PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson suspended for smokin' pot? This rule is antiquated.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Pot is legal in Washington
It is legal in Colorado.
It is legal in Seattle.
It is about to be legal in Canada.

That means at least four NBA play or will be playing in regions where pot is just as legal as alcohol.

I realize some of you are going to say 'the rule is the rule; they knew this', but that doesn't mean that the rule makes sense, or that it's fair.

I think it's time the owners and the league stop policing something that isn't even criminal in a lot of parts of the country. This is ridiculous that a player is missing games for this. If the league was concerned about players health, they would have the same rule about tobacco and alcohol, since both are worse for their health than pot.

Is it time to change this rule?

chi-townlove1
12-09-2015, 07:27 PM
No f that. His employer doesn't allow illegal substances to be used. Simple as that. Plain as day. Like if you or I went into work high. Nothing changes. End of story.

warfelg
12-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Rule won't change til it's legal in all 50+Canada.

As simple as that.

5ass
12-09-2015, 07:36 PM
No f that. His employer doesn't allow illegal substances to be used. Simple as that. Plain as day. Like if you or I went into work high. Nothing changes. End of story.

Who told you Jefferson was high on the job?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Larry Sanders was caught multiple times.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Who told you Jefferson was high on the job?

You don't need to be using illegal substances on the job to break your employer's rules about certain things.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 09:00 PM
You have to be caught multiple times for pot before it becomes a suspension btw. It's federally illegal and still illegal in 75% of the states, obviously the league is not going to go out of its way to make it legal for their employers to smoke (or turn more of a blind eye than they do) just because some worse substances are in fact legal.

Phantom Dreamer
12-09-2015, 09:40 PM
What does Seattle have to do with anything?

5ass
12-09-2015, 09:43 PM
You don't need to be using illegal substances on the job to break your employer's rules about certain things.

I'm just saying what chi-town posted wasn't accurate.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2015, 10:26 PM

This 'stance' was already addressed in the OP. If you want to say 'those are the rules', don't even bother. The question is: are they fair.

And your stance that it is 'illegal' is actually false: it is legal for three NBA teams.

And there is also not evidence that he was 'at work high'.

IndyRealist
12-09-2015, 10:42 PM
This 'stance' was already addressed in the OP. If you want to say 'those are the rules', don't even bother. The question is: are they fair.

And your stance that it is 'illegal' is actually false: it is legal for three NBA teams.

What do you even mean by "fair" in this instance? He broke the law, and he broke policy of his employee contract, he broke rules he agreed to. It's perfectly fair because he agreed to it when he signed his contract, and his union agreed to it in their last collective bargaining agreement.

And no, it is not "legal" for three NBA teams. Possession of pot is still a FEDERAL CRIME regardless of whether states have chosen not to enforce it or not. On a federal level they have simply chosen to look the other way. It is still a crime.

jerellh528
12-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Good.

ewing
12-09-2015, 11:13 PM
of course it is stupid but that the dumb rule. same as if SWIM gets caught.

Corey
12-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Stupid rule, but it wont change until it's legal country wide.

AllBall
12-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Legality has nothing to do with it.

There are certain levels of caffeine that aren't allowed by governing bodies of sports.

Caffeine is not illegal and there are no such laws for caffeine for us everyday folks.

However a governing sports body can test athletes for levels they deem excessive and impose penalties.

ewing
12-10-2015, 12:38 AM

There are certain levels of caffeine that aren't allowed by governing bodies of sports.

There are no such laws for caffeine for us everyday folks.

makes sense :confused:

AllBall
12-10-2015, 12:40 AM
makes sense :confused:

You caught me while editing. Read again.

ewing
12-10-2015, 12:48 AM

Caffeine is not illegal and there are no such laws for caffeine for us everyday folks.

However a governing sports body can test athletes for levels they deem excessive and impose penalties.

people with power can make dumb rules.

RaginRondo17
12-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Remember this? MLB prohibits minor leaguers for using marijuana but big leaguers aren't tested for it..make sense.

YAHOO (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baseball-s-hypocritical-marijuana-rules-leave-cardinals-prospect-high-and-dry-045545403.html)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-10-2015, 01:18 AM
its still a drug and forbidden in the NBA so he only has to blame himself

IBleedPurple
12-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Remember this? MLB prohibits minor leaguers for using marijuana but big leaguers aren't tested for it..make sense.

YAHOO (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baseball-s-hypocritical-marijuana-rules-leave-cardinals-prospect-high-and-dry-045545403.html)Huh. Leaned something new.

