PDA

View Full Version : The anti Warriors

ewing
12-09-2015, 08:58 PM
The Spurs are 18-4 and surprise no one is talking about them. Kahwi has become a beast in the post. They added LMA and David West are still feature TD and Boris plus a some old men at guard. this year they are ranked 25th out of 30 in pace and second overall in D. Lets talk about the slow down Spurs this year. How good are they? If they stay healthy how does a series against the Warriors play out? Are they clearly the 2nd best team in the NBA ect. I hope they stay healthy and we eventually get a show down. I've only seen them once this year so tell me more

kdspurman
12-09-2015, 09:11 PM
They've been absolutely beasts defensively. Offensively they're still a work in progress as guys get familiar with eachother. Idk if they're the Anti Warriors cause GS moves the ball around like we do. But they do play differently.

The starters have been out of sync offensively, Green has been crap shooting the ball, but defensively they're the best easily. I hope we get a GS/SA series as well. They're built in a way to play with GS either big or small. But they are still a work in progress. Which is why their 18-4 start is even more impressive. GS is playing on another level offensively while SA is defensively. It'll be fun next month when they play, but a playoff series would be even better.

giantspwn
12-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Spurs look phenomenal defensively. They deserve a lot more credit.

I can't wait to see them battle it out with Golden State. Hopefully both teams stay healthy.

TrueFan420
12-09-2015, 10:17 PM
The Spurs are to the Warriors what the what the bad boy Pistons were to the Bulls. I can't wait to watch them play.

I think we were fortunate to not face them last year because of their blunders against the clippers. But I want to excercise that demon badly. Can't wait to watch the first match up.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Yep, unfortunately they're built beautifully to take down the Warriors. Slower pace + excellent 3pt D/overall D.

Just ran a quick check and their 93.9 D rating is on pace to be the best in the last 40 years (coincidentally the top 4 are three Duncan-Spurs teams and the old '75 championship Warriors team). And their SRS is actually right there with the Warriors from last year (which was top 5 ever I'm pretty sure).

It'll be an amazing series if they match up at full health.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 10:30 PM
@ewing, what do you mean the Spurs are ranked 2nd overall in D? They're 1st by a mile.

Cal827
12-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Come on, we all know the 6ers are the Anti-Warriors.

The Spurs are the best team in the league. Just look, the records don't lie.

jerellh528
12-09-2015, 10:48 PM
I read something today talking about how as crazy as gs is on offense, the Spurs are right there doin somethin equally as impressive on the defensive end.

Definitely looking forward to watching this matchup, kawhi is very impressive.

TrueFan420
12-09-2015, 10:52 PM
The Spurs are the best team in the league. Just look, the records don't lie.

So you got two differing points right here. Spurs are the best in the NBA followed by the records don't lie. If we are to believe your first assertion that the Spurs are the best then the second point is in fact wrong. Records would lie as they have an inferior record than that of the Warriors. Or did you mean the Warriors are the best and records don't lie. Please clarify.

aman_13
12-09-2015, 10:59 PM
The Raps just took care of them :p

ewing
12-09-2015, 11:06 PM
They've been absolutely beasts defensively. Offensively they're still a work in progress as guys get familiar with eachother. Idk if they're the Anti Warriors cause GS moves the ball around like we do. But they do play differently.

The starters have been out of sync offensively, Green has been crap shooting the ball, but defensively they're the best easily. I hope we get a GS/SA series as well. They're built in a way to play with GS either big or small. But they are still a work in progress. Which is why their 18-4 start is even more impressive. GS is playing on another level offensively while SA is defensively. It'll be fun next month when they play, but a playoff series would be even better.

how to feel about Green overall as a shooter. We have seen him be lights out. I think you guys need that

ewing
12-09-2015, 11:07 PM
@ewing, what do you mean the Spurs are ranked 2nd overall in D? They're 1st by a mile.

just pulled a number from basketball reference. Honestly don't even know what the stat means.

Dade County
12-09-2015, 11:12 PM
So you got two differing points right here. Spurs are the best in the NBA followed by the records don't lie. If we are to believe your first assertion that the Spurs are the best then the second point is in fact wrong. Records would lie as they have an inferior record than that of the Warriors. Or did you mean the Warriors are the best and records don't lie. Please clarify.

