PDA

View Full Version : Which draft-day revision for your team since 2000 would have changed the NBA?

JasonJohnHorn
12-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but it seems like there have been some really bizarre blunders over the last 15 years.

Which draft-day blunders did your team make that could have changed the landscape of the NBA if they had picked correctly?

As a Detroit fan, I see the Darko pick as the obvious choice. Had they picked Wade, they would have had a dynasty. Not only would they have had enough to top the Spurs the second season, but they wouldn't have had the Heat to contend with the following two seasons, and their peak would have been extended significantly.

What about your team? And I expect to hear from some Minny fans here!

da ThRONe
12-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Not trading 2 1st rounders for Holiday. I was in the Barclay center disgusted once I got the news.

warfelg
12-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Not trading 2 1st rounders for Holiday. I was in the Barclay center disgusted once I got the news.

No take backs on that one thanks ;)

warfelg
12-06-2015, 05:15 PM
As for the Sixers:
Marreese Speights over Roy Hibbert
Eat over Cousins

5ass
12-06-2015, 05:16 PM
No take backs on that one thanks ;)

Hinkie ****ed them over by not disclosing his full injury history. He got fined for that.

warfelg
12-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Hinkie ****ed them over by not disclosing his full injury history. He got fined for that.

He did. It's strange though. How did NO doctors not catch those during a physical?

5ass
12-06-2015, 05:21 PM
2005- the magic should've picked Danny granger over fran Vazquez (who didn't come to the NBA). Could've won a title in 2009 at least. He had a short prime, but he was a really good two way player.

WaDe03
12-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Should've drafted Westbrook instead of Beasley. They would've shut down the league with a big 4 of Wade LeBron Westbrook and Bosh.

5ass
12-06-2015, 05:23 PM
He did. It's strange though. How did NO doctors not catch those during a physical?

Apparently its not easy to spot the injury. I don't know the exact details, but hinkie did get fined, so that tells me he did them dirty.

warfelg
12-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Should've drafted Westbrook instead of Beasley. They would've shut down the league with a big 4 of Wade LeBron Westbrook and Bosh.

Wasn't trading Beasley what lead them to having the cap to sign all three?

Plus who's to say they would have chased those two with a Westy/Wade backcourt.

warfelg
12-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Apparently its not easy to spot the injury. I don't know the exact details, but hinkie did get fined, so that tells me he did them dirty.

Well Jrue had a leg injury, and it was in the report. But what he had in NO was micro-stress fractures to the shin bone from not giving an ankle sprain time to properly heal.

What's funny is I'm not a professional athlete (well kinda but does a career as a club golf pro count?) but after my sprained ankle my pediatrist did an MRI to check for micro fractures.

So it makes me wonder why NO didn't do one to check the ankle and even accidentally catch the shin problem.

I'm not trying to absolve Hinkie of responsibility here. Not being 100% clear is an issue. Didn't dampen his ability to trade players. But between Jrue, Gordon, Evans, all with an injury history before NO and all struggling with injuries in NO something is wrong.

5ass
12-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Well Jrue had a leg injury, and it was in the report. But what he had in NO was micro-stress fractures to the shin bone from not giving an ankle sprain time to properly heal.

What's funny is I'm not a professional athlete (well kinda but does a career as a club golf pro count?) but after my sprained ankle my pediatrist did an MRI to check for micro fractures.

So it makes me wonder why NO didn't do one to check the ankle and even accidentally catch the shin problem.

I'm not trying to absolve Hinkie of responsibility here. Not being 100% clear is an issue. Didn't dampen his ability to trade players. But between Jrue, Gordon, Evans, all with an injury history before NO and all struggling with injuries in NO something is wrong.

Good point, NO shares some of the blame, but obviously so does Hinkie.

J_M_B
12-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Wasn't trading Beasley what lead them to having the cap to sign all three?

Plus who's to say they would have chased those two with a Westy/Wade backcourt.

Nah Beas was moved to open up cap space for UD and Miller.

That said, Westbrook would've been an odd fit though, Love would probably be the guy you take.

