PDA

View Full Version : What do we do with all our SP

ruckus16969
12-05-2015, 02:18 PM
So we have 9 SP on the 40 man roster. If we had 7 or even 8 I could be convinced that we would hold on to them all. But it's been reported and allot of have said that we felt if we signed an ace via FA then we would would have to trade a guy or 2.

Starting 5 (most likely)
Price, Buchholz, Porcello, Miley, Erod

Depth
Owens, Johnson to AAA

Kelly, Wright to the BP

Maybe they keep the team as is and let things work themselves out??

So my question is how do we solve this? Some guys go to AAA, Some to the BP, most likely 1 or 2 will be traded.

Who would you trade? Would you want prospects back? Do you want to fill in other needs on the big league roster? Do you want to use them to shed guys like Pablo or Hanley?

So I'd like to see Kelly in the BP. He could be a lights out 8th inning guy. That could make Koji and his 9m expendable. Wright is in the BP. Wright is in the BP.

I'd move Buchholz (@ is money) for either prospects or packaged with JBJ or Castillo plus for power hitter or #2 type. Then providing Owens or Johnson aren't moves those 2 plus Wright battle for #5 in triple AAA

So the rotation looks set

Price
Erod
Porcello
Miley
Owens Johnson Wright

BP is filthy
Kimbrel
Koji unless traded
Kelly
Taz
RobbyRoss
Barnes
?Wright??

There are allot of options. It will be interesting how this all shakes out

AI
12-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Why do people think we need to trade some of these guys? Buchholz is as injury-prone as they come. Porcello and Kelly both had stints on the DL last year. Johnson had to be shut down due to injury.

Barring a trade for a #2 starter, Johnson and Owens will be stashed at AAA. If Kelly isn't in the pen, he also could be optioned seeing how he has options remaining and Wright is out of options. Buchholz is currently worth more to us at his salary and contract than anything we'd get in return for him right now. I'd rather keep him and take the risk that he can stay healthy and performs and can regain some value. If not, he can be replaced with the depth that you guys want to get rid of.

It's a long season, injuries are a big part of the game and we will need this depth. Only way I would be okay with dealing a starter or two is if we trade for a cost-controlled #2 who also eats innings, someone like Carrasco. If not, then keep everything as is and this will all sort itself out in spring training.

Price, Buchholz, Porcello, Miley and E-Rod is our current starting 5. Farrell pretty much said so yesterday during an interview when asked about his current group of starters, he didn't even mention Kelly.

ruckus16969
12-05-2015, 03:15 PM
That's the list I had for the starting 5 without even hearing the interview. I just think someone's going to get traded. I've been saying it all off season and the reports sense the Price signing have also suggested such.

I'd be ok if they held on to everyone.

celticsman2009
12-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Kelly and Porcello were but on the DL because they were god awful. Take some time to get your #$%$ together and come back. That's what happened.

AI
12-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Kelly and Porcello were but on the DL because they were god awful. Take some time to get your #$%$ together and come back. That's what happened.

Well, now that I've had some time to "get my #$%$ together"...

Porcello and Kelly both had stints on the DL last year.

Is what I stated true or false? I'll wait.

They had to be put on the DL, doesn't matter if it was injury related or simply a phantom DL due to bad results, fact remains is that they did in fact have to be placed on the DL. Brian Johnson did get shut down. Justin Masterson did suffer an injury. Buchholz, shocker, did suffer an injury. Throughout a season, teams normally use approximately 9 starters and we are going to need our depth at some point.

Here's a list of the players that made starts for us last year: Porcello, Kelly, Miley, Buchholz, Masterson, Wright, Johnson, Owens, Barnes, Hill... Hell, even Craig Breslow started a game. Morale of the story: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH DEPTH when it comes to the starting rotation.

