PDA

View Full Version : Will Jordan's contract ever be eclipsed?

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2015, 02:03 PM
In his last season with the Bulls, Jordan pulled in 33 million.

When adjusted for inflation, that stands at about 50 million dollars (48.9: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/).

There has been a lot of talk about contracts lately; Stephen Curry being a bargain; the recently passed Hot Rod Williams having once had the richest contract in the NBA; Ryan Anderson potentially making 20+ mil this offseason; and the up-coming free agency with KD likely to see the largest annual salary in NBA history.

It's been twenty years, and nobody has yet matched Jordan's total (I believe Kobe came the closest with 30 mil), but even if somebody does make it eclipse the 33 million mark, when adjusted for inflation, they'd have to hit 49 million to top Jordan.

Do you think, when adjusted for inflation, Jordan's salary will ever be eclipsed in the NBA?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-13-2015, 02:18 PM
With new TV deal and cap going up every season we will be seeing guys getting $34M+. Not sure about $50M other then maybe at the very end of a contract like 5 or 6 years from now. Guys will be seeing super max 5/$200M soon enough. $10M per will be like in the MLE. To lazy to get the actual CBA rules of veterans per years maxes. But I think super max starts year 10 for veterans.

effen5
12-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Jordan deserved every penny of that....he took so many paycuts as a bull....worth every penny lol

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Jordan deserved every penny of that....he took so many paycuts as a bull....worth every penny lol

As a Pistons fan, I HATED Jordan, but yes, you'd have to be a fool not to concede that in the free market, that 33 million was a bargain. They could have paid him 100 mil and he would have been worth it.

I remember reading an article at the time that had suggested that EVERY team should chip in and add to Jordan's salary, not only because he helped them sell out home games when he visited town, but also because the TV deals that they made were predicated on the fact that Jordan would be bringing viewers in, even though all teams were making money off those deals. It was actually a pretty sound argument.

I think a similar argument could have been made of Dr. J, Bird and Magic (especially Bird and Magic), but I don't think there has been a player since that has managed to bring in viewers and increase interest in the NBA the way Jordan, Bird and Magic did, though Yao Ming certainly did wonders bringing the game to China and Kobe helped reinforce that with his tours through Asia.

dhopisthename
12-13-2015, 02:58 PM
the salary cap would need to be about 140 million and a player would need to be a 10+ year veteran. considering that they max they project the cap to be is about 105 million its not going to happen in the next 5 years. only way it happens is if they ditch the salary cap.

JEDean89
12-13-2015, 04:05 PM
its hard to imagine another player becoming as synonymous with bball as Jordan. That said, with inflation growing extremely slow, and the NBA's revenue exploding, it's easy to imagine AD being the guy to do it. I believe we will be seeing 40 Million dollar maxes for 3rd contracts, meaning that if AD makes it to his 4th contract, and is still a max worthy player, he should be making north of 50 mil a season. I think eventually, between endorsements and salary, a number of guys in the NBA will be pulling in north of 100 mil a year between shoe deals, nba salary and other endorsements. Guys like Porzingis in NY. Dear lord, he could honestly become a Billionaire by the time he retires. He should have half a billion by the time his 2nd contract is up between his expected 150+ million max, and his inevitable massive Nike shoe contract.