PDA

View Full Version : Embiid adds serious muscle

Alayla
12-12-2015, 01:48 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/11/9929756/ripped-joel-embiid-jokes-about-weight-issues-shirleytemples
saw some chatting about this in the Sixers forum and found it all to fitting to discuss here as the common view is he is out of shape and immature due to media reports :P.

7.2 and Built like that with dominate post game good defense and major athletic ability even reports of developing range?
If this guy ever actually sees the court it would change everything i cant help but pray.

STRIKERC
12-12-2015, 02:00 AM
I wonder how many pitchers Shirley Temples one has to drink to get that physique.

KINGOFSPORTS
12-12-2015, 02:44 AM
Looks like Dwight Howard now

I'm excited to see this guy get on the court. I was very veyr impressed with his fundamentals and footwork in collge at such a young age. He was also a great shot blocker.

This guy will be a franchise player if he is healthy

Teeboy1487
12-12-2015, 02:48 AM
This guy can be an absolute monster if he gets his foot healthy and actually play.

More-Than-Most
12-12-2015, 03:43 AM
yet people laugh at me when I have and continue to state I would not trade him for anyone period and I do not regret picking him when we did. He has the defensive ability of Noel and the offensive ability of OKA and the most potential we have seen in a very very long time... If he is healthy he will be such a disgusting force.

him standing next to oka when he was an inch or 2 smaller and not as busted out.

http://i.imgur.com/Dl0t3lY.jpg

Sadds The Gr8
12-12-2015, 04:42 AM
when he's on the court, gimme a shout.

Chronz
12-12-2015, 05:54 AM
I still believe

warfelg
12-12-2015, 11:06 AM
I hope this kid sees the court. Not just because I'm a Sixers fan, but because you hate to see a kids life taken from him like that.

Cal827
12-12-2015, 11:15 AM
I'm hoping that he's able to make it to the court eventually, but for sixer fans, what if he becomes what you guys think he is? Would you trade Noel or Okafor? Who's loss do you think Embiid could match best (Noel's defense, or Okafor's offense)?

warfelg
12-12-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm hoping that he's able to make it to the court eventually, but for sixer fans, what if he becomes what you guys think he is? Would you trade Noel or Okafor? Who's loss do you think Embiid could match best (Noel's defense, or Okafor's offense)?

Well we've talked about it a bit. Last time Embiid was on the court he was a very good defender, good offensive player, and quite athletic. Kinda sounded like a combo of Noel and Okafor. So we have options at the 4/5 combo of:
Saric/Noel
Saric/Okafor
Saric/Embiid
Noel/Okafor
Noel/Embiid
Okafor/Embiid

Personally, I like the idea of Okafor/Embiid starting together. Saric off the bench and one of Okafor/Embiid playing the 5 spot. That leaves Noel as the odd man out.

That said, I don;t make any moves with a player until around the deadline next year, mostly so Embiid can show that he is healthy and can play a full standard games worth of minutes (30-36) on a regular basis wilthout any setbacks. If he can do that, I would combo Noel, Grant, and maybe the LAL pick if it doesn't convey for an impact PG/SG.

Of course the x-factor in this:
What if we get Ben Simmons with the #1 pick? He might be best suited for the 4 spot in the NBA and play point forward from the 4 spot. In that case 2 of Okafor, Saric, Noel become expendable.

5ass
12-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Well we've talked about it a bit. Last time Embiid was on the court he was a very good defender, good offensive player, and quite athletic. Kinda sounded like a combo of Noel and Okafor. So we have options at the 4/5 combo of:
Saric/Noel
Saric/Okafor
Saric/Embiid
Noel/Okafor
Noel/Embiid
Okafor/Embiid

Personally, I like the idea of Okafor/Embiid starting together. Saric off the bench and one of Okafor/Embiid playing the 5 spot. That leaves Noel as the odd man out.

