PDA

View Full Version : NBA legend Dolph Schayes has passed away at 87.

asandhu23
12-10-2015, 03:05 PM
HANG TIME NEW YORK CITY — Dolph Schayes, a 12-time NBA All-Star and member of the NBA’s 50th Anniversary team, passed away Thursday morning at the age of 87, following a long battle with cancer.

A Bronx native, the 6-8 Schayes played collegiately at New York University, before spending his entire professional career in Syracuse with the Nationals. He was a member of Syracuse’s NBA championship team in 1955, when he averaged 18.5 points per game and 12.3 rebounds per game. Schayes was an All-Star every season between 1951 and 1962, and made six All-NBA first teams over that span.

In 1963, the Nationals moved to Philadelphia and became known as the 76ers, and Schayes spent that inaugural season in Philly as the franchise’s player/coach. After retiring as a player, he continued coaching, winning NBA Coach of the Year three seasons later in Wilt Chamberlain’s first full season with the Sixers. Schayes would later work for the NBA as the director of officiating.

Schayes was inducted into the Nasimith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1973. His son, Danny Schayes, spent 18 seasons in the NBA.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/12/10/nba-hall-of-famer-dolph-schayes-dead-at-87/?ls=iref:nbahpts

Rest in Peace, Dolph.

JasonJohnHorn
12-10-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm glad this wasn't titled "RIP Dolph Shayes", otherwise I would have simply expected a video of him getting dunked on.

NYKalltheway
12-11-2015, 09:05 AM
RIP legend

asandhu23
12-11-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm glad this wasn't titled "RIP Dolph Shayes", otherwise I would have simply expected a video of him getting dunked on.

I avoided that because there was a RIP Greg Monroe thread underneath.