PDA

View Full Version : John Williams, popular 6th man with Cavaliers, dies at 53

Saddletramp
12-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Holy crap, they just pulled his card out of a deck in that Starters show the other day and I was thinking back on that guy. I feel like I had a hand in his death like when I killed Jack Klugman by wondering aloud how the heck he was still alive and then waking up a few hours later from a nap by my wife telling me I killed him by talking about him.

Also, if those guys are the starters, I'd hate to see their Bench.

Whoops, link- Hot Rod Williams is a dead guy (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/john-williams-popular-6th-man-with-cavaliers-dies-at-53/ar-AAgiiKw?li=BBnbfcL")

Whoops again, apparently I don't know how to properly link.

Whoops again, looks like I do!

PowerHouse
12-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Aside from the title, I literally have no idea what OP just said.

Anyways, RIP Hot Rod. (assuming this is a thread honoring him).

Saddletramp
12-11-2015, 09:17 PM
There's a show on NBA TV called the Starters where a bunch of white guys talk about the NBA and sometimes have NBA TV personalities guest with them. I've seen it twice, I think and I'm not sure why it's a show. They do have a kinda cool segment where they open up a deck of basketball cards from the 90's and reminisce and try to bring up some of the players stats or stories or whatever. The other day they did the segment with Jon Barry and pulled Hot Rod Williams' card (among others). When they said John Williams, I immediately told my wife "Hot Rod!" to which she raised her eye brows from her phone and smiled when they said Hot Rod.

Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet today.

PowerHouse
12-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I would like to see that basketball card segment since I am a collector.

Saddletramp
12-11-2015, 09:48 PM
It's kind of cool. Brings back old names. The first card they pulled was Pippen but other guys came up including one or two that I had totally forgotten about and one that I've never heard of.

MonroeFAN
12-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Pretty tasteless title

Saddletramp
12-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Pretty tasteless title

Couldn't use RIP Hot Rod Williams because thanks to the dopes on this forum everyone would think he got dunked on. Gotta be direct and to the point with these bozos.

Tried to change it, can't. My apologies as it is pretty tasteless.

ewing
12-12-2015, 01:00 AM
i forgive you. your post was pretty weird though LOL. anyone remember when this guy somehow become the highest paid player in the NBA?

chi-townlove1
12-12-2015, 01:07 AM
Aside from the title, I literally have no idea what OP just said.

Anyways, RIP Hot Rod. (assuming this is a thread honoring him).

Lmao I laughed for ten minutes at your post and idk why. But I truly have no clue WTF the OP was talking about. Hysterical.

RIP hot rod

PowerHouse
12-12-2015, 01:23 AM
i forgive you. your post was pretty weird though LOL. anyone remember when this guy somehow become the highest paid player in the NBA?

I had no idea, thats ****ing insane. It makes no sense how he was making more money in 1990-91 than Magic or Jordan or anybody else. His agent was a stud.

He wasnt even one of the top 3 players on his team.

ewing
12-12-2015, 01:28 AM
I had no idea, thats ****ing insane. It makes no sense how he was making more money in 1990-91 than Magic or Jordan or anybody else. His agent was a stud.

He wasnt even one of the top 3 players on his team.

no idea how it happened. I just remember i friend of mine ranting about how the NBA was broken

Arch Stanton
12-12-2015, 01:57 AM
RIP Hot Rod! He was part of those great Cavs teams that unfortunately ran into the GOAT.

MonroeFAN
12-12-2015, 06:59 AM
No problem saddle, thanks for explanation.

Rip.

tsubibo
12-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Never knew that. Just mind blown. He was a good player but highest paid?

R.I.P. Hot Rod.

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Pretty tasteless title

+1

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Couldn't use RIP Hot Rod Williams because thanks to the dopes on this forum everyone would think he got dunked on. Gotta be direct and to the point with these bozos.

Tried to change it, can't. My apologies as it is pretty tasteless.

Dude, it's not like "RIP Hot Rod" and "Hod Rod is now a dead guy" are the only two options.

How about: "Hot Rod Williams loses battle to cancer" or "Hot Rod Williams passes away"?

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Never knew that. Just mind blown. He was a good player but highest paid?

R.I.P. Hot Rod.

It was in the late 80's when the salary cap jumped up, and older vets like Bird and Magic has singed long term (like 8-10 year deals) work 800,000-1,000,000 annually, and so new contracts were astronomically higher. I mean, you had Jordan making 2 million a year, and he never made more than 4 million until AFTER he'd won FOUR championships (at which point he got handed 30 and 33 million).

Danny Ferry and other rookies were coming in getting offered more for a rookie deal than Bird and Magic had made in their entire careers; then Juan Howard was signing 100 million dollar deals (if I remember correct). There was a HUGE jump in salaries from the late 80's to the 90's. Some role players/starters were getting paid more than older HOF players with MVP awards.

We'll likely see that this offseason. I mean, Ryan Anderson will likely be getting 20+ million a year next season if reports are correct, and in a couple of seasons that will seem like an average contract, but then you look back and he'll be making what Shaq made? And more than the likes of Ray Allen ever made.

Of course, there was an odd space of time where players, like Kobe, Garnett, and Shaq, all got to sign HUGE contracts, and the rule changed, but their contracts got grandfathered in. But we've seen from Jordan making 33 million in 97, it's been almost 20 years and we've yet to see somebody else make that kind of money. Kobe made 30 mil one year, and Shaq and Garnett made 27 and 29 mil one year, not it likely won't be until this offseason that somebody finally tops what Jordan made his last year with the Bulls.

Saddletramp
12-13-2015, 08:45 PM
To whoever changed it, thanks.

And yeah, I'm glad the NBA changed the rules as regards to lengths and individual caps although I doubt anybody on Bird's/Magic's level would ever sign a ten year deal these days with how salaries balloon quick and how GM's aren't as loyal anymore (although I'm sure no trade clauses would be a must in a ten year deal for an all star).

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2015, 12:47 AM

+1

SLY WILLIAMS
12-15-2015, 02:20 PM

And yeah, I'm glad the NBA changed the rules as regards to lengths and individual caps although I doubt anybody on Bird's/Magic's level would ever sign a ten year deal these days with how salaries balloon quick and how GM's aren't as loyal anymore (although I'm sure no trade clauses would be a must in a ten year deal for an all star).

No problem. I liked Hot Rod. Those Cavs teams were easy to root for. If not for MJ who knows how far they could have gone.