Scoots
12-10-2015, 10:50 AM

YAHOO (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baseball-s-hypocritical-marijuana-rules-leave-cardinals-prospect-high-and-dry-045545403.html)

Just like it was for steroids. There was no testing until "the steroid era" when they finally agreed to test after outside pressure. The fact that there was no testing for 100 years of baseball before that is just glossed over.

As long as Pot is on the banned list and there is testing then anybody smoking is not making good decisions.

As to whether it should be removed from the banned list ... I don't think it should. These players are paid huge money and as small as the health issues of pot use may be the fact is that it does effect different people in different ways, and if I was an owner I don't want to be paying $20M a year to someone who may get paranoid or demotivated because of THC use. Legality doesn't matter, what matters is the CBA, and businesses can set whatever rules they want in an employment contract (except expressly illegal things) and if you sign it you are agreeing to stay within the strictures of that contract.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2015, 11:09 AM
I think most, if not all, of us agree pot is a ridiculous thing to make illegal, or sit on banned substances lists.

However, it's in the rule books. You retire from basketball, if everything goes amazing, as a young man. You now have 50 years to listen to Cypress Hill and hit it. Why not just wait?

dhopisthename
12-10-2015, 12:39 PM
hey if they want to smoke pot they can quit playing in the nba. even if its completely legal in the US the NBA doesn't have to take it off the banned substances list.

Tony_Starks
12-10-2015, 12:50 PM
You don't get suspended until your third bust. If you're dumb enough to keep getting caught you deserve a suspension and a subscription to High Times.

...and I will try to use antiquated in conversation today, thank you!

KG2TB
12-10-2015, 01:04 PM
It's a stupid rule as well as an insane law. However, Jefferson knew the policy and is getting paid millions of dollars so naturally, he should be expected to follow rules that are blatantly clear. It's really not that complicated. We live in a country where cigarettes and alcohol are legal, but marijuana isn't. It's insane policy, but it's policy.

Scoots
12-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Do you all believe there is no performance negative to pot?

The owners would ban alcohol if they could get away with it because we all know it has performance issues ... but the don't last as long.

Personally I think all drugs should be legalized and no non-violent criminals should ever be imprisoned, but if I was an NBA owner I wouldn't want my guys waking and baking just because it's not going to help them on the court.

Corey
12-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Do you all believe there is no performance negative to pot?

While youre high? Sure. I dont think anyone is accusing him of being lit while he suited up for a game, though.

There's more health benefits for marijuana in terms of recovery, rest and general brain activity than most people are aware of. Additionally marijuana can help with muscle soreness and joint pain as well.

Regardless, Jefferson took accountability and admited it was a mistake whether any of us agree with the bylaws or not.

WOwolfOL
12-10-2015, 05:09 PM
What does Seattle have to do with anything?
Duh that's the 3rd state is legal in

[emoji23]

Tony_Starks
12-10-2015, 05:11 PM
As long as it's just the green and he doesn't start messing with that white girl like Lamar Odom I say party on dude!

Teufelshunde4
12-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Pot is legal in Washington
It is legal in Colorado.
It is legal in Seattle.
It is about to be legal in Canada.

That means at least four NBA play or will be playing in regions where pot is just as legal as alcohol.

I realize some of you are going to say 'the rule is the rule; they knew this', but that doesn't mean that the rule makes sense, or that it's fair.

I think it's time the owners and the league stop policing something that isn't even criminal in a lot of parts of the country. This is ridiculous that a player is missing games for this. If the league was concerned about players health, they would have the same rule about tobacco and alcohol, since both are worse for their health than pot.

Is it time to change this rule?

I'd lose my job if I got popped smoking pot.. And I do get random drug and alcohol testing. Heck a prescription not in my name would cost me my job.

No sympathy from me.

5ass
12-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Is tobacco forbidden as well?

blahblahyoutoo
12-10-2015, 05:20 PM
private league, their rules. don't like it, go play in another league. or go work at McD's and smoke all you want.

jerellh528
12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
private league, their rules. don't like it, go play in another league. or go work at McD's and smoke all you want.

Agreed

Scoots
12-10-2015, 06:26 PM
While youre high? Sure. I dont think anyone is accusing him of being lit while he suited up for a game, though.

There's more health benefits for marijuana in terms of recovery, rest and general brain activity than most people are aware of. Additionally marijuana can help with muscle soreness and joint pain as well.

I've smoked, and I've spent a lot of time with plenty of pot evangelists to know that it should never have been made illegal.

That said, the effects of smoking pot are not all positive and they don't all go away in a day, and some people have different and more severe reactions to it.

Like I said, if I owned an NBA team I'd rather my players didn't smoke anything, and not drink too ... but stopping them from drinking is probably impossible.

