PDA

View Full Version : The Hanley Question: Should He Stay or Should He Go?

AI
12-02-2015, 01:39 AM
I think that's wishful thinking

Well I've been nice this year, hopefully Santa Dombrowski makes my wish come true of trading Hanley+ in a deal for Votto. :)

celticsman2009
12-02-2015, 12:06 PM
I think the rotation as it stands now should be good enough to make the playoffs. Porcello and Miley cant be as bad as they were last season, Bucholz was solid but will likely miss time. E-Rod should continue to improve. Price should win 15 games +. I'd jack our BP. Our offense was pretty good last year, but I'd move Hanley or Sandoval if the deal is right. Keep existing famr system intact unless it's minor specs that are being moved (Marrero, Coyle etc.)

AI
12-03-2015, 02:33 PM
If you could choose between shedding one of Hanley/Pablo, who would you ship out? Explain why.

The Allen
12-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I would much prefer dealing Hanley over Panda, Pablo has some good defense over at 3B and has a position on this team...as well as is a clutch postseason performer. Hanley is awful on defense, may have more power but overall I'll take Pandas bat, and doesn't have a position on this team. With that said I would do either for James Shields straight up.

-Lavigne43-
12-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I would much prefer dealing Hanley over Panda, Pablo has some good defense over at 3B and has a position on this team...as well as is a clutch postseason performer. Hanley is awful on defense, may have more power but overall I'll take Pandas bat, and doesn't have a position on this team. With that said I would do either for James Shields straight up.

Sandoval was horrendous defensively, probably the worst defensive 3b in baseball.

I'd much rather trade Sandoval over Hanley. Sandoval has more years on his contract, and Hanley actually has a chance at putting together a good offensive season.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2015, 04:30 PM
If you could choose between shedding one of Hanley/Pablo, who would you ship out? Explain why.

tl;dr The only reason I ever suggest trading Hanley is because he's the one that I think could be moved but if I get to pick then Panda reads the bamboo leaves in some other town.

Panda. Both were among the three worst defensive players in MLB. While many claim that Sandoval is a good defender at 3B, he's posted -7, -5, 4, -13 Rdrs over the past four years. The Sox pitching staff features more pitch-to-contact guys that need better defending than that. That general decline as a defender is only outpaced by his offense (76 OPS+) which fits into a bigger decline. I suspect Panda's offense will only break out of that downward slope because 2015 was so bad.

Then, of course, there is the issue of his weight. I'd suggest that the decline may be related to the extra wear and tear that his weight causes. Even though that is speculation, studies have shown a faster attrition for players with his height-to-weight ratio. Combine that with the typical -- even good -- 3B being on the decline by age 32 and it's easy to project Sandoval for something similar to what we've seen from him over the last three years: below average defense with replacement level hitting.

Post season hero? Forgive me for laughing. He has performed well to date and maybe he will continue to do so but we have to be consistent: if Price can be excused for his post-season woes with the suggestion that "at least he gets you there" (a bigger feat over 162 games) then we can't laud Sandoval for getting some timely hits in October after being a drag on the team struggling to get to the post-season. If he is only a post-season hero then he is a luxury that is meaningful only when the right things happen when everyone else does their job.

I have far more often suggested trading Hanley. I am not excited about HanRam as a player these days because his two injured shoulders diminish the only real value that he has. However, his one dimension -- hitting -- has more promise than Sandoval's. As disappointing as he was at the plate, at least he hit his weight (admittedly much easier for him than Sandoval :rolleyes:); his .249/.291/.426 was replacement level while Sandoval was significantly below. In a more positive light, his offense has been somewhat erratic but has not shown a clear decline as has Sandoval's. Publicly at least, he also seems to be taking seriously the mandate to reshape his body from Incredible Hulk to Superman and that could provide some positives. Hopefully he's less injurious to the Sox when Ortiz retires... but the same is not likely to be true for Sandoval.

Sportfan
12-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Easily Pablo. He has 77 mil left for 4 years when you include the buyout, Hanley is 3/66. the DH spot is open to either of them next year so fielding isn't a big concern, Hanley's bat and less years wins me over Pablo would be a mediocre DH and his weight issues are obviously a concern

Also whoever said they would take Panda's bat over Hanley....uhh what? Pablo's OPS+ has declined the pazt 5 years and he has an average OPS+ of 101 the past 3 seasons.

Celtic AL
12-03-2015, 07:01 PM

Looking at both players I perfer trading Hanley because of his Injury history and his attitude but I don't think teams want any part of him but hey that's just me.

Pablo on the other hand could get some good interest for teams looking for 3rd basemen. LA Angels comes to mind

RedSoxtober
12-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Let's consolidate the question/debate over Hanley here. The question is pretty simple: should the Red Sox keep Hanley or trade him?

RedSoxtober
12-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Has anyone besides me thought it curious that the Sox reached out to Hanley and shutdown his attempt to play 1B with Licey this winter? I mean, if they're truly committed to him as a 1B for 2016 wouldn't it be a good idea if he could get some reps there over the winter and jump-start the process? I would imagine that you could pay someone, maybe even re-hire Arnie for the winter, and get some very specific 1B training for him while he works out.

Unless you're not really interested in him as a 1B.

And never were.

And you want to maintain the illusion that he could play 1B for purposes of trading him.

While harboring fears that he can't.

And don't want to confirm that he can't.

Bo Sox Fan
12-04-2015, 04:08 PM
The fact that there's rumours of him being shopped leads me to believe that he will in fact be dealt, perhaps as soon as next week at the winter meetings or shortly after.

I'd rather lose Panda because Hanley still has the potential to rake offensively, but it's hard to complain in dealing either / or.

LA Sox Fan
12-05-2015, 03:33 AM

Just looking at the players without taking into account the team situation, I definitely would keep Hanley since I think he has way more offensive upside. But the reality is that at this point Hanley is a DH on a team that doesn't need a DH until 2017. He has nowhere to play next season.

Put him at 1B and you slow Shaw's development while simultaneously getting a dreadful first baseman. Put him anywhere else and you get a repeat of last season. Panda's defense took a hit last year but at least he has a defined position. Unless they cryogenically freeze Hanley until 2017 I don't see how he can't be traded.

Sarge
12-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Unless they cryogenically freeze Hanley until 2017 I don't see how he can't be traded.

I'd rather give Ted Williams' cryogenically frozen head a shot at 1B....defense couldnt be worse.

ruckus16969
12-05-2015, 10:54 AM
LOL Sarge.

But I'd keep him. We are going to need a bat after this year. Why pay him to play somewhere else. Give him a shot. His trade value can not get worse. Only difference is instead of our selling point being injury ridding fluke year. We'll have to sell him is as a change of scenery type deal. Either way we will have pay a bulk of his contract. I'd rather use him at 1B for the year even if it is below avg. And hope that his bat is good enough to make up for it. Then hope that he is half the DH that Ortiz is.

Pablo is my choice to trade if we had to because if he continues to suck there isn't a clear role for him moving forward.

a4anthony
12-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I prefer to keep Hanley. He was doing solid at the plate before crashing into the wall and messing his shoulder up. He also at least attempts to take care of his body, Sandoval on the other hand is Shrek with a baseball uniform so who knows when his body will break down.