PDA

View Full Version : One-and-done vs. The Warriors. What's your gameplan?

Vee-Rex
12-11-2015, 01:01 PM
You gameplan for YOUR team in one game against these unstoppable Warriors. Win, you get a million dollars. Lose and you get nothing. Dubs fans can simply state how they'd play against their own team. I'll start it off with my Cavs:

On offense:

Attack Curry. I'd tell Irving to attack the paint hard whenever he has the ball. Get Curry moving on defense as much as you can.

When LeBron has the ball, Irving has got to constantly run around screens. Also, I want some pick-n-rolls with LBJ and Irving. If Curry ends up switching on Bron, attack the rim or back him down. Might be able to draw some fouls.

Feed Love in the post and on the elbow. I don't like the matchup if Draymond is guarding him but you gotta figure out a way to get some frontcourt scoring.

Slow the pace. Don't want to get into a shootout or we'll lose every time. The overall goal of offense is to wear Curry down and give our bigs the chance to get offensive rebounds. Can't do that with a fast paced game.

On defense:

Do not double-team Curry. People don't realize it, but that's when the Dubs really get unstoppable.

Guard Curry with multiple defenders throughout the game. Get in his face, do whatever it takes to make him uncomfortable. Sure, we're gonna get burned on a lot of plays, but I think it's the best way to keep him out of rhythm.

I want Delly on him, Shumpert on him, Irving on him, and even Jared Cunningham to guard him (decent defender lately). Keep fresh bodies in Curry's grill, giving him no space.

Mozgov was exposed by Kerr in the finals. He cannot guard Curry on the pick-n-roll, so I was limit his minutes to when Curry is on the bench. Maybe 16 or so minutes, and the rest of my front-court would involve Love, Thompson, Varejao, and LeBron (he's gonna have to play at the 4 against the Dubs whether he likes it or not).

If we could somehow get Curry to shoot about 44% or less from the field I think we got a shot at winning the game.

Still might lose, but that's my approach.

kobe4thewinbang
12-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Nice strategy. Best shot if any of winning.
I would pick the Lakers, but Kobe's shot is gone and Lakers defense is never there.

I think Spurs have best chance. Parker I think gets burned by Curry, so put Green on Curry with help from Parker (TP can't guard a SF) or maybe give Parker a chance to defend intermittenly and switch Green onto Iggy, or whatever SF. If Green gives Curry fits, bring Kawhi over for a quick double team and hope Klay (Kawhi's assignment) misses if a pass gets through. I think SA can pick off that pass once or twice. Offense revolves around an aggressive Parker (who is at full health) driving inside or kicking out for 3s. Let Kawhi get his crazy dunks and some of that iso play/"be the man" style he's been flirting with. I expect Kawhi will net 20+pts, even with Draymond on him, and Duncan needs to be a presence/contribution down low. SA's bench and LMA should match or just fall under GS's arsenal. This is assuming both teams are shooting well. Spurs can run, but need to favor a slower pace for Duncan and LMA, but still turn it up on the break. And I would say maybe back off Curry like Spurs did against LeBron, but this is 1-Game and too risky.

warfelg
12-11-2015, 05:58 PM
The Sixers have the best shot on account of them sitting everyone and dressing only the ball boy.

lamzoka
12-11-2015, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Popovich already found the schemes to stop the warriors. he's just sitting on it waiting for the perfect time (playoffs)

JordansBulls
12-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Bulls.

Rose play in the game they played this year and Bulls win.

KnicksorBust
12-11-2015, 08:16 PM
There are only a handful of teams that could genuinely compete with them at this point. Most teams just need to pray 2-3 of their players get hot from the perimeter and start hitting an insane clip from 3.

ewing
12-12-2015, 12:54 AM
There are only a handful of teams that could genuinely compete with them at this point. Most teams just need to pray 2-3 of their players get hot from the perimeter and start hitting an insane clip from 3.

i was really hoping you had an answer. i know i don't. play hard is about all i got.

likemystylez
12-12-2015, 01:35 AM
i was really hoping you had an answer. i know i don't. play hard is about all i got.

you almost have to hope the warriors just have an off night, and you are playing your A game. Tonight the warriors played like crap, and were short two starters... but it wasnt quite enough for boston. curry isnt gonna shoot 9-27 all that often.

likemystylez
12-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Bulls.

people forget that warriors like to play down to their competition- so its hard to tell how good they really are. LOL they played dead even to brooklyn, yet they blew out the griz, then laid an egg in one half against the clippers and just decided to destroy them in the second half. they kinda go out and play just as hard as they need to and dont give an ounce more effort than necesary. it almost costed them against the celtics. they got cocky and sat two starters and it almost resulted in a disaster.