Damnit he was joking around like he always does.

You've been on here since 2007, you've most of seen his post before.

lol

Cal827
12-09-2015, 11:17 PM

I'm sorry, I'm just trolling around (I know a few Warrior fans in the thread and forum, and I tend to jokingly bait them from time to time).

The Spurs are a very, very good team, as they have been for about 15 years. Pop is likely the best coach of this generation, and some of their players will likely reach the HOF in the end.

But I don't think the Spurs can stop this Warrior team, unless a significant injury occurs. Frankly, I think this Warrior team is gonna pretty much walk to a second title in a row :laugh2: The Warriors have played teams who slow the game down, but have still killed some of them offensively. The Raptors Pace is right next to the Spurs, but have lost both games, with the Warriors just plain outscoring them when they needed to. The Raptors were up late in both games, but the Warriors just had too many weapons and scored quite a bit against them. Now of course, the Spurs are much, much more experienced than Toronto.

Utah also plays a very slow pace, and the Warriors were able to overcome.

Again, the Spurs have much more experience when compared to the Raptors and Jazz, but the thing about the Warriors is that they seem to have a lethal combination of both athleticism and awareness. At the end of the recent Warriors-Raptors game, you saw the difference, as the Raptors missed a critical foul, missed free throws late, and a couple turnovers with the game in their grasp.

I can see the Spurs getting a couple games in a 7 game series from the Warriors, but I don't think they will be able to beat them in a 7 game series.

Then again, I said that San Antonio wouldn't beat OKC, but I was wrong there :laugh2:

Cal827
12-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Damnit he was joking around like he always does.

You've been on here since 2007, you've most of seen his post before.

lol

:laugh2: You get what I do

Also, the Raptors just beat the Spurs

We're the best in the League. It's been over 4500 minutes since the Raptors last loss, who can match that?

Longhornfan1234
12-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Spurs are fools gold. Product of a soft schedule. Look at their notable wins and losses. They lost to basically every playoff team they have faced except Memphis and Sun. They lost to Thunder, Pelicans, Bulls, Raptors, and Wizards.

Green and LMA have been terrible offensively. Relying on Parker and Manu will not last long. They need help.

mrblisterdundee
12-09-2015, 11:59 PM
The Spurs are the best defensively, but the Warriors are even better offensively. I can't wait to see Leonard and Green, the two best defenders in the league, go head-to-head.

lol, please
12-10-2015, 12:49 AM
The Spurs are the best defensively, but the Warriors are even better offensively. I can't wait to see Leonard and Green, the two best defenders in the league, go head-to-head.
Greeen will treat Leonard like a child.

ewing
12-10-2015, 01:01 AM

what do you mean?

IBleedPurple
12-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Come on, we all know the 6ers are the Anti-Warriors.

The Spurs are the best team in the league. Just look, the records don't lie.Lol, I was expecting 6ers too.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 09:42 AM
how to feel about Green overall as a shooter. We have seen him be lights out. I think you guys need that

I've seen what he can do, he's a knock down spot up shooter. Problem is, teams started realizing (after the 2013 finals) and making him put the ball on the ground. And he's the worst dribbler/decision maker ever...

He's still great defensively and is a big reason why we are who we are defensively. But he's in a major shooting slump. I don't worry about it too much, but down the stretch he'll need to have it going.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 09:44 AM

You've got quite the imagination. It's when you start believing the stuff you say that I'd get a little worried ;)

Longhornfan1234
12-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Green will not get in any type of rhythm with his 3pt shot any time this season.. He's catching and shooting from different sets and looks. No longer getting fed by penetration and motion. Blame Pop for the new post up and mid range game they do now.

LMA needs more shots to get in rhythm with his shooting. He will not get that on the Spurs.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Green will not get in any type of rhythm with his 3pt shot any time this season.. He's catching and shooting from different sets and looks. No longer getting fed by penetration and motion. Blame Pop for the new post up and mid range game they do now.

LMA needs more shots to get in rhythm with his shooting. He will not get that on the Spurs.

It's not Pop man, it's LMA. He's being too unselfish. Pop is encouraging him to shoot more, but nice try.

