PDA

View Full Version : Why are teams letting Steph Curry shoot?

kobe4thewinbang
12-09-2015, 04:31 PM
As soon as he gets the ball, he is shooting, what, 99% of the time? So why are defenders not wise to this yet after 20 games, and being ready for it, or utilizing double/triple teams? He *might* drive or pass, but that drive will be a tough one and it wouldn't hurt to force someone else to hit a shot.

With Curry shooting like a madman (mostly cuz he is open half the time or has enough space), it's hard to believe teams are still letting him touch the ball. I reckon the Spurs or Cavaliers can stick someone on him that will give him fits, but I guess this scoring spectacle shows why defense is so poor nowadays.

Gander13SM
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Pacers tried doubling him last night, he would either split it or pass out. He was killing them.

Also, team don't always let him shoot. They're up in his jersey when he's splashing a lot of these shots.

And when he pushes it in transition the defense is left scrambling.

Plus defending curry goes against everything you're taught in regards to help, weak side/strong side defense and rotations. The way guys defend is second nature, to consciously go against that is difficult. Lapses will happen.

Also defense is better nowadays. It isn't even close. It's MUCH better.

Curry is literally THAT good. Honestly? **** your defense. He's going to do what he does. He's at that level now. The one beyond "top tier", that level very few scorers reach.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Lol smh.

warfelg
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
I mean, jeeze it sounds so easy!

Hawkeye15
12-09-2015, 04:49 PM
it's hard to stop a guy who needs an inch to get a shot off and has a shot radius he does. I guess you could send hard doubles at him 50 feet from the rim, and live with playing 4-3 every time? That might end up worse haha

Kaner
12-09-2015, 05:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiH1eVCggw
on top of his crazy handles and court vision answer at 1:30

Gander13SM
12-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I wonder how many Curry threads we have now? Smh. It's as if nobody else plays in the league hahah

flea
12-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Teams aren't very good at doubling anymore because most don't do it. There are exceptions (Hawks, probably the Heat) but nobody even doubles the best players anymore unless it's weakside help in the post, where you can be physical. The problem is if you're too physical in a double you're going to get a call fouled because of how they call the perimeter game. Worse yet, if Curry starts his shooting motion and there is any sort of contact it's going to be an easy 3 FTs. I think in the playoffs we'll see teams coached up with a better idea of how to do it.

That said, he's just good. He's beating doubles either before they get in position or making the right pass. He wasn't doing that at times in last year's playoffs, this year from I've seen he is. He's an in-prime offensive force. Before this year I would have said I wasn't sure he was a better offensive guard than Nash - now I'm having to reassess that.

tredigs
12-09-2015, 05:12 PM
I liked his, "he shoots the ball 99% of the time he touches it right?" lol. This is where the new NBA tracking stats are cool.

"Adjusted Assists: The total number of a player's assists, FT assists and secondary assists."

Curry ranks T-7th in the league. http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/passing/?sort=AST_ADJ&dir=1

IE, he's more than a willing + capable passer, and it's why teams can't overload on him. He leads the league in secondary assists for the same reason. When you combine that with a ton of "action" offensive sets, 30 foot 3pt range, maybe the best handle in the game and the top paint finishing in the NBA + top FT shooting in the NBA, you have yourself a player that is pretty tough to stop.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2015, 05:20 PM
double Curry and Klay bangs out 10 3's

Htownballa1622
12-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Oh look another Curry thread.

Bostonjorge
12-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Teams do double curry and every warriors player seem to never miss the wide open 3 they get. Before you know it warriors are up by 13 and curry finishes you off with a couple of impossible daggers 3. Teams know curry wants to shoot but he's making step back and off balance 3's. Not much the defender can do.

JEDean89
12-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Can't wait to watch Kawhi guard him. Kawhi is just filth nasty on the defensive end, it just doesn't get captured in stats. Look up guys like Jimmy Butler and Paul George's stats on nights they go against him. He is the shut down artist. Spurs - Warriors series has to happen this year, it will be for the ages.

Scoots
12-09-2015, 07:19 PM
I've been watching Warriors games for 30 years (yikes!) and what's happening this year where defenders are watching Warriors go with the ball toward the basket because they can't leave Curry or Thompson and where a 2nd guy is hedging on Curry pretty much all the time ... Green, Ezeli/Bogut/Barnes, and Iguodala are playing 3 on 2 and it's just like cheating.

Teams could foul Curry on the catch but some of those he's going to get the ball up toward the basket and get 3 FTs and even when he doesn't you are going to be in foul trouble quickly and Curry actually still scores more on 2 FTs on average than he does taking a wide open 3. And if you are going to blitz him to get the ball out of his hands Green, Iguodala, and Livingston are perfectly happy forcing the defense to react quickly and leave a teammate standing wide open ... and if a team goes back to their life long training and rotate on the open shooter that ball might just end up back in Curry's/Thompson's hands with nobody there to contest.

So far the best solutions I've seen is for teams to lurk in passing lanes, hope Curry is off, and make Curry work by having 2 back court guys who are scoring at a high level and make him work.

If Green is hitting 40% of his shots it doesn't matter what the opponent does.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Yeah... I wondered the same things about Jordan. Why do they let him shoot? Why don't the punch him in the face or kick him in the balls?

Seriously.... what are you supposed to do? Force the ball to another 40%+ 3-point shooter? Step up to his face beyond the arc and let him drive pass you to take a closer shot (which he's hitting at almost 60% with now)?

Double team him and let him pass to the second, third, or 4th best 3-point shooter in the league?

