek has bad contract and injury prone. I'm sure if you go ask Wolves fans they be happy to come up with Pek trade ideas. Doubt any team wants Pek.

nycericanguy
12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Honestly, they are better off trying to trade him than buy him out. They might be over the cap with his contract coming off anyways, so limited ability to make a move, plus lack of a pick. Even a young guy or 2, and a pick is better than buying him out and having limited ability to make a move.

No one's giving a young guy or a pick for JJ, let alone both!

And very few teams would even have the contracts to match JJ's salary.

He has - negative value right now. BK will probably put him out of his misery and just buy him out and let him go to a decent team.

Kyben36
12-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Chicago and or clippers to me. I know they have paul peirce, but joe johnson could also be really good, then it allows them to trade stephenson and or crawford.

KnicksorBust
12-14-2015, 12:32 PM

If a GM can save an owner a few million dollars that is significant. I think the general public is too flippant with "oh it's just a little money."

KnicksorBust
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
I'd love to see him back in ATL. Their backup wings are terrible.

Arch Stanton
12-14-2015, 12:37 PM
I believe, it was rumored that the Cavs were interested in trading for him this offseason. The problem is that they don't really have much to offer, other than Joe Harris and a trade exception. Plus you'd have to factor in the crazy amount of luxary tax they would have to pay acquiring him. If the Nets buy him out, then I believe the Cavs would pull the trigger on a Vet min deal, if he were interested in joining them.

JAZZNC
12-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Is he still on the contract Atlanta gave him or did NJ give him another contract after that?

A reunion with ATL would make sense but if he wants a real shot at a ring CLE, OKC, and to a much lesser extent LAC make sense. I would assume CLE would be the front runners because they showed interest before and would likely help them the most. They need some wing scoring and he has proven to be pretty clutch in the past.

Tony_Starks
12-14-2015, 02:12 PM

JJ sucks

maybe if he was 10 years older but not now.

Playing next to KD and Russ, where he would be openly spotting up or going one on one on a regular basis, I can guarantee he would NOT suck.

JEDean89
12-14-2015, 02:16 PM
would love him off the bench in NY

BKLYNpigeon
12-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Joe Johnson would fit in perfectly in the Warriors second Unit.

TrueFan420
12-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Joe Johnson would fit in perfectly in the Warriors second Unit.
Agreed I'd love to pick him up on the vet min. He'd be perfect in a back up role. And would get a ton of open looks in our system.

Chronz
12-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Definitely not the Warriors, they are stacked as it is. Spurs could use him to even up the score abit. Clips and OKC are the contenders that need him the most tho, he could play a real factor there, likely as a starter.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-14-2015, 07:36 PM
I believe, it was rumored that the Cavs were interested in trading for him this offseason. The problem is that they don't really have much to offer, other than Joe Harris and a trade exception. Plus you'd have to factor in the crazy amount of luxary tax they would have to pay acquiring him. If the Nets buy him out, then I believe the Cavs would pull the trigger on a Vet min deal, if he were interested in joining them.

Yeah Cavs and Grizzlies were trying to land him this summer. As for now Cavs don't have much to offer. AV is like $9.6M. Shumpert is $8.9M. Doubt they part with Thompson $14.2M already but who knows? Grizzlies have a bunch of guys on the bench making like $5M+. Allen? Carter? Wright? Barnes? Unless they wanna unload Green and his $9.5M. Joe Johnson is $24.8M. Bit steep.

hugepatsfan
12-14-2015, 09:05 PM
BOS could use some offensive help at SF. JJ has been awful this year but if he played like he did last year then that would really make BOS better.

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2015, 02:15 AM
No one's giving a young guy or a pick for JJ, let alone both!

And very few teams would even have the contracts to match JJ's salary.

He has - negative value right now. BK will probably put him out of his misery and just buy him out and let him go to a decent team.

A good GM could get that out of the right team. A team trying to get over the hump and who is in a really good position would be willing to give up a first (if they know it will be well after 20th pick because those are useless anyways), and if they have a young guy with potential who doesn't say, shoot the ball well or is turnover prone, or is a liability on D, then yeah.... you could get a first and a young guy who a good developmental coach could shape.

Like if you called up the Thunder, you could potentially get a first and Dion Waiters no problem (or if they still had Lamb). Maybe even Payne. That is not unreasonable. And a guy like Payne, if he gets minutes, may develop into a legit player. He works hard and has been rebounding well in limited minutes, and passing the ball well, and his woeful shooting may be in part due to the fact he can't get into a rhythm playing throw off minutes here and there and doesn't have plays run for him.

So yeah, you won't be getting a first from a lottery team and their ROY candidate, but you can pry a first away from a contender with a great record and get a young guy off their hands that they simply don't have the time to develop if they want to win a ring to keep KD there THIS offseason.

Look back at what the Cavs were willing to take on and give away when they were trying to keep LBJ. Look at how quickly a team like Boston was willing to give up on Joe Johnson and dump him on the Suns.

Stranger things have happened.

Chronz
12-15-2015, 02:34 AM
A good GM could get that out of the right team. A team trying to get over the hump and who is in a really good position would be willing to give up a first (if they know it will be well after 20th pick because those are useless anyways), and if they have a young guy with potential who doesn't say, shoot the ball well or is turnover prone, or is a liability on D, then yeah.... you could get a first and a young guy who a good developmental coach could shape.

