PDA

View Full Version : Nepotism in the NBA

Chronz
12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
I know, 2 Clipper threads on the front page is abit much but I need to get this off my chest. Doc Rivers is ruining my team, his unwavering faith in his son's game is making a mockery of what should have been the best Clipper season ever. It sounds drastic because hes only 1 player but I cant imagine everyone on the team is happy with his guaranteed minutes. Im used to seeing our starting lineup throttle teams and our bench giving up leads, but this is deeper. There is literally not a single lineup that has succeeded so long as hes in there.

Hes a decent defender and driver but hes a horrendous passer and his shooting has regressed. He kills ball movement and takes the ball out of the hands of superior playmakers. There is absolutely no reason why he should be playing more minutes than Lance Stephenson, hell hes getting more burn here than he did on a horrible New Orleans team. Its not THAT hard to find a capable backup, Clips had one basically every year before Austin and we have one now in Lance.

This team doesn't need to be conventional since Austin himself isn't a conventional PG. Lance should be the primary playmaker alongside Crawford with Smith facilitating as well. I also think Pablo needs to be given a chance to find his shot. Basically we have options but Doc is letting his love blind him to them. I hope the kid figures it out but in the mean time, he needs to get a few DNP-Fathers Decision.

Scoots
12-11-2015, 08:14 PM
I was so happy, as a Warriors fan, when Doc was made the GM.

I'm sorry for Clippers fans though.

Ty22Mitchell
12-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Doc has been a disappointment for the Clippers IMO. He was supposed legitimize that team by teaching how to win, but he's done nothing of the sort. With or without, that team isn't going to win a title this season.

Quinnsanity
12-12-2015, 02:40 AM
I actually think Austin is a better than decent defender, an actual plus on that end. I'm ok with him as a rotation player, but seeing him get crunch time minutes is... yikes...

If anything, I think the bigger nepotism issue is his unwavering faith in former Celtics. How many unnecessary minutes did Big Baby get? Paul Pierce is a MAJOR part of their roster and he's in his 18th year. He wanted to trade DeAndre for KG. His roster sense is abysmal. I swear to god if he could, he'd bring in KG, Rondo, Ray Allen and Perkins and play them crunch time behind that asinine "OUR STARTING FIVE HAS NEVER LOST A PLAYOFF SERIES!!!!!!" argument.

Ultimately Doc's problem to me is that he's stuck in the past. He refuses to consider crunch time lineups that don't feature two bigs, totally ignoring where the league is going and how much having DeAndre play in certain situations is going to hurt. He brings in players based on past performance and reputation without any idea of how he wants to use them and then abandons them before he can figure it out (see Hawes and Lance). He's completely stubborn, refuses to use the regular season to experiment with different lineup combinations and playing styles and instead holds firm on antiquated strategies that ultimately get his team knocked out of the playoffs. Frankly, if you switched him and Byron Scott would that much be different? Byron made the Finals twice, is he any less of a "winner" than Doc? Because other than that, I don't really see much of the appeal for Doc beyond that attitude stuff. He's never been a good X's and O's coach, his reputation defensively is due mostly to having Tom Thibodeau as his assistant (and later Lawrence Frank). He's always struggled with rotations. What's the appeal here? He just hasn't done all that much to show he's a particularly good coach.

Sadds The Gr8
12-12-2015, 04:45 AM
I can't believe he still plays over Lance. Lance is a flaming idiot but I'll still play him over Doc's son.

JEDean89
12-12-2015, 04:52 PM
this is why doc should never have gotten him to begin with. how do you cut/trade your own son?

blahblahyoutoo
12-12-2015, 06:10 PM
doc is one of the most overrated coaches of all time.

Sadds The Gr8
12-12-2015, 06:47 PM
doc is one of the most overrated coaches of all time.

agreed

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Doc is a great coach. I'll stand by that. What he did in Orlando was great. And he worked wonders in Boston. Granted, he had a great supporting support staff in terms of assistance (just like PJax had Winters).

That said: HIS SON FAWKING SUCKS!!! No father should be coaching his son in a game. PERIOD!!!!

He's not done anything that is impressive as a GM. But his loyalty to his son is fawking rediculous.

I'm not even sure Austin Rivers should be in the NBA.

Kashmir13579
12-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Pablo is so much better

flea
12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Pablo is so much better

I agree if you're being serious. River is probably the worst player who gets over 20 minutes a night in the NBA. Incredible considering the Clips improved depth was touted to much in the offseason. Doc's just not a good coach, regardless of his loyalty to kin.

Tony_Starks
12-14-2015, 03:32 PM
I got no problem with Doc, I'm actually a big fan of Austin Rivers game.

In the grand scheme of things there is a lot of indirect nepotism in the league tho. If you look at the guys that come in the NBA a lot of them are players kids or relatives. Even if their Dads weren't in the NBA just having a pro athlete parent in any sport carries a lot of clout.

Having a name coupled with size and an average- good game by college standards is usually enough to get you at least a cup of coffee in the league...