Scoots
12-10-2015, 10:58 AM
The Spurs have been amazing, particularly considering they are still learning how to play together.

I figured out the other day that even if the Warriors are unbeaten on Jan 2nd (33-0) to get to 73 wins they will have to finish the year (49 more games) at a better win pace than the Spurs are on now to get there, and the Spurs are having a great season! I watched it, but I just can't fathom how the Bulls did it.

People keep talking about how the Warriors were lucky to miss the Clippers in the playoffs ... the Warriors have NO problem with the Clippers. The Spurs on the other hand ... they have OWNED the Warriors. The scheduler has not been kind to the Warriors with travel and back to backs ... but the scheduler has been downright cruel to all basketball fans in making us wait until Feb for the first Warriors Spurs game!

Longhornfan1234
12-10-2015, 11:15 AM
It's not Pop man, it's LMA. He's being too unselfish. Pop is encouraging him to shoot more, but nice try.

Do you watch Spurs games or skim through it? How about feed LMA easy looks early in the game ? Pop isn't really trying to assimilate LMA.

You never want to put any blame on Pop. It might be time to sit Green. Spurs desperately need 3pt shooting. Green will not get any better. Count on it.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Do you watch Spurs games or skim through it? How about feed LMA easy looks early in the game ? Pop isn't really trying to assimilate LMA.

You never want to put any blame on Pop. It might be time to sit Green. Spurs desperately need 3pt shooting. Green will not get any better. Count on it.

Do I watch games? haha... that's funny.

More times than not, LMA gets the ball and isn't looking to shoot first, he's looking to pass. Part of it is on him, part of it is on Pop/team to get him more involved. But this is a process, everyone expected them to take time to figure it out offensively.

I think Green would probably do better off the bench, the spacing will be better and he'll get more open looks. But idk if that'll happen. I wouldn't count on him not getting better though.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2015, 01:53 PM
The Spurs are 18-4 and surprise no one is talking about them. Kahwi has become a beast in the post. They added LMA and David West are still feature TD and Boris plus a some old men at guard. this year they are ranked 25th out of 30 in pace and second overall in D. Lets talk about the slow down Spurs this year. How good are they? If they stay healthy how does a series against the Warriors play out? Are they clearly the 2nd best team in the NBA ect. I hope they stay healthy and we eventually get a show down. I've only seen them once this year so tell me more

Nobody talks about them because they are always a contender. We just sit and wait to see how good they really are after another 50+ win season come playoff time.

Same old, same old

Vee-Rex
12-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Spurs are clearly the 2nd best team. Much respect to them for their amazing play, but I don't think they could handle the Dubs at this time (no one can).

Chromehounds
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Nah the game might not be interesting, the W's by then could be up by 10-15 games in the West.....they might sit Steph and Klay. ;)

Scoots
12-10-2015, 02:36 PM
what do you mean?

ewing, you know you should never feed the troll. :)

Scoots
12-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Nah the game might not be interesting, the W's by then could be up by 10-15 games in the West.....they might sit Steph and Klay. ;)

Pop could sit everybody against the Warriors to make them think ... while saving it for the playoffs.

Longhornfan1234
12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Do I watch games? haha... that's funny.

More times than not, LMA gets the ball and isn't looking to shoot first, he's looking to pass. Part of it is on him, part of it is on Pop/team to get him more involved. But this is a process, everyone expected them to take time to figure it out offensively.

I think Green would probably do better off the bench, the spacing will be better and he'll get more open looks. But idk if that'll happen. I wouldn't count on him not getting better though.

The blame goes on Pop. Pop said he hasn't really been coaching LMA. He's just letting LMA figure it out by himself. I find it disgraceful the team and Pop aren't trying hard enough to get him going early.

Was the LMA trade worth it? The reason Green isn't play well because the team is built differently now. Not as much penetration and motion anymore. Spurs don't win without Green's 3pt shooting. You're going need more 3pt shooting in your lineup besides Leonard. Leonard isn't going to keep shooting at 50% a clip beyond the arc.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 02:57 PM
The blame goes on Pop. Pop said he hasn't really been coaching LMA. He's just letting LMA figure it out by himself. I find it disgraceful the team and Pop aren't trying hard enough to get him going early.

