PDA

View Full Version : Lebron Signs Unprecedented Lifetime Contract with Nike

Tony_Starks
12-08-2015, 10:42 AM
He's also had conversations with them about branching off into his own Brand like MJ.

This guy is really the Blueprint for superstars right now. Kept his nose clean off the court, keeps a strong support team of his boys around him to make financial moves, and has even been able to recover from the numerous PR blunders he's made to remain the most popular/polarizing player in the game. Went from being to the most hated to once again everybody's favorite.

Can't do anything but salute.

Scoots
12-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Steve Young signed a lifetime contract out of college so lifetime contracts in themselves are not unprecedented, and I bet there are outs on both sides for this deal ... but it's good PR for sure :)

Tony_Starks
12-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Steve Young signed a lifetime contract out of college so lifetime contracts in themselves are not unprecedented, and I bet there are outs on both sides for this deal ... but it's good PR for sure :)

Well a lifetime contract with Nike, after you've already had a 90 milli contract with them before you ever played a single NBA game, is pretty damn well unprecedented.

That is, if those sort of things impress you......

tredigs
12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Since Tony's being lazy, here's the link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-07/lebron-james-signs-unprecedented-lifetime-contract-with-nike

No clear #'s, but apparently estimated at ~400-500 million Starting the trend of creating actual Billion dollar athletes. That's insane.

Tony_Starks
12-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Since Tony's being lazy, here's the link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-07/lebron-james-signs-unprecedented-lifetime-contract-with-nike

No clear #'s, but apparently estimated at ~400-500 million Starting the trend of creating actual Billion dollar athletes. That's insane.

My bad, thanks.

tredigs
12-08-2015, 01:54 PM
My bad, thanks.

lol no worries just giving you ****. And it is insane that Lebron talked about wanting to be the first Billion dollar earner in the NBA, and he's actually going to get there. I'm looking at his career salary and it's at ~150 million, + 90 million from Nike and let's say ~100 million between his other endorsements combined (could be low, I'm not sure), that's nearly 350 million right there. With the cap going up, he's going to average >30 million a year in all future seasons (let's say 6 more years), which is another 175-200 million. Plus this 400+ million and yeah, he got there. Depending on how well he managed his finances, he could retire and start looking at becoming the actual majority owner of an NBA franchise. Now that would be unprecedented. Even Magic with the Dodgers is simply the face of the massive money group that backs him.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2015, 02:11 PM
He's also had conversations with them about branching off into his own Brand like MJ.

This guy is really the Blueprint for superstars right now. Kept his nose clean off the court, keeps a strong support team of his boys around him to make financial moves, and has even been able to recover from the numerous PR blunders he's made to remain the most popular/polarizing player in the game. Went from being to the most hated to once again everybody's favorite.

Can't do anything but salute.

as much crap as LeBron has gotten, it takes a serious head on your shoulders to be named "The King" at 15 years old, and not become an idiot

Scoots
12-08-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't think LeBron is going to make it to $1B. The Nike contract isn't $400 between now and his retirement.

Tiger went past $1B 6 years ago.
Jordan got to more than $1B this year.

Sorry, LeBron ... Jordan did it.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2015, 02:14 PM
I don't think LeBron is going to make it to $1B. The Nike contract isn't $400 between now and his retirement.

I think LeBron will end up making a billion in his lifetime.

McAllen Tx
12-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Well at least we know who to blame, after he retires and his popularity & marketing drop to average player level, when he's found floating in a river.

Case closed...

If the Nike fits you cant acquits.

tredigs
12-08-2015, 02:59 PM

He'll be very close upon his retirement even without the totality of this check. I was just checking out a Forbes article going over this before he left for Cleveland. He had already made 450 million at that time, and 72.3 million in that fiscal year (in 2013 he was already making >50 million in endorsements alone). Let's increase that 72.3 million to roughly 90 million a year per (given this endorsement increase + the NBA salary cap increase), and that's another 450-550 million in total earnings between the start of that article (over a year ago) and his projected retirement in 5-8 years.

Obviously, he's spent a lot of money as well so his net worth is not these earnings (that said, if he's invested intelligently it could be more), but I don't get the impression that he's entirely frivolous (actually I've heard some pretty terrible things from a Cleveland restaurant owner about how if he and his boys come into the restaurant, he expects massive discounts, and he does it because the attention they garner is ultimately worth it, which sucks). I also know that he talks with Warren Buffet quite a bit, which can't be terrible for your investment strategies.

valade16
12-08-2015, 03:00 PM
I think LeBron will end up making a billion in his lifetime.

Well making a billion over your life and being a billionaire are two different things.

Regardless I think he does both.

G_S_W
12-08-2015, 06:10 PM
lol no worries just giving you ****. And it is insane that Lebron talked about wanting to be the first Billion dollar earner in the NBA, and he's actually going to get there. I'm looking at his career salary and it's at ~150 million, + 90 million from Nike and let's say ~100 million between his other endorsements combined (could be low, I'm not sure), that's nearly 350 million right there. With the cap going up, he's going to average >30 million a year in all future seasons (let's say 6 more years), which is another 175-200 million. Plus this 400+ million and yeah, he got there. Depending on how well he managed his finances, he could retire and start looking at becoming the actual majority owner of an NBA franchise. Now that would be unprecedented. Even Magic with the Dodgers is simply the face of the massive money group that backs him.

He probably will eventually but you forget about the IRS thugs who will take probably 40% of it slowing down his progress.