PDA

View Full Version : 2001 lakers (playoffs) vs 15-16 warriors who wins?

MTar786
12-09-2015, 08:02 PM
This is an incredible matchup imo. both deep teams. both teams at their peaks. Both unstoppable forces smashing everyone they play. would the warriors have an answer for shaq with their small ball? Young kobe on curry?

xxplayerxx23
12-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Lakers in 6.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Who knows. Stats wise the Warriors destroy them on both ends but it's a really hard dynamic to compare.

xxplayerxx23
12-09-2015, 08:20 PM
I don't know if it's possible for anybody to slow Shaq down. And a prime Kobe man that's a tough matchup for them.

Yanks All Day
12-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Prime Shaq was probably the most dominating player in NBA history. I don't see how the Warriors would stop him. There's just no one close to that on the Warriors.

However, these Warriors are the greatest shooting team I have ever seen. Steph Curry is absolutely dominating the guard position right now. I'd be interested in seeing how Kobe would keep up with that, as well.

I'd lean towards Lakers right now simply because the difference between Shaq and GSW bigs is probably bigger than Curry and LAL guards, but man, this is tough. Two completely different styles.

FraziersKnicks
12-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Shaq would be too much, Lakers in 6.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 08:35 PM
I mean, Curry's more dominant offensively than prime Shaq right now :shrug:

Gagan136
12-09-2015, 08:39 PM
this is going 6 or 7 and i dont feel comfortable picking either team lol, ill make up my mind after some of the stats geeks come by and make their points.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 08:47 PM
this is going 6 or 7 and i dont feel comfortable picking either team lol, ill make up my mind after some of the stats geeks come by and make their points.

Stat-Geek wise the Warriors are just way better on both ends of the ball (assist%, PPP, Offensive rating, Defensive rating, 3pt defensive%, SRS, whatever stat you point to the Warriors are pretty much going to dominate), but likewise I just don't feel comfortable because of the Shaq X-Factor. It'd be a really interesting matchup.

ewing
12-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Who knows. Stats wise the Warriors destroy them on both ends but it's a really hard dynamic to compare.

IDK about that prime can Shaq allows you to control tempo anytime you want, can terrorize you on the offensive glass, gets you in foul troulbe, and makes your defense totally collapse.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 09:28 PM
IDK about that prime can Shaq allows you to control tempo anytime you want, can terrorize you on the offensive glass, gets you in foul troulbe, and makes your defense totally collapse.
To this I'd say why do you think he allows you to control tempo any more than what the Warriors + Curry can produce, and what makes you believe a collapsing D in the paint is more integral than a collapsing D on the perimeter on Curry that includes an offense with much better passing + shooting around him?

tredigs
12-09-2015, 09:33 PM
The thing was, that Lakers D was not good. They could be exploited against the right opponent, and the Warriors likely fit the bill as that right opponent. I'm not claiming to know what would actually happen it's really tough to say, but that team was far from without weaknesses that could be exploited.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
2013 Heat + 2014 Spurs are scarier matchups imo.

YAALREADYKNO
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Shaq was destroying guys like mutumbo and Robinson. Mozgov had some success against the Warriors. I'd give the Warriors a few games because I think they can use their speed and quickness to tire out shaq a little bit but shaq was just too dominant IMO and igoudala ain't checking a young athletic prime Kobe

Phantom Dreamer
12-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Mutombo & The Admiral were past their prime in 2001.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Mutombo & The Admiral were past their prime in 2001.

Correct, and it's not as if we didn't see Shaq+Kobe or Shaq+peak Penny lose in the playoffs. They were firing on all cylinders against the teams they played that post-season, but I don't consider that team nearly as unstoppable as many others do.

xxplayerxx23
12-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Just matchup wise. Nobody is stoping curry but I don't see anybody that could come close to handling Shaq, then prime Kobe I think would have his way with Klay/iggy/draymond but that's just my opinion. Warriors are amazing I just think this is a bad matchup

tredigs
12-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Just matchup wise. Nobody is stoping curry but I don't see anybody that could come close to handling Shaq, then prime Kobe I think would have his way with Klay/iggy/draymond but that's just my opinion. Warriors are amazing I just think this is a bad matchup

Could be right. Honestly I have no idea what would happen.

PowerHouse
12-09-2015, 10:15 PM

Then Curry better get his 40 in the 1st half because Phil will put prime young Kobe on Curry to be on his *** like white on rice for the entire 2nd half.

Lakers + Giants
12-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Although im a laker fan, i truly believe this would be an epic series. Dont know who to choose but whoever wins, wins in 7 imo.

Gagan136
12-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Ill take the warriors

jerellh528
12-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Then Curry better get his 40 in the 1st half because Phil will put prime young Kobe on Curry to be on his *** like white on rice for the entire 2nd half.