Was the LMA trade worth it? The reason Green isn't play well because the team is built differently now. Not as much penetration and motion anymore. Spurs don't win without Green's 3pt shooting. You're going need more 3pt shooting in your lineup besides Leonard. Leonard isn't going to keep shooting at 50% a clip beyond the arc.

That's what the bench is for. Manu/Kawhi/Patty/Butler/Diaw are all capable of hitting 3's. I'm agreeing, it might be time to get Green to the bench to open it up more for him. that is on Pop to make that judgement call. Cause the starting unit is a beast defensively. So there's a give & take.

But no, you are not correct (yet again) with what you think is happening w/Pop and LMA. Pop wants him to be aggressive. It's LMA who is deferring too much.

Direct Quote from Pop:

"If anything, he's deferred too much," Popovich said. "He's had open shots and hasn't taken them. He's probably done the right thing, for a good-character guy. He wants to fit in. He's deferred to other players. He's moved the ball when probably he should have shot it.

"So now I'm going to him and saying, ‘No, no, no, no, no. You make Popovich come to you and say, hey, LaMarcus, that's a bad shot. I don't want to come to you and say, Hey, shoot the ball. Forget your deferring crap and just go play. I'll tell you when it's too much.' "

I really don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you do re: the Spurs.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Pop could sit everybody against the Warriors to make them think ... while saving it for the playoffs.

I could see that... Last year I think all our games vs you guys were B2B's but I don't recall him benching guys. I think he might play them, but we're a ways away from that.

lol, please
12-10-2015, 03:06 PM
You've got quite the imagination. It's when you start believing the stuff you say that I'd get a little worried ;)

Can't wait til January so I can feed you that crow when Green locks him down and puts up a trip dub. ;)

lol, please
12-10-2015, 03:08 PM

That would be foolish, we have to look no further than last season to remember that matchups, and even playoff appearances aren'ty guarantees. Win the game in front of you day in and day out, don't go planning hypothetical matchups months away that might not even happen, at all.

lol, please
12-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Dubs have the highest SRS ever, second is the 71 Bucks. Spurs lose in 4.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Can't wait til January so I can feed you that crow when Green locks him down and puts up a trip dub. ;)

You sure Green would be guarding him?

lol, please
12-10-2015, 03:21 PM
You sure Green would be guarding him?

considering our system, Green is going to impose his will on every Spur on the court, so yes, not every second on the floor, but he will.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 03:27 PM
considering our system, Green is going to impose his will on every Spur on the court, so yes, not every second on the floor, but he will.

lol, please. :cheers:

Longhornfan1234
12-10-2015, 03:40 PM
That's what the bench is for. Manu/Kawhi/Patty/Butler/Diaw are all capable of hitting 3's. I'm agreeing, it might be time to get Green to the bench to open it up more for him. that is on Pop to make that judgement call. Cause the starting unit is a beast defensively. So there's a give & take.

But no, you are not correct (yet again) with what you think is happening w/Pop and LMA. Pop wants him to be aggressive. It's LMA who is deferring too much.

Direct Quote from Pop:

I really don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you do re: the Spurs.

Answer this question. Do the Spurs as a team do enough to set up LMA early with easy looks? They do not. You keep trying to avoid it.

Chromehounds
12-10-2015, 03:41 PM

It would be an instant classic if the W's pull that stunt on their first matchup.... ;)

Longhornfan1234
12-10-2015, 03:43 PM
"While some would assume that Gregg Popovich would be working closely with the big man to try and make him fit into their system, the legend on the sidelines has taken a more hands-off approach towards coaching his new star player in the early portion of the team's 2015-16 regular season schedul

Coaching him didn’t seem too smart to me,” Popovich said. “If there’s something you might add to his game, you do it after you’ve seen what he does naturally

We will figure out if there is a weakness here or there, but we’ll let him show us,” Popovich said. “We won’t act like we’re real coaches and say, ‘We’re going to work on Jack Sikma stuff today.’ He doesn’t need that stuff.”