That said, I don;t make any moves with a player until around the deadline next year, mostly so Embiid can show that he is healthy and can play a full standard games worth of minutes (30-36) on a regular basis wilthout any setbacks. If he can do that, I would combo Noel, Grant, and maybe the LAL pick if it doesn't convey for an impact PG/SG.

Of course the x-factor in this:
What if we get Ben Simmons with the #1 pick? He might be best suited for the 4 spot in the NBA and play point forward from the 4 spot. In that case 2 of Okafor, Saric, Noel become expendable.

Embiid/Okafor wouldn't be a good combo. You're forcing Okafor into a PF role when he can't stretch the floor and he'll be even worse defensively

Embiid/Noel wouldn't be a good idea. Obviously Noel's natural position is at center not PF, also if you want these guys to be your front court of the future you have to deal with the injury risk for both. That's not a good idea IMO

Okafor/Noel is not a good combo.

Saric should be able to play with Embiid and Noel.

Basically what I'm saying is you trade Okafor for a four, and Noel for a guard.

sixer04fan
12-12-2015, 02:51 PM
http://imgur.com/a/ZkBWc

Embiid's body progression over the last 4 years. Incredible.

JEDean89
12-12-2015, 03:00 PM
i wasn't aware that his muslces were ever an issue. lets see how his back, feet and knees are doing, shall we?

JEDean89
12-12-2015, 03:01 PM
also newsflash. Embiid/Okafor, Embiid/Noel, and Okafor/Noel are among the least desirable frontcourts you could ask for these days. Only the Spurs know how to play slow.

warfelg
12-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Embiid/Okafor wouldn't be a good combo. You're forcing Okafor into a PF role when he can't stretch the floor and he'll be even worse defensively

Embiid/Noel wouldn't be a good idea. Obviously Noel's natural position is at center not PF, also if you want these guys to be your front court of the future you have to deal with the injury risk for both. That's not a good idea IMO

Embiid has got range and touch. Regularly practicing out to 3 pt range and further, and knocking them down at a great clip. You haven't watched every moment of Embiid's process these past 2 years like we have. Embiid is more offensively aware than Noel is, and would be more able to make it work with Okafor. He was also a very very good at defense when at Kansas.

Embiid has the potential and the ability to be a great 2 way player that has range. The better pairing would be with Okafor because of that. Those two will be able to work with each other on both ends easily.

Matrix3132
12-12-2015, 03:10 PM
i wasn't aware that his muslces were ever an issue. lets see how his back, feet and knees are doing, shall we?

Seriously. I think with all of his foot problems he should try to stay a little lighter. Play an entire season before adding the muscle back.

warfelg
12-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Seriously. I think with all of his foot problems he should try to stay a little lighter. Play an entire season before adding the muscle back.

It might not necessarily be adding weight though. His BMI could be dropping while adding some muscle bulk at the same rate (ex: 1lb of fat for 1lb of muscle).

Ty22Mitchell
12-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Am I the only guy who thinks he looks a little bloated in that new pick. He looks like a "fat guy" who lifts weights (I apologize if that sounds disrespectful); kind of like post-Orlando Shaq.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Lol next thing you know his body can't handle all that extra weight.

jason
12-12-2015, 06:23 PM
It might not necessarily be adding weight though. His BMI could be dropping while adding some muscle bulk at the same rate (ex: 1lb of fat for 1lb of muscle).

Except you can't lose fat and add muscle simultaneously though. He could be adding muscle and weight and then cutting down

colinskik
12-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I hope this kid sees the court. Not just because I'm a Sixers fan, but because you hate to see a kids life taken from him like that.

Tone down the dramatics, kids.

Bostonjorge
12-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Embiid still needs a lot of work. He showed some back to the basket game but nowhere near elite level post moves. We just got excited to see a big who played with his back to the basket then Okafor came along. Embiid needed to work on his offensesive game but with his injuries that didn't happen. He was only ever labeled as potential offense player never anything more then that.

It's a joke to say he has Okafor level of offenses. Has anyone ever seen this elite offensesive game? I seen him put up less then 5 points multiple times.