Like if you called up the Thunder, you could potentially get a first and Dion Waiters no problem (or if they still had Lamb). Maybe even Payne. That is not unreasonable. And a guy like Payne, if he gets minutes, may develop into a legit player. He works hard and has been rebounding well in limited minutes, and passing the ball well, and his woeful shooting may be in part due to the fact he can't get into a rhythm playing throw off minutes here and there and doesn't have plays run for him.

So yeah, you won't be getting a first from a lottery team and their ROY candidate, but you can pry a first away from a contender with a great record and get a young guy off their hands that they simply don't have the time to develop if they want to win a ring to keep KD there THIS offseason.

Look back at what the Cavs were willing to take on and give away when they were trying to keep LBJ. Look at how quickly a team like Boston was willing to give up on Joe Johnson and dump him on the Suns.

Stranger things have happened.

No man, the guy you quoted is 100% right. You STILL have to match contracts and your proposals dont. Waiters+pick doesn't equal his salary. Youd have to throw a big salary in there that makes it worthwhile, those trades dont really exist today. The best bet is just getting a future pick (1st or 2nd) and another expiring talent.

Like lets say the Clips offer Jamal Crawford+Lance+Austin (young player)+pick, does that sound worth it?

D-BAGDAN
12-15-2015, 03:00 AM
Here come all the JJ to Cavs rumors

Blink
12-15-2015, 04:11 AM
Wouldnt mind him in Detroit because we need a closer to finish games sometimes.

DanG
12-15-2015, 10:30 AM
OKC would be a nice fit.

*Get rid of Waiters
*Sign JJ
*Trade Ibaka and Roberson for T.Jones, Ariza and K.J McDaniels

Westbrook/Augustin
McDaniels/JJ
Durant/Ariza
T.Jones/Collison
Adams/Kanter

Awesome. I would rather have JJ coming off the bench because he can create and get off his own shot. Would still play around 25mpg.

Kyben36
12-15-2015, 10:49 AM
I think he would look for a place he could start and contend, some of the places i have heard, i just dont see him starting, chicago, clippers, are two team i think he pushes for a starting spot. And both are contenders, okc would give him barely any minutes if you ask me. I mean, any team that wants him off the bench probably has no chance.

chi-townlove1
12-15-2015, 11:42 AM
If he came to the Bulls he could start at the 2 while jimmy moves to the 3. That's honestly his best bet for playing time and production. Then it helps them for any chance they have at a title run, which isn't much.

Tg11
12-25-2015, 04:34 PM
For me ideally I would love to see Joe Johnson on the Celtics I'm biased like that but in all honesty though in all seriousness I can see Joe Johnson going to either the Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Heat, Bulls or Hawks

COACHTOU
12-27-2015, 01:25 PM
JJ would be a good look for multiple teams because of his shooting and big frame for a guard. He is a underrated ball-handler that will be a good look for Chi, OKC, LAC, Mem, SA, Phoe etc. So many teams that can probably get a resurgence out of him

5ass
12-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Djibouti.

Chronz
12-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Holy ****, I just realized how awful hes played this year, what happened to his deep ball? Dude needs to be in a reserve role at this point.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2015, 04:19 PM
I can honestly see him going to the Cavs. He can't be that much worse than JR Smith and Iman Shumpert.

IDunknown
12-27-2015, 05:27 PM
JJ sucks

maybe if he was 10 years older but not now.:oldguy:
:)

Tg11
12-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Joe Johnson he could go to Orlando to the Magic or how about the Phoenix Suns he could always go back there or hell he could always go back to Atlanta to the Hawks or the Clippers he would actually fit on the Clippers believe it or not

Joe Johnson on the Lakers he could actually be that veteran presence that the Lakers need given how much of a young team they are becoming

Dade County
12-28-2015, 12:36 AM
When/If Miami trade pieces away like Deng...etc

I can see JJ signing with the HEAT. This looks like a move Pat would pull off.

Dragic
Wade
Winslow/JJ
Bosh
Whiteside

This is if Whiteside & Winslow are not traded for a key player.

Chronz
12-28-2015, 02:28 AM
If he came to the Bulls he could start at the 2 while jimmy moves to the 3. That's honestly his best bet for playing time and production. Then it helps them for any chance they have at a title run, which isn't much.

Its the opposite, Jimmy thrives as a 2 who can post up the smaller wings.

5ass
12-28-2015, 02:59 AM
Joe Johnson he could go to Orlando to the Magic or how about the Phoenix Suns he could always go back there or hell he could always go back to Atlanta to the Hawks or the Clippers he would actually fit on the Clippers believe it or not

Joe Johnson on the Lakers he could actually be that veteran presence that the Lakers need given how much of a young team they are becoming

Not to the Magic. There's no playing time for him. He'll go to a championship contender anyway. I could see him in OKC.

ChitownbullsBG7
12-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Its the opposite, Jimmy thrives as a 2 who can post up the smaller wings.

He is played by the better wing defender dude. That whole guarding your position has been gone for awhile now.

Tg11
12-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Not to the Magic. There's no playing time for him. He'll go to a championship contender anyway. I could see him in OKC.

If he were to go to OKC then could he really fit in there considering they have Durant and Westbrook unless they form some kind of big 3 but with Ibaka it would be a big 4

5ass
12-28-2015, 03:40 PM
If he were to go to OKC then could he really fit in there considering they have Durant and Westbrook unless they form some kind of big 3 but with Ibaka it would be a big 4

I'm thinking they give him Dion Waiters' role. Waiters is terrible.

mrblisterdundee
12-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Oklahoma City definitely seems like a good option. He could also be a decent backup in Chicago.