I'm getting this stuff from Pop. He hasn't tried to assimilate LMA. Fact.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Answer this question. Do the Spurs as a team do enough to set up LMA early with easy looks? They do not. You keep trying to avoid it.

Ah, avoiding the direct quote that disproves what you're saying :) They get him the ball in the post, and he kicks it back out. It happens far too much.. They run the pick & pop a lot with TP and to a lesser extent Kawhi, and sometimes he'll take that shot but other times he'll pass it back out to a perimeter guy.

He's averaging nearly 16ppg, his minutes are down 6 less from last year and he's getting the 2nd most looks on the team. Kawhi leads with 15.9FGA while LMA is at 13.7. He's 2nd in total FGA. He's also struggled with his shot at times, there's been a few games where he's had it going, but he's in a bit of a slump overall too.

About a quarter of the way through the season, I'm sure he will start to be a bit more selfish. Pop told him they need him to score. And once he does score, and start going into the post more, that'll open it up for other guys (ie: Green) There was no way he was going to come in and take 20FGA like he was in Portland the previous year. He had to learn the system a bit and get comfortable and learn where guys like the ball and what not. SA can't totally abandon their style of play that won them the title and that you see other teams emulating and being successful with. It's a balancing act, and by seasons end, they'll be better.

Funny though, they're 1st defensively and 5th offensively yet struggling offensively to get guys going. Not a bad problem to have

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 03:54 PM
"While some would assume that Gregg Popovich would be working closely with the big man to try and make him fit into their system, the legend on the sidelines has taken a more hands-off approach towards coaching his new star player in the early portion of the team's 2015-16 regular season schedul

Coaching him didn’t seem too smart to me,” Popovich said. “If there’s something you might add to his game, you do it after you’ve seen what he does naturally

We will figure out if there is a weakness here or there, but we’ll let him show us,” Popovich said. “We won’t act like we’re real coaches and say, ‘We’re going to work on Jack Sikma stuff today.’ He doesn’t need that stuff.”

I'm getting this stuff from Pop. He hasn't tried to assimilate LMA. Fact.

That was like the first week man haha... He wasn't coaching him because LMA is a fine player already. He wanted to see how he was in the flow of things. It turns out, LMA has been too passive. Which is why the quote I gave you (far more relevant to this discussion btw) shows Pop wants him to be more aggressive. He had to see it play out a little to know what tweaks/changes to make. And nowhere in there does it say they wouldn't try and get him the ball, so you really aren't proving anything.

Longhornfan1234
12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Ah, avoiding the direct quote that disproves what you're saying :) They get him the ball in the post, and he kicks it back out. It happens far too much.. They run the pick & pop a lot with TP and to a lesser extent Kawhi, and sometimes he'll take that shot but other times he'll pass it back out to a perimeter guy.

He's averaging nearly 16ppg, his minutes are down 6 less from last year and he's getting the 2nd most looks on the team. Kawhi leads with 15.9FGA while LMA is at 13.7. He's 2nd in total FGA. He's also struggled with his shot at times, there's been a few games where he's had it going, but he's in a bit of a slump overall too.

About a quarter of the way through the season, I'm sure he will start to be a bit more selfish. Pop told him they need him to score. And once he does score, and start going into the post more, that'll open it up for other guys (ie: Green) There was no way he was going to come in and take 20FGA like he was in Portland the previous year. He had to learn the system a bit and get comfortable and learn where guys like the ball and what not. SA can't totally abandon their style of play that won them the title and that you see other teams emulating and being successful with. It's a balancing act, and by seasons end, they'll be better.

Funny though, they're 1st defensively and 5th offensively yet struggling offensively to get guys going. Not a bad problem to have

I guess it's all LMA fault and Pop for acquiring him. They destroyed their successful system. There's no depth at 2(can't depend on old Manu to hold up), and Green has suffered because of new change in offense. This style of offense hasn't won a championship since 2010(mid range/post up offense). LMA has always been inefficient player and he hasn't shown any signs of changing.

kdspurman
12-10-2015, 04:51 PM
I guess it's all LMA fault and Pop for acquiring him. They destroyed their successful system. There's no depth at 2(can't depend on old Manu to hold up), and Green has suffered because of new change in offense. This style of offense hasn't won a championship since 2010(mid range/post up offense). LMA has always been inefficient player and he hasn't shown any signs of changing.