Arch Stanton
12-12-2015, 01:50 AM
They've been fantastic, but they are beatable in a 7 game series. I thought Avery Bradley and Evan Turner did a great job in Curry tonight in Boston, much like Delly had in the finals last year. I think you need to 'heavily' contest Curry bombs, and hope he doesn't drain them, then make the rest of the team beat you. Easier said than done apparently. Plus you need to perform well above average on offense. Good luck!
The Dubs have a lot of athletic wings too, so if you can match up against them you have a better shot.

Arch Stanton
12-12-2015, 01:51 AM
Bulls.

Whose who?

Point Guard A:

- 36% from floor
- 23% from 3-point range
- 71% from FT
- Assist to Turnover Ratio 6-to-3

Point Guard B:

- 44% from floor
- 44% from 3-point range
- 90%from FT
- Assist to Turnover Ratio 5-to-2

Arch Stanton
12-12-2015, 01:59 AM
Whose who?

Point Guard A:

- 36% from floor
- 23% from 3-point range
- 71% from FT
- Assist to Turnover Ratio 6-to-3

Point Guard B:

- 44% from floor
- 44% from 3-point range
- 90%from FT
- Assist to Turnover Ratio 5-to-2

Not sure if anyone will bite before I exit so -

PG A: Derrick Rose
PG B: Matthew Dellavadova

Quinnsanity
12-12-2015, 03:02 AM
I'm a Knicks fan, and if I really do only have one game and don't need to worry about keeping my guys fresh, here's what I'd do:

Believe it or not, I'm going big. As big as possible. Afflalo, Carmelo, Derrick Williams, Kristaps and Robin. I'm doing this for two reasons. First, I want to make it harder for the Warriors to switch. Kristaps presents such a size problem on switches, if I'm running PnR with him and Carmelo I'm going to get some favorable mismatches. Even on Draymond the size difference is so great that it presents a really unique struggle for them. Ultimately it forces the Warriors to adjust to me. If they want to put Draymond on Kristaps, that's fine, I'm going to run tons of pick-and-roll to exploit mismatches, try to get Curry or Barnes on 'Melo and keep attacking until I get them to play more conservative defense. If they want Draymond on 'Melo I'm fine dumping it into Robin against a smaller defender (assuming Bogut took Kristaps). The other advantage to playing bigger is that it makes Curry work so much harder defensively. No matter who he gets he's in a size mismatch. I assume they'd think about hiding him on Derrick, but the size difference is so great there that I'd be comfortable sacrificing prettier possessions for the chance to wear down Curry in the post and just let Derrick shoot over him. If they opt for the tougher Afflalo assignment I'm making Steph chase him around screens all night. I want to do as much as I can offensively to wear down Steph. Luckily, between AA, 'Melo and Kristaps my spacing isn't compromised by the bigger lineup, so I'm pretty comfortable that we could score. Melo would be the primary ball-handler, but there would probably have to be more triangle sets to compensate for not having a traditional point guard on the floor.

That's the offense. On defense, we're playing conservatively. There's a lot of debate about how to attack the Curry-Draymond PnR. Honestly, there's no right answer. Either you blitz and Draymond gets a four-on-three, or your zone up behind them and Curry gets a good luck at three. Frankly, there's no way to stop that. Even if Steph makes 45% of his three's, he's going to miss 55%. If you give Draymond those 4-on-3's he's going to create easier points than that. You just have to hope that you get a high-variance night where Steph happens to miss. It happens. He doesn't make every three in every game. You just have to protect the basket (which I do with this much size) and hope that Curry misses. That's all you can do.