Coaches in the NBA know what it going on. They are NBA coaches. It isn't a matter of 'don't let him shoot'.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Hopefully my Bucks put Giannis on him.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2015, 10:22 PM
I wonder how many Curry threads we have now? Smh. It's as if nobody else plays in the league hahah

I know, right? I mean the guy is having an historic season. His team is having an historic season. And this is an NBA forum? Why do so many people want to talk about this?

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Oh look another Curry thread.

Yeah. What's up with that. You'd think this guy and his team were having an historic season and this was a basketball forum or something.

Corey
12-09-2015, 11:20 PM
You cant faceguard a player the entire game. Especially with hand check rules the way they are, screens, player movement, etc. On top of it all, GSW is dangerous from every spot on the floor. He's a good enough facilitator to involve everyone else and wait for the D to break down.

More-Than-Most
12-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Hard to double curry when the team is so ****ing deep. Their entire bench on the sixers probably makes us a 30 win team :(

likemystylez
12-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Hard to double curry when the team is so ****ing deep. Their entire bench on the sixers probably makes us a 30 win team :(

Hmmmmm

likemystylez
12-10-2015, 12:21 AM
The warriors move the ball better than any team in the league. Curry is a threat- but the other guys on that team can dice up a defense that chooses to blitz curry. Guarding curry too close had problems too.

A) It still may not be that effective, as he has such a quick release and can keep stepping back to give himself room.

B) The warriors as a team seem to be able to take over the tempo almost any time they want. They have multiple guys who can initiate the offense, and their loaded with scoring options who can shoot or drive. if your only focus is to stop curry- the rest of that team is still an elite team. They lead the league in assists and percentage of shots assisted on- as a unit, they know how to create quality shots for a variety of different players.

C) Curry is a ridiculously smart player. I heard last week that he was a top player in points in the paint. if he is being overplayed or blitzed he will know right away how to make the opposing team pay... LOl it usually winds up being a secondary assist and one of the bigs getting an alleyoop at the rim with nobody around. Or lol klay starts going off on the other side of the 3 point arc.

ewing
12-10-2015, 12:37 AM
are you saying that letting him shoot is a bad idea?

Htownballa1622
12-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Yeah. What's up with that. You'd think this guy and his team were having an historic season and this was a basketball forum or something.

:p it's not personal.

We just have a thread about curry every time anything happens. Kinda how we used to have a LeBron thread every 5 seconds.

All good though. I'm just pulling your leg.

Scoots
12-10-2015, 11:38 AM
I know, right? I mean the guy is having an historic season. His team is having an historic season. And this is an NBA forum? Why do so many people want to talk about this?

The Starters had a "not the Warriors" episode but still managed to talk about the Warriors. The Warriors are the story right now and the NBA is delighted that leaguewide merch sales are way up driven by the Warriors. But even I am getting a little tired of it.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Yeah its funny how mods let these duplicate thread go on. Yet that one time I had Moute thread up and it was in the main NBA forum for no more then a couple minutes. Was moved to Bucks forum even though we had a Moute thread there as well. Thought that was bull ****. Doesn't matter this forum is down in the dumps. People flocking to other forums and this place is darn near dead. Reason why most flock to main NBA forum cause our team forums barely get any traffic.

But main NBA forum is just duplicate threads of Warriors streak or Curry or trade Cousins or 76ers with tanking or signing Jerry twice. Time to hire in new MODS. Game threads are like a week long instead of daily threads. I noticed that for most of the team forums as well MODS getting lazy. Then you shouldn't be a mod in the first place if your getting lazy.

IKnowHoops
12-11-2015, 12:51 AM
The best player in the NBA on the best team in the NBA by far. You pay extra attention to Steph, then you get destroyed by the lack of attention you paid to someone else. Play him straight up and he's just to good. Loose Loose situation. The team that beats these guys in the playoffs (not saying it will happen) is going to need a guy who can guard him and keep him to reasonable numbers.

IKnowHoops
12-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Yeah its funny how mods let these duplicate thread go on. Yet that one time I had Moute thread up and it was in the main NBA forum for no more then a couple minutes. Was moved to Bucks forum even though we had a Moute thread there as well. Thought that was bull ****. Doesn't matter this forum is down in the dumps. People flocking to other forums and this place is darn near dead. Reason why most flock to main NBA forum cause our team forums barely get any traffic.

But main NBA forum is just duplicate threads of Warriors streak or Curry or trade Cousins or 76ers with tanking or signing Jerry twice. Time to hire in new MODS. Game threads are like a week long instead of daily threads. I noticed that for most of the team forums as well MODS getting lazy. Then you shouldn't be a mod in the first place if your getting lazy.

Curry's level of importance to the NBA >^8,969,519,711,588 Moute' level of importance to the NBA

MonroeFAN
12-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Curry to Draymond to Klay from 35 feet away is why.

72 Wins
12-11-2015, 12:08 PM
If you ever played ball, you'll come across that one guy that has an unbelievable quck release. Multiple that x 50 and you have Curry... that doesn't also factor the amount of screens and sets GS runs to put Curry in great spots. I'm pretty sure every team would like to stop Curry. lol

Stinkyoutsider
12-11-2015, 12:57 PM
If you've got a big point guard, now would be the time to put him in the post to go at Curry when the Warriors are on D.

The way Curry is playing, the only way to stop him is for him to be sitting on the bench. Try to go at him and get him in foul trouble.

Wrigheyes4MVP
12-11-2015, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiH1eVCggw
on top of his crazy handles and court vision answer at 1:30

That's crazy. The side by side split of that other shooter and Curry showing the difference in their releases. The ball is still touching the other shooters fingers by the time Curry's ball is hitting the top of its arc mid air.