MonroeFAN
12-12-2015, 07:07 PM
76ers forum.

Corey
12-12-2015, 07:11 PM
He's still got so much potential. And he isnt wasting years of wear and tear for a team going nowhere.

If his foot can stay right he's going to be such a force.

Hawkeye15
12-12-2015, 07:19 PM
took me a bit to see it, I was too busy checking out the butt on that girl behind him....

2-ONE-5
12-12-2015, 10:41 PM

injury risk for both? you mean just embiid?

Alayla
12-12-2015, 10:42 PM

alot of people tried to make claims of him getting fat and out of shape.

More-Than-Most
12-13-2015, 12:47 AM
took me a bit to see it, I was too busy checking out the butt on that girl behind him....

Welp going to look at that right now... I feel like such a failure of a guy not to notice.

warfelg
12-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Except you can't lose fat and add muscle simultaneously though. He could be adding muscle and weight and then cutting down

:confused:

You do realize one of the best methods for fat burn is to lit weights, right. And whenever you lift weights you will add muscle mass no matter what you do.

MonroeFAN
12-13-2015, 11:01 AM
^i would suggest reading further into that. You can't build muscle while removing fat simultaneously. You build muscles through calories, you lose weight through calories.

You can "grow" little baby dick muscles. Why do you think people who lift weight take in 3-5000 calories a day? There are 3 options when it comes to the gym. Losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining muscle.

basketballkitty
12-13-2015, 11:02 AM
:confused:

You do realize one of the best methods for fat burn is to lift weights, right. And whenever you lift weights you will add muscle mass no matter what you do.

He is absolutely right. As a certified trainer I can assure you of this. Lifting weights, especially on larger muscle groups ( Legs, back, ect )....helps your bodies fat burning engine burn fat calories at rest....as does HIIT training on a treadmill or a Bike....short spurts ( 30-45 seconds ) of really hard running or biking at a hard level, followed by 2-3 minutes of easy exercise, then back to a hard 30-45 seconds...do this for 4 to 5 times, and in that 10-12 minutes, you will burn 10 times the fat and calories over the next 2 to 3 days then you would if you just walked/jogged at say 5MPH for 1 hour straight. But weight training is also very good for losing fat and burning calories.

warfelg
12-13-2015, 11:40 AM
He is absolutely right. As a certified trainer I can assure you of this. Lifting weights, especially on larger muscle groups ( Legs, back, ect )....helps your bodies fat burning engine burn fat calories at rest....as does HIIT training on a treadmill or a Bike....short spurts ( 30-45 seconds ) of really hard running or biking at a hard level, followed by 2-3 minutes of easy exercise, then back to a hard 30-45 seconds...do this for 4 to 5 times, and in that 10-12 minutes, you will burn 10 times the fat and calories over the next 2 to 3 days then you would if you just walked/jogged at say 5MPH for 1 hour straight. But weight training is also very good for losing fat and burning calories.

I do all of that, and as my BMI dropped from about 21% to 17% while I brought on strength and muscle size. I'm not quite certified trainer level, but most this stuff was covered in classes I took in my minor.

I think you would agree:
What adds to "fat" gain is lots of complex carbohydrates, high salt diets, and lots of processed foods. Talking your potatoes other than baked, breads, muffins, pastries, ect, ect. A "diet" (I hate that word) for weight loss actually looks very similar to a "diet" for muscle gain. Lots of chicken, fish, lean pork. Very little red meat. Brown rice, baked potatoes, veggies, some fruits, and things like that. If you want to lose weight you eat those products, as well as if you want to gain muscle.

If Embiid lifts weights, along with HIIT, and physical therapy, plus a diet like that, can massively change someones body like that.

basketballkitty
12-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I do all of that, and as my BMI dropped from about 21% to 17% while I brought on strength and muscle size. I'm not quite certified trainer level, but most this stuff was covered in classes I took in my minor.