Quinnsanity
12-12-2015, 03:20 AM
For the record, though, I do think Cleveland at full strength matches up very well with the Warriors. I think they're one of the rare teams with enough offensive firepower that they can dedicate a lineup spot solely to stopping Steph without compromising their offense (by playing Delly, and frankly, I think he'll get the start at SG against them in the finals with Kyrie hiding on Barnes). There isn't a great solution to that for the Warriors. If you get a switch on the PnR then it's most likely LeBron guarding Curry, which makes it infinitely harder to get the ball to your Draymond mismatch. In fact, with Thompson and Shumpert waiting in the wings, Cleveland is the rare team that really does have the pieces to defend Golden State in late-game situations where they'd need to hold a lead. I think they can match GSW's death lineup by playing LeBron and Kevin Love in the front court with three guards because you can hide Love on Iggy but on the other end, Love is one of the few big men who can actually take advantage of Draymond's size down low. The Warriors have neutered most bigs in those situations by fronting them and keeping the ball away, but that doesn't work on Kevin Love because he's such a good shooter. He'll just turn around and start bombing from the perimeter. So you have to pick your poison, which that lineup isn't equipped to do. And frankly, I don't think Andre Iguodala can effectively guard LeBron for seven games. The only guy in the league who can do that is Kawhi. I mean for God's sake, LeBron torched Paul freaking George in the ECF's two years in a row (averaged like 26 on 54% shooting in those two ECF's combined). Iggy is a very good defender but not close to peak George. Last year he had the benefit of LeBron having to play hero ball, of four-wing lineups preventing him from getting left out to dry in cross matches and switches, and frankly just exhaustion wearing LBJ down. If Cleveland is at full strength, those things probably don't apply to the same degree. So yea, in theory, I think Cleveland is the one team that really pushes GSW.

The one worry we need to have as basketball fans is that David Blatt is a sorely uncreative coach. He hasn't seemed inclined to experiment with LeBron-Love small ball front court lineups yet. Their offense is as simple as last year's (and that likely doesn't change considering the personnel). Let's hope that Blatt coaxes some more interesting basketball out of this group when Kyrie gets back.

sf-fanatic
12-12-2015, 03:25 AM
They've been fantastic, but they are beatable in a 7 game series. I thought Avery Bradley and Evan Turner did a great job in Curry tonight in Boston, much like Delly had in the finals last year. I think you need to 'heavily' contest Curry bombs, and hope he doesn't drain them, then make the rest of the team beat you. Easier said than done apparently. Plus you need to perform well above average on offense. Good luck!
The Dubs have a lot of athletic wings too, so if you can match up against them you have a better shot.

I think the reason why the double team worked so well today was because the Warriors 2nd and 3rd perimeter threats were out of the game. Draymond had open threes all game long, but he has been hesitant on taking them this road trip because of his recent struggles. If they play like that when Barnes and Klay are back, one will have open threes all day long and/or they will find the open guy for the easy basket.

Quinnsanity
12-12-2015, 03:34 AM
I think the reason why the double team worked so well today was because the Warriors 2nd and 3rd perimeter threats were out of the game. Draymond had open threes all game long, but he has been hesitant on taking them this road trip because of his recent struggles. If they play like that when Barnes and Klay are back, one will have open threes all day long and/or they will find the open guy for the easy basket.

Draymond is always kind of hesitant to shoot 3's. It's odd. He's such a decisive, quick passer who sees plays developing several steps ahead. He's very Boris Diaw-like in that way. Diaw really is much more hesitant to shoot 3's than he should be. Both just tend to prefer passing.

joshhorvath
12-12-2015, 04:44 AM
For the Raptors, as our GM said when asked the strategy against the Warriors... "Pray to God"

prodigy
12-12-2015, 06:18 AM
You gameplan for YOUR team in one game against these unstoppable Warriors. Win, you get a million dollars. Lose and you get nothing. Dubs fans can simply state how they'd play against their own team. I'll start it off with my Cavs:

On offense:

Attack Curry. I'd tell Irving to attack the paint hard whenever he has the ball. Get Curry moving on defense as much as you can.

When LeBron has the ball, Irving has got to constantly run around screens. Also, I want some pick-n-rolls with LBJ and Irving. If Curry ends up switching on Bron, attack the rim or back him down. Might be able to draw some fouls.

Feed Love in the post and on the elbow. I don't like the matchup if Draymond is guarding him but you gotta figure out a way to get some frontcourt scoring.