Also, it's not like Owens and Johnson can't be stashed at AAA. Kelly does have options remaining or could be used in the bullpen. Only guy that is 50/50 is Wright who is out of options, he'll either make the bullpen or get DFA'd, it's that simple.

ruckus16969
12-05-2015, 04:19 PM
It would almost be a waist not to trade someone. Buchholz or Kelly make the most. Although I think Kelly could be filthy in the BP. Like possibly like Wade Davis filthy

ruckus16969
12-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Maybe the Rockies would want a package led by either Kelly or Buchholz and Owens or Johnson for Blackmon. Probably Kelly sense they won't be competitive right off

AI
12-05-2015, 04:39 PM
It would almost be a waist not to trade someone. Buchholz or Kelly make the most. Although I think Kelly could be filthy in the BP. Like possibly like Wade Davis filthy

Joe Kelly made $603,000 last year and is arbitration eligible for the first time this year. He makes peanuts. Buchholz makes around $13M this year and has an option for $13.5M next season, seeing what some of these pitchers are making via FA, if he rebounds this year we could flip him for so much more.

Maybe the Rockies would want a package led by either Kelly or Buchholz and Owens or Johnson for Blackmon. Probably Kelly sense they won't be competitive right off

Why do we need another OF?

-Lavigne43-
12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
I'm sure you're all aware, but Dombrowski said that teams were already calling about our SP depth, and he will look into it more during the winter meetings. It's possible that we could get a really good return for one of our pitchers with how expensive FA is.

ruckus16969
12-06-2015, 10:54 AM
How good do you guys think EROD can be. Think he ends up being a #2 or better or worse??

Station 13
12-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Keep Kelly around, MLB ready. You know Buccholz will be out the rotation for half a season. Owens/Johnson are not ready for this stage yet.

j-bay
12-06-2015, 02:02 PM
How good do you guys think EROD can be. Think he ends up being a #2 or better or worse??

I think he has the ability to. Many people are talking about the famous "sophomore slump". I think this is one of spots where Price is so key. Price helped Stoman out when they were teammates, with Price giving him advice in his bullpen sessions. Hopefully he does the same thing for EROD.

AI
12-06-2015, 05:18 PM
@jcrasnick: #Redsox are getting feelers on Wade Miley, Joe Kelly, even Clay Buchholz. They'll listen to trade pitches in Nashville.

MasterWok
12-06-2015, 05:42 PM
I want the rotation to be Price, Buchholz, Miley, Kelly, Rodriguez. Porcello will be there though.

Bo Sox Fan
12-06-2015, 06:06 PM
John Henry himself yesterday said this team can still add another starter even after the Price signing.

Has DD hypnotized Henry into an unlimited payroll?

AI
12-06-2015, 06:56 PM
That's not even close to what Henry said...

It looks like the Red Sox are done spending on free agent pitching. But according to owner John Henry, the trade market remains very much in play.

Asked on Friday after David Price‘s introduction if he could see the Red Sox spending again on a free-agent pitcher, Henry said no. But president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski remains on the hunt for a starting upgrade.

“I do think there is trade potential,” Henry said. “We have a lot of pitching and we have a lot of talent. We’re not going to trade away our core young players, but we might be able to get a core young pitcher. Dave is exploring a lot of other things. He’s well known as someone who’s not afraid to pull the trigger. Because of these young players we’re in good shape, not just for this year, but going forward.”

Acquiring a core young pitcher without sacrificing a core young prospect won’t be easy, and presumably takes the Red Sox out of the market for a big name like Oakland’s Sonny Gray, Chicago’s Chris Sale, or Miami’s Jose Fernandez. Henry said that the Red Sox engaged teams on trade talks early in the offseason and found the costs prohibitive.

“We talked to a team about going after a No. 2 (starter), and the price was two everyday position players,” Henry said. “So it was clear to us that going the trade route was going to be expensive. We are committed to staying younger.”

With the winter meetings opening on Sunday in Nashville, one possible trade partner to watch is Cleveland. If Henry wants to add a core young pitcher who could be reasonably obtainable, 25-year-old right-hander Danny Salazar would be one possibility. The hard thrower has struck out nearly 10 batters nine innings over his career, and isn’t eligible for free agency until after the 2020 season.

j-bay
12-06-2015, 09:04 PM
@JonHeymanCBS

Red sox gettin hits on Miley and kelly. They seek pen help.

j-bay
12-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Maybe we can get Pedro, if the price is right, to get Cueto come here on a discount.