I think you would agree:
What adds to "fat" gain is lots of complex carbohydrates, high salt diets, and lots of processed foods. Talking your potatoes other than baked, breads, muffins, pastries, ect, ect. A "diet" (I hate that word) for weight loss actually looks very similar to a "diet" for muscle gain. Lots of chicken, fish, lean pork. Very little red meat. Brown rice, baked potatoes, veggies, some fruits, and things like that. If you want to lose weight you eat those products, as well as if you want to gain muscle.

If Embiid lifts weights, along with HIIT, and physical therapy, plus a diet like that, can massively change someones body like that.

I respect what you believe but...cutting Carbs out of a diet does NOTHING to lose weight. When it comes to cutting fat...ALL that ever matters is " Calories IN vs Calories expended....Period. All of those Anti-Carb people are really Clueless, and the ones who advocate the Atkins approach...all the High fat Meats are A-OK as long as you don't eat Carbs are ridiculous.

But no disrespect to you sir.

warfelg
12-13-2015, 12:32 PM
I respect what you believe but...cutting Carbs out of a diet does NOTHING to lose weight. When it comes to cutting fat...ALL that ever matters is " Calories IN vs Calories expended....Period. All of those Anti-Carb people are really Clueless, and the ones who advocate the Atkins approach...all the High fat Meats are A-OK as long as you don't eat Carbs are ridiculous.

But no disrespect to you sir.

Go back and read my original comment he responded to. I wasn't talking about losing weight. I was talking about maintaining a constant weight, but gaining muscle and losing fat at similar weights. Which is possible. I've been 191 for the last 2 months but lost 4% of my body fat.

basketballkitty
12-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Go back and read my original comment he responded to. I wasn't talking about losing weight. I was talking about maintaining a constant weight, but gaining muscle and losing fat at similar weights. Which is possible. I've been 191 for the last 2 months but lost 4% of my body fat.

Oh sorry, that is definitely possible. That's because 1lb of muscle can fit into body mass smaller then 1lb of fat...so as the body replaces fat cells with Muscle...it makes the body slimmer....but the weight is basically the same.

warfelg
12-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Oh sorry, that is definitely possible. That's because 1lb of muscle can fit into body mass smaller then 1lb of fat...so as the body replaces fat cells with Muscle...it makes the body slimmer....but the weight is basically the same.

That's what I was talking about. His arms are bigger but his waist line is definitely thinner. I don't buy the 300 pound rumors, but right now, his arms are bigger than Drummond with a slightly thinner waist. Puts him in the 265/270 range. Which for a guy 7'2" is a good weight.

JAZZNC
12-13-2015, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeye15;30589623]took me a bit to see it, I was too busy checking out the butt on that girl behind him.... [quote]

What butt? I guess you're talking about the chick with the good old fashioned pancake ***. That is unfortunate if you find that distracting!

skywalker33
12-15-2015, 12:50 PM
yet people laugh at me when I have and continue to state I would not trade him for anyone period and I do not regret picking him when we did. He has the defensive ability of Noel and the offensive ability of OKA and the most potential we have seen in a very very long time... If he is healthy he will be such a disgusting force.

him standing next to oka when he was an inch or 2 smaller and not as busted out.

Nah, people are laughing at you because of the POWER RANGER avatar.....

jason
12-15-2015, 03:30 PM
^i would suggest reading further into that. You can't build muscle while removing fat simultaneously. You build muscles through calories, you lose weight through calories.

You can "grow" little baby dick muscles. Why do you think people who lift weight take in 3-5000 calories a day? There are 3 options when it comes to the gym. Losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining muscle.