Chronz
12-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I actually think Austin is a better than decent defender, an actual plus on that end. I'm ok with him as a rotation player, but seeing him get crunch time minutes is... yikes...
Definitely better than average but hes starting to get overrated on that end from the way I've heard some talk. Still, define rotational player. Id be fine with him swapping roles with Lance, he should be a 10-15MPG player to be honest.

If anything, I think the bigger nepotism issue is his unwavering faith in former Celtics. How many unnecessary minutes did Big Baby get? Paul Pierce is a MAJOR part of their roster and he's in his 18th year. He wanted to trade DeAndre for KG. His roster sense is abysmal. I swear to god if he could, he'd bring in KG, Rondo, Ray Allen and Perkins and play them crunch time behind that asinine "OUR STARTING FIVE HAS NEVER LOST A PLAYOFF SERIES!!!!!!" argument.

Ultimately Doc's problem to me is that he's stuck in the past. He refuses to consider crunch time lineups that don't feature two bigs, totally ignoring where the league is going and how much having DeAndre play in certain situations is going to hurt. He brings in players based on past performance and reputation without any idea of how he wants to use them and then abandons them before he can figure it out (see Hawes and Lance). He's completely stubborn, refuses to use the regular season to experiment with different lineup combinations and playing styles and instead holds firm on antiquated strategies that ultimately get his team knocked out of the playoffs. Frankly, if you switched him and Byron Scott would that much be different? Byron made the Finals twice, is he any less of a "winner" than Doc? Because other than that, I don't really see much of the appeal for Doc beyond that attitude stuff. He's never been a good X's and O's coach, his reputation defensively is due mostly to having Tom Thibodeau as his assistant (and later Lawrence Frank). He's always struggled with rotations. What's the appeal here? He just hasn't done all that much to show he's a particularly good coach.

Well Lawrence Frank is still around but yeah, he definitely has a short list for the guys he hasn't gone through war with. Its pretty pathetic IMO

Vee-Rex
12-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Can't blame Doc. Austin Rivers is a top 5 player. Hands down.

goingfor28
12-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Austin really isn't bad in the defensive side of the ball
Jamal gets wayyyy too many minutes, all he does is chuck bricks. He's an absolute negative on both ends of the floor
Lance should get more run, at least see what he can provide. Him sitting on the bench all game is useless

Saddletramp
12-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Figured this thread was about Luke Walton.😙😙😙

Chronz
12-14-2015, 11:16 PM
I got no problem with Doc, I'm actually a big fan of Austin Rivers game.

In the grand scheme of things there is a lot of indirect nepotism in the league tho. If you look at the guys that come in the NBA a lot of them are players kids or relatives. Even if their Dads weren't in the NBA just having a pro athlete parent in any sport carries a lot of clout.

Having a name coupled with size and an average- good game by college standards is usually enough to get you at least a cup of coffee in the league...

Im a fan of the idea of his game, its a shame hes ineffective at it. Every time he comes in, the momentum of the game goes against us. We just let the Pistons back in due to nobody respecting him. Lance didn't even get off the bench today, Doc prolly demoted him for not helping his son back up once.

Hes a decent defender but he can only guard 1 guy if that guy has the ball, offensively, his lack of efficiency (shooting+playmaking) hurts the entire team and its staggering how cocky he is for someone lacking so much talent.

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2015, 02:03 AM
Im a fan of the idea of his game, its a shame hes ineffective at it. Every time he comes in, the momentum of the game goes against us. We just let the Pistons back in due to nobody respecting him. Lance didn't even get off the bench today, Doc prolly demoted him for not helping his son back up once.

Hes a decent defender but he can only guard 1 guy if that guy has the ball, offensively, his lack of efficiency (shooting+playmaking) hurts the entire team and its staggering how cocky he is for someone lacking so much talent.

+1

There is a reason two teams were willing to give him away.

There is no defense for this kid being on the floor of 20 minutes a game. He should be in the D-League, or riding the pine and waiting for injuries/foul trouble to give him a chance to get in-game experience.

Chronz
12-15-2015, 02:24 AM
+1

There is a reason two teams were willing to give him away.

There is no defense for this kid being on the floor of 20 minutes a game. He should be in the D-League, or riding the pine and waiting for injuries/foul trouble to give him a chance to get in-game experience.

Exactly, hes like a poor mans Lindsey Hunter, only without the pressure D or all-around Offense. I dont mind him ahead of the likes of Jordan Farmar cuz hes a negligible upgrade but it was hilarious how Boston held him hostage for that 2nd rounder KNOWING Doc wouldn't want to see his son fail and lose his career.

I wonder if they split the contract that Doc gave him. Dude has 1 skill (driving to the rim) and it relies on others creating angles for him due to the respect they attract that he cant. Hes still young but I hate him getting minutes ahead of proven players. Cant believe Im saying this but I miss Vinny Del Negro, and its not because hes a better coach/leader/tactician, its because Doc LOVES his son. Whats saddest to me is that our announcers are aware to the clamor about Doc and Austin, they make a point to highlight their effectiveness but ignore their deficiencies.

Like today, they literally uttered the words, "this guy can coach, people". When the Clips were up and coming they were brutally honest about the team, now that we have this target and have some talent, they have become true homers. I hate that.