Kobe wasn't even in his prime here, but I agree about locking down curry.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 10:57 PM
No Kobe is locking up this iteration of Curry. It would take a team performance and a much better overall defense than they had, imo.

ewing
12-09-2015, 11:02 PM
To this I'd say why do you think he allows you to control tempo any more than what the Warriors + Curry can produce, and what makes you believe a collapsing D in the paint is more integral than a collapsing D on the perimeter on Curry that includes an offense with much better passing + shooting around him?

i think tempo is obvious. the option of throwing in the post lets you control tempo. the other is a guessing game. creating a slow paced game does allow to to set on D though and that makes it easier to defend larger area- that what Bron did and it worked to an extent. we'd have to see them play. I don't think you can point to numbers and say Curry is more dominate on that end though

jerellh528
12-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Honestly I dunno about this one, Those lakers weren't too deep. A more difficult matchup for these warriors might've been the 2010 lakers, the size would be hard to overcome.

Gagan136
12-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Honestly I dunno about this one, Those lakers weren't too deep. A more difficult matchup for these warriors might've been the 2010 lakers, the size would be hard to overcome.
Nah the only reason this is close is cause of Shaq, Kobe is great dont get me wrong, but this Warrior team is too good all around esp. small ball. 2010 Lakers would lose worse than 2001 i think.

nickdymez
12-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Your not using that small lineup on Shaq. And that Lakers team was ridiculously good on Defense. With that said, its going 7 and i don't know who wins..

PowerHouse
12-09-2015, 11:35 PM
We cant forget the glaring difference in coaching. One team has arguably the greatest head coach of all time as well as one of the greatest basketball minds of all time and the other has well...Steve Kerr.

nickdymez
12-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I dont think people realize how good shaq and Kobe were. Forget that, how good shaq was in 2001. Shaq would literally probably have 45 points a game.

More-Than-Most
12-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Lakers in 6... Shaq. The warriors are the better team and prime Curry is better than Prime Kobe in my opinion but SHAQ... It will always be but Shaq... He was so ****ing dominate.

More-Than-Most
12-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Could the pistons defense slow down this warriors offense like they did Shaq/Kobe?

shep33
12-10-2015, 12:05 AM
Lakers... Shaq is too much, plus we match up really well. Kobe, Fisher, Fox... all good perimeter defenders

nickdymez
12-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Could the pistons defense slow down this warriors offense like they did Shaq/Kobe?

Yes. one of the greatest defensive teams ever assembled. Look at the numbers from that year

AllBall
12-10-2015, 12:31 AM
Lakers easily

-Prime Shaq
-Prime Kobe
-Phil Jackson

Are we going to pretend that Curry did not play like he should have in the Finals? AI won the FMVP. Lebron and a bunch of corpses got 2 games out of them.

ewing
12-10-2015, 12:33 AM
dude you just have to put draymond green on Shaq that **** is money :)

MTar786
12-10-2015, 01:01 AM
im saying lakers in 7. I would have said 6 but the lakers kryptonite was ALWAYS scoring point guards. i remember guys like francis, marbury, iverson, bibby, arenas etc etc etc all having career type nights against us. So when the guy happens to be steph curry.. youre kind of in trouble. With that said, shaq is still the best weapon on the floor just based on the fact that no one has a chance against him

tredigs
12-10-2015, 01:07 AM
im saying lakers in 7. I would have said 6 but the lakers kryptonite was ALWAYS scoring point guards. i remember guys like francis, marbury, iverson, bibby, arenas etc etc etc all having career type nights against us. So when the guy happens to be steph curry.. youre kind of in trouble. With that said, shaq is still the best weapon on the floor just based on the fact that no one has a chance against him

Gonna have to be 6 or less. The 56 win defensively shaky '01 Lakers aren't winning game 7 in Oracle if the series is that close, that's for sure.

I think many of you underrate how much better the Warriors are offensively than that team. The beast of Shaq aside. Shaq was beatable, please understand that.

The offense of the 16 Warriors is much improved from last years year-1 model. And, there's no more first year Finals jitters for the young squad. That would matter.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-10-2015, 01:16 AM
slow the game down and feed shaq

lakers in 6

lol, please
12-10-2015, 02:39 AM
Dubs in 5. Every game would be a shootout if SHAQ ATTAQ is healthy, and the warriors win 4/5 of those shootouts. Kobe puts up 81-ish one game and the Lakers steal it in double overtime.

Dade County
12-10-2015, 02:45 AM
The Refs would dictate this series...

So history says that Shaq would come out on top in this series.

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-10-2015, 04:52 AM
If the rules of no zone defense were in place, I go Lakers. But if there is a zone, I would take Warriors. They would double Shaq off the ball and the Lakers would have to rely on 22 year old Kobe and role players. Warriors would have Iggy, Klay, and Barnes to throw at him. No one else on the Lakers could create their own shot.

valade16
12-10-2015, 05:46 PM
I think Shaq would go off and get 35-40 PPG... and I am still leaning Dubs. We have to see the rest of the season develop and how they do in the playoffs, but this Dubs team is insane.

Also, while I think Shaq's presence on the court affects the game in a way very, very few other players ever have, I think it's fair to recognize that right now, Curry is having that level of impact this season.