Vinylman
12-10-2015, 06:51 PM

huh?

which 3

MonroeFAN
12-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I love getting high personally, and manage to stay fairly productive. But if your boss says don't get high you don't.

Arch Stanton
12-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I mean is the NBA going to come out in support of pot legalization? This isn't just an NBA thing, it's fairly consistent amongst many employers across the states, including MLB, NFL, and I think even in the Olympics. I know the common issue raised is that it's no worse than alcohol, and while I agree, it doesn't necessarily mean we need more legal stuff to get people high/loaded.
I'm not saying I'm against the legalization of pot, but it's complex, and until most of the country finds a way to support the legalization, it will continue to be regulated by employers.

Corey
12-10-2015, 10:35 PM
That said, the effects of smoking pot are not all positive and they don't all go away in a day, and some people have different and more severe reactions to it.

Please elaborate on the long lasting negatives of smoking marijuana

Please explain if I smoke pot on a friday how it will affect me for a Sunday afternoon game

I'm really interested

KnicksorBust
12-10-2015, 10:53 PM
I think it should be legal and taxed in all 50 states but I have no prob with Jefferson eating a suspension here.

krazylegz
12-10-2015, 11:23 PM
you do realize that in washington,oregon,and colorado....you still get denied for pissing positive for marijuana for most jobs right??....it being legal DOES NOT change certain company policies

krazylegz
12-10-2015, 11:26 PM
As long as it's just the green and he doesn't start messing with that white girl like Lamar Odom I say party on dude!

why??...coke is a wayyyyyyyyy more fun party drug than herb...if i had all the money in the world,you can bet id be caught doing something i couldnt afford to do now

5ass
12-10-2015, 11:45 PM

Please explain if I smoke pot on a friday how it will affect me for a Sunday afternoon game

I'm really interested
It wouldn't affect you for that game.

That being said, I just want to put this out there for the kids reading this. You can still abuse Marijuana. Prolonged and heavy use could lead to memory loss, or sometimes mental illnesses (anxiety, bipolar depression, ect.) Moderation is key.

IndyRealist
12-11-2015, 02:10 PM

I'm really interested

People pro and con claim all kinds of things without any scientific evidence, because it is still illegal and so testing it in studies is unethical. The studies being done in Colorado on patients with Dravet Syndrome still required a federal waiver.

Your stance has nothing but anecdotal evidence, either. I've known potheads who were a wreck if they could not smoke daily. I've known pothead who HAD to smoke even though they knew they were going to get drug tested that day for a new job. BUT AGAIN, that's all anecdotal, not evidence.

Corey
12-11-2015, 07:05 PM
People pro and con claim all kinds of things without any scientific evidence, because it is still illegal and so testing it in studies is unethical. The studies being done in Colorado on patients with Dravet Syndrome still required a federal waiver.

Your stance has nothing but anecdotal evidence, either. I've known potheads who were a wreck if they could not smoke daily. I've known pothead who HAD to smoke even though they knew they were going to get drug tested that day for a new job. BUT AGAIN, that's all anecdotal, not evidence.

I mean no, Im making statements based off testing and studies that I've read for classes and work...I'm simply paraphrasing.

If you can provide any evidence to backup your claims I would be interested in reading it.

IndyRealist
12-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I mean no, Im making statements based off testing and studies that I've read for classes and work...I'm simply paraphrasing.

If you can provide any evidence to backup your claims I would be interested in reading it.

If you've got links to back up your claims in researchgate publications, etc. I'd be happy to look at them. I have accounts through my work. All I really need are titles and I can find them myself.

From Columbia University: "Recent research indicates marijuana use may cause permanent damage to areas of the brain related to memory and learning, specifically during important times of neural development (typically from when a fetus is first growing to when someone is in their early 20’s). It could even cause a significant decline in IQ. Quitting marijuana use as an adult did not seem to fully restore those losses of brain functionality. "

From UT Dallas: "Findings show chronic marijuana users have smaller brain volume in the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC), a part of the brain commonly associated with addiction, but also increased brain connectivity." and "Cognitive tests show that chronic marijuana users had lower IQ compared to age-and gender-matched controls but the differences do not seem to be related to the brain abnormalities as no direct correlation can be drawn between IQ deficits and OFC volume decrease."

And Psychology Today: "“These data suggest that marijuana exposure, even in young recreational users, is associated with exposure-dependent alterations of the neural matrix of core reward structures,” the researchers write." and "The study found reduced grey matter volume in nearly all brain regions that are rich in the “receptors” that can trap and respond to cannabis-based chemicals. These regions include a long list of structures, almost all of which are part of a network that controls motivation, emotion, and emotional learning."

That's literally a 10 minute google search ignoring obviously biased sources (like drugfreeamerica.org, and hightimes.com).