R. Johnson#3
12-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Terrence Ross over Andre Drummond. JV and Drummond would've been great.

valade16
12-06-2015, 07:01 PM
The Blazers is obvious. Durant instead of Oden. The interesting thing to me is do people think Durant would have left the Blazers after Roy's injuries or would he have thought LMA/Batum/Matthews was a good enough supporting cast? Similarly, would LMA have left because he wasn't able to be the #1 option?

Interesting (and painful) to think about.

bucketss
12-06-2015, 07:15 PM
all i wish is that we tanked harder in 2009 to draft curry

Kaner
12-06-2015, 07:17 PM
If the Bulls had taken Westbrook instead of Rose they knock Lebron out at least once I think.

Trading up for Wade instead of Miami.

Shammyguy3
12-06-2015, 11:24 PM
for the Bullies, what Kaner said is a recent one. Trading LMA for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa is another good one. Oh, taking Marquis teague instead of Draymond Green at #28 or #29 would've been league-changing for sure

warfelg
12-06-2015, 11:29 PM
for the Bullies, what Kaner said is a recent one. Trading LMA for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa is another good one. Oh, taking Marquis teague instead of Draymond Green at #28 or #29 would've been league-changing for sure

I wanted to mention that one for you guys. I hated that trade on draft night.

Hawkeye15
12-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Taking Steph Curry over Jonny Flynn

Scoots
12-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Pretty much taking anyone else for a few years there. Drummond over Barnes would have been interesting, not sure the Warriors win a title that way though. Same for Kawhi over Klay.

Before the Curry draft nothing the Warriors did would have mattered :)

Looking back it is interesting that the Warriors didn't draft early enough to get Livingston, Iguodala, or Bogut. They've also added Brandon Rush and Jason Thompson who were drafted before the Warriors picked.

nycericanguy
12-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Terrence Ross over Andre Drummond. JV and Drummond would've been great.

they would have never worked together, neither can space the floor and JV is even slower than Monroe who couldn't work with Drummond.

But TOR could have traded JV for a decent player and Drummond is a monster.

HeartOfStarks
12-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Knicks trading 2 picks for Eddy Curry, those 2 picks became Lamarcus Aldridge (thru TT trade) and Joakim Noah. Hard to get over that. We also drafted Renaldo Balkman 1 pick ahead of Rondo. And were 1 pick away from Steph Curry (who knowing Knicks former management we would've traded for hot garbage in those first couple injury riddled years, only infuriating me more). It's been a bad 15 years haha. But now we got KP so finally see the light at end of the tunnel.

mrblisterdundee
12-08-2015, 06:49 PM
This totally depends on how much of a change you think counts.
In 2013, the Blazers took C.J. McCollum, who in all regards was a good pick. But Portland could have selected Rudy Gobert or Giannis Antetokounmpo.
The Blazers took Nolan Smith in 2011, but could have had Jimmy Butler. They took Elliott Williams in 2010, but could have had Hassan Whiteside. They took Brandon Rush in 2008, but could have had Serge Ibaka, Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan or Goran Dragic.
I guess the only crystal-clear league-changer would be Greg Oden in 2007 over Kevin Durant. Of course, I would argue the Blazers' biggest draft mistake was in drafting the right player, Moses Malone, being cheap and trading him before he ever played a game.

True Sports Fan
12-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Curry over Reke
Kawhi/Klay over Jimmer
Lillard over T-Rob

Kings make a lot of draft mistakes.

JAZZNC
12-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Kawhi Leonard over Alec Burks. That would have seriously changed the outlook of the league and our team would be a defensive juggernaut. That still is just puzzling to me. Paul George over Hayward would be interesting as well but I don't know if it would have made a big difference for the Jazz anyway. Also could have had Paul instead of Deron but I hate Paul (and I'm a Wake Forest fan) and don't feel like he would have taken us anywhere because he just hasn't proven he can get over the hump as a leader.

valade16
12-08-2015, 09:19 PM
This totally depends on how much of a change you think counts.
In 2013, the Blazers took C.J. McCollum, who in all regards was a good pick. But Portland could have selected Rudy Gobert or Giannis Antetokounmpo.
The Blazers took Nolan Smith in 2011, but could have had Jimmy Butler. They took Elliott Williams in 2010, but could have had Hassan Whiteside. They took Brandon Rush in 2008, but could have had Serge Ibaka, Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan or Goran Dragic.
I guess the only crystal-clear league-changer would be Greg Oden in 2007 over Kevin Durant. Of course, I would argue the Blazers' biggest draft mistake was in drafting the right player, Moses Malone, being cheap and trading him before he ever played a game.

