PDA

View Full Version : Curry's Warriors vs Bird's Celtics in 7: Who wins?

lol, please
12-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Thoughts?

mavwar53
12-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Well warriors suck so that's an easy answer right?

KnicksorBust
12-13-2015, 05:30 AM
Warriors can't even beat the Bucks.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2015, 02:22 PM
you ain't playing small ball against Bird, McHale, Parish, and Walton

lol, please
12-15-2015, 10:49 PM
you ain't playing small ball against Bird, McHale, Parish, and Walton
Not sure if serious here. By all means elaborate

valade16
12-15-2015, 11:22 PM

Well the Dubs small ball lineup is Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Barnes, Green.

Who guards Bird, Parish and McHale? As I see it, one of them is going to have Barnes on them and whoever that is, is going to dominate.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2015, 02:53 PM

Warriors can't go small ball against those Celtics. Ever. They do, and it's a layup drill for Boston

tredigs
12-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Warriors can't go small ball against those Celtics. Ever. They do, and it's a layup drill for Boston

Conversely, it's a 3pt clinic on the other end if they're playing Bird/McHale/Parish/Walton against Golden State's small ball squad. I'd take my chances there all day if I'm the Warriors. Not how I'd try to beat them if I'm the Celtics.

lol, please
01-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Conversely, it's a 3pt clinic on the other end if they're playing Bird/McHale/Parish/Walton against Golden State's small ball squad. I'd take my chances there all day if I'm the Warriors. Not how I'd try to beat them if I'm the Celtics.

Well said.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2016, 02:01 PM

I will take layups all day long versus 25 footers. DJ was a elite defender btw. Again, if the Warriors go small, the Celtics essentially get 50 layups.

I can't think of a worse matchup scenario for the Warriors than the mid 80's Celtics teams.

CardinalRed24
02-13-2016, 03:50 PM
With a younger Iggy and Bogut they'd have a better chance. Andrew Bogut was an allstar in the very beginning of his career and his presence would be vital in their hopes of besting these Celtics.

bagwell368
02-26-2016, 09:51 PM
'85-'86 Celts win, some of the lesser Bird teams - like his first one, probably can't do the job.

If you really care about this sport try and find a tape of the '80-81 ECF, greatest series I've ever seen including the '68 and '69 Celt v Lakers - or 85 or '08 for that matter.

rufo4100
04-09-2016, 03:42 PM
86 celtics win with the clear advantage in height. C's have the upper hand in every matchup except Steph Curry

bagwell368
04-13-2016, 09:02 PM
86 celtics win with the clear advantage in height. C's have the upper hand in every matchup except Steph Curry

Ainge would bite Curry, or McHale would clothesline him, or Walton would run him over...

The one thing is that the the training and athletic conditioning of the players favors the modern guys. The C's bench was pretty weak (Wedman was slow as a sloth for instance). Parrish would do his usual 3 travels a game, but what do they do with McHale? Low post, he's going to get like every shot off clean. Almost every defensive rebound goes to the C's too.

JordansBulls
04-15-2016, 12:14 AM
If the C's play tight defense they would win. If they give breathing room it will be the Warriors.

nastynice
04-20-2016, 06:37 AM

Exactly what I thought when I read that post. I wasn't around for 80's ball, but seeing/knowing these players, I don't understand how they wouldn't get run off the court if running with our small lineup. I don't know what layup drill dude is talking about, teams have matched our small lineup by going big, have yet to see this layup drill being mentioned. Our small lineup can defend the paint very adequately. We'd def get crushed on the offensive glass tho

Phantom Dreamer
04-20-2016, 07:05 AM
What year specifically? What rules? Who has home court?

valade16
04-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Exactly what I thought when I read that post. I wasn't around for 80's ball, but seeing/knowing these players, I don't understand how they wouldn't get run off the court if running with our small lineup. I don't know what layup drill dude is talking about, teams have matched our small lineup by going big, have yet to see this layup drill being mentioned. Our small lineup can defend the paint very adequately. We'd def get crushed on the offensive glass tho

Well this season the Warriors had the 5th worst paint defense, giving up 45.1 PPG. So yes, you have seen the layup drill it just hasn't won the opposing team the game. The counter to that is there is no team that has even close to the interior scoring capability of those 85/86 Celtics. The counter to that is Bird, McHale and Parish would definitely have trouble rotating and closing out on all of the Warriors shooters.

The Celtics have one of two options: Create the mismatch in styles with DJ - Ainge - Bird - McHale - Parish w/Walton and see if their mismatch can beat the Warriors mismatch or try to go smaller to better defend the Warriors 3-pt shooting with DJ - Ainge - Wedman - Bird - Parish/McHale.

If I were the Celtics I'd choose the former since the latter lets the Warriors dictate the terms of the series and I don't think Ainge, Wedman, Bird would be able to keep up and rotate appreciably better than their big lineup, so they'd still be susceptible to a lot of 3's.

Considering how insanely good the Warriors have been this season, I'm not sure the Celtics win no matter how they choose to match up, but the stylistic clash would be fun to watch.

lol, please
05-01-2016, 11:16 PM
What year specifically? What rules? Who has home court?

Whichever year, rules, and HCA you feel suits your argument.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-13-2016, 11:50 AM
If its the 86 Celtics than they win comfortably. Not a sweep but in 5 or 6 games. Bird, Mchale, and Parrish would dominate not only with their size but their vision and passing. That Celtics team was one of the greatest passing teams in history. DJ and Ainge were pretty good in their own rights. They would make themselves a factor on the defensive side of the court. I really can not imagine how GS could stop Bird and Mchale inside. I think GS best hope would be to try to get DJ or Ainge in to foul trouble.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-13-2016, 11:54 AM

GS would have to try to run off made baskets because Bird, Mchale, and Parrish would be scoring or getting fouled on 60% of their post up shots. By the way the 1986 Celtics were not just a great post up team. They also were a very good running team. Its not that they were the fastest guys. Its that they were great passers so they moved the ball north/south and east/west with ease.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Ainge would bite Curry, or McHale would clothesline him, or Walton would run him over...

The one thing is that the the training and athletic conditioning of the players favors the modern guys. The C's bench was pretty weak (Wedman was slow as a sloth for instance). Parrish would do his usual 3 travels a game, but what do they do with McHale? Low post, he's going to get like every shot off clean. Almost every defensive rebound goes to the C's too.

LOL Poor Danny Ainge. Danny had a reputation so many people always include him in their bite comments. It was Ainge that got bit by Tree Rollins in their little get together. Ainge did not do the biting :D