Celtic AL
12-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Maybe we can get Pedro, if the price is right, to get Cueto come here on a discount.
That will never happen kid, And besides his Elbow issues scare me. With the free agent pitching market getting thin and crazy money getting thrown around Someone will get desperate and overpay for him.

-Lavigne43-
12-06-2015, 11:50 PM
If we obtain a pitcher in a trade it's probably going to be an Andrew Cashner type. More of a re-working of the rotation then enhancing it. You trade one of our SP for whatever, and then you trade guys like Marrero that have no place on our team for an 'unexciting' SP that Dombrowski likes.

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Porcello will be in the rotation regardless if he's the second, third, fourth or fifth starter next season. Personally the stuff came around in August and September and I think he's a good fit in the three hole. Could it be possible the stress of being the staff ace in the first half produced him trying to put too much pressure on himself? I understand that Buchholz is a good pitcher, but I am rather tired of the break downs every season. I'm okay moving any of Miley, Buchholz or Kelly.

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-07-2015, 08:21 AM
If we obtain a pitcher in a trade it's probably going to be an Andrew Cashner type. More of a re-working of the rotation then enhancing it. You trade one of our SP for whatever, and then you trade guys like Marrero that have no place on our team for an 'unexciting' SP that Dombrowski likes.

Personally I think trading a guy like Buchholz or Miley and signing a guy like Fister would be an upgrade. Fister is coming off a rough year, but I think he's a strong buy low candidate.

celticsman2009
12-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Well, now that I've had some time to "get my #$%$ together"...

Is what I stated true or false? I'll wait.

They had to be put on the DL, doesn't matter if it was injury related or simply a phantom DL due to bad results, fact remains is that they did in fact have to be placed on the DL. Brian Johnson did get shut down. Justin Masterson did suffer an injury. Buchholz, shocker, did suffer an injury. Throughout a season, teams normally use approximately 9 starters and we are going to need our depth at some point.

Here's a list of the players that made starts for us last year: Porcello, Kelly, Miley, Buchholz, Masterson, Wright, Johnson, Owens, Barnes, Hill... Hell, even Craig Breslow started a game. Morale of the story: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH DEPTH when it comes to the starting rotation.

Also, it's not like Owens and Johnson can't be stashed at AAA. Kelly does have options remaining or could be used in the bullpen. Only guy that is 50/50 is Wright who is out of options, he'll either make the bullpen or get DFA'd, it's that simple.

I was talking about Porcello and Kelly getting the bleep together, not you hahah.

AI
12-07-2015, 01:01 PM
@nickcafardo: The Royals are interested in some of Bostons starters not named Price Or Porcello.

Buchholz for Herrera. Deal.

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Buchholz for Herrera. Deal.

Lulz, classic! Wouldn't that be something. Buchholz and Layne (Get him out of here) for Herrera. I up you one!

AI
12-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Lulz, classic! Wouldn't that be something. Buchholz and Layne (Get him out of here) for Herrera. I up you one!

You're still banging the get rid of Layne drum? Go read the other threads, I replied.

ruckus16969
12-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Porcello will be in the rotation regardless if he's the second, third, fourth or fifth starter next season. Personally the stuff came around in August and September and I think he's a good fit in the three hole. Could it be possible the stress of being the staff ace in the first half produced him trying to put too much pressure on himself? I understand that Buchholz is a good pitcher, but I am rather tired of the break downs every season. I'm okay moving any of Miley, Buchholz or Kelly.

I disagree on the notion that if we trade for a starter it wouldn't be an upgrade. I'm not sure what the point of that would be. Give up the same type of pitcher plus guys to get the same type of pitcher who may or may not be a little better.

If we make a trade like that it will be for a cost controlled arm who can slot into the #2 spot.

I'd be ok not getting a SP and getting real good BP arms instead or prospects.

However I still like the idea of packaging a SP or 2 with JBJ or Castillo for a corner OF.

AI
12-07-2015, 01:45 PM
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Mariners talking to #RedSox about trade for starting pitcher. Target is Buchholz or Miley, not clear.

Interesting. Who would we even want?

AI
12-07-2015, 02:27 PM
@bradfo: MLB source believes Red Sox aren't likely to move Joe Kelly.

Good. If we're going to move a starter, move Clay. Kelly offers the same upside.