This.. Read into it more. Trying to lose fat and add muscle is just spinning your wheels unless you're completely new to lifting

2-ONE-5
12-15-2015, 03:42 PM
You absolutely can lose lbs and gain muscle at the same time. Go read anything by Dr. Jim Stoppani or read any of the countless articles or look at the body transformations on a site like bodybuilding.com

jason
12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
You absolutely can lose lbs and gain muscle at the same time. Go read anything by Dr. Jim Stoppani or read any of the countless articles or look at the body transformations on a site like bodybuilding.com

You absolutely can not. The only semi exception is if you're completely new to lifting. To gain muscle you need to be in caloric surplus and to lose fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. Its the reason bodybuilders go into a "cutting" phase and "bulking" phase. Its proven science. Again read into it more and not just the click bait articles.

Tony_Starks
12-15-2015, 05:17 PM
The new dimension to the tank will be Embiid coming back, bulked up, and then spotting up behind the 3 point line!

warfelg
12-15-2015, 06:31 PM
The new dimension to the tank will be Embiid coming back, bulked up, and then spotting up behind the 3 point line!

He's been hitting them while working out in pre game warmups. Yea I get no one is on him, but no reason to suspect that he can't do it in the games.

warfelg
12-15-2015, 06:45 PM
You absolutely can not. The only semi exception is if you're completely new to lifting. To gain muscle you need to be in caloric surplus and to lose fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. Its the reason bodybuilders go into a "cutting" phase and "bulking" phase. Its proven science. Again read into it more and not just the click bait articles.

Body builders are not the norm.

For most people, if your not taking in a whole mass of protein, and you start lifting, your muscles will end up feasting on your own body not just to power your lift but to repair themselves. The problem with most complex carbs is your body turns them into sugars, which is pretty much useless to when it comes to adding muscle. Amino acids and protiens really help out when when you are not only looking to add muscles but to lose weight. I've got a body builder friend who talked me through it (he's working on a masters in nutritional science and kinesiology) and it really is amazing. You are naturally adding muscle size, strength, and tone when you are dropping fat weight using lifting as a way to drop the weight.

I mean now granted it's been almost 5ish months since people got a great look at him, so he could have added some muscle in the time that he lost the fat, and his overall weight dropped enough that the doctors said he could add some muscle weight. We're talking about a guy that we have no official weight on, is 20/21 years old, and is still developing. Remember how he was 7'0" when drafted....he's 7'2" almost 7'3" now.

jerellh528
12-15-2015, 07:06 PM

I think you would agree:

Lol you probably know more from those classes than most "certified trainers" I've seen. A lot of them become certified to train over like a weekend class. especially at la fitness, they're terrible...

Teeboy1487
12-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Embiid imo is the most talented player in the 2014 draft and would have went number 1 if he was not injured. Really hope he can get healthy and stay healthy.

jason
12-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Body builders are not the norm.

For most people, if your not taking in a whole mass of protein, and you start lifting, your muscles will end up feasting on your own body not just to power your lift but to repair themselves. The problem with most complex carbs is your body turns them into sugars, which is pretty much useless to when it comes to adding muscle. Amino acids and protiens really help out when when you are not only looking to add muscles but to lose weight. I've got a body builder friend who talked me through it (he's working on a masters in nutritional science and kinesiology) and it really is amazing. You are naturally adding muscle size, strength, and tone when you are dropping fat weight using lifting as a way to drop the weight.

I mean now granted it's been almost 5ish months since people got a great look at him, so he could have added some muscle in the time that he lost the fat, and his overall weight dropped enough that the doctors said he could add some muscle weight. We're talking about a guy that we have no official weight on, is 20/21 years old, and is still developing. Remember how he was 7'0" when drafted....he's 7'2" almost 7'3" now.

Your muscles do not feast on your own body. Its actually the other way around when you try lose weight too fast without lifting and not having enough protein. There is also no such thing as adding tone also lol.

2-ONE-5
12-16-2015, 10:05 AM

who said anything about body builders? clearly you have to realize the difference in this matter

FlashBolt
12-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Incredible? Sorry, but this guy has yet to step foot on the court.. he's getting bigger because he damn well better be. Sixers are still paying him and he better be at the gym doing something. I think he could be something special but he really is injury prone. He has the potential with his athleticism and natural talent.

jason
12-16-2015, 06:25 PM
who said anything about body builders? clearly you have to realize the difference in this matter

I should have said lifters instead. It's the most optimal and only real effective way for natural lifters. I would suggest to read into again or watch the countless videos on the subject

2-ONE-5
12-17-2015, 11:55 AM
sorry, you are wrong.