Bigger than Bowie over MJ??

xbrackattackx
12-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Kawhi Leonard over Alec Burks. That would have seriously changed the outlook of the league and our team would be a defensive juggernaut. That still is just puzzling to me. Paul George over Hayward would be interesting as well but I don't know if it would have made a big difference for the Jazz anyway. Also could have had Paul instead of Deron but I hate Paul (and I'm a Wake Forest fan) and don't feel like he would have taken us anywhere because he just hasn't proven he can get over the hump as a leader.

Paul George is one of the best two way players in the league. And hyper efficient. Yes. You pick Paul George every time.

Imagine Gobert,Khawi and George..my lord. Trey Burke would rack the assist up. The Jazz would be a contender instantly. Even with all the same pieces just switching out Alec and Hayward for George and Leonard.

JAZZNC
12-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Paul George is one of the best two way players in the league. And hyper efficient. Yes. You pick Paul George every time.

Imagine Gobert,Khawi and George..my lord. Trey Burke would rack the assist up. The Jazz would be a contender instantly. Even with all the same pieces just switching out Alec and Hayward for George and Leonard.

Oh yeah you definitely take PG over Hayward. I just feel like Kawhi over Burks makes the biggest difference.

PS-Trey would still suck ***.

Scoots
12-08-2015, 11:27 PM

I'm not sure if you or I are mis-understanding but the 2nd "Paul" he was referring to was Chris Paul not Paul George.

mrblisterdundee
12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Bigger than Bowie over MJ??

I'm sorry; I meant to say second-biggest. The MJ over Bowie scenario is so well-known that sometimes it becomes subconscious.

JasonJohnHorn
12-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry; I meant to say second-biggest. The MJ over Bowie scenario is so well-known that sometimes it becomes subconscious.

In fairness to the Trailblazers, Bowie was amazing in college, and they had just drafted Clyde Drexler the year before, so they really didn't need a guard. Obviously hind-sight is 20/20, but on paper that is a good draft choice. But it speaks to the question: do you draft the best available player? Or the position that you need to fill? I think when you are picking in the top-five, you pick the best player. After that, it may be more practical to pick what you need in most instances.

And given how popular a player Jordan was, and how small a market Portland is, I think it's fair to assume that Jordan would not have finished his career there.

valade16
12-10-2015, 04:48 PM
In fairness to the Trailblazers, Bowie was amazing in college, and they had just drafted Clyde Drexler the year before, so they really didn't need a guard. Obviously hind-sight is 20/20, but on paper that is a good draft choice. But it speaks to the question: do you draft the best available player? Or the position that you need to fill? I think when you are picking in the top-five, you pick the best player. After that, it may be more practical to pick what you need in most instances.

And given how popular a player Jordan was, and how small a market Portland is, I think it's fair to assume that Jordan would not have finished his career there.

My favorite "what if" story in the NBA revolves around this draft.

Hakeem said prior to that draft Houston and Portland had talked about Houston trading Ralph Sampson for Portland's 1st Rd pick and Clyde Drexler.

Houston would have had Jordan/Hakeem/Drexler.

WOwolfOL
12-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Definitely trading LMA for Tyrus ****ing Thomas. God I screamed when I heard that.

valade16
12-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Definitely trading LMA for Tyrus ****ing Thomas. God I screamed when I heard that.

Wasn't it straight up too? Like the Bulls simply decided they wanted to trade their 2nd picked player for the Blazers 4th picked player :laugh2:

WOwolfOL
12-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Wasn't it straight up too? Like the Bulls simply decided they wanted to trade their 2nd picked player for the Blazers 4th picked player :laugh2:
No they got Khrypa too or whatever his name is.

Horrible trade.

lamzoka
12-10-2015, 06:17 PM
"Russell over Porzingis and Okafor" Laker Fans 5 years from now