PDA

View Full Version : Popovich is a genius

Scoots
12-11-2015, 10:30 AM
I love basketball and love "good" basketball where teams are maximizing their advantages over the other team ... whatever those advantages are.

Greg Papa who has known Popovich for 30 years said he figured out what Pop is doing with the Spurs, slowing the game down and grinding out offense and defense and that is that Pop built this team to beat the Warriors.

Once Papa said that it makes sense. The Cavs in the finals with LeBron's genius really messed with the Warriors offense and defense by having LeBron totally dominate the ball. Slow the game down (reduce open court opportunities, get the Warriors out of rhythm), value the possesion (no live ball turnovers, don't fuel the fast break), have smart defenders who can stay on assignments and switch smartly, move the ball. What team is built to do that best? The Spurs.

Pop let Belineli and Joseph leave and didn't really add more 3 point shooting. He's slowing the game down which helps protect his older players legs for the regular season grind. And now he goes out of his way to slam the 3 point shot to the media while fully admitting that he's used it to win himself.

The man is a genius.

warfelg
12-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Not really ground breaking IMO.

This is the same exact thing said for every team that plays a fast pace in every sport.

Slow down a fast paced football team? Run the ball, burn the clock, value possessions. Facing a fast pitcher in baseball? Step out of the box, take time getting set, have your pitcher be more deliberate. Facing a fast paced basketball team? Be deliberate, take time on offense, move the ball without making mistakes.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2015, 11:01 AM
I have hated the Spurs since 1993. But, I have come to respect them, and Pops is probably my favorite coach of all time. When he retires, and writes a book, I will be the first one in line to get it.

He is brilliant when it comes to basketball. I get he has a great GM, and front office. But he is able to change his system, moves naked to the eye, to form every player he gets into a contributor.

The 2014 run after game 4 against Dallas was the most beautiful basketball I have ever watched. The Spurs would have beaten any team in history over that month stretch.

Scoots
12-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Not really ground breaking IMO.

This is the same exact thing said for every team that plays a fast pace in every sport.

Slow down a fast paced football team? Run the ball, burn the clock, value possessions. Facing a fast pitcher in baseball? Step out of the box, take time getting set, have your pitcher be more deliberate. Facing a fast paced basketball team? Be deliberate, take time on offense, move the ball without making mistakes.

But has anybody built a team as well as the Spurs are built to do it? Also while the NBA is moving toward the pace and space trend that Pop accelerated a few years ago now Pop is going the other way. Wing D, smart ball handling, balanced post and wing scoring.

warfelg
12-11-2015, 11:36 AM
But has anybody built a team as well as the Spurs are built to do it? Also while the NBA is moving toward the pace and space trend that Pop accelerated a few years ago now Pop is going the other way. Wing D, smart ball handling, balanced post and wing scoring.

The Spurs have always been built the same to me. 2 bigs that can interchange all the time, a great pick and roll PG, and 2 3 and D wings.

To me the difference with the Spurs has been matching their pace to the best players. When it was Duncan and Robinson they slowed down. Even though they still had Duncan, when Parker and Manu were the two best, getting them in space was the biggest thing. Now it's Kawahi and LaMarcus, it's back to a slow down pace.

I think Pop's best coaching asset is his ability to play to the strengths of his best players.

flea
12-11-2015, 11:48 AM
A slow halfcourt and defensive game is how the Spurs have always won. 2013-2014 was the anomaly, not the rule. When you have the best 2-way player in the NBA that's how you win. Now he's got the best frontcourt in the NBA and that's how he intends to win.

Hell the D'Antoni/Nash Suns (progenitors of the transition P&R game) would probably have a title if it wasn't for this Spurs strategy.

ewing
12-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Well, he is a genius and honestly most of the sheep running NBA teams would have tried to see if there 100 guards could keep up with the Warriors or replaced/add other younger gaurds that are not as good as the old guys forget Steph and Klay. Its the same type of thing we hear on this board but there is always more then one way to skin a cat

Stinkyoutsider
12-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Pop is one of my favorites because he's completely open minded about everything.

I started to respect him even more after I saw a TV special where it was explained that Pop had his players working on the very basic skills in the game during practice. Like chest passes and basic dribbling drills basic. I mean, these guys are pros and Pop still has them working on the very basics. You expect the players to be very proficient in these skills by the time they get to the league but I like the open minded thinking that players still need to practice these skills all the time.

Sly Guy
12-11-2015, 02:26 PM
The Spurs have always been built the same to me. 2 bigs that can interchange all the time, a great pick and roll PG, and 2 3 and D wings.

To me the difference with the Spurs has been matching their pace to the best players. When it was Duncan and Robinson they slowed down. Even though they still had Duncan, when Parker and Manu were the two best, getting them in space was the biggest thing. Now it's Kawahi and LaMarcus, it's back to a slow down pace.

I think Pop's best coaching asset is his ability to play to the strengths of his best players.

his in-game adjustments are huge as well.

Scoots
12-11-2015, 05:49 PM
I love the idea of counter-programming the latest trends. When everyone is going small, go big.

tsubibo
12-11-2015, 11:58 PM
He is a genius. I love how he manages to squeeze the most out of his players.