KnicksorBust
12-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Sixers and Embiid have been getting dogged for over 2 years now. Yet one picture of Embiid looking jacked and a lot of people start hedging their bets and acting like they still on him. :laugh:

I've been a Hinkie guy the whole time. I think you guys have one of the best GMs in the game. The only question is who gets traded if he comes back healthy. Too many 4/5's that should get big minutes. #trusttheprocess

Iron24th
12-19-2015, 02:19 AM
As a Lakers fan I wanted Embiid to fall 7th in 2014, I like him and think he could become a beast on both ends.

Problem is health is always a concern with centers, Oden and Bynum were monsters physically and had some skills, but if you play only 35% of the games every year this is pointless, and Embiid has already serious troubles with his health before even playing a single NBA game.

jason
12-20-2015, 01:37 AM
sorry, you are wrong.

No youe wrong. Nice try though

JAZZNC
12-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Every last bit of this is meaningless until he plays in a friggin NBA game. Seriously. One game. I could care less about what is happening with this dude till he is an actual NBA player instead of NBA employee.

Scoots
12-23-2015, 12:13 PM

That's a little extreme. He's not going to die and he's getting paid a ton of money. He's doing just fine.

Tg11
12-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Watch Embiid become the next Oden

COACHTOU
12-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Most likely this is what will happen

Watch Embiid become the next Oden

basketballkitty
12-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Most likely this is what will happen

I find that funny considering Embiid has never had a congenital knee condition which Oden had going back to his Sophmore year in High School. And the Navicular foot frature that Embiid suffered is not even close to being as serious as say the " Jones fracture " that Kevin Durant suffered...and yet are people calling him a Major risk, or waste ?

Tg11
12-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Embiid well he's injury prone so in a sense he is proving that he is a bust and to think he was heavily hyped

chjh
12-29-2015, 02:28 AM
This guy can be an absolute monster if he gets his foot healthy and actually play.http://s.coop/1xpjb http://s.coop/1xpmd

G_S_W
12-29-2015, 04:13 AM
Joel Embiid = Greg Oden 2.0.

Gander13SM
12-29-2015, 07:53 AM
I find that funny considering Embiid has never had a congenital knee condition which Oden had going back to his Sophmore year in High School. And the Navicular foot frature that Embiid suffered is not even close to being as serious as say the " Jones fracture " that Kevin Durant suffered...and yet are people calling him a Major risk, or waste ?

Yeah none of his injuries are that severe.

He's just missing two whole seasons because he lost a bet.

Alayla
12-31-2015, 02:59 AM
Yeah none of his injuries are that severe.

He's just missing two whole seasons because he lost a bet.

I wont say his foot isn't a cause for concern to some extent but the only reason hes out a 2nd season is growing 2 inches messed with the healing process.
People where saying things like Greg Odin 2.0 the day he was drafted and that's a little more than unfair.
I would also like to mention people where saying things akin to Bynum 2.0 about Noel the moment he was drafted as well.
Recency basis is an interesting human limitation.
All that being said however i doubt Embiid will ever be truely healthy.

Tg11
12-31-2015, 03:19 PM
Embiid funny thing when he was drafted everyone was comparing him at least sportscasters were comparing him to a young Hakeem or even a young Mutumbo in terms of how his game was patterned especially in college before he got drafted

Alayla
12-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Embiid funny thing when he was drafted everyone was comparing him at least sportscasters were comparing him to a young Hakeem or even a young Mutumbo in terms of how his game was patterned especially in college before he got drafted

It would be good for not just the sixers but for the game if he does pan out that way

WOwolfOL
01-01-2016, 01:30 AM
It would be good to use punctuation