Slow the pace. Don't want to get into a shootout or we'll lose every time. The overall goal of offense is to wear Curry down and give our bigs the chance to get offensive rebounds. Can't do that with a fast paced game.

On defense:

Do not double-team Curry. People don't realize it, but that's when the Dubs really get unstoppable.

Guard Curry with multiple defenders throughout the game. Get in his face, do whatever it takes to make him uncomfortable. Sure, we're gonna get burned on a lot of plays, but I think it's the best way to keep him out of rhythm.

I want Delly on him, Shumpert on him, Irving on him, and even Jared Cunningham to guard him (decent defender lately). Keep fresh bodies in Curry's grill, giving him no space.

Mozgov was exposed by Kerr in the finals. He cannot guard Curry on the pick-n-roll, so I was limit his minutes to when Curry is on the bench. Maybe 16 or so minutes, and the rest of my front-court would involve Love, Thompson, Varejao, and LeBron (he's gonna have to play at the 4 against the Dubs whether he likes it or not).

If we could somehow get Curry to shoot about 44% or less from the field I think we got a shot at winning the game.

Still might lose, but that's my approach.

I agree with Most of what you said. When I watch games and highlights its crazy how much space defenders give Curry. Like you said keep fresh bodies in his face.

1. I would like to see Lebron on Curry in the 4th if Delly/shump and Irving are not guarding him well.

2. Be very physical. beat him up. no cheap shots just clean physical play. If that makes since.

couple things I'd add

Vee-Rex
12-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Just to add on to your post:

I don't think it's a coincidence that being without Klay/Barnes and facing a strong, playoff-style defense the Dubs almost gassed out. Curry shot terribly from the field, putting up his worst FG% of the year. Most turnovers of the year for him coincides with the most minutes of the year for him. It was also among his highest USG% of the year too.

Now imagine if he had to do this in a 7-game series with overtime games, missing starters and everything. Easy way to wear down, right? This is why people can put efficiency aside when analyzing LeBron's final performance.

Dude is human and the Dubs are human, and if they were missing Draymond instead of Barnes then they would've lost.

Here's to hoping that teams are at full health come playoffs.

tredigs
12-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Just to add on to your post:

I don't think it's a coincidence that being without Klay/Barnes and facing a strong, playoff-style defense the Dubs almost gassed out. Curry shot terribly from the field, putting up his worst FG% of the year. Most turnovers of the year for him coincides with the most minutes of the year for him. It was also among his highest USG% of the year too.

Now imagine if he had to do this in a 7-game series with overtime games, missing starters and everything. Easy way to wear down, right? This is why people can put efficiency aside when analyzing LeBron's final performance.

Dude is human and the Dubs are human, and if they were missing Draymond instead of Barnes then they would've lost.

Here's to hoping that teams are at full health come playoffs.
To that point, I considered that 38-11-8 + 6 threes the worst game of the year for Curry (despite your comments being valid). That probably helps explain why I "smh"d at LeBron receiving Finals MVP love (beyond the fact that the person who won it received it due to his defense on Bron... Which seems ridiculous to have it both ways).

KnicksorBust
12-12-2015, 01:35 PM

you almost have to hope the warriors just have an off night, and you are playing your A game. Tonight the warriors played like crap, and were short two starters... but it wasnt quite enough for boston. curry isnt gonna shoot 9-27 all that often.

No Klay. No Barnes. Curry missing a lot. They still win. Invincible?

Btw Curry on an "off" night still efficient.

Cal827
12-12-2015, 07:46 PM
After them winning, despite being a few starters down, AND Curry having an off night, this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.carthrottle.com/workspace/uploads/comments/2015/08/lie-down-try-not-to-cry-cry-a--55bed26d074cf.png

prodigy
12-13-2015, 02:14 AM
How you beat the warriors? Be the Bucks...

likemystylez
12-13-2015, 12:32 PM
How you beat the warriors? Be the Bucks...

LOL at people who think the bucks discovered some sort of strategy that the warriors cant compete with

tredigs
12-14-2015, 12:03 AM
LOL at people who think the bucks discovered some sort of strategy that the warriors cant compete with
He's being a troll and you're just a psycho. Not this comment, but in general. Seek help.