More-Than-Most
12-12-2015, 12:28 AM
He is the GOAT to me

ewing
12-12-2015, 12:52 AM
He is the GOAT to me

i agree.

JAZZNC
12-12-2015, 01:32 AM
Would it be hugely out of line to say that the average NBA fan would have never heard his name without TD? Guys in the Jazz forum always talk about the Spurs system and I feel like it is great but the key to everything "Spurs" has and always will be Tim Duncan. Pop is great (please do not think I am saying otherwise) but having quite possibly the most coachable superstar in NBA history makes your job a helluva lot easier. I guess what Im saying is getting to be in a stable situation with Top 10 all time talent for forever...it allows you to grow as a coach where a lot of good coaches get stuck coaching Demarcus Cousins type guys or just horribly ran situations.

That said, Pop has had a great situation and I feel he has made the most of it. Contenders for nearly 2 decades is way more than impressive.

JAZZNC
12-12-2015, 01:33 AM
Would it be hugely out of line to say that the average NBA fan would have never heard his name without TD? Guys in the Jazz forum always talk about the Spurs system and I feel like it is great but the key to everything "Spurs" has and always will be Tim Duncan. Pop is great (please do not think I am saying otherwise) but having quite possibly the most coachable superstar in NBA history makes your job a helluva lot easier. I guess what Im saying is getting to be in a stable situation with Top 10 all time talent for forever...it allows you to grow as a coach where a lot of good coaches get stuck coaching Demarcus Cousins type guys or just horribly ran situations and just simply never get that chance.

That said, Pop has had a great situation and I feel he has made the most of it. Contenders for nearly 2 decades is way more than impressive.

ewing
12-12-2015, 02:04 AM
Would it be hugely out of line to say that the average NBA fan would have never heard his name without TD? Guys in the Jazz forum always talk about the Spurs system and I feel like it is great but the key to everything "Spurs" has and always will be Tim Duncan. Pop is great (please do not think I am saying otherwise) but having quite possibly the most coachable superstar in NBA history makes your job a helluva lot easier. I guess what Im saying is getting to be in a stable situation with Top 10 all time talent for forever...it allows you to grow as a coach where a lot of good coaches get stuck coaching Demarcus Cousins type guys or just horribly ran situations and just simply never get that chance.

hey Jazz guy, do you have an opinion on Jeff Withey. I thought he might be a steal out of Kansas but injuries and circumstance really haven't given him much chance. Do you think he can play?

JAZZNC
12-12-2015, 07:14 PM
hey Jazz guy, do you have an opinion on Jeff Withey. I thought he might be a steal out of Kansas but injuries and circumstance really haven't given him much chance. Do you think he can play?
He can be a rotational guy but you certainly don't wanna have to count on him for big minutes/production. Decent 2nd C/4th big.

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2015, 08:52 PM
A slow halfcourt and defensive game is how the Spurs have always won. 2013-2014 was the anomaly, not the rule. When you have the best 2-way player in the NBA that's how you win. Now he's got the best frontcourt in the NBA and that's how he intends to win.

Hell the D'Antoni/Nash Suns (progenitors of the transition P&R game) would probably have a title if it wasn't for this Spurs strategy.

An anomaly? They were a defensive rebound from doing it two years in a row. That doesn't sound like an anomaly to me.

flea
12-12-2015, 10:10 PM
An anomaly? They were a defensive rebound from doing it two years in a row. That doesn't sound like an anomaly to me.

I meant their fast-paced offensive style was an anomaly for the Spurs over the last 20 years, they are primarily a halfcourt and defense team in their history.

kdspurman
12-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Pop tends to be a step ahead of other teams. You see teams like GS, Atlanta etc emulating the same style SA won in 2014 with. You have to learn to win in this league differently cause teams will adapt and learn your habits.

This year, they still lead the league in half court passes made, so the ball is still moving. But the pace is slower and the defense is intense. They can go small when they need to and go big as needed. If you aren't versatile and can't score the ball, you'll struggle to get far in todays game. He's got versatile, selfless players. His ability to adapt is one of his many strengths.

Gander13SM
12-13-2015, 12:36 PM
I love basketball and love "good" basketball where teams are maximizing their advantages over the other team ... whatever those advantages are.

Greg Papa who has known Popovich for 30 years said he figured out what Pop is doing with the Spurs, slowing the game down and grinding out offense and defense and that is that Pop built this team to beat the Warriors.

Once Papa said that it makes sense. The Cavs in the finals with LeBron's genius really messed with the Warriors offense and defense by having LeBron totally dominate the ball. Slow the game down (reduce open court opportunities, get the Warriors out of rhythm), value the possesion (no live ball turnovers, don't fuel the fast break), have smart defenders who can stay on assignments and switch smartly, move the ball. What team is built to do that best? The Spurs.

Pop let Belineli and Joseph leave and didn't really add more 3 point shooting. He's slowing the game down which helps protect his older players legs for the regular season grind. And now he goes out of his way to slam the 3 point shot to the media while fully admitting that he's used it to win himself.

The man is a genius.

Spurs are very average in that regard, they can't stop turning it over. They're 20th in the league. Whereas the Cavs are top 6.