Idk what offensive style you're referring to, they're still 3rd in assists and moving the ball around. I think they lead the league in passes made overall in the half court.

But I wonder if you even read my responses. It's no ones fault. It's part of the process

Vee-Rex
12-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Spurs are 18-5 after having added a big talent to an already dangerous team. They're nowhere their potential in terms of chemistry and fit.

... and still 18-5.

What's the problem?

blahblahyoutoo
12-10-2015, 05:14 PM

defensively, kwahi is a beast. from the little i've seen him in the post offensively, i haven't been impressed. been more impressed with his long range jumper.

Scoots
12-10-2015, 06:28 PM
That would be foolish, we have to look no further than last season to remember that matchups, and even playoff appearances aren'ty guarantees. Win the game in front of you day in and day out, don't go planning hypothetical matchups months away that might not even happen, at all.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have to manage an NBA regular season.

lol, please
12-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Spoken like someone who doesn't have to manage an NBA regular season.
Well you don't either bud, so there's that.

Scoots
12-10-2015, 06:31 PM
It would be an instant classic if the W's pull that stunt on their first matchup.... ;)

The first matchup is at GSW so they are more likely to sit for the second one in March

Scoots
12-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Well you don't either bud, so there's that.

True, but I'm also not making dumb proclamations about a very complex concept like what went wrong with the Spurs not winning a title last year. You distilled their entire season, injuries, age, roster issues, running into a hot Clippers team who BARELY beat them, etc into Pop resting players. Had Parker been healthy the results are likely different. Had Manu been healthy the results were likely different. Had the Spurs won the last game of the season (and they were TRYING to win that game) the results were likely different. But no, you decide to blame Pop for resting players.

I KNOW Pop knows more about running an NBA team that I do ... what's amazing is that you don't.

lol, please
12-10-2015, 09:32 PM
True, but I'm also not making dumb proclamations about a very complex concept like what went wrong with the Spurs not winning a title last year. You distilled their entire season, injuries, age, roster issues, running into a hot Clippers team who BARELY beat them, etc into Pop resting players. Had Parker been healthy the results are likely different. Had Manu been healthy the results were likely different. Had the Spurs won the last game of the season (and they were TRYING to win that game) the results were likely different. But no, you decide to blame Pop for resting players.

I KNOW Pop knows more about running an NBA team that I do ... what's amazing is that you don't.
Uh, what? :confused: I'd love for you to show me where I said anything of the sort. Lol.

My original point stands, resting starters to hide some scheme or approach trying to have the upper hand in a playoffs series there is no guarantee will happen is ludicrous. Period.

Arch Stanton
12-10-2015, 09:38 PM
I think the Spurs are loving the usual lack of attention they get. And I'm not surprised with how good they are.

likemystylez
12-11-2015, 01:26 AM
I think the Spurs are loving the usual lack of attention they get. And I'm not surprised with how good they are.

LOL coming into the season, the spurs were one of 3 or 4 teams more likely to win a championship than golden state... which is odd considering they just had one of the most dominant seasons in league history and most of their core players had just hit their prime. I think I even heard chris brousard say the warriors and the pelicans would be around the 5th and 6th seed this yr.

warriors could go 82-0 for 5 straight seasons and win the championship and people would still be saying theyre a fluke. Its weird too cuz during the finals Stephen A smith said he thought the cavbs were going to win but the warriors would win atleast 2 championships in the next 3 or 4 yrs. LOl he gave them basically no chance in october of this year... even though they basically have the SAME TEAM THAT JUST WON.

Its almost like people would think the warriors were more likely to win a ring if they had lost int he finals? maybe its just sensationalism and its not interesting to say the most dominant team in basketball is their pick to win it all.

tredigs
12-11-2015, 01:48 AM

As Stylez alluded to, the Spurs were the preseason favorites along with Cleveland. OKC after them. Curry wasn't even a top 4 choice in Vegas to repeat as MVP. I think the Spurs are being "overlooked" (I use that term loosely because virtually nobody underrates the Spurs) simply because they're expected to be this good, while GS is creating a storm of media coverage due to their play.